The Man Who Will be Slughorn

113

Sep 23, 2007

Posted by SueTLC
Uncategorized

Earlier this week actor Jim Broadbent confirmed he will be portraying Professor Horace Slughorn in the upcoming Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince movie, and there has been much interest and inquiries about the man who will be playing this pivotal character in movie six. The Telegraph has a new interview today with the acclaimed actor which does provide some insight and background that fans might enjoy reading. While Jim Broadbent does not discuss his role as the new Potions Master in the Harry Potter film, there is the following humorous exchange regarding academics of sort:

‘I suppose I am very aware that I am not academic at all, that university was never an option. I suppose I’ve got a what’s the word thing.’

Complex? ‘Complex about not being intellectual.’

So how did he overcome that complex to play an intellectual in Iris? ‘I think I might be intelligent but not clever. I didn’t have the A-levels.’

He was expelled for drinking, he adds in his monotonal way. ‘But only after A-levels. I was told I had to leave immediately after sitting my A-levels, which wasn’t a great hardship. Except I didn’t get to do the leavers’ play.’

I’m sure that he has been asked back to his school as the conquering hero many times since. ‘No, I haven’t actually. I must be down on the list: Expelled.’

Production is underway on Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, and the film will be released in theaters November 21, 2008.

14 Responses to The Man Who Will be Slughorn

nice interview

Avatar Image says:

Whoa! Jim Broadbent! He was also really incredible in a lost jewel of a film called “Rough Magic”(Bridget Fonda,Russell Crowe,D.W.Moffett,etc.). Highly recommended!

Avatar Image says:

Well done, Jim Broadbent!

Avatar Image says:

Jim Broadbent has done so much really wonderful work. Loved him in “Moulin Rouge” and “Longhorn”, two very different roles.

They fattened him up beautifully for his role as Zidler in “Moulin Rouge” – very Slughorn like!!!

Avatar Image says:

I see think Brian Blessed would have been an excellent Slughorn, but I suppose I could get used to Jim.

Awesome! I love him.

Avatar Image says:

I remember him from Only Fools and Horses. He was brilliant in that.

Avatar Image says:

Thats great,I loved him in “Moulin Rouge” he is a very stable acter I think he will do a awsome job.

Avatar Image says:

never heard of him b4 and i cant get the pictures to come up so I’ll just have to take your word for it… good luck jim. HPfreak

Avatar Image says:

from the article i could see the has the wit and charm (??) to portray old Sluggy =)

see and HBP will be out on November next year, strike or not!

Avatar Image says:

I agree with him- one does not have to be intellectual to be intelligent. The most intelligent people I’ve met have been people who didn’t do outstandingly well at school.

I love Jim Broadbent, I’m glad he got the role since he’s such a versatile actor.

Avatar Image says:

Great. Can’t wait for HBP. I think they start filming today. Just as long as they don’t cut much out, it will be fantastic.

Avatar Image says:

the ideal slughorn would have been Richard Griffiths, but given that he is already cast as vernon dursley that would have been impossible. Jim Broadbent is a great actor but he is just not right for this part.

Avatar Image says:

Prof. Slughorn is one of my favorite characters – he’s an interesting blend of comedy and tragedy in a sense. I have seen Jim Broadbent as Prof. Kirke in the Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, and he was excellent. I’m sure he’ll be a wonderful Slughorn!

Write a Reply or Comment