My Boy Jack to Air on PBS April 20

270

Jan 07, 2008

Posted by SueTLC
Uncategorized

My Boy Jack, the Dan Radcliffe (Harry Potter) television film recently broadcast in the UK, will be aired here in the US on PBS this spring. Masterpiece Classics has released their schedule (pdf here) for the early portion of the year, and “My Boy Jack” is set to air on the public television channel April 20. Also of interest on the schedule is “Cranford,” a mini series that stars Imelda Staunton (Professor Umbridge) and Michael Gambon (Professor Dumbledore) along with Dame Judi Dench. “Cranford,” which received much critical acclaim in the UK, is set to be broadcast on PBS May 4, 11, and 18th. You can learn more about this series via this link.

On a related note, the My Boy Jack DVD is now available for pre-order via our Cauldron Shop, as the DVD (already available in the UK) is set to be released here in the States on April 22. Finally, lucky residents of the UK can now purchase the “Ballet Shoes” DVD, starring Emma Watson and Richard Griffiths. Ballet Shoes was aired on the BBC over the Christmas holidays in the UK.

Thanks igo !

24 Responses to My Boy Jack to Air on PBS April 20

Avatar Image says:

I found My Boy Jack very moving with excellent performances all round. Very emotional story and well told. It brings home the horror of war and the misery of the families left at home. Likely to make you cry a bit but definitely worth watching and thinking about.

Avatar Image says:

Already pre-ordered. Nice addition to my expanding Daniel Radcliffe collection. Will definitely watch it on PBS first.

Avatar Image says:

I am so glad to see that “the Harry Potter” actors are making a “name for themselves outside of the Harry Potter world !

Avatar Image says:

Is that daniel radcliffe or Hitler?

Avatar Image says:

My Boy Jack was excellent. So moving and I really enjoyed it.

I have also used it with my year 9 (13/14 year olds) history class today and they were completely gripped to it.

Avatar Image says:

Why does Dan look like a young Hitler in that photo! Anyway, I wish Leaky could have reminded us as I plain forgot to watch it (no fault of leaky of course!). Hopefully I catch a repeat showing. I watched Ballet Shoes too and unfortunately I thought it lacking in spirit and worse it shied away from any ballet or singing on stage which was very disappointing. I was expecting a sort of Billy Elliot mix of drama and dancing. The 3 sisters performed well though (acting wise) and Emma was beautiful as her character demanded and im glad she is got a chance to do a non potter role. But the story was very dry and somewhat unengaging as a whole. Oh dear, I didnt mean post this to be negative, im usually more upbeat than this :(

Avatar Image says:

Sarah, glad I wasn’t the only one thinking that!

Avatar Image says:

Hurray for PBS: bringing quality British programming to the States (I won’t pay $20/mo extra for BBC America).

Avatar Image says:

Guys, that was just one of the styles of the day… I’m quite glad that style was villified, though… it’s horrendous! haha

Thank you PBS!

Avatar Image says:

And if you are a resident of Ontario Canada, you can watch My Boy Jack on TVO on January 20 at 9 p.m.

Avatar Image says:

I googled some other MBJ pics & only that one has that particular Hitler vibe. One problem is that it is a small pic, Dan is yelling in it as well so it is hard to see his manly, manly non-nazi stash.

Avatar Image says:

YAY!!!!!!! I love PBS for doing this.

Avatar Image says:

As someone from over here in the UK who’s already seen all of that, I can recommend everything that’s on that list! Cranford, particularly, was superb television and Sense & Sensibility, which has just aired episode 2/3 here, is shaping up very nicely too. I wasn’t sure about it before I watched it as I loved Alan Rickman in the Col. Brandon role in the film version, but it’s very good.

DR was good in My Boy Jack, and the story itself was very moving.

Avatar Image says:

Teenage officers in WWI were made to grow a moustache to make themselves look older.

Avatar Image says:

I too can recommend all of these.

I loved Cranford, especially Judi Dench and Michael Gambon, their characters’ relationship and Imelda Staunton. All actors were superb, except I found the young male lead a bit wooden. I loved the young boy, called Harry, and his relationship with the estate manager.

My Boy Jack is very moving and thought-provoking. I was awake for a long time after I watched it thinking of the heart-rending death scene. Dan acted it superbly, and also added humanity and humour to his part in the rest of the show so that you really did feel for him and his mother and sister after his death. All actors were excellent, esp Kim Cattrell.

Professor Potter. Dan looks like this because that’s how John Kipling really looked, if you look at photos of him in his army uniform. Teenage soldiers were made to grow moustaches to disguise their young age.

I also know what you mean about Ballet Shoes. I found the same. But I think it’s worth watching. I especially thought the two girls who played Petrova and Posy were excellent, very charismatic. Emma didn’t quite match up to them but was still pretty good.

Avatar Image says:

I enjoyed “Ballet Shoes” very much. I read the book years ago and fell in love with the Fossil sisters. It’s a really lovely story.

I think Emma, Yasmin Paige, and Lucy Boynton can be very proud of this film. The three Fossils, along with Emilia Fox and Victoria Wood, were wonderful.

The pressure on Emma to “succeed” in her first non-HP role must have been tremendous. Well, it’s Ok to breathe now Emma. You done well.

Avatar Image says:

Thank you PBS, thank you. You educated me in my youth with the best children’s program in the US, Sesame Street, and now you are bringing me the English movies I desperately want to see as an adult!

Ballet Shoes was wonderful, it was a cute story and the whole cast did a remarkable job. It is not an overly deep story, but I don’t think it is meant to be. Emma Watson did a fantastic job as Pauline and hopefully quieted the naysayers with her performance.

Avatar Image says:

Professor Potter In actual fact there was much more emphasis on acting in the book than dancing. I have already ordered the DVD of Ballet Shoes and look forward to viewing again and again. I first read this book when I was ten, many, many years ago and loved it, and have no quarrel with the BBC’s production. The focus was surely on the development of the three young girls and the sacrifices that had to be made all round in order to survive difficult financial circumstances yet still achieve a successful preparation for reasonable futures for all of them. The book was on familiar territory for anyone who grew up during WW11, rationing didn’t finally finish until 1953. “Make-do and mend” was a way of life.

Avatar Image says:

Sounds like everyone enjoyed Ballet Shoes more than I did and simply because I was terribly naive in my expectations of a xmas drama special with ballet numbers etc! I havent read the book so I think the title, synopsis and being xmas time resulted in my silly expectations on first viewing. Perhaps I will enjoy it more on second viewing (still have it recorded on my mediacentre). Tthere is no denying the lovely period setting which BBC productions like this never fail to deliver.

Avatar Image says:

first off, lol i think that his mustache in that pic is just more of a shadow, look up my boy jack on google or somethin and get some pics. i love war movies and i cant wait to see this in the us.

Avatar Image says:

I have to say My Boy Jack totally surprised me. With the credentials it had, I was expecting a good TV drama, but instead I saw a brilliant one! It captured the atmosphere of the era perfectly, and managed to portray the horrors of WWI through the tragedy of one family, which is no easy feat. Many films with 50 times the budget of My Boy Jack have failed. Of course it always helps when a film is aided by great actors delivering fantastic performances, and this had four of them: I think David Haig, Dan, Kim Catrall and Carey Mulligan were all brilliant.

What really surprised me about Dan’s performance was how he completely inhabited the body of an adult. Even though his character is 18, men really were considered adults at that age back then, and Dan portrays his character as such: he has the anxiety and explosiveness of youth, but any traces of teenage awkwardness and ‘cuteness’ are gone. Which is astonishing considering that Dan still has these traits in real life. Just check out the scene where Jack asks his father to write a permission for him to go to battle. Great stuff.

Thanx PBS!! You Rock! lol

Avatar Image says:

My Boy Jack received much critical acclaim too. I remember how next day after it aired everyone was talking about how good it was, the ratings were very very good, so a lot of people watched it, and next day everyone was talking about it. Also, it is included in all the “best tv things of the year” lists. So I suggest everyone in America to watch it, because it’s a wonderful film and the acting is brilliant. Daniel Radcliffe really impressed me. So I’m sure you all will love it.

Write a Reply or Comment