Jim Dale Not Talking the End of “Deathly Hallows”

113

Jul 17, 2007

Posted by SueTLC
Uncategorized

The New York Times has a new interview with actor Jim Dale about the work he does recording the audio books of the US editions of the Harry Potter novels. In this new article, Mr. Dale says after completing his work for the Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows audiobook, he of course knows the ending to the series (“It’s a surprise ending,Let’s say that”) but says he will not be spoiling anyone by revealing the outcome of the book.

“Mr. Dale signed a confidentiality agreement so that he will not breathe a word of the plot.

But after spending eight years creating more than 200 voices for all the characters in the “Harry Potter” books, Mr. Dale really believes that readers ” and listeners ” should discover the end for themselves.

“For those people who say, ˜C’mon, Jim, how does it end?,’ it’s like parents who say: ˜There’s a surprise gift for you in the next room. It’s a bicycle,’ ” said Mr. Dale, whose apartment could easily make a Hogwarts professor feel at home with its eclectic collections of Victorian cake decorations, pewter plates and Persian swords. “Let the child find out for himself by opening this gift.”

Hear hear!

The piece continues on to provide some insights into the process the actor uses while recording the books, and says the following about how he approached recording Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

“Deathly Hallows’ which runs to 784 pages in the ink-and-paper version, took about two and a half weeks, working six-and-a-half-hour days, recording about 18 to 20 pages an hour, to finish. As with the other books, Mr. Dale received the manuscript only two or three days before he was scheduled to begin recording.

“That makes it impossible for me to actually read it before recording it’ said Mr. Dale, who does not possess the 13-year-old megafan’s ability to inhale the book in a weekend.

So he read about 100 pages ahead, and noted all the different voices he needed for the first few days of recording. The benefit of reading in chunks, Mr. Dale said, is that: “I don’t ever know how the book is going to end so I can’t unconsciously lead you in the direction that the book is going. I don’t know who the villain is because I am just reading 100 pages at a time.”

43 Responses to Jim Dale Not Talking the End of “Deathly Hallows”

Avatar Image says:

its going to be the best present i get, because my Bday is the day befor it come out, im sooooo excitied…..

Avatar Image says:

Wow, a surprising ending, I don’t like the sound of that.

Avatar Image says:

Hi, i think the surprise ending could be good, because everyone believes harry dies, basically. So if it is surprising Harry won’t die!!!

Avatar Image says:

I like the idea of a surprise ending :P. Oh, and about the day before a birthday, Jo finished writing DH on Jan. 11th, the day before my birthday as well! Why couldn’t she have taken one more day…!!

‘It’s a bicycle,’ said Mr. Dale

OMG! He totally revealed that there’s gonna be a bicycle in the end of Deathly Hallows!!!

Avatar Image says:

I think it would be a real surprise if it ended with Harry Ron and Hermione sitting in a cafe. The jukebox is playing and the cafe door opens and in walks Voldemort. And the last page is blank.

Avatar Image says:

The man is truly a master at his craft. Imagine receiving the book only 2-3 days before recording, AND being as ON as he is! I love listening to him read the books to me!

SUPRIZE ENDING….OMG…..OMG….4 DAYS LEFT!!!! DID I ALREADY SAY, OMG…OMG…OMG

Avatar Image says:

Yup, Jim Dale is pretty much awesome! I’ll probably read the book before I hear the audio version, but I’m looking forward to it.

And Leaky, I love that you put the Harry and the Potters PSA on the comments. Leaky=Love _

Avatar Image says:

I’m listening to him right now! Ah GOD THIS MAKES ME EXCITED (understatement of my life)

Suprise Ending?? OMG!

oh, wait… every harry potter book has a surprise ending

seriously people

Avatar Image says:

The Harry Potter series have become more than anything Jo might of had in mind. Cheers to her for changing the world of literature. As a great person once said “We do not remember days, we remember moments” What Jim Dale said in this interview about “Leting us find out for ourselves by opening this gift” is a moment I will never forget. And it will go right up there with the first time I rode a bike, the first time I read a book, the first time I opened a Harry Potter book, my first crush and millions of more moments (and it is great that i can share them with you guys)

Avatar Image says:

Hmm… Jim Dale says it “runs 784 pages in the ink and paper version” so is that more or less than previous ones?

Avatar Image says:

Hi my question is I know the book is published on the 21th of July but does that mean I get the book on Friday or on Saturday…Pls help me because it’s driving me crazy!!!! Thank you!

Avatar Image says:

You get the book on Saturday.

Avatar Image says:

Many comments about spoilers and the surprise ending (great!) but nothing or not much about Jim Dale himself… Kudos to Jim for all that work. He does a great job, talking for hours and hours in different voices for the audio books. Nice work, Jim! :)

Avatar Image says:

Wow, sugzzle, if you live anywhere near San Francisco I have the number of a terrific psychologist.

Hm. Surprise ending….

Avatar Image says:

LEAKY STAAA-HAAAFF! Please hear me! Just have a look at the last few comments above…

I think Jim Dale wouldn’t knowingly spoil the book for people even if he hadn’t signed that contract.

“I don’t know who the villain is because I am just reading 100 pages at a time.”

Interesting, very interesting!

Avatar Image says:

‘It’s a suprise ending, let’s say that’

So the Giant Squid IS the world’s largest Animagus after all and transforms into Godric Gryffindor at the eleventh hour!! lol

Avatar Image says:

Just out of curiosity, is anyone taking part in the fire the grid event tomorrow 11:11 gmt??

If you don’t know what i’m talking about then go to firethegrid.com

Avatar Image says:

Hi Harryfan, on July 7, in an interview with Jonathan Ross, Jo stated that “scar” was the last word for many years but that it had changed. It was near the end. I’m not sure what “spoilers” are in any of Jim Dale’s comments, he seems to be very professional and quite a talented man. I’m looking forward to Saturday…nothing and no one will spoil anything for me!

Avatar Image says:

Wow, this is the first DH-related Leaky post that has filled me with joy and anticipation, rather than dread!!

Avatar Image says:

I think that harry potter is gonna die, but basicaly the book is all about him and the evil voldemort. i dont want harry dead!!!

cant wait 4 da book. good luck harry.

Avatar Image says:

Just remember – on Saturday when you open the book to read the first page – it will never happen again!! It is so exciting but sad too. I’m going at midnight on Friday to get mine!! Jim Dale must be a genius to do all those different voices, I’d love to hear the audio-books. Perhaps for Christmas, birthday, anyone???

Avatar Image says:

Hey people! All of you who pissed themselves in excitement, plz don’t do it here! And William, I hope that “bicycle” thing was just a badly sentenced joke… Calm down, people, it’s just a book!

Avatar Image says:

Stay inside! Don’t speak to others! Don’t go on Live Journal. Get your groceries delivered or wear your Ipod at all times in public. Spoilers are loose, I’ve heard. I’m not even going to read the rest of these comments lest they might be compromised. Paranoid and hunkering down, Ladysmantle

Avatar Image says:

Right thats it, im off to lock myself in a soundproof room with no telly, radio or computer till next tuesday, im having the book and food posted through a small opening in the door. see ya all next week x OMG what if i need the bathroom!!! lol

Avatar Image says:

How can he have the book right in front of him and not look at the ending for days?

Avatar Image says:

Thats it for me to. I just read on a danish newssite, that the entire book has been copied using a camera. They didn’t write the ending, though, and thanks god for that! I don’t know how I will survive until friday night without leaky to share the exitement, but I don’t even dare to read thes comments anymore, so I guess that is it. See you all next week on the safe side of release!

BREAKING NEWS!!

SNAPE KILLS DUMBLEDORE!

Posted by Mark on July 17, 2007 @ 01:16 AM

AGAIN!!!!???? why not someone else for the sake of change?

Avatar Image says:

oh god, a surprise ending. I’m having deja vu right now, i swear. lol.

i’ll be locked inside of my bedroom. no computer tv or radio til i finish the book! i’m way to excited for this…

Avatar Image says:

i thought the book was only 608 pages, are american editions longer coz they have pictures or something?

Avatar Image says:

Korts – Why are you even coming to this website and wasting your time making a pointless comment about us being excited about “just a book”?! This weekend is going to be one of the most anticipated moments in life for many people. Or pretty high up on the list. Just keep your negative comments to yourself. thanks

Avatar Image says:

Heh, “surprise ending.” Were people actually expecting a “predictable ending?” That just seems rather funny to me.

Avatar Image says:

It feels so good not to tingle in anticipation anymore, not to search Mugglenet/Leaky every half-hour, and just to read the news as a casual bystander would. I’ll still be glad to read Jo’s chat transcript, though, but to me it feels as if it’s all over, at least for now: the excitement has turned off, or burned out, whatever have you, and it is a huge relief.

Bicycle! Hah. Ferrari is more like it.

And come on, people. Giving ten-year-old kids a scare with big words about illegal stuff is hardly worth it, especially people seem to post spoilers anyway, judging by the above comments. I know Jo wouldn’t want to ruin people’s fun, but I don’t think Jo would’ve approved of bullying.

Avatar Image says:

Why do you think I’m turning off every electronic device in my house?

Avatar Image says:

Of course it is a surprise ending! No-one knows what will happen, so whatever it is, it is a surprise!

About spoilers, I was reading the Guardian and an article I thought it was totally harmless, because it talks about the documentary about Jo, but it seems the documentary shows the beginning of the book, it’s just a few lines but they posted them, so I couldn’t resist and I read it (I’m happy it was just like 4 lines of the beginning)and now I’m even more eager to read the book!!!! It’s interesting what Jim Dale says about not knowing who the villian is, it looks like we won’t know who is helping the Order and who is helping Voldemort until the end.

Avatar Image says:

From this interview, we can deduce that the book contains a new villian we have not met yet in addition to a shocking ending. I always thought that we would discover all we needed to by the end and the climax would just consist of a fight against Lord Voldemort. Apparently, though, J.K. Rowling is continuing her tradition of twister endings this time around! We’ll see in four days.

Anyways, I deeply admire and respect Jim Dale. He does such a marvelous job.

ciam45, the book is shorter in Britian because Scholastic, the United States publishers, uses a larger font size.

Avatar Image says:

i feel sick right now…surprise ending? ‘i dont know who the villian is…’ ? the villian? i thought that was LV? so we have more than one villian? snape? Lucius? Draco…no, cant be snape. sounds like Dales is hinting the villian is not who we expect it to be.. OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG ah…this is so sad!!!no more HP after this saturday…i’m gonna be reading like crazy… i swear.

Avatar Image says:

LOL. Glenn. This isn’t the Sopranos thank goodness.

Avatar Image says:

In the new magazine “Movie Magic” (which has mostly OOTP stuff in it) there is a good article on Jim Dale and I really liked this quote from him:

“The joy of the audio books is that they allow the listener to use their imagination to create a more outrageous and unusual sense of the characters than they could just listening to the voice in their head, which speaks with an American accent. The characters in these books are English. And hearing the books read with all the different English accents offers an entirely different experience.”

Avatar Image says:

HPfanatic, I think when he said “who the villain is” he was talking about the HP books in general, not just DH…

Write a Reply or Comment