Harry Potter Producer David Heyman is One Smart Fellow

120

Nov 29, 2007

Posted by SueTLC
Uncategorized

“Entertainment Weekly” has released a list of the 50 Smartest People in Hollywood. Seeking to create a list of “of the people who are rocking the industry’s world this year, the people with ideas ’ innovative, creative, dangerous, renegade ideas ’ who are changing the way movies are made,” the magazine ranks Harry Potter producer David Heyman at the number nine spot. They write:

“He has expertly steered the highest-grossing global franchise in film history. Heyman secured the rights to the Harry Potterbooks in 1997 and has done just about everything right since, including bonding with author J.K. Rowling and wisely seeking her input. He helped find unexpected directors (e.g., Alfonso Cuarón, David Yates) who’ve kept things fresh. And he’s kept the cast intact through five films, without any of his three teenage stars succumbing to a Lohanesque episode. While Warner Bros. president Alan Horn deserves credit for making the correct macro decisions, the franchise’s success rests on a thousand micro choices Heyman made, including creating a world, on set and on screen, where people want to be. “

Congrats David!

63 Responses to Harry Potter Producer David Heyman is One Smart Fellow

Avatar Image says:

Hmm interesting. It’s nice to see Heyman is getting some great recognition, but number 9? There are a lot better producers out there I think. No offense Heyman, I still love your work.

Avatar Image says:

Katie I disagree. The trio have gone through 5 films without ever, as the article states, going through anything “Lohanesque”. Much of that credit is attributed to Heyman. He has also drawn in high-profile actors/actresses for all six (broadbent, mcrory for HBP) and has found people like Cuaron and Yates.

Avatar Image says:

Yeahhh David Heyman! God, I have such a crush on this man, he doesn’t get enough attention you know…

Avatar Image says:

Bonding with Rowling deserves no 9 spot alone ;)

Congradulations David,

I agree. You have accomplished something remarkable. Keeping your young stars engaged for the entire series, keeking the knighted thespians happy, and still speaking to JKR make you a superstar. I hope that HBP and DH are as good as the rest of saga.

Avatar Image says:

Duh. He deserves it. He made my favorite books come to life on screen. THANK YOU!!!

Avatar Image says:

They forgot to mention he’s damm hot!!

Avatar Image says:

Hollywood needs more smart women. (Or EW better judges).

Avatar Image says:

I couldn’t have agreed more! David, you rock!!!!

Avatar Image says:

We always hear about “the stars”, the screen writers, the Authors (JKR! Best going!) the directors. But we rarely hear about the Producers! YAY, David.As someone, previously said, “YOU ROCK!”

Avatar Image says:

Too bad he couldn’t find a better screenwriter, better story continuity or create something that was an actual movie over a visual guide for the books. …Books which provide amazing source material, and deserve more than the Warner studio machine has done for them. Namely, the films ought to make sense. Spectacle is not timeless. It’s a shame, given the amount of creative and technical talent involved in the films, that the narrative, the story, is absent. Come on guys, you’re better than this. Why are you congratulating Heyman for doing no-brainer stuff when in reality, artistically these films at the foundation are a failure? EW is owned by the TW parent company that also owns Warner, and their publication is part of the big media machine. Not that it’s all bogus, but their reporting and choices are incredibly limited. His smartest move was securing the rights. Do you know how many books Warner buys rights to in a year? And look at the rest of that list… Think about the context. Potter fans are a literate group. I’d like to see us think more.

Avatar Image says:

Filmmaker: you’re right, the films could be more. HOWEVER, Heyman deserves credit for keeping the trio focused and intact and not Lohanesque through all these years and he attracts big names. That being said, the movies have been very well recieved by critics (just look at Rotten Tomatoes) and we have been through 5 installments without them slowing down one bit. OoTP made the second most after SS/PS. Where else does that happen?

Avatar Image says:

um ok, something is wrong with this list. will smith and Goerge Clooney are #5 and 13 and then Peter Jackson is #16!!!COME ON! and what did Jolie contribute besides the obvious or Sasha Baron Cohen, or Ben Stiller. i mean i like Ben but really…lets be fair. there were better choices. Cate Blanchett is at 45, wth?? i think she has contributed a heck of a lot more than Jolie ever did(even at her best). i dont really understand why Judd Apatow is at the top of the list? knockedup wasnt that good, neither was the 40 yr old virgin. still happy Heyman made it there at least.

Avatar Image says:

Hey, if you have got THE biggest franchise grossing set of films in history, then you are bound to be doing something very right. Bravo David Heyman ! He more than deserves this honor. He is also DARN sexy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:)

[[[Christipher Columbus deserves some credit also for his helping to shape the world of Harry Potter on film.Yes, he was the director but had a lot of pull ]]

Avatar Image says:

Congrats David! You deserve it.

Avatar Image says:

idk… im really glad that he won because i think if dan, emma, or especially rupert had even begun a “Lohanesque” i think i would have cried… but 9 o well…

-HPfreak

PS. I am so happy he won!

Avatar Image says:

I have really no complaints about this article except for Heyman being just at number 9 spot! C’mon! He deserves to be at least on number two!

Avatar Image says:

I like how they say one of his smart moves was bonding with JK Rowling. With these two awesome individuals, how could they not bond? That’s not a question of intelligence; in fact, I’d say that it’s insulting to suggest that he and JK Rowling wouldn’t be friends.

I kid. Congrats, Heyman.

Avatar Image says:

Well, I used to like him. Until I realized he did nothing to make the films more canon, allowed all the line-switchings and cutting all the good things that was in the books and inserting or replacing them with the shrunken heads and all the nonsense that was not in the books at all just to please the new director heh!

I agree with filmmaker.

Avatar Image says:

a well deserved award. As for not enough reconition…how many other producers can any of us put a name as well as a face to? If Dan, Rupert and Emma are the three musketeers then David is the 4th. i’m still seething that Dan wasn’t in the top 25 of the year. Just for the courage to take on the ‘controversal’ role of Alan Strang. That was an act of sheer career courage which could have gone pear-shaped on many levels.

Avatar Image says:

he totally deserves it!! they never give him the attention he deserve!! i mean, harry potter movies are great, has become the most successful movie franchise in history!!! and if heyman hasnt dicover the harry potter book and turn into film, also jk rowling wouldnt be as famous she is know yes, she is really talented and the books are so much better and the movies, but there are alot people that hear of harry potter by the movies

really happy for him!!, but i think he deserved to be in the top 5, anyway, is 2 movies left

Avatar Image says:

I agree, filmmaker. The movies don’t make sense and they don’t convey the ingenuity, humor, and subtley that makes JK Rowling’s work classic. But you have to wonder how much of it due to Heyman, and how much is due to the changing directors? With Columbus, the movies were true to the books but lacking in substance. With Cuaron, there was hardly any reference to any of the books, but it had an artistic taste that was quite appealing, and so and so forth, but Heyman was behind every movie. To me, it seems that if Heyman was more responsible for the films than the directors, then the movies would be more continuous and similar with each other (that is, unless Heyman is extraordinarily eclectic). But since the movies change so drastically with each director, I can only conclude that the ones who should mainly take criticism for the films are the directors, and not David Heyman.

Avatar Image says:

I’m sick of those people who claim these movies don’t make sense. They most certainly do. Perhaps if some of you weren’t so focused on noting differences you could observe the films as they are, not as you wanted them to be.

Congrats, David Heyman! Kicking good job!

Avatar Image says:

and what about dan?? i dont saw his name at the list!! he did huge stuff this year!! first equus, the order of the phoenix, december boys and my boy jack!! why he isnt in the list!! hahaha

Avatar Image says:

Perhaps we shouldn’t be so hard on him specifically as we should the full entity of decision makers at Warner Brothers. Regardless, much of the claims in these comments are misinformed in terms of filmmaking and distribution, and rotten tomatoes, which consists of questionable math (often they rate a negative or harsh, mixed review “fresh”) based on movie reviewers (which differs from actual critics, of which there are very few left) is hardly a reliable source. Harry Potter the films do well because the books are amazing and current, and have been produced/in production and distributed alongside the films, which is unprecedented. They have huge marketing budgets, are cross-promoted across platforms and the WB conglom. and are distributed to an enormous amount of screens. This is a huge licensing property we are talking about and the largest media conglomerate in the world. Any film with 150 mill. per installment will be capable of something that looks shiny and will draw great talent and tech talent on board. Furthermore, the issues with the quality of the films have nothing to do with what is “not true to the book” or otherwise. It’s about keeping the specificity and spirit of the story in tact while also adapting masterfully to the form of screenplay and screen film. If the Lord of the Rings could achieve this, then any fantasy book adaptation ought to be capable. There are fundamental issues with the storytelling in the HP films that should not ever, ever fly in any movie, even a bad movie, on screen or script page. Unfortunately truly great, timely and timeless films are a fluke as the American studio system does not allow for anything genre but licensing platforms, and when we are lucky enough to have that align with a story property we actually like, they are very apt to screw it up, as their goals are not of the stuff that fosters the best possible work. It is a difficult problem and I have been saddened that each HP film has been affected by overall problems with the Hollywood system.

Avatar Image says:

There’s no question that Hollywood has a multitude of problems, but I think the HP films are pretty solid. They could be better, of course, but PoA and OotP take great and, I feel, ultimately successful strides in capturing that ever-essential feel. WB’s demanding time constraint is what I feel holds the films back. Stories like these must be given time, like the Lord of the Rings films. How else can the antics of a cast of developed characters going through entire years of school actually feel real enough? I’m hoping for extended releases of the films from PoA onward. SS/PS and CoS, being quite lengthy, could have been amazing, but they were hindered by bland, uninspired directing, a lack of characterization, and a basically dead world to wrap the characters in.

All said, I like these films, and I’m good with them the way they are. They get the job done and are achievements in their own rights. Books and movies, apples and oranges.

In regards to story, have you ever watched a Miyazaki film? Amazing, even though everything is not always tied together at the end. ;)

Avatar Image says:

I agree with filmmaker and many of the other comments posted on here. I was actually late in getting involved with the HP series, so I had seen the movies prior to reading the books- except OoTP. Coming from this perspective I had no real anticipation of what the movies were suppose to be like, however, when I first watched PS/SS it was in a Drive-In- I was waiting for the third movie to play. After watching PS/SS I looked at my friend and I said “wtf, I don’t get what that movie was suppose to be about.” Ever since then I was actually against the Harryfandom because I had seen the descriptive,lengthy, and entertaining LoTR. I actually started reading the books, because my mother and sister were obsessed with HP and I wanted to understand what the ** the movies were actually trying to portray.

What I think was sad is that JKR had to get involved to make sure Dean Thomas and Angelina Johnson (the Gryffindor Quidditch chaser) were portrayed by black actors.

Major Issues I have with the Movies: - To save time they attempted to get rid of the entire house-elf story, which we learn later on is significant in involving Harry’s and Hermione’s characters, not to mention the contrast of wizard’s prejudices with our world’s. - GoF, enough said - Complete lack of Harry’s internal struggles - Only PoA gave the timeline of a school year. - Liked the shrunken heads with the bus, but completely destroyed what the trio’s visits to Hogsmeade was portrayed as in the books. - They removed all the physical fighting scenes, which showed the twins resolve with Harry, as well as, establishing Neville as a Gryffindor. - Removal of the King’s Cross scenes, which is important in developing Harry and Draco,which will delude the significance of the King’s Cross chapter in DH. - Hermione in PS/SS is already friends with Harry and Ron before the Troll scene. - Also they like to exclude Mrs. Weasley, Charlie, twins, and Ron’s roles in the movies. In fact a friend of mine whose only watched the movies didn’t even know who Percy was or that Ron had more brothers. - lol this is so long but I had to get it off my chest. The basic problem I have is they shorten the movies why too much, honestly, people will watch longer movies. They forget to tie in all the character development, as well as, showing why Harry is the example of love.

To note someone else would have picked this movie, it was only a matter of time. HP is the highest grossing book. However, WB could have easily stamped over JKR’s rights to the characters and completely ignore her input, so, if JKR has no regrets with the way WB portrayed her world than I’ll just have to live with it. Because I do enjoy watching the stories come to life.

And it’s hilarious to watch the movies back to back, because they are soo vastly different in their depictions of the HP world.

Avatar Image says:

Just a shame Heyman has never heard of the words “movie series continuity”. If only he had said no a few more times to new directors, we wouldn’t have the patchwoork guilt of a movie series now.

Avatar Image says:

I see a pattern here. Those who do not like the movies so much or even hate them do not agree with Heyman’s no 9 spot and want him lower or off the list. Those do do love the movies agree with Heyman’s no 9 spot or even want him higher. I am so clever to observe this that I should be on the list too.

Avatar Image says:

My argument in defence of David Heyman’s smart list position are: Name the very very few series which gets better critical reviews than the last. As for continuity, that is mainly down to the fact that Rowling had not finished the series and could not tell the film makers too much, so the film makers have to improvise on the current plots, abstract what they perceive will be the important factors and despite the difficulty of this, the public has by and large embraced their attempts as PROVEN by DVD sales and long running theatre releases. Heyman has selected directors who can make a film that ENTERTAINS in its own right. Keeping the series fresh with different directors who seem to be just right for the book material they are working with. Heyman has allowed his directors creative freedom which always gives films more soul. Heyman has his crew enjoying their work and even bonding for several years. Heyman even pursuaded Emma Watson to stay on at a time when the poor girl was torn between her education (you cant blame her, waht with the Hermione brains she’s got) and faithfully completing the series and she seems happy now with her choice. Heyman has allowed the kids to develop and enjoy their craft.

Having said all of that, I havent a shred of evidence that heyman was actually responsible for all of that! I’m just assuming he was and if its true, then he is a damn smart producer. And of course I am defending him becasue I just simply LOVE the movies. These movies stay true to the spirit of the books and simply get better and better.

Avatar Image says:

It doesn’t matter as much who or what is on that EW list as it matters that we understand the context of the list and who is making the choices and from what pool they are pulling names. You know? This is my point. Once you start to see The Matrix for what it is, then you may realize that the Potter films essentially don’t work on a fundamental level and that is not overcome by the, “it just works” understanding that can be applied to some art; art which just happens to work despite defying the rules. Then you start to wonder why they don’t work, or why they were sent through production that way… and the system starts to unravel. It will be very difficult for you to watch movies if you go there. But, on the other hand, you will appreciate a great movie even more (they are very few nowadays), as you will appreciate the HP books even more than you do now. You’ll also save a good share of time and money. ;-)

JK Rowling is a master, but the studio system is not built to match her in the film realm nor do they care to be because, as consumers, we do not require it.

Also, does no one moderate imposters here? Lame.

Avatar Image says:

“Christipher Columbus deserves some credit also for his helping to shape the world of Harry Potter on film.Yes, he was the director but had a lot of pull”

Yes, but are we not in agreement that he was terrible? Choosing Columbus was a poor, very-commercial start to what is in actuality a specific world that appeals to a lot of people, not a world that is broad and engineered in that way to appeal to everyone. It’s indicative of how WB has always viewed the property.

Avatar Image says:

Couldn’t agree more to what Amy S. (third or fourth comment) said!!

Avatar Image says:

Columbus was better than the style over substance lot that replaced him and none of them have beat the first movie at the box office. LOTR shows you what you get when all the movies are treated as just one movie in three parts, a Masterpiece. The Potter movies have just become a directors excuse to show off without any respect for the series, history or overall story. How many times is Hogwarts going to be reimagined?

Avatar Image says:

I have to smile (and cringe) at the over-long diatribes by wannabe film critics here who are just so much more sophisticaed than the poor slobs who actually lay down their money and take their kids to see films they love, which, not entirely coincidentally, happen to resemble the books they are based on. You people sound like a bunch of tiresome graduate students in film studies, often the detritis of second rate English departments in equally second rate universities, who can rave for hours about the need for films to be the the thing itself, with no more than an effete and begrudging nod to the literature on which they are totally based. Go home and wax enthusiastic over your Indy DVD collections. Horn, Columbus and Heyman know exactly what they are doing, and it’s called family entertainment. It’s somewhere between amusing and entertaining watching howling eunuchs trying to knock down industry giants.

Avatar Image says:

WOW!! quite impressive!!! if i’m ever on who wants to be a millionaire, i’ll know who to call as a phone-a-freind. lol anyone have his number???

Avatar Image says:

i hope no one forgot clemence posey’s birthday!!

Avatar Image says:

Quibbler- the first one made money because of the buzz and people were interested. If you want to praise COlumbus, look at the response to that movie: CoS made far less. Sequels are determined by their predescessors. Why else do you think people dismiss HP as kiddy crap?

Avatar Image says:

First off, I understand precious little about filmmaking and the Hollywood ‘system’, and am not much interested in it. I only know that I generally loathe and therefore avoid big blockbuster type films.

The exception is HP.

As someone who watched the first four films without ever having read a page of the books, or even knowing the basic story in the case of PS/SS, I disagree with those who say the films don’t make sense. I have always understood them. And reading the books since has not made me understand the world either more or less than before.

Even having, since GOF, read the entire book series three times over and become quite a geek, I still love the films for all their messing around. Ironically, my favourite is POA, the one that messes around more than any of them.

By the way, I also find the LOTR so-called ‘masterpiece’ dull and soul-less. I never bothered watching after film 1. So I think there’s more to film-making than being true to the books, assuming LOTR was true to the books as I heard they weren’t.

Avatar Image says:

Lik you really know little about the box office, it is perfectly common now for sequels to pass the originals at the box office like each of the LOTR movies. The HP sequels all had brilliant opening weekends, they failed to do as well as the original because the paying public was less impressed and therefore didn’t keep going back to see them multiple times. POA had the worst 2nd week drop of all the movies, Columbus can’t be blamed for that the producer and director can be.

Avatar Image says:

Concrats, David! You deserved it—those who say you didn’t, well, maybe they have a point, but I personally love the HP movies :)

Avatar Image says:

Columbus was one of the Executive Producers for POA, Quibbler. But we’re splitting hairs here and being overly pedantic.

Regardless of the exact box office figures for each Harry Potter film, and bearing in mind that cinema-going OVERALL has decreased over a number of years (possibly due to new home cinema technology), these films still do extremely well. They are still among the biggest-grossing films each year and the franchise itself is the most successful in history.

But it IS family entertainment. I don’t expect masterpieces. I’m a LOTR fan and believe me, Peter Jackson took MAJOR liberties, especially with the last book. But to get a sense of perspective, the books must always remain the best way to experince these great stories.

Avatar Image says:

I LOVE THE MOVIES!!!! lol.

Concratulations Mr. Heyman!

Avatar Image says:

I fell in love with the first two films “first” before I ever read ANY of the books. The films made me want to know MORE about Harry , his friends ,family and the world he inhabits. I read all five[at that time ] books in the one month of July 2003 and LOVED them passionately. But I still enjoy the film greatly for what they are -films -[as well as to watch an incredible young man grow up with the films],I have my favs, with also the one I enjoy less ,but I’m very glad they were all made and with different directers was a good idea. I liked Yates the best and thought he brought the sense of it being a real film [with reality ]and not just a play set to film.But I still beleive Columbus’s work on PS/SS was very underrated. I think it is a good acheivment to make people also want to read books and not just see the films they are made from. Much thanks to David Hayman who desrves this honor [and also thanks to the incredible young man ,who also made me want to READ the books]!

Avatar Image says:

i really hope the people complaining about daniel radcliffe’s absence on this list are joking.

Avatar Image says:

I didn’t say [Dan ] should be on THIS list, but dought they are joking.

Avatar Image says:

Jeannine, yeah, i wasn’t referencing your comment, so no hard feelings! and i think you’re right… i doubt other people were joking. i know a lot of people like the kid, but i think he’s a complete hack. sorry!

Avatar Image says:

I like the films, though I do grumble about the directors attitudes to certain aspects of the books. Like I know many people think Yates is the best choice so far. But, he has missed very important parts. For instance the whole Kreacher and the locket. He didn’t even want Kreacher in OotP!!! It wasn’t till JK pointed out to him, that he is important in DH. Also, some are forgetting one of the biggest culprits in messing up parts of the series is Steve Kloves, the writer.

Avatar Image says:

why shouldn’t we want Dan on the list? If an had done nothing other than HP, then no his absence would not have unduely worried me. After all whats he done compered to Will Smith and Zac Efron? ...and i say that with a heavy dose of sarcaism. No, why Dan should have been on the list is the sheer guts he displyed in appearing in Equus.Just the reaction to the thought of him appearing nude had the mediA predicting the end of his Potter career. But he proved all the critics wrong. However if the critics had been right, he’d have had to face the onslaught in the press, on the tv. On stage there is no place to hide. Julie Roberts found that out. The EW top 25 smacks of saftey Zac Efron has as much chance as a career away from High School as Dan as from HP, but appearing in Hairspray is hardly in the same league risk wise.Will Smith has a sucessful career, but wheres the diversity? I’m not a huge fan of Johnny Depp, but least he’s prepared to take risks.Ands it’s about time sections of the fanbase here grew up and gave Dan the credit he is way overdue for.

Avatar Image says:

jain, i don’t necessarily believe that there is particular bravery or guts involved in merely appearing nude onstage. plenty of people do that every night. and the only risk taken in the situation was the fact that he’s way too inexperienced to pull off a role like that in ‘equus.’ anyone remember ‘he was their FRIEND!’ he’s gotten better, i admit, but not that much better…

Avatar Image says:

it seems to me that Dan did ‘pull of a role like that in Equus’. Or perhaps i misread the the mainly positive reviews. It was brave of Dan, even though you refuse to see it, that would be too much for the Dan knockers to credit him. When he appears in NY, it won’t have the same sense of danger, because he’s appeared on stage once before. But he still has to face the American critics and even the best of actors can fall foul of them, even the most sucessful of shows in the West End can disapoint on broadway or visa versa You just refuse to move on from a 13 year olds performance. which says more about you than Dan.

Avatar Image says:

alright, jain, this is getting creepy, so i’m off. i’m in no way interested enough in this… although i may add that i do happen to have a degree in theatre, so my opinion does count.

Avatar Image says:

“cinema-going OVERALL has decreased over a number of years (possibly due to new home cinema technology)”

This is not actually true in terms of studio films/box office (which applies to the context of Harry Potter): Take a look at: http://www.slate.com/id/2123286/

Why can’t family entertainment also be a masterpiece?

Also, just because something performs well does not mean that it is quality or great by any means. The Da Vinci Code (both book and movie) is an example of that. I don’t mean to say that the whole of the film-going audience has been snowed or that there isn’t room for spectacle films; more so that we are most often paying for mediocrity and that every film with a budget is a spectacle film, and that Harry Potter deserves more. Leave the spectacle for Transformers and Pirates of the Carribean. Six media companies create and distribute the content (from making the film to advertising it in magazines and on tv stations – sometimes via a cable provider they own) and we pick and choose from what is on the menu. It is a very, very, very limited selection. They don’t compete at the box office (that’s why you’ll never see Spider-man and Harry Potter come out the same weekend). For anyone who loves stories, film or otherwise, (and I think we all do) this is a sad, (and again) limited system and the root runs deeper than writer’s strikes and flaws in the Potter film machine. The worst part is, we’re funding more of the same. Food for thought. ;-)

Avatar Image says:

All you guys have made excellent contributions. Great to read all your thoughts =:). Quibbler, I think Lik was saying that the sequels are determined by the quality (in the audience’s eyes) of the predescessor. He/She didn’t say that sequels don’t make more.

Avatar Image says:

wtf—-I love Dan , and he is diffinetly NOT what you said! I don’t think he needs to be insutled here just because you don’t care for him.I am as well. Actually I agree with some , in the fact ,he should have been given more recogniton then EW has done , he accomplished a lot this year, and very well done.

jain—-amen

Avatar Image says:

“Once you start to see The Matrix for what it is, then you may realize that the Potter films essentially don’t work on a fundamental level and that is not overcome by the, “it just works” understanding that can be applied to some art; art which just happens to work despite defying the rules. Then you start to wonder why they don’t work, or why they were sent through production that way… and the system starts to unravel.”

Avatar Image says:

“That’s the problem. I think they do work. Don’t pretend to be the only objective soul here, the true meanings of art and success tucked in your back pocket. Even objectivity cannot escape the subjective. ;)”

Perhaps time will tell, then. Regardless, in the present I would love to be wrong, or to be able to agree with you. What I do think is more important is that if you like something you shouldn’t let anyone take that away from you; critics, snobs, perfectionists, peers… anyone. ;-) That should go without saying, but sometimes it helps to say and hear it.

Avatar Image says:

“Horn, Columbus and Heyman know exactly what they are doing, and it’s called family entertainment. It’s somewhere between amusing and entertaining watching howling eunuchs trying to knock down industry giants.” -Posted by Jason

And Dan on this list, are you kidding??!!! Since when is being on a play like Equus merit any actor a “smart” title??!!! If so, man, all those striptease dancers must be on the list too! They are so SMART and BRAVE! 0_o

Avatar Image says:

I swear that katy is DrakeHallowsWeasley.

Avatar Image says:

Katy said: “No they dont. That’s why LotR, Titanic and PotC is way up the top 3 of the all time box office hits, and none of the HP films! HP book fans watch in droves expecting a good adaptation every time, only to be disappointed! But because we are fanaticals, we are just willing to eat their cr@p!”

Uh, why? If you hate the films so much, why are you bothering to see them? Isn’t it a huge waste of your time and money to see a film that you’ve already decided in advance is going to be lousy because of the previous films’ track record (at least in your mind)? It never ceases to amaze me how some people in the fandom can’t get over the fact that every little thing isn’t going to be in the film, they’re not going to make them exactly how YOU want them to be made, and that they are never going to be satisfied by the result no matter who the writer or director is.

The films are made for a GENERAL audience, in other words those who have read the books and those who haven’t. They aren’t made for the fanatics. In general, the audiences have been highly entertained by the films. And by that measure, I’d say they’ve been successful, and that Heyman deserves his place on the list.

Avatar Image says:

The films are made for a GENERAL audiance. So true—Kelly—so true. Were they made to only serve one group of people[the readers of the books only] then they would not have been neerly as successful. A lot of folks read these books—and more should than do—but there are probubly far more who find intertainment in the films.And it is they the filmmakers ultimatley serve for better [or sometimes less good ]result.I still beleive they’ve done well by the books and am looking forward to the last two films!_____I ,as well, don’t uderstand why people would even bother to watch the films if they need to just complain, why not use that time in a presute they enjoy.

Agahmin,well said—-pretention sometimes can be cut by are knife in those who think only thiers in the true thought of art of any kind.

Avatar Image says:

Hey, let’s face it, he did a great job and deserves the praise. This whole shooting could have gone terribly wrong, and it’s only because we’re so used to the fact that 90% have turned out fine that gives us the confidence to nag about the few details we would have done differently.

Come to think of it, there’s one thing I would like to complain about: why is Michael Gambon wearing the same ugly grey cloak (dress?) over and over again? Richard Harris always looked great in his sharp outfits, but Gambon as Dumbledore seems to wear something that looks strikingly like a rag. Any comments on that?

Write a Reply or Comment