J.K. Rowling Named Barbara Walters’ “Most Fascinating Person of 2007″ (Updated)

Dec 07, 2007

Posted by SueTLC
Uncategorized

Every year, noted television personality and news reporter Barbara Walters hosts her special “10 Most Fascinating People” of the year program. The program, which is due to air here in the States at 10pm tonight, was broadcast earlier in Canada, with Harry Potter author J.K. Rowling named as the Most Fascinating person for 2007. TLC reader Samantha reports that while it was exciting to see this revealed, there is only older footage of our favorite author, and no new interview. Others in the program included the Beckhams, singer Justin Timberlake, MySpace creators Chris DeWolfe and Tom Anderson, radio host Don Imus, singer and actress Jennifer Hudson, and former President of the United States Bill Clinton. The 10 Most Fascinating People of 2007 program will be broadcast tonight on the ABC television network at 10pm (ET).
UPDATE: Thanks to TLC reader Beth sent us the video which you can now see here in our galleries.

Thanks Samantha!

20 Responses to J.K. Rowling Named Barbara Walters’ “Most Fascinating Person of 2007″ (Updated)

Avatar Image says:

Woah, that’s really cool. But too bad that she didn’t get to interview her.

Avatar Image says:

I kept complaining to my mom that J. K. Rowling should be on that list if someone like Don Imus gets positive recognition. Congrats, Jo!

Avatar Image says:

that’s hilarious. as soon as I turned the tv off at 10 I thought “Jo should get that…bet she will.”

next stop- TIME Magazine!!

Avatar Image says:

I screamed and yelled at the screen in excitement when I saw JK was #1. Excuse my language, but I thought when I saw it that it was about damn time. JK deserves all the accolades she’s getting. Congrats JK!!!

Avatar Image says:

I KNEW IT WOULD BE HER! YAY JO! Barbara gave a hint on the View TV show that the #1 person was a woman and not American. She deserves it! Shame she didn’t interview her though!

Avatar Image says:

I watched it and kept thinking..”it’s gotta be jo, it’s gotta be jo” and it was! Congrats Jo! Most fascinating person of 2007!

Avatar Image says:

Barbara was on GMA promoting her special. She even said the number one person was a woman and not an American. I said to my father, I bet it’s JKR, she fits the bill. She was in the media and she made history with her fianl book. My father was doubtful and thought it was going to be some top female in foriegn politics. Some woman who is currently in the media. I said it would have to be someone whose made news all year, not just recently.

Then I saw this headline and I ran in his room and said, I told you so…

That felt good.

Avatar Image says:

I had a feeling when I heard about it that JKR would be number one but later I saw it confirmed so I wasn’t very surprised. I loved the new pictures and footage released though, especially that of her parents in an old photo and some old footage of her likely from about 9 or 10 years ago (her hair was sort of auburn colored…).

Did anybody else sort of get chills watching it? I did :S

(I was surprised that Hugo Chavez got #2. I mean…seriously?)

Avatar Image says:

I was working, and came home at about 3AM. Then I sat around for another hour, and finally thought, “Oh, I should check my tape and see who it was”. I screamed out loud when I saw it, then put my hand over my mouth ‘cause everyone else in the house is sleeping.

Yes, I have a tape, but I can’t put it in my computer, sorry. It will be up soon, I expect.

I also thought she might be it this year, and I was so happy to see her! Does anyone remember if she ever made Barbara’s list before? I tape it every year, but I’m a bit behind watching. I would think 2000, since that’s the year GoF came out, and the parties at the book stores started.

Avatar Image says:

Am I the only one who read this headline and thought JKR chose BW as the most fascinating person of the year? ;P I was wondering what on earth this Barbara had done …

Avatar Image says:

Sue/Melissa/Leaky Peoples, when I capture this do you want the whole thing or just Jo?

Avatar Image says:

I knew it!! I knew it! I knew it! I watched a bit of The View yesterday when they were promoting the show and told myself it had to be JKR! I didn’t end up watching it because I had to work so I thought I’d check online this morning! Yeah, it’s about time!! She certainly deserves this recognition. She has had an amazing year and made ours wonderful in the process!

Avatar Image says:

I can only say: “Jo is princess Britney”

Avatar Image says:

“JKR is at the top of the list and yet she’s not being interviewed. Why doesn’t that surprise me?? Most TV watchers here in the US love “reality” shows and celebrity nonsense. Walters will probably spend most of the hour with the Beckhams.”

Wow, umm… okay? Some stereotype you got there. Has it occured to you that maybe Rowling didn’t want to be interviewed?

Avatar Image says:

Paulo: Actually I think KB Prez was right in part. A really long section of the program was about the Beckhams and they talked about how beautiful they were and all the sexy stuff they do and it was just feeding into what most viewers want. It was too bad JK wasn’t interviewed because she could probably talk about more relevant things than lust at first sight

Avatar Image says:

Paulo: Actually I think that KB Prez is right in part. A good portion of the program was focused on the Beckhams discussing how beautiful they are, all they sexy stuff they do, how skinny she is, etc. But all that was feeding into what a lot of viewers want to see, all the tabloidy stuff. Its too bad Jo wasn’t interviewed so we could hear something relevant other than lust at first sight and never eating a cookie

Avatar Image says:

Ann, Barbara Walters interviewed everyone else on her list, surely she would want an interview with her number one pick? The fact of the matter is that Jo just doesn’t give interviews to very many people and most likely turned Barbara down. I’m sure they asked, as I say she interviewed everyone else and Jo is an extremely rare “get” for an interviewer, there’s no doubt she tried very hard to get an interview with Rowling. Though of course I’m not denying that the Beckhams will get you better ratings than almost anyone…

Avatar Image says:

I’m not a fan of Barbara’s most fascinating people thing, I watched it once and I don’t think she’s very good. I don’t know why but I would’ve been a bit surprised if Jo had given the interview.

Avatar Image says:

do the beckhams really annoy anyone else? good little segment, love harry potter… well duh, thats probably the most obvious thing iv ever posted on leaky

Write a Reply or Comment