Australian ’60 Minutes’ Interview with Harry Potter Trio

344

Jul 01, 2007

Posted by EdwardTLC
Uncategorized

Daniel Radcliffe (Harry Potter), Rupert Grint (Ron Weasley) and Emma Watson (Hermione Granger) appeared on Australia’s 60 Minutes program this past evening. Discussing the latest film, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, and final book, the actors comment on many subjects including: having fame and fans, filming OotP and waiting to find out the ending of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows like everyone else. You can read the entire transcript of the segment here, but here are a few highlights from the piece:

TARA BROWN: The Order of the Phoenix is the fifth film in the series. It’s darker and edgier but with the same faithful friends and fearsome foes. Are you still getting a kick out of it?

DANIEL RADCLIFFE: Yeah, I am actually. When you get some brilliant reactions from kids, when you totally freak them out, I think that, for me, is the power of magic.

TARA BROWN: Now, Hermione has been an infuriatingly sensible witch all along. Now she’s loosened up a little bit in this film. Does that make her more fun to play?

EMMA WATSON: Yeah, I really enjoyed playing kind of her rebellious side. She kind of breaks free a bit because previously she’s played by the rules and would rather die than be expelled so yeah, I’m the rebel.

The piece also features a short interview with Barry Cunningham, one of the first publishers to print J. K. Rowling’s work and a few young Harry Potter fans who give their opinion on how the series will end. We are working on getting video of this appearance and will update you when we do.

Thanks to Nat, Lily and Mark for emailing!

34 Responses to Australian ’60 Minutes’ Interview with Harry Potter Trio

Avatar Image says:

Yay! My name is on something! I thought overall that this was a waste, i mean there was no knew shots or information. Though it was nice to hear from the trio, i wish that another presenter who is more into Harry Potter (Richard) had done it. He would have had some good theories. There was also a chat session with an Australian HP Event organiser. Transcript coming soon.

Avatar Image says:

I didn’t think it was bad… though I did struggle with those interviews from those kids… I probably wouldn’t of realised it was on though if it wasn’t for the chat session… The woman who did the chat is a good friend of mine smiles

Avatar Image says:

You wouldn’t have saved the chat would you? If you did could you send it to edward? Thanks.

Avatar Image says:

is it just me or does anyone else get nothing but a blank page? :(

Avatar Image says:

No it seems to be just you. Try accessing it from the main 60 minutes site.

Avatar Image says:

I didn’t save the chat but I can see if my friend did. She may of gone to bed by now though :S hehe, like I said I would about 1 hour ago!!!

Avatar Image says:

Just for the record, Barry Cunningham wasn’t just “one of the first publishers to print J K Rowling’s work” he was THE publisher who gave Jo her chance and signed her up when everybody else had turned her down, long before the likes of Arthur Levine arrived on the scene, even if he is the one who gets all the publicity these days as the US publisher.

As Jo herself said in an interview years ago, if it wasn’t for Barry Cunningham, Harry Potter might still be in his cupboard under the stairs.

Avatar Image says:

Do all kids want Harry and Hermione to die horrible deaths. Good grief.

Avatar Image says:

I didn’t think the interviews with the kids were very good,they were so unconfortble,and someone else should have interview them,though they did look great.The questions were so boring. [Except the storts question to Dan] Loved the section on JKR and the interesting information about who had origially given this wonderful world a chance. BRAVO! to him!

Avatar Image says:

There’s a download of this at danradcliffe.co.uk

Avatar Image says:

Great interview, but one thing makes me very sad.

This is the second Australian interview where Dan Radcliffe makes a comment tantamount to saying he thinks American fans are all pretty insane and-as I read it-horribly invasive.

I realize that the girl whom he has now mentioned several times was American, but even if the American crowds were impossibly loud, or greedy, that doesn’t mean ALL American fans are.

I am an American fan, and I’m a “normal” person who wouldn’t dream of invading a celebrity’s personal space or bothering them, unless there was a forum specifically designated for fan/star interaction, and even THEN…I wouldn’t act as crazy as some of these people.

It’s wrong to generalize this way. I say this for the benefit of non-Americans who read and post here…we U.S. fans are not ALL insane. I promise.

Avatar Image says:

Harry potters Invisibility Cloak was mention tonight in British Soap Coronation Street. It was said when one of the characters served up an empty pot because she had distroyed the dinner. Her date asked her if Harry Potter had been playing with his Invisibility Cloak. Very funny will see if i can get clip tomorrow during repeat.

Avatar Image says:

that really was a greatttt interview. i<3harrypotter.

Avatar Image says:

Espy, he has never said some of the things you have written. The thing is that because there is more people in America, the number of fans at the premieres for example is higher, so everything is crazier. And the most crazy things that had happened to him with fans it has happened there. He has not generalized, he has been asked a question and he has choosen one of the 3 possible answers the interviewer said. And he is not saying it is something bad, if you notice he answers with a smile. And he talks about those anecdotes with a smile too, like just something funny that happened. You are taking it too seriously. Dan is very grateful with American fans, just read his interviews and newsletters and you will know. He is even fond of those crazy anecdotes that happens to him every time he visit your country. :)

Also, after seeing the madness there is in Japan with his visit maybe now Japanese fans have exceeded all other countries passion and madness! :D

Avatar Image says:

there is part 1 of 2 video set report from french tv here: http://www.thesnitch.co.uk/site/index.php#6793

There is few new scenes from the filming and stuff. It is very good especially at 16:54 to 17:23.

You can view the video here: http://www.danradcliffe.co.uk/07news_010707_2.html

Avatar Image says:

The interview with the trio was good although very brief and not very in-depth. They just always come across as being so incredibly NICE and normal. The interviews with the kids though was awful. Where did they find them and what on earth were they talking about? Hardly representative of HP fans in general.

Awww, what about Rupert? :P

Did they ask rupert any questions? 8(

Avatar Image says:

Yea they asked Rupert a few questiong like would he ever date a female fan and he smiled and said yeah and that he’s not too fussy and asked him what he thought of some fans thinking he’s gonna kill Harry in the end and he just sorta looked shocked and said ‘well didnt say that one coming’ or something like that, you should read the transcript on 60 mins for the whole interview :)

Sorry, ‘See that one coming’ not ‘say’ :P

Avatar Image says:

What’s with the one little girl? How could she possibly get through 800 pages????

Avatar Image says:

I agree the kids were shockers! Were did they find them? And where did they get their questions? Bit of a waste of an interview…

AUSSIE DISCLAIMER:

60 minutes is a generally reputable (i should say “once reputable”) show which has it’s crapper moments, and tara brown isn’t exactly the most talented interviewer this country boasts.

please note that channel nine australia is not known for it’s quality journalism.

Not all australian kids are that stupid, there are much wiser and more interested Harry Potter fans in this country, and i would better dollars to pounds that those particular children “knew someone” and were selected on grounds such as “my daddy produced this segment” rather than how much of a fan the kid was.

Avatar Image says:

I agree Emma, those kids were not very representative. I mean ‘I like that it has magic’? I think that speaks for itself and channel nine is renowned for its ‘connected’ interviewee’s – but we hardly get any HP related stuff in Australia I think that kind of makes up for it :)

Avatar Image says:

If you compare the 60 minutes interview to the Sunrise interview (both Australian shows) you will note that the trio have the same clothes on. Therefore I am assuming this was a media question time (press junket) where each journalist gets ushered in to a room where the actors are, gets to ask a few questions of each of them in an allotted time and then the next journalist comes in. I thought overall the 60 minutes interview of the trio was VERY average. The whole segment showed excerpts from the previous 4 movies and very little (maybe 10 seconds) footage of HP5.

The very smitten Sunrise interviewer was a HP fan and did a far better interview than Tara Brown. From what the Sunrise interviewer said during her segment the media session was in the UK after a media viewing of the movie.

I will have to watch the clip again but I am pretty sure the children were speaking with a British accent and weren’t Australian children at all!

Avatar Image says:

see what me, wild sirius and lily mean?

channel nine is crap – seven did a much better job and they are useless too

i just won’t be happy until the movie is out!!! only a few more days!!!!!!! as Hewitt would say “C’MOOOOOOOOOOON!!!!!!!!!”

Avatar Image says:

They were English children, not Australian, can tell by their accents as well as Tara brown saying something along the lines of she ‘went over’ to interview the Trio… plus seeing the children run towards a castle-looking building (none like that here in Australia!)

Avatar Image says:

Yeah, I was the person on the chat afterwards.

The kids were British kids, so that was a bit disappointing. They were also young kids so they look at the book differently than we do.

Here’s the link to the chat transcript. It’s more representative of the fandom. http://sixtyminutes.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=276285

Avatar Image says:

Hey, I just noticed something. You have all been talking about the interviews with the trio. I thought that they sounded eerily familiar. The exact same interview was on 60 minutes 7 months ago. Though this time the questions were organised differently, just another example of how cheap chanell 9 is.

Avatar Image says:

Just out of interest does Rupert still exist in the Harry Potter acting trio???

Avatar Image says:

They were definitely British kids being interviewed.

I saw the 60 Minutes thing on video and I thought the Trio, especially Dan and Emma, seemed really uptight with the interviewer. This interview was done at the same time as all the other press junket interviews. The Sunrise interview, and I’ve just seen another with Dan (IESB), done on the same day, were much more informal and relaxed. It’s amazing the difference a good interviewer makes.

Espy, in the IESB interview Dan mentions a particularly mad Spanish fan experience, so he’s definitely not singling out American fans. Also, in both examples he is smiling and he finds the experiences amusing. The 60 Minute interviewer was the one forcing him to generalise with that stupid question but I’m sure he knows there are mad and not so mad fans in any country!

Avatar Image says:

Char, I think there are buildings like that, I know UQ in Qld is from a similar period and one of the Sydney Uni’s too or surely one in Melbourne would look like that or similar – but whatever, if its in the UK it is, but I know there are similar buidlings here in Australia.

Avatar ImageWON_TWO says: Missed that one...

Write a Reply or Comment