Radcliffe on Reading “Deathly Hallows,” New “December Boys” Clips Online

271

Sep 07, 2007

Posted by EdwardTLC
Uncategorized

Actor Dan Radcliffe is the subject of a new interview from Collider.com, where he gives some of his opinions on the final book in author J. K. Rowling’s series, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. In this segment of a soon to be released complete interview, Mr. Radcliffe discusses his growing up with the character of Harry Potter and of his experience of reading the final book, saying in part:

Q: Can you talk about where you were reading the book and what you were experiencing as you were reading it?

Daniel: Totally. There’s a quote, I’m not going to take this interview down too pretentious a route though this next bit but there’s a quote from Chekhov when he wrote to the woman who was the final love of his life, who he later married and I think died with, not that she died but he was with her when he died, and he addresses a letter to her and he says, ˜Hello, the last page of my life.’ Which seemed very appropriate to me reading this book, because he has been such a part of my life now, I’ve been with him through all my teen years, and you were suddenly aware that ’ I started reading it, it was wow, this is the last time I will take a journey with this character, and it was quite a special moment, and actually while reading the final chapters I was listening to Sigur Ros which was very, very appropriate actually, it really, really was, God I’d love them to do a song for one of the films, they’d be absolutely fantastic.

Q: Were you thinking about it as you were reading it, oh my God this book is amazing, and it’s going to be such a good movie?

Daniel: I was thinking, how are we going to make it into a movie? It’s going to be tough, but that’s why someone cleverer than me adapts them. I think if we get it right, which I’m confident we will, it should be amazing.

The subject of filming the next Potter film, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, also was discussed in the interview. Radcliffe notes he is due to start filming in a matter of days and speaks briefly about the “Half-Blood Prince” script. When asked about the adaptation and possible cuts, he explains: “They have to. Obviously things have taken out, but everything that drives the story forward is very much in place.”

Parts of the interview do contain book spoilers, so readers who have not yet finished the book should be cautioned. An audio recording of the full interview is also available for download in MP3 format.

On a related note, seven new video clips from Dan’s upcoming film “December Boys” are also now available to watch via the Collider website. These clips include the trailer as well as six scenes from the film.

“December Boys” will be in select theaters in the US starting September 14th; a more complete list of cities showing the film in the coming weeks can be found on the official “December Boys” site .

Thanks very much to Steve for mailing!

10 Responses to Radcliffe on Reading “Deathly Hallows,” New “December Boys” Clips Online

Avatar Image says:

Awesome. This is the second time he’s mentioned listening to Sigur Ros while reading DH. I agree that a new Sigur Ros song would be a perfect fit for the “King’s Cross” scene, especially if it was written in their made up language.

I can’t wait to hear more about HBP now. We should have Hagrid’s hut pictures any day now. LoL.

Avatar Image says:

He speaks in RUN-ON SENTENCES.

He needs a new on-set tutor, methinks.

(You know I’m joking, don’t get your feathers all ruffled!)

Avatar Image says:

Yeah he does speak like a runaway train sometimes but thats his individual trait and all the more charming for it cos it reflects much enthusiasm and ambition for his work. I admire the way he has developed himself in the light of such world wide attention. Good on him and good luck on his new film.

Oh what the heck was he rambling about some Chekov? Who is he? Is he quoting classic literature, Deathly Hallows, or ahem…um Star Trek!

Avatar Image says:

You’d probably find a lot of people (me included) ‘sound’ like that when every word, ‘er’ and ‘um’ they say on the spur of the moment is written down in a transcript.

It’s especially appropriate that it’s when he’s talking about Chekhov, who was a pioneer of stream-of-consciousness writing!

Avatar Image says:

Chekov is a Russian author from the late 1800s

Avatar Image says:

CAN’T WAIT TO SEE DECEMBERBOYS!!!!!! :)

Avatar Image says:

When i was reading the book, I couldn’t help thinking the same thing he did about the movie. I was thinking how on earth they would pull it off without gutting it too much.

The wedding should be gone. All it did was provide info on Dumbledore’s sidestory. The MoM intrusion to get the locket could be avoided by having Kreacher have the locket but it would cut on the “dictatorial persecution” vibe that scene provided. Dobby hasn’t shown up since CoS, being replaced by Neville in GoF and ootP, and since the escape can be done without him and he’s not instrumental to the plot, he could get the axe, but then the movie would lose one of it’s most moving scenes…

I really don’t envy the Deathly Hallows scriptwriter. He’s got quite a task ahead of him.

Avatar Image says:

“I basically get the best of both worlds, because I get the scene of my demise and also I get to live on after that, which is any actors’ dream, you get to die and then you get more screen time, it’s fantastic.”

That’s a fantastic way of putting it. But I hope they get the death scene right. THat Christ metaphor has been whipped by so many movies already, it’s cliche. And people, Dan is a very well read young man whose list of reading materials goes beyond the HP books. CHeckov is a giant in world literature and only non literary people don’t know him.

Avatar Image says:

DAN RAD LISTENS TO SIGUR ROS??

I think I just died a little of happiness.

=)

Avatar Image says:

What an awesome interview! Dan is amazing, I’m so happy he plays our Harry. He is intelligent, articulate, well read… it’s a pleasure to read his interviews, that quote and story about that author was great, it resumes so well how all of us felt while reading the last HP book. :( And Sigur Ros for the movie: YES!!! fantastic idea!

Write a Reply or Comment