193

Jul 15, 2007

Posted by EdwardTLC
Uncategorized

An AP report now online is estimating that Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix took in $77.4 million in three-day earnings, putting it at the top of the box office for the week. This additional intake has brought up the full five-day domestic total for the film to over $140 million. As expected, Order of the Phoenix sits a top the US box office, but internationally, the film is also enjoying staggering box office takes, with an estimated $190 million gross since Wednesday in the 44 countries the film was released in. After only five days, the fifth film has grossed over $330 million worldwide.

Dan Fellman, head of distribution for Warner Bros, commented in the article about the decision to have the film open on a Wednesday, rather than the traditional Friday release, as the first four Potter films did. He said:

“We’re in the middle of summer, and we just said why not, because kids are out of school… It certainly turned out to be the right decision.”

“Order of the Phoenix” did more business in five days than each of the first three “Harry Potter” movies did in their first full week, and it nearly matched the $146 million first week total of the fourth film, “Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire,” Fellman said.

26 Responses to Estimated $77 Million Weekend Take for OotP, Five Day Domestic Totals Over $140 Million

Avatar Image says:

whoa!! sweet!! im seeing it for the third time tomorrow… =]

Avatar Image says:

WOW!!! Thats pretty cool! Im going to see it today! I hope i won’t be dissapointed…

Avatar Image says:

I’m a bit confused! I thought GOF did about $100 million its first weekend. Guess I got that confused with its first week’s totals. Well, anyway, it did great. Luckily, some so-so reviews didn’t seem to keep people away from the film. Certainly not me! I just finished my third viewing a couple of hours ago! I enjoyed it tremendously. Memorable moments: 1. the kiss, which was a bit more intense and long lasting than I expected!; 2. the twins going out in style!; 3. Sirius punching Lucius Malfoy in the face!(“Wand? I don’t need no steenking wand!”); 4. Umbridge getting carried off by the centaurs; 5. Kingsley: “You might not like Dumbledore but you’ve got to admit…he’s got style!”(this got the biggest laugh from the audience every time I saw it); and many more. A big “way to go, girl!” to Helena Bonham Carter for understanding that Bellatrix has just plain gone nuts while in Azkaban. Her performance was right on! Also, thank you, Imelda, for making me hate your guts! Great job! I was also impressed with Dan’s performance(his best so far). I could go on, but perhaps I should save it for another forum.

Avatar Image says:

So wait… $190 million total from 40+ countries… and $140 million of that came from one country alone? holy smokes… well done OOTP though… this movie had better make a lot of money, we want WB to know that their audience appreciates darker films.

Avatar Image says:

Looks like OOTP will probably make a billion when all is said and done. Wow, and there are still 2 more movies to go. awesome.

Avatar Image says:

YAYYYYYYYYY! I love that movie! lol.

“I’m a bit confused! I thought GOF did about $100 million its first weekend. “

It did. But it opened on a Friday. Order of the Phoenix had most people seeing it on Wednesday, which took away from its weekend. But it’s made more money in its first 5 days than any other HP movie. In its first week (7 days) GoF made only SLIGHTLY more than what OOtP made in 5 days. So by far, Order’s ahead of the rest of the franchise.

Avatar Image says:

Saw my first HP movie in a theater over the weekend. On top of that it was on an IMAX screen. Had a REALLY GOOD time!

Imelda Staunton and Evanna Lynch were simply PERFECT! Gary Oldman and Alan Rickman were GREAT and for the first time, I actually enjoyed Michael Gambon’s performance. Would like to have seen more of Helena Bonham Carter and Emma Thompson.

The “kids” were also very good. Loved Matt Lewis as Neville and I can see the continued improvement in the trio. Dan and Emma were very good, but for me, Rupert particularly stood out. Look forward to seeing even more of Rupert in HBP.

Was disappointed in the ministry fight at the end. It was so much more exciting to read than to watch despite the fact that it was in 3-D.

My favorite scene was Fred and George’s grand exit from Hogwarts. It was GREAT!

Avatar Image says:

Well I saw this movie twice, and it was fabo.

unfortunatly i had really high expectations, but it fell below. I was expecting the Ministry of Magic fight to be jawdropping amazing…it wasn’t. It was still good, but I was expecting like Lord of the Rings kinda drawn out battle. lol.

I was hoping the movie would stick a little bit closer to the book though (such as the Cho Chang w/o her friend) all in all a great movie!

Avatar Image says:

Great movie! Just saw it! I was more moved by this one than ANY of the others! Go see it now!!

Avatar Image says:

for those who want spoilers of book 7, harrylatino.com has the first paragaph of the first chapter of the book.

Its awesome…

Avatar Image says:

Ebert and Roeper (guest critic in for Ebert) gave it two thumbs up.

Avatar Image says:

I am so sorry to say that I contributed to that. Definitely the worst of the series.

Avatar Image says:

I saw the movie yesterday. It is my favorite HP film, based on my favorite HP book. It was AWESOME. I REALLY wanted to smack Dudley in the face at the beginning of the film, he was saying really mean things to Harry. I wanted to get his stupid friends, as well. The performances were great. Imelda, Helena, and Evanna were brilliant. Alan Rickman and Gary Oldman stood out, too. Daniel Radcliffe has definitely improved, and his acting was great. Emma Watson (although I think she’s very hot)is good, but is probably the worst out of the trio. Rupert Grint was really good this time. I’m glad that Ron’s character was done justice this time. No longer is he scared all the time, nor does he make sick-to-my-stomach facial expressions. He really comes off as a loyal, true friend to Harry. I loved the scene with Harry and Seamus in the common room. I loved this part:

Seamus: “Surely you don’t believe the rubbish he’s been saying about You-Know-Who.” (I don’t remember the exact wording)

Ron: “Yeah, I do. Anyone else got a problem with Harry?”

I’m not sure if I included all of the lines that I meant to include, but ah well. I just LOVED that scene, and Rupert Grint was fantastic. That is one of the reasons why Ron is my favorite out of the trio. There were definitely disappointments, but I still think this is the best film. Michael Gambon has improved since GoF (I thought he did good in PoA, though), but he still isn’t the best Dumbledore. He doesn’t have the calmness or the twinkle in his eyes. Come to think of it, his eyes aren’t even blue! Ah well. btw,

I’m also really impressed with Natalia Tena, who played Tonks. She was sexy, feisty, and funny, as well as clumsy. Bonnie Wright was great as Ginny, and is developing perfectly along with the character. Matthew Lewis has always done a really good performance. Same goes for Tom Felton, although he had little to do here. I hope that there is more Remus Lupin in HBP. David Thewlis does a great job, and Remus is my 3rd fav. character. Brendan Gleeson is great as Mad-Eye, as well. Same goes for Robbie Coltrane as Hagrid (who is my favorite character). Thank God David Yates is directing HBP!

Avatar Image says:

I agree that this was the first HP movie since the 1st one to really get Ron right.

Avatar Image says:

Question: Do you think the Deathly Hallows release will help or hurt next weekends box office totals for OOTP? Personally I think it will have really good Friday night as people warm up for the midnight release, but Saturday and Sunday will see a major drop as fans lock themselves away to read the book. What do you folks think?

Avatar Image says:

Darthvoldemort, I agree. i really dont think that the movie will suffer tremendously. Not everyone is into the books and prefers the movies, (of course, their mental mind you!) Nah, I think the movie should do fine. i want it to do great so David Yates gets fired up for HBP.

Avatar Image says:

That’s really great. I watched the film on Saturday and it was really good. Can’t wait for HBP.

Avatar Image says:

I think people who have not read the books will go to see the film this coming weekend, having heard good things about it. People who have read the books will obviously be in a cupboard with lots of caffeine reading book 7 where no-one can reach them with any spoilers.

The film and the book together are one big publicity explosion which can only be good news for both.

Is anyone getting really nervous about this Friday? I’m all jittery!

Avatar Image says:

I know, can’t wait for Saturday. This time next week, I will know what happens in the end.

Avatar Image says:

I’m sorry but I’m quite disappointed w/ the movie. I know not to expect much from it but then again it still did not match to my not-so-high expectation. But I love LUNA and SNAPE!

Avatar Image says:

I agree with those who say that Michael Gambon has improved his portrayal of Dumbledore. There is still room for improvement, but he has got it better by 60%, at least.

Carry on, Sir Michael. You are on the right track.

The film was better than feared and not as good as hoped. But that is cinema. Give me the books any time.

Only five days till revelation. I am on pins.

Cherio!

Avatar Image says:

I am very disapointed in the movie. I felt like I was watching the trailer for the movie. It was so chopped up and show Umbridge too much in the movie her role was bigger than DD. I would have really liked to see Weasley is our King! or the interview with Rita to have been included.

Avatar Image says:

Saw the movie in London last Thursday. It was packed and the audience and I had a great time. I thought it was an intelligent adaptation (of a long-winded novel) and enjoyed Imelda Staunton and Daniel Radcliffe. Thought they were great!

Even my husband, who tolerates Potter for the sake of our child and me, thought it was good!

It’s Potter madness here in the UK, by the way. Everywhere I turn, there’s Harry!

Avatar Image says:

Got off work Friday to go see it, and saw it again Sat morning. Loved it! Most of my friends are non-HP readers, and they enjoyed this movie too (I make them go to the movies so I can still talk HP with them). A nimble plot (plot hole of the thestrels notwithstanding) and Ms. Staunton’s my new favorite actress.

Loved to hear the crowd cheer when Dumbledore escaped by phoenix, and when the wall of edicts came crashing down!

Avatar Image says:

Dumbledore’s phoenix scene was really great! One of my favourite scenes. ‘You’ve got to admit he’s got style’! :D

I’m not going to bother to give a review of the film- I’ve read and written too much on it already. Except to say that I am so proud of Dan and looking forward to seeing what he can bring to HBP post-his-Equus experience.

Write a Reply or Comment