More on the Inferi and the Cave Scene from “Half-Blood Prince”

113

Sep 24, 2007

Posted by SueTLC
Uncategorized

Well it would seem that MTV pays attention to news on the Harry Potter sites, as the MTV movie blog has just now posted an excerpt from actor Dan Radcliffe who also discusses the army of the dead and the cave scenes in the upcoming Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. Echoing sentiments made by director David Yates (see this previous news post ), Dan Radcliffe is also quite keen on filming these dramatic scenes for the sixth Harry Potter film, noting:

I’m really looking forward to filming the cave and all the stuff in there with the lake and the Inferi’ Radcliffe enthused. “Me and [Michael] Gambon in a row boat for a few days. It’s gonna be amazing.”

Later, the Harry Potter actor speaks on how they will be filming the Inferi (aka dead corpses bewitched by the very dark magic of Lord Voldemort.) Dan Radcliffe says ” I thought it was all gonna be largely visual effects, but they have built the cave’ he revealed, confirming that the shoot will be all practical. “So it’s gonna be very interesting to film.”

Indeed! As noted earlier production on Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince is now underway with a release date set for November, 2008.

Thanks to Matt from HarryPotterFanZone for the heads up!

25 Responses to More on the Inferi and the Cave Scene from “Half-Blood Prince”

Avatar Image says:

2nd post! ANyway, that’s coooool…

Avatar Image says:

Awesome, I wonder since the cave will be real, if they will hire a bunch of extra’s to play the inferi?

Avatar Image says:

I bet the center of the cave and the ceiling will be practical, but the rest will be a digital matte painting extension.

Avatar Image says:

I think the inferi will be extras, real people, but the eyes or the make up will be digital

wow, MTV really knows their Potter

Avatar Image says:

It would be soooo much better if the Inferi were actors/extras and not CGI. Let’s ground this in reality!

The point should be strongly made that these are real dead people and not creatures/monsters, if they were CG it would take some of the danger away, they would be more like the Pirates of the Caribbean cursed pirates. I want it to be much more brutal than that! And I want REAL flames when Dumbledore casts them!!

Isn’t it amazing that they’ve already built the cave! They tend to do this, get the sets that are for the end of the movie ready at the beginning of production (like the maze in GoF which was the first thing they shot), because they need as much time as possible for the effects work.

Avatar Image says:

Not necessarily. If they do it anything like in LOTR when Frodo fell into that swamp, CG could pull it off. If they sue extras/real people, while it could be good, there is also the chance it could look like one of the Resident Evil movies, and THAT wouldn’t be good at all.

Avatar Image says:

Hey, I’m all for reality in film!

So, where are they going to get the real zombies? Don’t they have a union too? Some rule about the minimal length of time to be submerged, acceptable water temps, etc.? It must be tough to be dead and get good working conditions. SAG might take advantage of their nonalive state to require more working hours, but I’m sure the directors haven’t considered the amount of time it takes to dry out enough to be a mummified corpse for the next CSI episode… (note tongue firmly planted in cheek).

Avatar Image says:

Yeah I agree aughra the undead is EXTREMELY difficult to work with. They have attitudes and they always go on fits or depression “You don’t know what it’s like to be dead!!” yadda yadda. Either it be actors or CG anything will be better than the real deal. Plus they don’t really bathe themselves much and the whole smell of rotting corpse really is a downer on a film set ;)

Avatar Image says:

It’ll be CG, otherwise they wouldn’t be filming it this early on. Remember they always shoot the heavy CG bits first, it’s the lesson Columbus learnt on the first movie. Sure, there’ll be actors and all that but a full lake of dead people underwater who then get engulfed in fire needs some computer magic.

Avatar Image says:

I can’t wait to see the Cave scenes, I really hope they don’t mess ‘em up. Still no casting news, huh?!

Avatar Image says:

November of next year can’t come soon enough :)

Avatar Image says:

this is soo suspenseful- the save has been built!!! ahh!!! i can’t wait for the release..and pics and vids!

am i the only one who finds it hard to believe that we’re on movie 6 already? i felt the same way for 5…

Avatar Image says:

I cant wait for November I need it to be here!!!!

Avatar Image says:

they built the cave! score! sometimes i wish cgi had never been invented because i like the reality of actual sets, puppetry, etc.

Avatar Image says:

I just can’t wait to see Snape “murder” Dumbledore. That is going to be amagazing.

Avatar Image says:

oh so looking forward to HBP! especially the lightning struck tower chapter… the opportunity for Alan Rickman to show to perfection his Snape character. well, also the Dumbledore/Harry lessons… i’d like to see the chemistry brimming between the two, if that ain’t too much to ask. =)

Avatar Image says:

“Remember they always shoot the heavy CG bits first, it’s the lesson Columbus learnt on the first movie.”

What do you mean? Why do they have to do that ?

Avatar Image says:

I can’t wait to see a hand come out of the water, it’s going to be sooo creepy! Hopefully they have extremely suspenseful music! :) November 2008 needs to come faster!!! :D

Avatar Image says:

Andrew, they are better off filming the CGI-intensive bits first, as the post-production CGI, takes lots of time to produce, plus time for sound production and music score.

Film production has to operate under a tight schedule, so it’s better to do the most complex bits first, and the all-dialogue and close-up performances to later in the schedule.

Avatar Image says:

Realistically speaking, about a thousand Inferi extras would cost so much money. I fully expect the attack to have only around one hundred ‘human’ Inferi and the rest will be special effects to fill the background. OH MAN, I cant wait to get the pictures of the cave scene!!!!!

Avatar Image says:

I agree with Kerri. They’ll probably use a few extras multiple times.

But the question remains… What’s this thing gonna be rated?

OOTP was rated PG-13, and it was pretty scary. So, put HBP in perspective…

The prospects look grim.

Avatar Image says:

As well written and brilliant as it is the cave scene is the one I’m dreading the most in the film of HBP. It terrifies me (just like I hate the scene in Lord Of The Rings with the Dead Water Marshes). I hate the idea of dead or drowning people underwater, it’s like one of my phobias. When I read the book I was like “thanks JK, there’s a scene I’ll be watching through my fingers”, all my family and friends texted me when the book came out as they got to that chapter to tell me there was a chapter I was going to hate (even after I’d read the book).

Avatar Image says:

Awesome! I there will be more interviews with Dan soon, they are always very interesting and with lots of cool details!

Avatar Image says:

wow I cant wait to see the movie!!! I am so excited

Write a Reply or Comment