Katie Leung Joins “Poirot” Cast In Upcoming ITV1 Program

366

Dec 02, 2007

Posted by EdwardTLC
Uncategorized

Actress Katie Leung is taking on a new role in an episode of the long running British television drama “Poirot.” The Sunday Mail is reporting that Miss Leung is set to film an episode entitled “Cat Amongst The Pigeons,” an adaptation of one of Agatha Christie’s ‘Poirot’ mystery novels. According to the article, Katie will be playing ‘Hsui Tai, a pupil at a private all-girls school who helps the legendary sleuth solve a murder at the school and the mystery of a kidnapped Middle Eastern princess’ for the drama set to be broadcast on ITV1. A spokesperson for the program said of the choice to cast Katie in the role:

“We’re absolutely delighted to have Katie on board. She’s a very talented actress and a great addition to the cast. She helps Poirot spot a couple of clues which let him piece it all together.”

This is the first role for Katie since her part in “Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix” and “Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire” as the character of Cho Chang. The “Cat Amongst The Pigeons” is set to be broadcast next year.

Thanks to Adrian for mailing!

18 Responses to Katie Leung Joins “Poirot” Cast In Upcoming ITV1 Program

Avatar Image says:

It is great to see yet another of the Potter crew spread their wings and show their talent. I like to remember that Katie came through a mass audition. Way to go Katie!

Good for her!

Random, unfounded idea: I keep having this weird feeling that Cho has a larger role written into the HBP movie. The Powers That Be seem to be making an effort to keep Katie Leung associated with the movies (having her attend movie premieres with Bonnie Wright and Evanna Lynch, for example), and… I don’t know, they just seem to have left the Harry/Cho thing really open-ended in movie!OotP, much more so than in the book. So I kind of think they might have her back, perhaps so they can simply give a more definite closure to that storyline, and perhaps even because they think it might add an extra layer of tension and complication to Harry’s newfound feelings for Ginny. I know that sounds very soap-opera-ish, but hey, they’ve already soaped up the R/Hr stuff a bit, and it sounds like the Powers That Be are planning on playing the romantic subplots for all they’re worth, so I wouldn’t put it past them.

But I don’t have any evidence for that, it’s just my own overactive imagination. In fact, I seem to be rambling a lot today about my unfounded theories, so I’m gonna shut up.

Avatar Image says:

Emma Kelly… its ok i ramble all the time and i quite understand. ;) As for your thoughts… i also agree… i think they should’ve made it more clear in the movies that it was deffinately over between H/C… o well i just hope they dont make it such a big part of the movie it ruins the rest of it.

-HPfreak

Avatar Image says:

I LOVE Agatha Christie, and Cat Among the Pigeons is absolutely fantastic! So who will be playing Hercule Poirot?

Avatar Image says:

Our current Hercule Poirot actor is David Suchet who, to my mind, is even better than Peter Ustinov. He is an excellent actor and plays him as an exceptionally neat, particular character which goes well with his observational skills. It is a good series with which to be associated, so Katie has done well in her first venture outside HP.

Avatar Image says:

Well done to Katie. I had no idea she was pursuing an acing career beyond Harry Potter, but it’s great to see another one of our ‘babies’ (“squee”) branching out. Getting to play a variety of roles can only help them all to grow as actors.

Well done to Katie.

Cho does have a role in DH, but I’m wondering whether the messing around with the story in OotP will affect whether she can take part in the films, because she was the one who ratted on the DA in the film version.

Graymayne – Is this new Poirot also to be David Suchet again? I am afraid that I am a bit of a stick in the mud for things like Miss Marple and Poirot. I never took to the recent Miss Marple because Joan Hickson’s was perfect and she will always be Marple in my mind. And the same goes for David Suchet’s Poirot. So if it’s going to be him again, that’s great.

Avatar Image says:

good for her….but I don’t remember reading about a character named Hsui Tai in Cat Among the Pigeons. Its one of my favorite Agatha Christie books…does Katie play tennis? Cause if she doesn’t, she might have to learn…

Avatar Image says:

Ohhhh. I love Cat Amongst the Pigeons. Very good book! It’s awesome that’s she’s going to be in the adaption.

Avatar Image says:

David Suchet is still making some Poirot episodes. They seem not to involve Phillip Jackson as Chief INspector Japp any longer, nor Poirot’s sidekick Hastings, but Suchet is still on board. One of Britain’s finest actors, without doubt. This is a good opportunity for Katie; the Poirot audience is enormous, and world-wide.

Avatar Image says:

excellent,I love the Poirot adaptations on ITV (David Suchet is a legend in my house!) She’s a very lucky young actress and I’m sure she’ll do well, she’s very tallented :)

Avatar Image says:

That’s great! This kind of brings together two of my obsessions, namely, Harry Potter and Agatha Christie. I love all the Poirot books and just adore the Poirot TV series. David Suchet IS Poirot. I never liked Ustinov in the role much. Albert Finney in ‘Murder on The Orient Express’ was simply fabulous though. But I think Suchet betters even Finney’s portrayal. Anyway, it’s great for Katie’s career to be involved with Poirot. Will be looking forward to it.

Avatar Image says:

Wow, David Suchet is still playing Poirot? He must do that role for roundabout 20 years now. LoL

Miss Marple to me will always be Margaret Rutherford.

Emma Kelly: I was astonished when I heard Katie was going to be in HBP. She featured hardly at all in the book. And her role in DH is not that big or important that they couldn´t as well cut her out, when they cut out so much already. Your idea is interesting about them give the Harry/Cho relationship closure in the very movie Harry falls for Ginny. Maybe they give Cho even Romilda Vane´s role. You know, trying to win Harry back and even concocting a love potion. Thus they could include the Ron poisoning episode.

Anyways, I like Katie and it is good to have her back in the movies, although strictly spoken her role isn´t necessary.

Avatar Image says:

David Suchet as Poirot is now into the last few Poirot stories in order to complete the full set; I guess he’s made all the Japp and Hastings ones earlier. He is indeed a great exponent and the definitive Poirot.

Great for Katie to be involved with another fine actor alongside the HP company. And it’d make sense to use her in more than her book role in HBP: they’ll not want to bring in more cast than is absolutely necessary, so the existing crowd will have to pick up necessary plot points.

Avatar Image says:

Well, if I were making a movie, I’d want to get Katie in it as much as possible. So it makes perfect sense to me.

Avatar Image says:

Isn’t it funny?? Bonnie played young Agatha Christie, and now Katie is playing a character of one of Agatha’s books!! ^^

Good luck, Katie!! ;) I’m sure you’ll do it very well!! =)

Avatar Image says:

sounds interesting. i wish they’d show it in the U.S. I’ll just drown miself in pictures…if ever.

Avatar Image says:

I absolutely ADORE Agatha Christie, so I was quite amazed to find this article. Even though the part she is playing was not in the book and is completely unfamiliar to me, I am sure she will do quite well.

Write a Reply or Comment