Naomi Watts HPB Film Casting Report is False

114

Jul 25, 2007

Posted by SueTLC
Uncategorized

Various media and websites have been claiming that actress Naomi Watts has been cast as Narcissa Malfoy in the upcoming film of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. TLC has confirmed these reports are FALSE, as are similar rumors claiming that actors Joseph Fiennes and Stuart Townsend have also been cast in the sixth Harry Potter movie. While we are still awaiting official casting announcements, the Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince movie pre-production does continue, as they are set to begin filming in September, with a release date set for November, 2008.

8 Responses to Naomi Watts HPB Film Casting Report is False

Avatar Image says:

OotP was better than GoF in that it was more realistic and didn’t look so much like an animated cartoon, the graveyard was especially poor. However, Imelda Staunton, aka Umbrage, is terrible, she doesn’t appear to me to take her role seriously and is purposely irritating. Since she does not portray the maliciousness of her character, just a pink charade that is obnoxious, it will be difficult for me to watch OotP more than the one time. Hopefully, the Luna character will not try to overact her role, so far just barely balanced.

Avatar Image says:

Terrence, are you KIDDING me? Imelda was probably the mosr PERFECT new casting choice, other than Helena and Evanna. I respect people’s opinion, as well as yours, but I COMPLETELY disagree with EVERYTHING you said. Umbridge was very malicious, especially in her last few scenes. Evanna didn’t overact at all, so that’s where you’re wrong. She IS Luna.

Avatar Image says:

To Dumblemort,

We both agree on respecting differences in opinion. Please notice I did not say that Luna overacted, just that she was barely balanced and that she might be tempted in the next films to overact. I still can not stand the lack of subtlety in Staunton’s performance. If you think about Alan Rickman’s Snape, he is far superior to Staunton. Her role should contain some comedic element but she is so overstated that I find it irritating. Incidentally, I was happy to see that OotP is more realistic than GoF, for example the graveyard scene in GoF looks like cartoon animation. Again, Staunton is a caricature of a character, not enough substance and subtlety shown as to who she really would be. Thanks for your reply – Respectfully Yours, T.

Avatar Image says:

To Dumblemort – an added thought,

My guess is that you have not dealt with the variety of evil that flourishes in bureacracies and that Staunton, I think, should portray. The insane and destructive drive to perfection and power is real, not a joke, not funny. That type of person is perfect, subtle, blends in as one of the contributers to the organization’s goals as a disguise while they ensure only one goal, their personal advancement. That type never hisses ‘lies’ or acts anything much but overly-controlled pleasant and ordinary, and the successful ones mask a hidden intelligence. Perhaps I am blinded by experience with this type of evil but Staunton fails, or I misread the character myself.

Avatar Image says:

Sorry, I notice now that you didn’t really state that Evanna overacted, Terrence. I must say again that I completely disagree with you on Umbridgem but I do agree with you about Alan Rickman’s Snape. I kind of think that you did misread the character. Umbridge portrays her evilness in a poisonously sweet and girlish way most of the time. Imelda Staunton does that perfectly, in my opinion. In the scene in Umbridge’s office toward the end, she is EXACTLy how I imagine her in the book. In that scene, she is no longer acting sweet or girly, but downright evil, particularly when she slaps Harry. But I don’t think that the graveyard really looked cartoony, but that could be just me.

Overall, I disagree with most of your opinion, but at least you express your opinion in a sophisticated way, instead of saying, “Imelda Staunton SUCKS! I HATE her!” or something like that. As long as people express their opinions in the way that you expressed yours, I have no problem if someone disagrees with me.

Cheers, Dumblemort

Avatar Image says:

To Dumblemort,

It is always great to talk with folks who disagree, a chance to learn! As you mentioned some, mostly younger, people don’t express themselves and make it hard to understand what they are saying and why. On page 747 OotP Umbridge shows her real self. I have known several people in powerful positions similar to the Umbridge character and they are all extremely charming and enjoyable, that is until you analyze more closely their hidden destructive perfectionism and drive for power. The charm is an act but I still don’t feel Staunton was able to show how these folks operate, we all can’t help but love them. Most of these types are controlled, soft-spoken, and with iron discipline. They sell how comfortable and safe they make you feel. Perhaps, their parents never loved them unless they performed that way, who knows. Anyway, perhaps you are correct since this movie does have to entertain a wide audience.

Avatar Image says:

I did like Staunton’s performance as Umbridge—just the way I thought she’d be…your friend until you cross her. However, I don’t think the movie was long enough (impossible to really make it long enough considering the length of the book) to show just how awful Umbridge really was.

Avatar Image says:

Dear Emily,

I have to agree that these type of people always make you feel that you are their friend and that also you should fear crossing them. Never think that they are your friend, that is foolish. However, they are great at making you feel that they are charming, the wide smile is infectious, and they are so hard to spot since they are extremely deceptive in their comforting demeanor. I do feel that my idea of Umbrage is consistent with the book but not how Umbrage was portrayed. Now it is true that the book character shows more upset than these types usually do, but that could be displayed more subtly in the movie. I believe the movie skipped the most important statement by Umbrage, that she had sent the Dementors to kill Harry in that most horrible way, clinical depression, as represented by the dementors. There is a partial explanation for this cluster of behaviours, it is called ‘reactive attachment disorder’, RAD. I am NOT saying that people who suffer from RAD are evil but rather that they have a terrible problem of feeling no attachment to human beings, all people are just objects that can be manipulated, as seen in Lord Voldemort, with destructive intent much clearer. RAD is supposed to come from a lack of affectionate handling of an infant and the cold, emotionless, flat behaviour is supposed to arise from the inability to relate. The destructive anger from denial of basic needs of an infant. I believe Umbrage’s remark about sending the Dementors to kill Harry reveals the deceptive, cold nature of the smiling and charming Umbrage. I will reread the book to try to ensure that this represents JK Rowling’s portrayal and is not just my experience with these types of successful but destructive power-seekers. Incidentally, the use of subtle methods to intimidate and of second parties that can not be traced easily, here the dementors, is typical. I truly appreciate your opinion and so far, no one has agreed with me about Imelda Staunton, a sign that I have to rethink, again. Thank you from Terrence

Write a Reply or Comment