Portus, Terminus, Accio 2008 Updates and More

Sep 23, 2007

Posted by SueTLC
Uncategorized

While we still have several months to go in 2007, many of you are planning your Harry Potter travels for 2008. As such, we have a few updates regarding the various Harry Potter conferences set for next year.

First, Portus 2008, the Harry Potter symposium set for Dallas Texas July 10-13 2008 has now announced their first keynote speaker: Dr. Henry Jenkins. Tickets to the luncheon featuring the author of “Beyond the Borders of the Book: The Transformative Power of Fandom in the Age of Media Convergence,” and other books, will go on sale later this week, so be sure to check the Portus2008.org website soon for your chance to hear this exciting speaker. As a reminder, Floo Partner and Lexicon founder Steve Vander Ark will also be speaking at both the Welcoming and Leaving Feasts for Portus. For more information on this HPEF event (and be sure to check out the recently revamped website), click here.

Accio 2008 is a Harry Potter event set in the UK that will be held at the lovely Magdalen College, Oxford England July 25-27 2008. There is a call for papers that is ongoing, with more information on this via this link. To learn more about travel, programming and the location of this three day Harry Potter conference, be sure to explore the Accio 2008 website.

The windy city will be the site of Terminus, the Harry Potter conference set for August 7-11, 2008 in Chicago, Illinois. The conference, which will feature a host of academic and exploratory programing, is currently open for registration. Be sure to sign up for this already popular event, as ticket prices will rise at the end of October.

There are also two more events planned for next year, Convention Alley 2 in Ottawa, Ontario Canada , and Snidget 2008 to be held in Australia, however the websites for these events are unavailable at the moment, and we are unable to provide more information on these events at this time.UPDATE: HPEVENTS Australia has announced that unfortunately, Snidget 2008 has been canceled. Thanks Linda.

12 Responses to Portus, Terminus, Accio 2008 Updates and More

Avatar Image says:

Anyone who hasn’t gone to a conference yet should try to go! I can’t WAIT for Terminus! :)

Avatar Image says:

Don’t forget Wrock The Boat!

brazil.y love Emma Watson

Avatar Image says:

I wished I could go so bad but thank god for leaky at least they give a insite for those of us who just for “MANY” different reason just cant make them..lol Thank you

Avatar Image says:

Snidget was actually canceled a while ago.

Avatar Image says:

2008 is going to be so exciting! I’ve never been to a conference and I’m hoping to go to Portus and Terminus. :-) It’s quite uplifting that there is still so much excitement after the end of the series. Thank goodness that the fandom will never end!

Avatar Image says:

WHAT??? how can they cancel it! i get excited for like 2 seconds, and then see its canceled??? aussies whats wrong with you! why cant we all ban together and make something happen?????

Avatar Image says:

yes aussiepotterfan it is very disappointing. I think the major reason it was canceled was because there wasn’t enough awareness of it. We have many Harry Potter fans here in Australia but many of them aren’t well connected with the fandom. Plus, there aren’t many outlets for fans to get together and network around here. There isn’t a Harry Potter Fan Club in the whole of Sydney (where i live) and that’s sad. Even Brisbane has one! Brisbane!

Avatar Image says:

Sigh, I’m American and have never been to an HP conference, but I got excited when I saw there was one happening in Australia, too. FINALLY, a perfect excuse to visit! Sad :(

Avatar Image says:

I hate that theres never anything near RI….

Avatar Image says:

Why did they cancell the aussie coference, i have been trying to go to any of the conferences they have had for years, but i have the worst luck in the world, that whe i have the money, the tickets or something, something happens and i cant go, like my tickets were stolen once, my son had to have an operation so that meant my money i had saved had to go to that, and theres a thousand more things that have gone wwrong, simple little things like my daughter getting kidnapped, so this was goig to be one i might have had an actual chance to get to, that just shows how my luck runs, you think id be use to it by now,

Avatar Image says:

Has anyone been to “Accio 2005?” With only 150 people, how intense does it get. I’m a library clerk and would love to see Oxford. Is it worth while for a lurer who sometimes comments? I’m 53 and have never made it to England. This seems like a good excuse to go. Not that a con isn’t an excuse.

lurker