LA Times Profile of Imelda Staunton

123

Jul 08, 2007

Posted by EdwardTLC
Uncategorized

The Los Angeles Times has a lengthy profile of Imelda Staunton, the actress who plays Professor Dolores Umbridge in the latest Harry Potter film, Order of the Phoenix. Playing a character Stephen King described as “the greatest make-believe villain to come along since Hannibal Lecter,” Mrs. Staunton found it difficult herself, to play the role. Describing the scene where she puts the character Harry Potter (Dan Radcliffe) through his first detention as “horrible,” she goes on to say of that scene:

“I was fine at the time, but afterward, you’re inside that skin for a while, and it’s not a very pleasant place to be. It’s an adult abusing a child, and whether you’re a mother or not, for a female to do it to a child is unthinkable and unbearable and intolerable.”

The article also features quotes from director David Yates who notes in the article, Mrs. Staunton was his sole choice to play Umbridge. He says of his choice:

“She’s a great serious actor who can also do wit really well,” he says. “For the Potter universe, you need that slightly heightened, slightly playful, slightly eccentric thing. But when you peel away a layer, there has to be something really substantial underneath.”

Mrs. Staunton also discusses her role as the title character of “Vera Drake,” which won her an Oscar nomination, and her life during that time. You can read the entire piece from the LA Times, right here.

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix will be in theaters July 11.

11 Responses to LA Times Profile of Imelda Staunton

Avatar Image says:

Lovely article, but what source was the author looking at for “Timothy West” as Fudge?

Staunton comes across as such a genuine woman, I can’t wait to see her!

Avatar Image says:

One of my former supervisors was widely referred to as Mummy Dearest until Order of the Phoenix came out…from that point on, she was known as Umbridge…. incidentally, this was at one of the largest universities in the US. ;-)

Avatar Image says:

I am really starting to love Imelda Staunton… it’s so refreshing to see one of the adult actors taking their role very seriously. You get tired of hearing them all taking about HP as “a fun bit of wand waving” don’t you? I sure do.

Avatar Image says:

She’s cool. When I saw that she was cast for the role I thought it was perfect. I hope there really is a part for her in Book 7 like JK hinted. She sounded quite excited at the Premiere when she was told that JK hadn’t done with Umbridge yet.

Avatar Image says:

She’s a great actress, if you haven’t seen it, watch Vera Drake, brillant film!!!

Avatar Image says:

I LOVE THIS WOMAN! I cant wait to see her Dolores

Avatar Image says:

Have LOVED Imelda Staunton ever since seeing “Vera Drake”. I agree with Neil…it was a brilliant film.

I liked her comment about the Steven Seagal film. LOL!

Six days until I see OOTP. YES!

Avatar Image says:

When I first read this article the other day I couldn’t help but chuckle about Staunton’s friend reading OOTP and calling her up to tell her that the role would be perfect for her. I can only imagine the conversations back and forth that the two of them had, especially as Staunton started reading the book!

Edward: I’m so sorry if you received several emails about this article from me. I’m not a stalker—honest :) I got a “This page can not be found” response instead of the usual one the first two times so I resent it yet again because I wasn’t sure if it went through.

Avatar Image says:

I heard a film review this morning of OOTP, where Stauntons’ performance of Umbridge was described as “the dark side of Miss Piggy.” It’s fun to LOL on the morning commute!

Avatar ImagecrazyforSeverus says: Imelda Staunton is a fantastic Umbridge. I definatley agree with Stephen King, she is a really great villian. She's so evil!Avatar ImageWON_TWO says: Perfectly cast!

Write a Reply or Comment