115

Sep 03, 2007

Posted by EdwardTLC
Uncategorized

Following on the heels of the German cover art we first showed you last month, the Dutch publishers of the Harry Potter novels have revealed the cover art for their edition of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. The image, which can be seen here in our Image Galleries thanks to PotterManiac, does contain slight book spoilers for readers who have not yet read the book.

On a related note, Gallimard, who publish the Harry Potter novels in France, released a promotional drawing of Harry Potter at the age of 17. You can see this image drawn by artist Jean-Claude Götting here courtesy of UHP.

44 Responses to Dutch “Deathly Hallows” Cover Art Released, French “Hallows” Promotional Image Shown

Avatar Image says:

It’s the Dutch one!!! Not Danish.

Avatar Image says:

Why would the Dutch publishers reveal the Danish cover?? lol!

anyway, I’m Dutch and I always love our coverart, but I’m not too excited about this one…it could have been better..oh well, still nice.

Avatar Image says:

Ohh nice cover art. Not exactly how I’d picture the dragon, but interesting that it’s the cover art.

Avatar Image says:

Dear Leaky… I suspect you’ve got your geography mixed up. That’s not the danish cover, that’s the dutch cover, and Denmark and the Netherlands are two completely different countries. :)

(And I’m fairly certain the danish editions aren’t published from abroad too…)

Moreteadk (currently rather amused)

Avatar Image says:

Hmm, I think it has to grow on me. Not as great as the other Dutch covers, but nice. And I like the little deer!

Avatar Image says:

Its not my favorite cover art…but the little stag is a cute touch!! i think it looks too fantasy-like, if that makes sense!

Avatar Image says:

I didn´t really get it either, did the Dutch have the Danish cover?... hah.. Now I get it, just as I thought my country wasn´t completely invisble..

Avatar Image says:

A lot of the fan art that is posted in the galleries would make a much better cover (and is probably done by more talented people who actually love the series).

The dragon looks like an iguana, and at least the artist should had drawn the trio jumping and not just the splash in the water.

Avatar Image says:

Ha, ha. Love the little splash under the dragon. Wonder which one of the trio that was!

Avatar Image says:

shut it axel! I’m sorry, but don’t insult the dutch covers. They are better than the american ones and defenitely more consistend. They’ve got great sense of detail and beautiful use of colour and they don’t spoil plotpoints. They never show the characters faces. That way more is left to you’re amagination. Don’t get me wrong, I like the U.S. and U.K. version as well, but they just aren’t really original. sorry mate, it’s the truth.

Avatar Image says:

@ Axel: The Dutch artist has never drawn someone’s face on the cover. We have to use our own imagination. :P

Avatar Image says:

redbeard, the UK/US not original? LOL FIrst, when I saw the shaky YouTube vid, I wasn’t very excited. But with the Hi-res image, i’m fairly pleased. I’m from the Netherlands myself, but this is my least favourite sadly :(

Avatar Image says:

I love the dutch / flemisch art! I prefer these ones over the US and UK versions. Altough I must admit that this particular one isn’t my favorite one.

Avatar Image says:

How many people have to point out that they got the covers source location wrong. I believe one comment regarding the matter is good enough.

Avatar Image says:

I’m not sure if it’s really less than the previous dutch covers. I think people just had very high hopes because it’s the last book. They can’t please everyone.

Avatar Image says:

I’ve always loved the Dutch cover art, and this one is no exception.

Avatar Image says:

I love the art of Jean-Claude Götting. Can you imagine having the original of that glorious art hanging in your home?? Ahhhh: love it.

Avatar Image says:

Hmmmmmm This seems like a half hearted attempt at a cover to me. Its easily the worst I have ever seen. Doesn’t JKR have any say at all on the overseas books? I mean common, an iguana and a splash. Embarrassing at best.

I have to agree with Axel, a lot of the cover art in our galleries are much better than this one. (even the one I made at mugglenet)

Don’t flame me for my opinion.

daniel

Avatar Image says:

I’m sorry, I don’t mean to offend anyone but though it’s well drawn, don’t you think it’s rather dull and ummm…irrevelant? Of all the things to choose from in the whole book, why did they have to take that? It took me a few seconds to realize just what scene it was and it’s true the dragon looks like an iguana. If I hadn’t seen Harry Potter written beneath the image, I would have thought it was something like “Jurassic Park the illustrated book”. :P Seriously, it’s true that the british and american covers contain spoilers but I think it’s much more gorgeous and impressive (particularly the american one), the kind of image that make your heart beat faster if you know what I mean. ;)

And please there’s no need to take offense that’s not an insult to the country after all. Where I live we get the french versions and I have no problem saying that so far they’ve been HORRIBLE. (shudder) I really hope the last one is better…

Avatar Image says:

Oh I was so busy checking the dutch cover that I forgot to have a look at Harry’s portrait. Silly me :P. On a more positive note, I really like that picture. I love his face, particularly his eyes. They seem to glow. :) And yes, Mrs. dMP, I defenitely wouldn’t mind having that picture on my bedroom wall. :P That reminded me that the french covers I found horrible were the old ones (SS, CoS and PoA). I suppose they chose another illustrator after that because even though I’m still not a big fan, they’s been a huge improvement between PoA and GoF.

Avatar Image says:

I wonder if that doe is the Dutch publisher’s logo (like Yearling, or Penguin)... or a patronus :)

Avatar Image says:

@remus Lonno It’s not a logo but every dutch HP cover features a magical beast between the JK and Rowling on the cover, on the spine after the title and a more detailed version inside on one of the title pages. They are in order: Hedwig, Aragog, Scabbers, Padfoot, Fawkes, Kreacher and Lily’s doe.

Avatar Image says:

Well I really like it. I especially love the fact they’ve got Snape’s patronus on there. Does anyone have a link to where I could see the other Dutch covers I’d be really interested to see them after seeing this one. BTW does the title translate back to English as ’...and the relics of the dead’? If that’s right does anyone agree that ’...and the relics of death’ would be better?

Avatar Image says:

And on www.harrypotter.nl you can see the other Dutch covers.

Avatar Image says:

The Dutch cover is kinda creepy…

Avatar Image says:

not quite a surprice Ien van Laanen, the artist who did all the Dutch HP covers, choose a dragon. Her themes has always been flight or a variation on it ( underwater in GoF and stairs in HBP). But the dragon is a bit on an odd angle not getting the most out of composition. I guess the rest of the dragon is on the back side of the cover. The plunshing moment is very well choosen, it is not a major moment in DH, but is is unique and is not a repeat of any moment occuring in the other books. The Silver Doe is most appropriate. As much as I love the Dutch covers.. and that has nothing to do with chauvinism, because I refuse to read the Duth translation, this one does not get as many housepoints in my book as I gave the HBP cover.

Avatar Image says:

yea it does look a bit weird!! very creepy!!

Avatar Image says:

Okay, when I’m wrong, Ill admit it. The other Dutch covers are freaking AWESOME. If you look at the DH cover within the range of the other covers, it makes total sense to use that image for the new cover. The OOTP dutch cover is amazing!!!!! And on www.harrypotter.nl you can see the other Dutch covers.

Avatar Image says:

Wow that Gillimard site is so cool, just wish my french was better _

Avatar Image says:

Hey, I don’t know why everybody seems to hate the new Eragon book cover.

Oh, wait a minute, it’s supposed to be “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows?” Oops, my mistake… :-)

Seriously, though – is it Lily’s patronus or Snape’s?

Avatar Image says:

The composition overall does strike me as a little strange – the contortion of the dragon – but I like the details like the splash at the bottom and that adorable doe!

Avatar Image says:

Thanks Vick, it’s a great touch, I think.

Karen, it does in fact translate as “the relics of death”. “Death” in Dutch is “De Dood” just like in Spanish it’s “La Muerte”

Avatar Image says:

Mark wrote: @ Karen: If you translate it literally it is indeed Harry Potter and the Relics of the Death, but that’s just because you can’t translate “Relics of Death” literally in Dutch. actually you can; it would become Relieken des Doods. but that would sound a bit like Joost van den Vondel had made the translation

Avatar Image says:

Yeah… well… I still like the new cover! (I feel so alone…sob)

Avatar Image says:

The dragon does have something creepy, but isn’t that as it should be? And as to the iguana likeness, I believe there is a reptile in Indonesia that has the word ‘dragon’ in its name, but I don’t remember what it’s called exactly, and whether that’s only in the Dutch name for it. Enough said for the defence.

My favorite Dutch covers are the ones for OOTP and HBP. Now I also realise that I find the background of the DH cover a bit dull, despite the plunge. And the colours are a bit bleak, there’s not much contrast. But still, it is so much better than f.i. the German cover. I like it that Ien van Lanen doesn’t show the faces. But I love the way Mary GrandPre portrays Harry when she is really painting his portrait, like on the cover of Time Magazine and DH. I certainly don’t like the way Harry looks on the UK cover of DH at all. IMO the best UK covers are those of GOF and OOTP.

Avatar Image says:

egh… i dont really like this one… the OotP one was better… i think the US edition of DH still has the best cover…

loved the drawing of harry!

<3padfootrocksmysocks

Avatar Image says:

Thank you Mark – I love all the Dutch covers, I think the art work is spectacular on them. In fact I wouldn’t mind a set of postcard sized images of them to put in a frame together – I shall investigate and see if such a thing is possible when I go to Holland next year on holiday!

Avatar Image says:

This Dutch cover sucks. The US version of DH is a lot better by far.

I have to say, however, that I really like the Dutch version of the HBP cover. It really relates more directly to the whole Half-Blood Prince storyline, which was the title after all, even though Horcruxes and Voldemort did take up pretty much the whole plot.

Avatar Image says:

my first reaction to Götting’s art is always not that good. Then i get use to it.

No Evy , Götting made the whole of them. though, yeah, his style somehow changed in OOTP.

Avatar Image says:

Okay, this one doesn’t rock like that of ootp. But it’s still beautiful. (I feel like such a patriot, defending my contries honor :)

Avatar Image says:

There are more difficult issues when it comes to defending our country, Redbeard. Luckily this isn’t a political website ;o) From the DH covers I have seen so far, the Dutch cover ranks second (the US cover on number 1). So, chin up, Redbeard, I may be a bit critical, but you’re not entirely alone in this, I’m backing our country too.

Avatar Image says:

omg the dragon and the doe… something different… i luv it! the blind eye and the patronus light catch my eye…

Avatar Image says:

btw, his version of Harry at 17… his expression seems kinda sad, IMO. like, that would be a visual of what he was feeling when the Resurrection Stone was just about to open at the close. :<

Avatar Image says:

I like it, but the other dutch covers are better. But i can’t wait to read it! I’m dutch =P

Write a Reply or Comment