WB: Harry Potter Films Now the Top Grossing Franchise of All-Time

122

Sep 11, 2007

Posted by SueTLC
Uncategorized

Variety is reporting tonight that Warner Brothers has announced the Harry Potter film series are now the top-grossing film franchise in movie history. Amassing a staggering ” $4.47 billion worldwide,” the series about the boy who lived has surpassed the box office totals for all 22 of the James Bond films, as well as the six “Star Wars” films.

UPDATE: Warner Brothers has now issued a press release to TLC with more on this achievement, and includes the following:

In addition to holding the franchise box office record, all five of the Harry Potter films have the distinction of being among the 20 top-grossing box office hits of all time.

In making the announcement, Alan Horn said, “It would be an understatement to say we are proud of the success of the Harry Potter films. We also want to congratulate all of the extraordinary actors, filmmakers and artists who have shared this remarkable cinematic journey with us.”

Dan Fellman, Warner Bros. Pictures President of Domestic Distribution, said, “It is a thrill to see the Harry Potter franchise reach this unparalleled mark, and, with two movies yet to come, it is amazing to think what heights the franchise could reach by the end of the decade.

Veronika Kwan-Rubinek, Warner Bros. Pictures President of International Distribution, added, “This worldwide box office record once again proves that the appeal of the Harry Potter movies knows no border, no age limit, and no language barrier. Each of the five films has captured the hearts and sparked the imagination of audiences everywhere.”

Reports Variety:

Bond, which dates back to 1962, has generated $4.44 billion worldwide and the “Star Wars” pics have pulled down $4.23 billion since the first release in 1977.

For its part, Fox says that the “Star Wars” franchise would, with adjustment made for inflation, actually translate into $6.21 billion; MGM had no comment about what Bond’s adjusted B.O. would be.

And domestically the “Star Wars” franchise still far outpaces the boy wizard. All told, the “Star Wars” pics have grossed $2.18 billion, while the “Harry Potter” franchise has grossed $1.41 billion. But then there are still two more “Potters” to go.

And all three have generated millions upon millions in downstream ancillary coin for their studios, once homevideo and TV revenue are added into the tallies.

The final two Harry Potter films have yet to be released, with Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince set to begin principal photography in a few weeks and is due in theaters November 21, 2008. The Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows film is set for release some time in 2010.

54 Responses to WB: Harry Potter Films Now the Top Grossing Franchise of All-Time

Avatar Image says:

not a surprise after the 7th book.

Avatar Image says:

I hope over all it beats star wars… :) But yea the movies definatelly are awesome

Avatar Image says:

Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude. That’s a lot of money. GO POTTER!

Avatar Image says:

This makes me strangely proud. I think it’ll beat out Star Wars- Harry Potter Forever!!!

Woooooow. Just – wow.

Avatar Image says:

WOOO-HOOO! Potter rules! It beat James Bond, which has 22 films? That’s pretty amazing.

Avatar Image says:

That is a lot of money$$$$$! Go Potter! I love you!

Avatar Image says:

staggering, indeed. congratulations, everyone Harry Potter! as i like to toast: Long Live the Boy Who Lived! =)

Avatar Image says:

Even with the box-office revenues for “Star Wars” and “Bond” adjusted for inflation, the fact that “Harry Potter” has amassed that kind of money in only 5 outings is impressive. And the success of the final two should be in line with the first five, so the Harry Potter franchise will most likely beat “Star Wars” by the time DH closes at the box office in 2010.

Avatar Image says:

Well, I’m ok with this news. It puts my 3 favorite film serie at 1-2-3 in the record books.

Avatar Image says:

Well, if they’re so loaded, they better not skimp on special effects and CG characters for the last two movies. (I wouldn’t want to see the maze from the fourth movie repeat itself!) Some house elves should definitely make their appearance, otherwise they’ll leave Hermione without a reason to kiss Ron. And lets face it, that’s what most of us are waiting for in the first place. ;)

Avatar Image says:

And this is with only 5 movies in the bag and with 2 more to go. Way to go! Remember the Star Wars franchise was done over a 25-30 year period.

Avatar Image says:

Warner Bros thanked Actors, film makers and Artists. So what category does JK Rowling fall under? The films are based heavily on her books so why does she not get at least a nod? None of this would have happened without her. Just surprised at this ommission

Avatar Image says:

I agree with Professor Potter…maybe they included JK with the “artists”...but she should have been named “first and foremost”!

It is pretty amazing to think that the films have done this well in a relatively short time! I always look so forward to going to the theatre to see how they did a certain effect and how they tell the story. I remember being floored with the dementors in PoA—to me, they looked just they way I thought they would look.

Avatar Image says:

Holy crap—are you serious? It beat Star Wars? Wowwwwww. That’s freakin’...amazing.

Avatar Image says:

Does this include DVD sales too? Because if that is so, we still have the release of the fifth movie to tack onto the total in a few months. And think about the DH film. For some reason, I feel like that could really beat out the rest of the Potters for the highest grossing Potter film.

Avatar Image says:

Ponette, speak for yourself. r/Hr’s kiss is way down the want list for me. I’ve always been captured by Harry’s story and his tragedy. Kisswise, i’m rather see evil H/Hr’s kiss-their chemistry would burn up the screen!

Avatar Image says:

radcakesfan: thanks, i couldn’t agree more! ‘that’s what most of us are waiting for in the first place’... come on, who really cares?!

Avatar Image says:

one word to this article: obviously. :P

Avatar Image says:

To be honest, even if WB made a horrendous HP movie, we’d still see it (multiple times) because that’s how much we love JKR’s books. So it’s disappointing that WB didn’t mention her.

Avatar Image says:

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! HARRY POTTER ALL THE WAY!!!!

Avatar Image says:

Ponette – I am with you. With all this dough flying around, they have no excuse for not making the last two films SPECTACULAR.

I marvel at just how much $$ these films have made and all the people who are now wealthy as a result! I knew I should have set my sights on being a WB executive!

Avatar Image says:

I am hoping with this news that the movie makers will be able to spend more money to make the movies WE want to see and they stop using the excuse of cutting out Dobby because he cost too much money to put on screen. I hope they will spend the money needed to make the last two movies the best…especially the awsome final battle at Hogwarts that Jo wrote.

Avatar Image says:

Pointless to compare unless using dollars adjusted for inflation. Regardless of this, however, it appears the Potter movies will overtake any other franchise. This is a great accomplishment!

However, Jim Dale’s performance on the audio books far surpasses any movie experience. Next to reading the books “the old fashioned way” Dale’s readings are as good as it gets.

Avatar Image says:

Congratulations to Warner Brothers for earning this much money through the films. Now that you have acquired all of those dollars, you better utilize them wisely. That may or may not include making the Deathly Hallows the three hour epic it has to be. ;)

Even if profits are adjusted for inflation, it goes without saying that HP still performed spectacular feats at the box office.

Avatar Image says:

These figures have to be inflation-adjusted or they mean nothing. In which case, even the most successful Potter film “The Philosopher’s Stone” might – only might – just make it into the top 50 all-time highest grossing films. The rest probably would not even make the top 100. To claim all five HP movies are in the top 20 ever is disingenuous, or plain ignorant. But that’s movie executives. ;-)

The first six James Bond movies were released in the 1960s when it cost about $1 to see a movie. Directly comparing the grosses to 21st century films is plain stupid.

Woo yeah go Harry and everything, but get some perspective!

Avatar Image says:

Radcakesfan and Johnny – fair enough, I’ll speak for myself, and might I add JK Rowling, Emma Watson and zillions of other Ron/Hermione shippers in the equation? That’s not such a bad company to be with, is it? ;)

Avatar Image says:

But, blah, I didn’t want to get into an argument on shipping in the first place. I was just talking about money not being an excuse any more for the lack of Dobby and Firenze and other CG characters. sigh And thanks Yokata and Will, for putting things into perspective, at least for us. :D

Avatar Image says:

wow that’s amazing i think it will totally beat star wars go HP

Avatar Image says:

Yeah, hey great movies, but are the Brother’s Warner going to make anymore ‘Scoobie Doo movies??

Avatar Image says:

Woo! If they made that record with only 1 through 5, I can’t WAIT to see how high 6 and 7 shoot them.

I can’t WAIT to see either movie, I see them being the best of the whole franchise.

Keep up the great work guys! You all kick butt!

Avatar Image says:

Professor Potter- I thought that too when I read it! They talked about HP like it was their own creation. It’s this quote that I most disliked:

Avatar Image says:

this isn’t a surprise. its like ive been saying all along..THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS AND FILMS WILL ONE DAY RULE THE WORLD. mark my words.

Avatar Image says:

so, this is the leaky cauldron? pretty cool

Avatar Image says:

Ponette, I agree with the usage of special effects and cgi only to a certain extent. I would much rather see Matthew Lewis given Dobby’s lines than Dobby (the movie version clashes horribly with the version in my head- a live version would have been better). I would rather more time and effort be given to the actors and storyline than visual effects like quidditch for example. As for shipping, zillions don’t care about r/hr or the romances . It’s not all that important to the main storyline. At least the evil h/hr kiss leads to better trio characterization, which is important.

Avatar Image says:

Radcakesfan: Um, the evil H/Hr kiss wouldn’t even be in there if it weren’t for the romance plot. It’s Ron’s insecurity over his relationship with Hermione that causes it to manifest. No R/Hr, no H/Hr horcrux kiss. The horcrux scene is important to trio characterization, them kissing in that scene is not. It’s just what sends Ron over the edge. Plus, I’m sure a lot of fans who just watch the movies will be sort of grossed out by it after Harry freely explains Hermione is like a sister to him. Then it goes from “hot onscreen chemistry” to “pseudo-incest.” I have a feeling that to cut into the overdose of kisses though, they might cut that kiss anyway. Not the horcrux scene itself (god I hope not) though. I’m worried about that scene on the whole though because I have a hunch it has a chance of looking really goofy in however they choose to do it. Sirius in the fireplace in GoF was imho just wince-worthy. It looked silly.

R/Hr’s kiss is important whether you like the pairing or not. And by the way you don’t need to be a shipper to enjoy their relationship. Most readers of the HP books aren’t on the internet and they aren’t shippers, but I’m sure many of them like it and would be chapped to see that consummation cut from the movie. If they’re going to be married in the epilogue (which I am quite sure will be in the film) it would be just a wee bit awkward to at least not have them kiss before. It’s an expression of at least six movies of building tension. To leave that unresolved is just pure sloppiness. The movie really played up the Harry/Cho kiss as if it were a truly big deal. It wasn’t even shown in the books. I do not like how the movies characterize Ron nor Hermione but I simply cannot see them removing it. Hollywood loves romance and makeout sessions. If they add back in the house-elf plot at least slightly, the kiss will seem much more natural. Either way, it will happen. Whether you like R/Hr or not, it’s essential.

harry potter is life.

& I agree completely with what Kelly said.

Avatar Image says:

It may be gross to see a brother/sister kiss, but h/hr are not brother and sister. I’m not grossed out by seeing 2 people/friends kiss, so “pseudo-incest” is kind of out the window.It would still be a hot kiss, and as you say, it triggers Ron’s following reaction. It is, therefore to me, just as necessary. Incidentally, isn’t there just the 2 kisses anyway?Hardly an overload, except for R/hr fans lol. I don’t think there is a H/G kiss. Actually, I think they would cut the 19 year thing anyways, that is one ending that I think most people would like cut anyways and they always change the way the film ends. In this case, I look forward to it.

Avatar Image says:

I was going to say that was a ridiculous claim until they admitted it was before adjusting for inflation. Star Wars is clearly the winner and I can say that as someone who’s seen every Potter film and only one of the last three Star Wars movies.

Why would the WB publicize something that isn’t really true? To ignore inflation is to cheat to get the result desired. Harry Potter does fantastically well in theaters and will probably top this chart honestly by the end of the series. Its a shame that the WB has to grab for glory by distorting truth.

Avatar Image says:

Yes, there is an H/G kiss. One at the start of DH and Harry remembering Ginny’s blazing look and kissing her as his last memory before facing death.

I’m sure they’ll do their best to give us an entertaining DH movie. No need to worry about that since we’ve got HBP to worry about now, lol.

Avatar Image says:

It is not out the window. If they view each other as siblings, it’s got an incestual undertone to it and of course people would pick that up. Whether you’re blood related or not, making out with someone who you see as a sister (and vice versa) is absolutely pseudo-incest.

It is irrelevant as to how hot it would be (although glowing red eyes generally makes things less so), it is not essential. Having them embrace romantically or lean in with Ron cutting between it would give the exact same reaction. Absolutely no offense- it is very out there imho to play off that kiss as as important to the book than RHrs. It is simply not. That is seven books of building sexual tension conssummated, and regardless of any shipper preferences it would be extremely bad writing to just leave that unresolved. The horcrux scene is as important (if not more so), but that aspect of the scene is not. It was just one more thing to drive poor Ron crazy. Who knows if the scene will be kept in anyway? Considering their unfortunate habit of turning Ron from an actual character into pure comic relief, something this serious with him may be considered not necessary by Kloves (ugh).

There would be three kisses. That is a bit of an overload, especially considering there will be quite a bit of making out in HBP.

I don’t think they’ll cut the epilogue at all. Just because some of the internet fanbase dislikes it doesn’t mean that the general public will. Every person I’ve spoken to offline who reads the books has liked it and a few even called it “the best part of the book.” Stephen King called it “gorgeous,” and there was even an entire column in EW by someone else praising it. It’s not my favorite part, but you really cannot judge the general public’s view on something by looking at fandom. It’s a Hollywood ending and I’m about 90% sure it will be kept. And it should be.

Avatar Image says:

Yeah! That’s one hell of a slap on the face of those who criticize HP especially Daniel Radcliffe after doing the Equus thing like ‘no one’s gonna watch Potter now’! Ha! Hail Harry Potter (lol) and Hail George Weasley, the Holey One (lol)!!!

Avatar Image says:

My views on the ‘evil H/Hr kiss’... I’m sorry but I think it’s quite relevant. That’s Ron’s moment to show the audience that he is more than just a comical character. the ‘evil H/Hr kiss’ drove him to the edge and helped him show his real emotion and come on guys [b]RON WITH EMOTIONS[/b]??? Don’t we love to prove Hermione wrong that Ron doesn’t have a emotional range of a teaspoon. When I read that part of the book I realized and understand Ron more. Just like in RL, there are people who hides their real emotions, because that emotions are nothing but insecurities and pains, they pretend that everything’s fine… those people are represented in the book through Ron who we thought was very funny…just funny.. but the truth he’s got burden inside. From book1 we are to believe that Ron and Hermione’s going to hate each other forever even though they’re just friends… until the ‘evil H/Hr/Horcrux part’ when we finally understands how Ron truly feels about Harry and Hermione. The kiss have to do with Harry, too, and not only with Hermione.

And it’s the book they have to potraye not their real lives, so why would they think its a ‘psuedo-incest’... when they should be concerned about them being an actor who potrays the role of the most loved TRIO in the wholewide world and that they should potray their roles wholeheartedly and wonderfully.

Avatar Image says:

Isheruni: The horcrux scene is my favorite in the entire book, possibly all seven books. I’m not trying to downplay its significance, but there is a lot to the scene except that kiss. The scene brutally attacks all of Ron’s insecurities- that of his family, his best friend, and the girl he loves. The kiss has to do mostly with that last part. The kiss itself is not essential, it is just one part of the scene and can be just as well conveyed by the embrace and the dialogue. I disagree on the kiss being as relevant towards Harry. The kiss itself has to do more with Hermione, as it is a manifestation of his own deprecation of his self worth- Hermione will never choose me which yes does connect to Harry but at root ties to his romantic feelings for Hermione.

But I disagree on Ron finally proving he isn’t comic relief. He has been far more than just that all seven books, from the very beginning when he quite seriously risked his life on that chessboard. Just because he can be witty, doesn’t make him comic relief. His insecurities have been building up for books. Only in the movies is Ron mostly just comic relief.

I don’t get what you mean by that last part? They are portraying the characters of Harry and Hermione and for those two to make out is yes pseudo-incest. I’m not referring to Dan and Emma, but the roles they play on screen and what the moviegoers are going to see.

Avatar Image says:

The general public seeing the movie won’t see a brotherly/sister kiss, they are going to see a biotch of a Hermione slagging off poor Ron and wrapping herself around a smug, evil Harry. This turns gentle, funny Ron into a pushed-beyond-bearing agonized man who then destroys the horcrux. Simply pushing the two apart before they do anything isn’t going to have the dramatic oomph that scene should have (it’s a movie, for god’s sake). AFTERWARDS, they will see an appalled Harry comforting a shaken Ron, telling him no, she’s like a sister to him. This kiss has everything to do with Ron’s envy of Harry from Day One, being famous and rich and good and favoured by all, especially Hermione who he loves most of all. Except for Harry, who would Ron be jealous of among his classmates? He fears Harry more than Voldemort at times, because really, Voldemort was a nebulous figure throughout,whereas Harry was by his side in his daily life = competition in every sense. This rivalry has been seen since probably the first movie, when Harry gets the best broom in the world, plays quidditch, an invisibility cape that is really expensive,etc. This relationship has to be resolved too.

Avatar Image says:

It becomes that the moment Harry says she’s a sister to him. I’m not saying the audience is going to be really grossed out about it or something. Likely they’re going to see it exactly as you said- something that turned into easygoing Ron into someone desperate. However, I think that will dissuade it being a “hot kiss.”

The scene as a whole is definitely more about Harry and Ron, and that’s why I love it. I’m a huge sucker for their relationship. It’s really powerful. It’s also about his family, where he’s always felt inadequate. Hermione too, although she loves him, has not helped this along. She also underestimates him- the Prefect scene in OotP, the Felix Felicis scene in HBP, the “tone of surprise” scene after the seven Potters in DH. In DH she comes to appreciate him as he is and see that he is a hero to, not to be underestimated. It is an undertone but it is there. However, the kiss aspect is there purely because Ron loves Hermione. There would be absolutely zero reason for that kiss to be there were it not for RHr. The riddle!HHr kiss is in essence, an RHr scene.

I had a much better reply to this written but the comment did not go through and I forgot to copy it. Ah well.

Avatar Image says:

D’you know, I don’t recall the importance of Ron’s family is to him at that momemt, nor those other examples that you speak of. (eh, of course i’m more interested in Harry’s story). I do recall that it is his underlying feelings of inadequacy compared to Harry that comes out, that his fear that Hermione would/should/could prefer Harry. Yes, the kiss has to be hot, as a peck on the cheek isn’t going to cut it, sorry. The kiss is the ultimate in bringing about the resolvement of who stands where in the TRIO relationship, so the H/hr kiss is very important. This is still very much Harry’s story and like i have said, it reveals to the audience H/Hr relationship. Also, what stood out for me, is the strength of mind Ron has to understand he has to destroy the locket, that the duo standing before him aren’t real. If memory serves, he didn’t attack them, he struck the locket.

Avatar Image says:

@Kelly: I respect your opinion. You’ve made your point. I’m just hoping that DH Movie won’t turn out to be like OoTP Movie, that’s all. I know alot of people like Ootp, but I don’t. I was disillusioned. I wanted to see Lily, but nope they didn’t show her in the movie.. dobby as well… I want to see Dobby on DH Movie… oh, well.

Avatar Image says:

Radcakes: I was talking about his self-demeaning views connected to his family, which is absolutely in the scene. This has always been part of Ron’s issues. He is the sixth of seven kids and every person in his family has already done anything admirable he could do. It’s right here. After “I have seen your heart and it is mine” it’s actually the first thing the horcrux says-

“Least loved, always by the mother who craved a daughter.”

As for the other examples, well I quoted the books they’re in but- the first one is in “The Woes of Mrs. Weasley,” the second one is in “Felix Felicis” in HBP, and the third is in “Fallen Warrior” in DH.

There’s a lot of stuff that should be in the movies but isn’t. I’m not saying the kiss is not important at all, but if one kiss were cut- it is absolutely the least important of them. The scene might not be as powerful without it, but it still stands. That was really my initial argument and still is.

Avatar Image says:

I agree with radcakesfan that the R:H/R:Hr kiss is necessary. That’s what drives Ron on to destroy the thing. And I think it HAS to be gross – it’s an exaggeration designed to taunt Ron, and is coming from his paranoid mind. In the book I imagine it as quite lewd actually, with riddle:hermione sort of entwined (snake-like) around riddle:harry. So in my eyes it needs to end in a kiss. In Ron’s paranoid mind he had probably imagined that Harry and Hermione were getting off with each other since he left them.

But I guess the film-makers will be too scared and draw a line at just a cuddle and leery glances.

completely off topic I know, but I’ve already commented on the news :)

Avatar Image says:

oh yeah (these posts are coming thick and fast I missed the last few writing mine!)- I agree with you Kelly that the family bit is equally important part of the scene. But I do think you need both bits of the scene.

Avatar Image says:

I think the kiss that is really gratuitous is the R/Hr kiss. They just need to show them arm in arm at the last or whatever, but they don’t need to show her jumping into his arms as they do in the book. As the house elves issues were backstoried/not an issue, I think it would be hard to bring it up. It would come out of nowhere so to speak. This is not saying that the r/hr relationship is not an issue, they will show it to do the happilyeverafter bit, but the kiss itself..eh.

mwahahahahha

we’re EVERYWHERE!

first stop Top Movie Franchise, next…..WORLD DOMININATION!

Avatar Image says:

“Why would the WB publicize something that isn’t really true? To ignore inflation is to cheat to get the result desired.”

The sad truth Susan is that they do it because most people will not see past the headline (just look at some of the responses among these comments for proof of that!), and “WB Makes Big Money” is the message WB want everyone to hear.

Only three films of the last fifteen years have broken into the adjusted All-Time Top 20: “Titanic”, “Jurassic Park”, and “Star Wars The Phantom Menace”.

The chance of the “Harry Potter” series final adjusted gross exceeding that of the “Star Wars” series is very, very slim indeed, even with the advantage of having one more film!

Write a Reply or Comment