Filch Speaks: A New Interview with Actor David Bradley

242

Jul 16, 2007

Posted by SueTLC
Uncategorized

There is a new interview online with actor David Bradley about his role as Hogwarts caretaker Argus Filch in the Harry Potter films. The acclaimed stage actor elaborates on his comedic turn in the latest Potter film, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, as he describes his role providing some of the film’s lighter moments such as when his character is often seen with a hammer and ladder, posting one of the many proclamations from Umbridge, or bearing the brunt of one of the Weasley twins jokes.

“I had more screen time than ever, but not a single word to say!” laughs David, who lives in Stratford-upon-Avon. “I didn’t have to bother learning lines.” But, at 65, David still did all his own stunts, including teetering at the top of a 30 foot high ladder, to hang up the latest decree from nasty new Hogwarts headmistress Dolores Umbridge, played by Imelda Staunton.

“I used to be terrified of heights,” reveals David. “My wife Rosanna used to have to climb up to the loft while I held the ladder. But I had to conquer my fear when I played God at the National Theatre, when I was raised above the audience.”

“They were shaking the ladder on Harry Potter, so I had a harness on just in case. I found it was easier to stay up there for half an hour rather than come down after each take.

“I also had to have my face covered in boils for one scene, when Filch eats a Weasley magic sweet. That took an extra couple of hours in make-up, beyond the hour it takes to put in the hair extensions.”

The article also contains brief facts about other members of the cast seen in “Order of the Phoenix,” including the Phelps brothers (Fred & George Weasley), Mark Williams and Julie Walters (Arthur and Molly Weasley), and Richard Griffiths (Uncle Vernon).

11 Responses to Filch Speaks: A New Interview with Actor David Bradley

Avatar Image says:

Those boils were DISGUSTING!!! haha, it sounds like he was pretty happy with everything :)

Avatar Image says:

I loved Filch this time around. -B

Avatar Image says:

Yay for Filch getting more screen time! Yeah I really noticed he was in a lot of this movie, which is good because Filch is usually shund. :-(

Avatar Image says:

Saw OOTP twice this weekend. People groaned both times when Filch’s boil burst. I didn’t even notice that he had no lines—great performance!

Avatar Image says:

Haha, I loved Filch in this film – I really liked what they did with his character. xD

Avatar Image says:

David Bradley is the best! I hope Filch is the one to do magic!

Avatar Image says:

Filch made me laugh through and through. I was glad he got more screen time. Him, eating a sandwich or him getting boils.

Hilarious!!!

Avatar Image says:

I loved what they did with Filch this time, too. I loved that Fred and George gave him some of their special candy, lol. It really did their characters justice. btw, James and Oliver were 5’5” in the first film? And they were 15? Now they’re 6’3”? Wow, I’m 14 and 5’6”, maybe there’s hope for me to reach at least 5’10” or something. I really want to grow, lol.

Avatar Image says:

Interesting fact that Ian McKellen turned down the role of Dumbledore after Richard Harris died. I wondered what was his reason, maybe he feared to be cast in Gandalfian role for the rest of his life. But I rather would see him then Gambon.

Avatar Image says:

I love the character of Filch, David plays him so well. He was so funny in this movie.

I also loved him in the “Hot Fuzz” movie, he was hilarious…...

Avatar ImagecrazyforSeverus says: Filch is the best. I like how funny his character has gotten. Wow...the boils was just makeup. Awesome! I don't remember him being in the 6th, hopefully he will be back in the 7th.

Write a Reply or Comment