Parade Magazine’s New Article and Quiz About Harry Potter

112

Jun 27, 2007

Posted by EdwardTLC
Uncategorized

Parade Magazine, which appears in many Sunday newspapers around the country, let us know of a new quiz and article they have online. The ‘Decade of Harry Potter Quiz’ features three different difficulty levels for ‘anyone who’s seen the movies,’ ‘Book knowledge absolutely required’ and ‘For die-hard Potter fanatics only’ to test their Potter knowledge. You can take the quiz here, and then send it to your friends to compare results. In an accompanying article, an adult Harry Potter fan looks back on his past ten years with the boy-who-lived. From first hearing of the series, picking up and reading the first book and subsequently falling in love with the series, the article goes into great detail about his experience. The piece finishes with this note about the legacy he feels Potter has left us:

In the end, though, it doesn’t matter which book is your favorite. The real power”and magic”of Harry Potter is that he created a generation of readers, of children so enchanted with the boy wizard that they’ll now seek out other books, hoping to find something that will send them tumbling down the rabbit hole again.

Of course, Harry is a once-in-a-generation phenomenon. We can’t expect great books” let alone great series”to come along every year.

We should just count ourselves lucky that over the past 10 years (or seven, in Harry’s world), this series has exceeded the hype of that first book”and count ourselves doubly lucky that there’s one more still to come.

28 Responses to Parade Magazine’s New Article and Quiz About Harry Potter

Avatar Image says:

Psssh. WOMBATs they weren’t.

Avatar Image says:

Yeah, I got a 48 because I didn’t know the floor directory at the Ministry (sigh, I should study that some day…) and how much that unicorn something or other at the Apothecary was.

I liked the paragraph in the article about Harry and Ron on the train and how that drew in the author—never thought of it that way.

Avatar Image says:

I agree Robbie. It didn’t get hard till the end lot and even then most of them were easy. Maybe the quiz writer wasn’t a huge fan like leaky readers.

Avatar Image says:

Robbie, you’re right. That quiz was certainly no WOMBAT, although I forgot what floor Plant Posioning was on.

Avatar Image says:

Geez! I figured the software would tally the score, so I didn’t keep track. I can’t remember whether I missed 3 or 4. I guess it doesn’t matter.

The WOMBATs were MUCH more difficult. But still, not an easy test.

24 days…

OMT

Avatar Image says:

yeah I forgot the floor and the amount of galleons it was for unicorn hair….of course it was no where close to WOMBATS though but they were written by JKR herself…

Avatar Image says:

I only knew those Ministry and Mungo’s questions because I JUST put down OotP, ha.

Avatar Image says:

Did perfect on the first part, got two wrong in the second, and about 5 right in the third part. I guess I don’t know as much as I think I know, huh? XD

Avatar Image says:

48, not bad..that last part wasn’t as simple as I thought it would be.

Avatar Image says:

I only got two wrong in the hard one, the one on ministry floors and on how many goals Ginny scored.

Avatar Image says:

43. How in the world is anyone supposed to remember the floors of St. Mungo’s and the Ministry? And this is coming from someone who has memorized EVERY song in the books – Sorting Hat songs 1, 4, and 5, the Sphinx’s riddle, the merpeople’s song from the golden egg, the sign on the door of Gringotts, Ginny Weasley’s valentine, and the Hogwarts School Song.

Avatar Image says:

lolz Hermione has got nothin’ on me!!! lolz brain power to the extreme!!!

I got 45!

Avatar Image says:

I got 49!But the wombats were much tough:much much much more tough!

Avatar Image says:

I got a 47 because I couldn’t remember the floor in St. Mungo’s, the levels in the Ministry or how many goals Ginny had scored in her tryout (I thought it was 12). I agree with Robbie- WOMBATs they weren’t! It was alright for an all-levels of fans quiz, though.

Avatar Image says:

Ha! Congratulations, Hermione has nothing on me!

Yes! 48, too!

Too bad it doesn’t total, I agree. Missed the same two as Serinity – the floor on the ministry, and the number of goals. Thought she scored 12…

Avatar Image says:

Why couldn’t WOMBATs have been this easy. I’m proud to say I got 50 out of 50, but then again I’m the kid who corrects people doing the trivia contests at book releases. So anything less than perfect would have siriusly upset me! Still, a very good quiz overall!

Avatar Image says:

I memorized every song and poem too! But, dang, I got a forty-five! I’m so embarassed.

46!!!!!!!! No that bad

Avatar Image says:

Pretty good questions on the third (and hardest) part. Not the usual oh-so-obvious questions aimed at the casual reader.

It was fun!

Avatar Image says:

I missed the one on Ginny’s goals, the Ministry of Magic floors, St. Mungo’s floors, Dumbledore’s trading card ( tricked me there!) and one other on the hard part.

Avatar Image says:

ALSO! I wished the test had calculated the score. When it said “See How You’ve Done” I didn’t know we were supposed to keep tabs.

Avatar Image says:

I do not know how I did. I expected the programm to keep tab for us.

One answer was wrong, at least if the film was faithful to the book. Ron was on a knight, not the queen.

What does the book say? I checked : black knight. I was right but was given a wrong. Shame!

Avatar Image says:

Serge, you are right, Ron was on the black knight, but the question asked what piece defeated Ron – which was the white queen.

I misread one too and got it wrong – about how many points they received to win the house cup in 1st year – I thought they meant total, and not Neville’s amount. I was annoyed because they didn’t give me the option of 160 points, so I just picked 50 instead of 10.

Avatar Image says:

Much easier than the WOMBAT. Only missed tow. The floor of the Ministry and the number of goals Ginny made. So 48. Take that Hermione.

Avatar Image says:

I got 48. I missed Ginny’s goals and how much the unicorn was or something. Not bad. But this quiz is easy compared to the Wombats!

Avatar Image says:

This was one of my favorite stories Written about Harry Potter.

Write a Reply or Comment