Scholastic Issues Statement on “Deathly Hallows” Early Release of Books

112

Jul 18, 2007

Posted by SueTLC
Uncategorized

A retailer has broken their contract and released early copies of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows to customers. Levy Home Entertainment,(with shipments made by DeepDiscount.com, a customer of that distributor) have apparently sent out copies of the book early this week, in violation of their contract with Scholastic. As a response, the US Harry Potter publishers have now issued a press release, which you can read in full below, and says that “the number of copies shipped is around one one-hundredth of one percent of the total U.S. copies to go on sale at 12:01 am on July 21st.” Scholastic is also asking fans to please not spoil the book for the rest of we Harry Potter fans who are all eagerly awaiting the final installment of the Harry Potter series and to help “preserve the fun and excitement for fans everywhere”

Hear hear!

The entire press release is as follows:
Scholastic has recently learned that some individuals have received copies of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows through the mail , beginning on Tuesday, July 17th, as a result of a breach of the on-sale agreement by the distributor, Levy Home Entertainment, and shipments made by DeepDiscount.com, a customer of that distributor. We are taking immediate legal action against DeepDiscount.com and Levy
Home Entertainment. The number of copies shipped is around one one-hundredth of one percent of the total U.S. copies to go on sale at 12:01 am on July 21st.

We are also making a direct appeal to the Harry Potter fans who bought their books from DeepDiscount.com and may receive copies early requesting that they keep the packages hidden until midnight on July 21st.

Scholastic is especially grateful to the other retailers and distributors for their careful attention to keeping the books secure until the release time and for planning thousands of spectacular
midnight parties where fans will celebrate together. And we ask everyone, especially the media, to preserve the fun and excitement for fans everywhere.
anxiously awaited.

The fans themselves have made it abundantly clear that they are looking forward to going to the midnight parties, receiving their very own copy of the book and finally getting to read the book they have so

10 Responses to Scholastic Issues Statement on “Deathly Hallows” Early Release of Books

Avatar Image says:

I just sent a really nasty email to customer service of this company DeepDiscount, and I intend of sending much more! they shall pay!

Avatar Image says:

i reported this breach to this site and called scholastic! i read about it at one of my fitness boards, of all places! thank goodness the recipient was/is respectful of other readers and only proclaimed her happiness and excitement at having the book… but is not posting spoilers on that forum!

regardless….. i think deepdiscount and their parent company need to be fined and heavily!

Avatar Image says:

Wow! I used to buy DVD’s from Deep Discount, but I’ll never do business with them again! We should all boycott them!

Avatar Image says:

I really hope the book images that were on-line aren’t the real deal because the writing in those was so horrible and childlike that I’ll be deeply disappointed in JK if that was the actual book (I admit I read them with great shame). That epilogue was like some of the worst fan fiction I’ve read. I won’t say anything else about it but I’m really praying that was a creation from one of those fanatic…crazies out there.

Avatar Image says:

Someone posted a spoiler on my site and i wouldn’t look at it so i had to get my sister to delete it for me! They are real pains! Yer everyone boycott deepDiscount.com! lol x

Avatar Image says:

JKisQueen, I couldn’t resist reading this either, and I agree, it sucks. It would be ok as a fanfic, if the author had had the decency to post it on a fanfic site with a proper disclaimer, but this way, I couldn’t enjoy it and I deleted all the files after I felt absolutely sure it was a fake.

It must be hard for people who have been sent the real thing early. Imagine having a copy at home right now. I can’t pretend I could wait till Friday at midnight. But reading it in advance and then not being able to talk about it can’t be too much fun.

Avatar Image says:

Ive come across some spoilers and stopped myself from reading them.. I believe that deepdiscount.com should be fined VERY VERY VERY heavily!! Im about to drop them a nice ::coughs:: line… BOYCOTT DEEP DISCOUNT!!!! I cant believe them.. but i bet they got what they wanted.. Publicity!!! Shame!! :(

Avatar Image says:

I hope they enjoyed that nice little letter i wrote to them!!! I hope they feel like Poo for what theyve done!!!

Avatar Image says:

Holy side-scroll, Batman! This article is about three times the width of my screen! :(

Avatar Image says:

I guess it’s a good thing I didn’t order from them. I have the weekend reserved for reading the book. I don’t know if I’d get anything done if I got it early. lol

Write a Reply or Comment