Helen McCrory to begin Filming Role as Narcissa Malfoy in “Half-Blood Prince”

117

Jan 08, 2008

Posted by SueTLC
Uncategorized

The Independent has a new feature online today with actress Helen McCrory who mentions very briefly about beginning her work as Narcissa Malfoy in the upcoming Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. The paper notes her filming for this is about to start shortly, with the actress saying:

“I’m looking forward to it. It’s unusual to have such a successful film only starring British actors. I have really started to enjoy the craft of film acting. I do a lot more film and television now than theatre. The difference between screen and stage is that in theatre it’s tangible whether someone can act or not. I’ve worked with people, who will remain nameless, where a film scene has had to be cobbled together from a whole day’s worth of takes because the actor is []. They can’t remember the lines; if they do remember the lines, they can’t remember the moves. In the final project, they will look great, because the director will cut the film for them. In theatre, you can’t employ someone who can’t remember their bloody lines. That’s the difference,” she says.

Originally cast in the part of Bellatrix Lestrange, readers will recall that Helen McCrory had to drop out of Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix due to her pregnancy, and has now taken the part of Narcissa, the sister of Bellatrix. Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince is due in theaters November 21, 2008.

84 Responses to Helen McCrory to begin Filming Role as Narcissa Malfoy in “Half-Blood Prince”

Avatar Image says:

I really hope she will have blonde hair in the movie.

Avatar Image says:

I hope she has blonde hair too. From the pic, she looks nothing like I had imagined for Narcissa.

Avatar Image says:

when do you guys think we will see another picture from HBP?

Avatar Image says:

MUHAHAHA, several OotP pictures were released 11 months before the film was released. So it’s possible that we could see some images by the end of the month. We will probably see a teaser trailer by March as well.

Avatar Image says:

Well she certainly sounds full of herself. Hopefully that’ll be a good thing, considering the character is named “Narcissa”

Avatar Image says:

She looks too ‘hard’ to be Narcissa. . .I’m sure, though that the makeup/design artists will do their jobs well.

Avatar Image says:

I wouldn’t worry about the hair. I am sure Jason Isaacs will be happy to loan her his wig. LOL I am just impressed by how much she looks like Helena Bonham Carter. They will be great counterpoints to each other.

Avatar Image says:

You guys are stupid that are complaining about her not having blond hair or blue eyes, do you think that all the HP actors look like there initial charc? of course not! stop saying you hope she has blonde hair, of course she will, its called going into the makeup and wig department of the set. She will look marvelous wait and see, some of you just dont have any patience and ya speak before you know.

Avatar Image says:

her hair has to be longer than her husbands you know – I couldn’t tell if you were joking or not.

Avatar Image says:

Eh., for all we know they will just thro Jason’s wig on her and begin filming, lol.

Avatar Image says:

Yeah her hair will definitely be blonde. However, I’m really sorry, but I can’t help but being totally disappointed in this casting choice. I just don’t think any amount of movie magic will make her anything like the Narcissa I imagined, who was quite hot lol, very Nicole Kidman-esque. Sigh, I guess we shall see.

Avatar Image says:

I agreee with BellaSnape!

Just look at Alan Rickam – have you seen him in real life?! He looks NOTHING, and I mean nothing like Snape, and still he’s perfect! Also, Jason Isaacs has a wig so I’m sure she will have one also. I like that they will look alike with Helena.

Avatar Image says:

I’m looking forward to seeing how they make her look, whether it turns out good or bad … lets hope its the former. :P

Avatar Image says:

She’s absolutely right about actors! I know several editors and one of my friends was showing me how he cut together a scene using different takes to make it magically look like the guy can act! He actually complains a lot about bad actors. It made me laugh to hear her talk about that. So true!!

Avatar Image says:

I’m just sad that she’s not playing Bellatrix, because she was exactly how I pictured Bellatrix. I was so excited when they had announced her initial casting.

I did, however, like Helena Bonham Carter for Merope Gaunt. C’est la vie. I had a feeling that they’d get Alan Rickman for Snape when I first heard they were going to make the films… he can act the personality, but I still don’t think he has the look. I still love it though.

Avatar Image says:

Ugh! Who does she think that she is? A real Malfoy! She looks like she should be playing Mrs. Black, Sirius’ mum. A hard looking thing she is too, not at all delicate & Narcissa like, snobby looking yes but as for the rest no way. And if they can’t get the ” look” of the actress right they sure had better get the hair right. Tom Felton looks more feminine than she does and for that matter so does Jason Isaacs. THis is one of thos e ‘What were they thinking kind of things. Maybe they are running out of British Actress’ . Gwyneth Paltrow or Cate Blanchette would have beena far better choice for Narcissa. Just my thoughts…

Avatar Image says:

Sad thing is, there are lots and lots of great British actors out there that could do the job, but the sad fact is: It’s not what you know, it’s who you know!

Avatar Image says:

After a trip to the wig and make-up departments for the essentials (white blond wig and blue contacts) ... I think that Helen’s Sissy will make a wonderful visual counterpoint to to Helena’s Bella. They are remarkably similar in height, bone structure and general physic … as specified in the books … Narcissa is as fair as her sister is dark. I can’t wait to see the pictures!

Avatar Image says:

She is a super fine actress and will do a great job.

Avatar Image says:

I think that she may be good at narcissa if she has the blond hair, and can actualy act the part unlike the girl they got to play mrs. fig!!!!!! She acced all wrong in the role and they left out mugundas flercher in the sceen to!!!!! Why cant these peolple get the movies to almost match the books?Even though the fith movie was way bettter than that they did in the fourth!!!!!!!

Avatar Image says:

ROFLMAO! Yep, most of you have it right. “Hair and Makeup” are the actor’s friend. You would think that Jason Issac’s really DOES have ‘Blonde hair’ LOL! Too cool. Well, MY original “vision”, for Narcissa, was Angelica Huston…until I found out it was an “all British cast” I mirror Margoooo. C’est la vie! It is wonderful that she, and Helena Bonham Carter look so much alike. They could be sisters! LOL, LOL!!!

Avatar Image says:

lena, maybe you ought to say the actors cast don’t give the performance that you imagined in your mind—which is completely valid. however, every single reader probably had a totally different “actor” in their imaginations when doing their virgin read of the novels… for instance, i thought mrs. figg was excellent in the film. everyone has different interpretations, and yours is as valid as anyone’s, but don’t knock the actors for not matching was you had in mind 100%.

Avatar Image says:

She does sound a little cranky, doesn’t she? Perhaps she should be a bit more guarded in her next interview…

While I haven’t seen any of her work, I trust that she had been chosen for the right reasons and will do well in the role.

Avatar Image says:

She is brilliant! She’s a great actress. I’m really looking forward to see her as Cissy.

Avatar Image says:

Gwyneth Paltrow is not British. She’s American.

Avatar Image says:

HAHAHA she sounds like a proper malfoy that’s for sure

Avatar Image says:

Tinney what Threequidd was meaning was while Gwyneth is American and Cate is Australian they both have used British accents in the past and could play the role.

Helen is a really good actress and we should give her a chance. If she’s not good well then sh*t happens.

Avatar Image says:

Helen McCrory does look hard in that picture, but that’s because she was playing a hard and heartless character … Barbara Villiers, the mistress of Charles II. For those who doubt she can be more softly sinister, check out her performance as Valentina Villefort in The Count of Monte Cristo. She was also strikingly beautiful as Anna Karenina. I think she’s a great choice, and once she is ensconced in the appropriate blone brilliance, she will beome the quintessential Narcissa.

Avatar Image says:

Yeah I hope she has blonde Hair in the movie too! she looks nothing like I imagined :( I`ve known this site for a pretty long time, but I have never commented before so Hello everyone, I`m a huge emma fan and this fansite for hp rocks! ;)

Avatar Image says:

She’ll be great as Narcissa Malfoy, and ofcourse she’ll have a blond hair…they have to be truthful to the books. And Helena Bonham Carter is perfect as Bellatrix… just a little bit too sexy

Avatar Image says:

Agree abt the hair. I guess it was the first thing everyone noticed when saw the pic. She is more like Bellatrix for me.

I always imagined Narcissa as a better version of ant Petunia…

Avatar Image says:

thank you pixie for clearing that little misunderstanding up! she is in a play in this picture as “pixie” noted, so of course she doesnt look like that all the time – plus I think we have all seen that look on Draco’s face before! LOL plus she has a much prettier and soft facade in the movies count of monte cristo, the queen and casonova.

Avatar Image says:

Does that mean they’re filming the Spinner’s End scene? Isn’t Helena Bonham Carter pregnant at the moment? That could make for some tricky camera work!

Avatar Image says:

My two cents. I also thought the actress who played Mrs. Figg did a fine job. I have no problem picturing Helen as Mrs Malfoy. I would expect Draco’s mother and Lucius’ wife to be a tad on the ‘hard’ side. Fit her with a blonde wig and she’s perfect.

Avatar Image says:

If you do a Yahoo search for her, there are several pictures where she comes across as soft and almost playful. I think the situation makes the “look” for her.

Avatar Image says:

i think she definately looks the part of bella more but…....im confident that she’ll make a god cissy (better then whoever the heck plays dumbledore now, no offense but im glad hes dying in this book because i CANNOT stand the actor who plays him….....i really prefer the books MUCH MORE then the movies)

Avatar Image says:

i agree with e_foo (neat name by the way….haha) i really dont like the actor who plays dumbledore, atleast he doesnt act like dumbledore, he was quite violent in the 4th movie (grabbing harry by his collar asking him whether or not he entered the TWT)

and i think helen will be able to pull the roll of as narcissa nicely, but i guess we’ll just have to wait and see

Avatar Image says:

Just to let you know Helena and Tim had their 2nd child a baby girl on december 15th, rumer has it her name is Indiana Rose but that is not a confirmed piece of info.

Avatar Image says:

I’m very excited for the release of HBP and I’m sure Helen will rise to the challenge and make us all proud

xoxo
    Misty
Avatar Image says:

i dont think that helen should’ve been casted for narcissa, its unfortunate that she had a baby at the time, it should’ve waited a while, lol so she could be bellatrix. she looks much more like my bella then my cissy

Avatar Image says:

P.S the actor who played Dumbledore in the first two movie was Richard Harris , he passed away from hodgkins disease, the current Dumbledore is played by Michael Gambon, lets face it , replacing someone is a hard thing to do because people already have expectations.

Avatar Image says:

Huh. I don’t really like her attitude. Seems a little uppity about being an actress, eh? Well, I guess when you’re offered a big once-in-a-lifetime job you could get pigheaded. Haha that means she’ll be perfect for Narcissa!

Annnd I dunno, I believe acting on the stage is much more rewarding- it’s all part of the experience of learning what to do and not to do when preparing for a show (and when actually performing)! :) I guess I can understand because in films if you make a mistake you can do it over again. But eh, mistakes are what make theatre fun!

Avatar Image says:

I think she could look a lot like Narcissa Malfoy. I think she would be pretty but still have a hard edge to her looks. Someone, I forgot to notice who it is, sorry, has posted a photo manipulation, in the Leaky Fan Art Gallery, of Helen McCrory as a blue eyed blond She fits the way I have always pictured her. Here is where you can find the picture http://fanart.the-leaky-cauldron.org/picture/view/4429

Kay

Avatar Image says:

Am just re-reading the books, and I was laughing when I read the part about DD asking Harry if he put his name in the cup, because in the book, the exact wording is:

“Did you put your name in the cup?” Dumbledore asked calmly.

Anyway, not sure if that is the exact exact wording, but it definitely he says he asked “calmly”. So funny how they translated that to the film, where DD practlcally molests Harry while asking him the question.

But really, re-reading the books is just making me appreciate the impossibility of the movies ever being close to as good as the books. The books just have so many sub-plots that are SO satisfying to read, and as I’m watching the movies and seeing these sub-plots completely missing, I’m thinking “NOOOOO!!!”. But the movies will always be sort of pale cliffs-notes imitations of the books. Oh well, I still enjoy them for what they are. The special effects and production design are inspired though, I will definitely give them that.

As for the actress playing Narcissa, I don’t really have an opinion on that. I’m sure she is a super talented actress, as are the entire cast of the films.

Avatar Image says:

I don’t know. I was a little disappointed when I saw that they casted her as Narcissa. I’ve never seen her work in films or plays or whatever type of thing she does, but from what people say, she’s good, I guess? As long as she’s REALLY, I mean REALLY, good, I’ll be satisfied. But not all that satisfied, seeing that her hair is not blonde. I don`t know, it just annoys me that she was once casted for Bellatrix. She has that sort of dark tinge to her facial expressions, & I think Narcissa would have a softer and timid one. Blah! But whatever, we’ll just have to see. & I agree, she did seem a little uppity in that interview. Sigh

Avatar Image says:

Boo. The woman got knocked up and they held any old female role for her. Not what I call a wise casting choice.

Avatar Image says:

I agree with Amy S “I can’t help but being totally disappointed in this casting choice. I just don’t think any amount of movie magic will make her anything like the Narcissa I imagined, who was quite hot …” She is a fine actress I’m sure but nothing how I imagined Narcissa. I guess we’ll have to wait and see how it all turns out.

Avatar Image says:

i have seen movies from this actres and i like her…. she will do it great …........’cause the cast of HP is used to select good actors for these movies…....... i’ll give her a chance and wait to watch this her…..

Avatar Image says:

for those of you complaining about her not having that look about her and that no magic will make her look like Narcissa, then you are not a true movie or Harry potter fan and your also a hypocrite, because you sound uppitty about yourselves as well ” like I got to have it my way or the Highway,” trust me since we are on the subject of Narcissa there is quite alot of narcissism on this chat board.

Avatar Image says:

remember tonks and the purple hair (i was devistated for the reason they gave out, as if the fans are idiots and we are going to link tonks with umbridge) i don’t know maybe they will make her red haired because maybe fans will be confused with her husband. i hate it when they change how the charcters look.

Avatar Image says:

Wow you are all a hard bunch, now think about it. Everyone is saying she was being uppity and whatnot in that interview, ever wonder why they call it acting? Do you think that everyone in the movies acts like that in real life? From what I’ve heard she is a fine actor and how someone is in real life shouldn’t (maybe I’m wrong) reflect how they act in a movie as a totally different character, although many thinks she acts how Narcissa would. And as for the appearance I’m sure there’s no such thing as make-up, wigs(yes I know other people have mentioned them), or even computer graphics. Do you think Ralph Fiennes really doesn’t have a nose? And as for the people whining how she doesn’t look like how YOU pictured her, holy crap what were the chances? I know me posting won’t actually stop people from saying stuff like this but please atleast consider someone’s talent OVER their physical appearance, especially when it can be altered, more so in a movie.

Avatar Image says:

Andrew, you crack me up!!! Apparently you did not hear that Ralph Fiennes, in order to portray Voldemort realistically, actually consented to plastic surgery. I think it was a bad move, personally, but he was engaged in an infantile contest with the guy who plays Kreacher. [wink, wink, nudge, nudge] I quite agree with you. Most people here really need to chill out a little. I do like how foose3 put it: “my cissy” and “my bella”. Shows ownership of one’s concepts without demanding everyone else adhere to them.

The Phelps twins do not have ginger hair. Robbie Coltrane is not really seven feet tall. Jason Isaacs is not a platinum blonde. I think we’ll be fine with how Cissy turns out.

I also enjoyed Mrs Figg immensely, although I would have heartily approved of seeing her drop a couple of cans of cat food in the tunnel.

Avatar Image says:

Well, I’d rather her acting was good and the costume sucked than the other way around. A good actor can make you believe anything. Look at all the women who play Hamlet!

Avatar Image says:

I applaud you Andrew and ginerva you guys got heart and took the words right out of my mouth, that is what I have been trying to get across this whole time people just need to give her a chance and ” see past the end of their nose” , thanks a million , have patience and she will turn out as Narcissa in no time.

Avatar Image says:

P.S. Helena had her baby (a daughter) in December…so it’s plausible that they will begin filming the Spinner’s End scene…

Avatar Image says:

She is an excellent actress, I’m looking forward to her performance. Its interesting but one feature that distinguish many english actors from american is that they have done more stage work. It makes them better at their craft in my opinion.

Avatar Image says:

If everyone will stop carping about Helen’s looks and watch her performance in “The Queen” as Prime Minister Tony Blair’s wife, they will see a wonderful actress with a mischievous sense of humor who will bring a great deal to this role. And as a new mother, she will endow that moment of the Unbreakable Vow with a heartfelt intensity that would even give our fave mom, Molly Weasley, a run for the money!

Avatar Image says:

i always pictured her with lond straight blonde hair some one said Nichole kidman i think she wouldve been PERFECT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! =(

Avatar Image says:

OMG why in the WORLD would they pick Gwyneth paltrow or cate blanchett for Cissy? both of these girls are too kind looking to even remotely resemble the cissy that would have been hot had it not been for her continued expression of ‘smelling smth nasty right under her nose’. nah,....they’re way too innocent looking to play cissy. i think Helen McCrory is fine, so long as they get the hair right please…..it would be odd if she had dark hair. then they can rightfully do a scene where harry questions Cissy’s loyalty towards her husband. llol…

Avatar Image says:

i like this pic better than the one leaky uses, it does her more justice i think.

Avatar Image says:

I imagined Narcissa exactly like that. Her face was a bit snobby.

Avatar Image says:

Hmm…so, Rickman begins filming very soon and McCrory is going to film very soon. That means that Spinner’s End FABULOUS scene is about to be filmed shortly! And Carter mentioned that her scenes are in February so that means that they’ll film it very close…

Another interesting thing is Helen McCrory’s look…She doesn’t look like Narcissa Malfoy as I imagined but with a blonde long wig, make-up meking her pale and a long black cloak, she will be good…

Oh, how much I love Kate Blanchette! I wanted her for the part soooooo much!

Avatar Image says:

God, some of you people are really cool, she’s meant to be a fantastic actress and we only see Narcissa in one scene anyway, I’m telling ya shes gonna do a great job, relax you freaks

Avatar Image says:

HaHa, I meant cruel by the way not ‘cool’!

Avatar Image says:

I think the photo in LC actually does show how very well she will portray the mixed emotions and determination to protect her family, which is at the heart of Narcissa’s character in books 6 and 7. She is a fine actress -and like the rest -I am positive there will be no complaints come November.

Avatar Image says:

I am very dissappointed in the choice for Narcissa in Half Blood Prince. I go very much by cannon, and the Malfoys are supposed to be blonde. I hope she wears a blonde wig in the movie, or I,ll be very disappointed, since she is nothing like I picture Narcissa, and the Malfoys are always blonde, just as the waelseys always have red hair ( I am also blonde!)

Avatar Image says:

“If everyone will stop carping about Helen’s looks and watch her performance in “The Queen” as Prime Minister Tony Blair’s wife,”

Oh thanks so much for reminding me of why I loathe her so much. I couldn’t quite place that face, turned her off in my brain I surmise, because I HATED her in the Queen, She really ticked me off. Thanks for clearing that up. I love Tony Blair and to think that he was married to a harpy shrew… well it now clears up why she was chos en. She has played the obnoxious snot of a wife before.

Avatar Image says:

Let’s be fair about the interview, we don’t know the full context surrounding what was quoted here. It didn’t sound remotely snobby to me at all – just an honest observation from her work in both film and theatre.

I’m sure we’ve all worked someplace where there was someone who didn’t do their job and others had to work harder to pick up the slack, but that person still came out looking good because the job got done – even though it was due to other people’s hard work. It happens in every career field, even acting. And to point out that it happens doesn’t make someone full of themselves.

About Helen McCrory’s look… A lot of people have commented that there will of course be wigs and makeup, there will be lighting, and costume. Some have mentioned that she is a great actress and will play the role brilliantly.

But no one has mentioned how much an actor can change the way they look (without wigs and makeup) just by how they hold their face and use their body. It’s really remarkable. I have an acting teacher (beat out Patrick Stewart for Best Actor a few years back) who was cast as Richard Nixon. Looking at him in real life you would never think of him as even close to looking like Nixon. Not at all. I was kind of surprised he was cast in that role, actually. And then in class – without the help of lighting, wigs, makeup, or costume – he did a bit of Nixon for us. It was AMAZING! He looked just like Nixon!!! There was no doubt. I was surprised and humbled. It was all done with face and body and acting. I learned so much that day.

I recently did a two-actor version of The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe – and I played all the female roles. I switched constantly between Lucy and the White Witch – no costume change, no make up change – they were instant transformations using only my body and face. No one ever confused Lucy and the Witch even just by looks – without having to hear me speak. How I held my mouth, cheeks, eyes, eyebrows, etc.

In another show I had to age from 15 to 45 in the course of the play. We didn’t do tons of hair or makeup changes, it was really just how I held my face and used my body.

So though I know so many of you are disappointed by the casting choice of Helen McCrory for Narcissa – just know there is a lot more an actor can do about their looks than just wigs and makeup. So far the casting for the HP films has been very good.

Keep in mind, too, that the photos out there on the internet of Helen are primarily of her in other roles, so she is embodying the spirits of those characters which are not Narcissa. So though she may have a harsh edge in those photos, doesn’t mean she’ll have that same edge in HP.

Try not to get too worked up over this before we really know anything. Most people have even said they’ve never seen her act. It is impossible to judge how she will be as Narcissa at this point. It just seems like everyone is going to be looking for her to be bad, waiting for her to make a mistake, or not be the absolute perfect Narcissa as everyone envisioned her. How can anyone possibly live up to such expectations. It’s not quite fair, is it? We’re lucky we’re not under that kind of pressure in our jobs.

Avatar Image says:

well said BellaSword, people need to get past there own ideas and accept that there will be makeup and wigs and she will not always turn out to be exactly what you had in your thick heads! saying things like ” she doesnt have blonde hair or she looks to harsh,” sound really stupid, likes been said a million times makeup and wigs and I dont ever recall jo describing her to have this utterly pleasant composition, yes concerned and motherly but not sweet, so its a good thing Helen looks harsh that is how all the malfoys look , I said it earlier I think we have all seen that look on Dracos face before.

Avatar Image says:

I really hope she plays her role well. I didn’t like Helena as Bella at all. I thought her face was much more Merope than Bella. Let’s see what the movie will bring, huh?

Avatar Image says:

She looks absolutely nothing like the Narcissa as I imagined. Wheter she is a great actress or not, she still is rather too ugly & lined, and has the wrong hair colour to play Narcissa.

Avatar Image says:

well then Lb! your ugly – that is the rudest thing I have ever heard anybody say and that is not just you that goes for anyone who has called Helen “ugly” or too old , for gods sake shut up, you nit wits! she is beautiful and we already explained that the pic above is from a play where she is playing a harsh character from the earlier centuriesand may I please note that she is only 39 . AND PLEASE stop saying she has the wrong color hair to be Narcissa , Jason has got dark brown and I mean dark brown hair as well and we all love him as Lucius, I think you all that are complaining are crybabies because she’s “not what I had in my head!” boofrickedy hoo! get over your selves, some of you make me want to puke. And Helena by the way did and excellent job as Bellatrix the only problem there was her very small screen apperance.

Bring Naomi Watts!

PLEASE!

Avatar Image says:

” when you wish upon a star, makes no difference who you are anything your heart desires will not come to you” wish all you want whats done is done we will like her WAIT and SEE

P.S Im warning you Im a stubborn a** and Im about as bonkers as Bella and have about as much mercy as Snape. BEWARE! boo! hiss! “maybe some of you feel confident enough to NOT PAY ATTENTION!

Avatar Image says:

wow no posting for over 4hrs glad to know I shut every complainer up – see stubborness pays off in the end- EAREAR’ ! Now lets just hope that the next time we hear from her there is a picture of her as Cissy to go along with the article, to finally prove the point of what many of us have said – that she can indeed pull this off like a son of a gun!!

Avatar Image says:

I trust everyone at Leavesden enough that I know they will get the look right, but as for the acting, I cannot say because I have nothing to judge Helen with. I will wait, with all other HP fanatics, for November to make a final judgement on her Narcissa.

My Narcissa is quite beautiful, but still ugly in her own right. She is snobby and thinks very highly of herself and her family, but she has a heart. That is Narcissa’s character trait. She can love, and not how Bellatrix loves. Bellatrix loves only Voldemort, which to me, symbolizes her love for evil. Narcissa loves her family, which make her love good and pure. We see how much her family means to her in DH, she risked death by lying to Voldemort just to see if Draco was ok. She is an evil woman with a good heart, if that makes sense.

I must say that I am quite happy she wasn’t able to play Bella, and I do not say that to be mean. I’m saying that because I loved Helena’s Bella! Just brilliant!

I do agree that Helen comes off as fool of herself. I think she needs to learn how to interviewed graciously because words cannot provide a tone. Her words were mean, but her tone could change that easily, so I will give her the benefit of a doubt.

Avatar Image says:

Well, said, BellaSword. Thanks for an actor’s perspective on how much bodywork (as opposed to wigs, makeup, and wardrobe) goes into creating a character.

I wish people would stop bashing McCrory for her comments on film acting. I personally found it charming. A dedicated actor often comes across as irascible when describing those less talented or less devoted to the craft. She reminds me of Richard Griffiths and his legendary hatred of cell phones in the theater. This also reminds me of when Jo was driven to say at a Canadian press conference (which was supposed to be about an environmental award but was turned into a vicious attack on Jo’s portrayal of Dumbledore-BUT I DIGRESS), “They’re my characters.” She sounded more than a little defensive and her attitude bordered on “up yours”. And I say, good for her! Sometimes we can’t, and shouldn’t, sugar-coat our opinions. And I admire people who don’t do it and have the nerve to speak plainly.

Sorry, rant over

Avatar Image says:

Lily Snape you said your blonde yourself? I would go around admitting that to people a whole lot or bragging about it – smartest to dumbest by hair color- 1. brunette 2. black hair 3. red heads 4. blondes, sorry that is how society dubs the hair rainbow. ( this is just a joke – please dont take it siriusly)

Avatar Image says:

I think Miranda Richardson’s (Madam Rosemerta) sister would have been a better choice for Narcissa (Princess Anna in King Ralph). Also, Narcissa isn’t supposed to look like Bellatrix. It’s the younger sister, Tonks’ mother, who looks like Bellatrix. Bad choice.

Avatar Image says:

OK, splatfest, that makes another good point Miranda Richardson who actually played Rita Skeeter – has pure Red Hair and it was bleach blonde, and her sister is not Jodie Foster who played Anna in Anna and the King, just for your info. See you all are taking too much for granted by how she looks- do you even know what can be done with movie makeup and wigs – my God look at Alan Rickman and Jason Issacs! That is why there is an Oscar section for makeup because they can turn someone who looks nothing like they’re supposed to into what they are supposed to look like.

Avatar Image says:

Helena Bonham Carter always was the perfect choice for Bellatrix. I can’t imagine anyone else fitting the character more perfectly, heavy-lidded, dark and yet mysteriously attractive. Helen McCrory, the great actress she is, is not a great choice for either Bellatrix or Narcissa. I like the idea of McCrory playing Merope Gaunt.

Avatar Image says:

Why do they have to try so hard with make up, wigs, change of temperment to force someone to fit a part. If that is the case then there were a hundred other kids that could have played Harry. Looking the part is a bigger ingredient in the Harry Potter films than you all admitting here. I also think Helena Bonham-Carter was perfect for Bellatrix, physically (she didn’t even have to wear a wig) and tempermentally. She was a natural fit. As for Jason Isaacs and Alan Rickman, they had perfect temperments to play the parts they’re in. Helen McCrory is great but in a stiff sort of way to me and looks older than Helena Bonham-Carter even with wigs and makeup. It is supposed to be the reverse. JMO (just my opinion).

Avatar Image says:

But that is just this one picture if you see other pictures of her she looks much younger, good lord people I feel like Im going in circles, just shut up and deal with it, she will be great, no one In this world likes selfish box minded complainers!

Avatar Image says:

I started reading comments for the heck of it and I can’t believe what some of you people are saying. Personally I’ve never seen this actress in anything but judging by the overwhelming TALENT in these films, I don’t think we’ll be disappointed. It doesn’t matter what they’re wearing, the makeup crew is very good at what they do.

Because of the HP films, I started branching out and renting movies from only those actors (Alan Rickman, Jason Isaacs, in particular) and low and behold, there’s a whole lot to be said about using only English actors and actresses in the films. With the exception of a very few, I don’t really enjoy American actors/actresses anymore.

All it comes down to is this: I am so happy they are including the Spinner’s End scene. It would have been downright disrespectful (to the books) to omit it. And while I’m thinking on it, if you look at that pic, can’t you see someone who might be good looking if it didn’t appear that she was smelling something foul (or however it’s worded, I’m too lazy to look it up)

Write a Reply or Comment