Jo Rowling Updates Site, Gives Fan Site Award to the HP Alliance

108

Dec 21, 2007

Posted by Melissa Anelli
Uncategorized

The latest update to JKRowling.com includes info about her reaction to the sale of Beedle the Bard to Amazon, an explanation of the meaning of “The Scottish Book,” as she used the term on PotterCast, and the thing that has made us all most proud today, and for which we want to extend our sincere congratulations and express how very much they deserve it: a fan site award to The HP Alliance, for their work “Becoming Dumbledore’s Army,” and spreading the messages of love and tolerance through the world using the Harry Potter books as inspiration. Jo says:

“Long overdue, I give you the HP Alliance (as mentioned in Time Magazine!) I am honoured and humbled that Harry’s name has been given to such an extraordinary campaign, which really does exemplify the values for which Dumbledore’s Army fought in the books. To Andrew and all the others who work on this most inspirational website: the world needs more people like you.”

This is personal for us, too, because Andrew has been kind and giving enough to allow Leaky to take part in its efforts; we have never been more proud to be associated with this amazing group, which recently, thanks to you all, raised enough money to protect 1300 women in the Sudan region. Andrew Slack has been a unifying and heartfelt voice for the power of Harry Potter to spread love and tolerance around the world and – and forgive a little personal sentimentality here – since I just had the excellent honor of bringing this news to Andrew and he was pretty much too overcome with tears and the entire range of human emotions to speak, I think I can say what he would: That this is just the beginning. Congratulations, Andrew, the HP Alliance, and all who have supported it so far. We can’t wait to see what’s next.

Regarding “Beedle of the Bard,” Jo recounts how she swore successively louder with each bid, and by the time the book had sold, “the air turned a lovely shade of blue.” She also says how thrilled she is that the book will not be “mouldering in a vault,” but brought around the world so children can see it.

As for “The Scottish Book”: “There is a superstition that it is unlucky to speak the name ‘Macbeth’ in the theatre, so actors always refer to it as ‘the Scottish Play’. Given the contentiousness that has sprung up around the Encyclopaedia lately, I simply thought we might start showing it similar respect!”

22 Responses to Jo Rowling Updates Site, Gives Fan Site Award to the HP Alliance

Avatar Image says:

I just have to say that the Harry Potter Alliance is one of many many reasons why I think the HP fandom is the best fandom ever.

Congratulations!

Avatar Image says:

Halleluya, the “principals” that the ‘Harry Potter’ series promoted are being put into action ! (ie, patience, tollerance, liberty, freedom and sheer kind-heartednes towards others, as well as hopefully keeping evil from harning others). Bless you HPA thankyou for your work !

Avatar Image says:

Will the RoR Door open? :( I want so badly a little one Christmas riddle to solve…

Avatar Image says:

Jo’s website is SUCH a wonderful way for her to interact with us. I love it. It’s good to know that she’s pleased with Amazon’s plans for Beelde the Bard. Also, I just want to say—I would absolutely be willing to wait ten years for the encyclopedia, if that’s what it takes for Jo to do it right. In any case, she should feel free take some time off (from Potter) to savor the completion of the series.

Of course, once she’s nice and rested, I wouldn’t say no to – say – a novel from Snape’s point of view, starting with his childhood and culminating in his going over to the good side. Hey, a girl can dream, right? :)

Big congrats to Andrew and the HP Alliance. I hope that the power of love will ultimately prevail in Darfur. As a (suddenly hot) Matthew Lewis will hopefully scream near the end of the last movie: Dumbledore’s Army!!!

Avatar Image says:

HP ALLIANCE!!! omg! this is amazing – thank you JO!

Avatar Image says:

I am so pleased with Jk’s decision to give HPA that award. They deserve it more than anyone else. I agree Luiz that this is the best fandom ever. Not to mention the most productive in charity of all kinds. In the name of Love HP fans unite for good causes all over the globe! And you cant get anymore cooler than that.

Avatar Image says:

Wow. HPA definitely deserves the recognition. Hopefully the link from Jo’s site will help raise awareness for the cause. :]

Avatar Image says:

There is certainly a possibility that the door will open sometime over Christmas. She does seem to do an update before Christmas to remind her fans about her site, then do a door opening or other site update later. But it is nice to see that Jo approves of Amazon’s plans for Beedle, and HPA does seem a worthy recipient of the Fan Site Award.

Avatar Image says:

Congratulations to the HP Alliance!

I’ll say it again: This has been the best. year. ever. to be a Harry Potter fan.

Bless you, Jo (and it warms my heart to hear of your “blue” tongue). ;)

Avatar Image says:

Once again a english spoken site win Fan site awards like it’s only english spoken website are good fans website Too sad

Avatar Image says:

Congratulations to the HP Alliance, the work they do is amazing, and it is in part thanks to them that I can say with bigger pride that I am part of the Harry Potter fandom!

Avatar Image says:

Sadly: Actually, Jo gave an earlier FSA to potterish.com which is basically Brazilian, though it does have an English version.

Avatar Image says:

Yeah for the HP Alliance!! Very well deserved!!

Anyone else realize it’s been a year since we got the title for Deathly Hallows! snif Where does the time go. Oh and anyone else miss the Christmas decorations on Jo’s site? When I went to look at the updates I realized it hadn’t been decorated for this year. Not a big deal really, but a little sad too. It was always like a Christmas card to all of us. Speaking of that…Leaky isn’t decorated for Christmas either. Man…..the things I notice!! (or in this case don’t) LOL!!!

Avatar Image says:

im so proud of Andrew, and all of us, for making the HPA such an amazing success. its amazing that Jo has recognized the efforts the fandom has made to use our power to make the world a better place.

Avatar Image says:

Congrats HP Alliance! You guys deserve it 5 times over ;)

anotherweasly- Yeah! how can a year have gone by since that crazed game of hangman we all played?

Avatar Image says:

Wow, it’s BEEN a year. Happy title anniversary everyone!

Avatar Image says:

That’s awesome! The HP Alliance is doing an awesome job. They really deserve the fansite award. It makes me so pround to see what this fandom is capeable of! And even prouder to think that I’m part of it.

Well, the weapon we have is love. Merry Christmas everyone!!

Fran

Avatar Image says:

It makes me so happy to be a part of this wonderful fandom. Congrats to the very deserving HP Alliance. anotherweasley, I know, I didn’t remember that the 21st was THE day! “at the solstice will come a new…and none will come after” oh man I feel like going back in time and reliving that hangman game and everything.

Avatar Image says:

Sect members are not to be trusted.

Avatar Image says:

Congratulations Andrew, he’s right you know we can all make a difference, im so proud to be part of this fandom

Avatar Image says:

What is the answer to the riddle on J K Rowlings site. The part where you open the door and answer the tags on the presents? It’s the one that says ‘Two in a whole and four in a pair and six in a trio you see? Fours a quartet, but what you must get

Avatar Image says:

is the name that fits just one of me

Write a Reply or Comment