J.K. Rowling to be Honored by South Bank Show Awards?

Jan 10, 2008

Posted by SueTLC
Uncategorized

There is a new report online tonight claiming that J.K. Rowling is to receive a special honor at the upcoming South Bank Show Awards. Richard Kay, columnist for The Daily Mail writes that the Harry Potter author is “due to receive an award for outstanding achievement” at the 12th annual South Bank Show Awards. He continues “But who has been asked to honour Miss Rowling? Step forward Madonna. The hyperactive warbler is a Potter fan, as is her 11-year-old daughter Lourdes. So both have been asked to come on stage and present the award to Miss Rowling.”

While this would no doubt be quite an event, we are trying to find out more about this and will update when we can. The South Bank Show Awards will be presented at the Dorchester Hotel in London, England on January 29th, then later broadcast on UK channel ITV Sunday, February 3rd.

27 Responses to J.K. Rowling to be Honored by South Bank Show Awards?

Avatar Image says:

Yupi! New awards for J.K.

Avatar Image says:

ahhhh awards are always fun for our favorite jo!

Avatar Image says:

congratulations jo! you really deserve it.

Avatar Image says:

The most brilliant women on the planet deserves every award she can get. But I think the bigest award she can get is our suport! We’re waiting for some new books from you Jo! Congrats

Avatar Image says:

Maddy and J.K. Rowling together? That’s heaven for me. I love those two women. I really hope this is true.

Avatar Image says:

Can’t stand Madonna, but JK deserves it (of course!)

Avatar Image says:

Hmmm… this sounds faketacular. I’ll wait for a better source, but if true, cool!

This is so old. Madonna isn’t Brittish. Why does she persist so? :/

Avatar Image says:

‘hyperactive warbler” How rude.

I’m with Brenda. Two of my favourite stars. This is excellent for Jo.

And TAD where in the article does it say Madonna is trying to be British. That line is old. She lives in Britain. I wish people would get over this whole accent thing. She does not sound British at all. Of course if you live in another country where you weren’t born your accent is bound to change over time.

Avatar Image says:

The Daily Mail… Harry Potter… Madonna & Lourdes? Oy, major deja vu going on here. Will wait for a better source but interesting nonetheless.

Avatar Image says:

Blech, I can’t stand Madonna, either. She hunts (or she used to, anyway), wears fur, and uses offensive tactics to get attention and to promote her album. About the only decent thing she’s done is adopt a child, and she supposedly does some humanitarian work in Africa, which is good, even if her intentions aren’t sincere. Yes, after living in a country for a long time, you do develop its native accent. However, the accent becomes consistent and doesn’t change depending on the person you are speaking to.

As for J. K. Rowling (possibly) winning the outstanding achievement award, she certainly has earned it. She is a great role model and an inspiration to many. Harry Potter has gotten more children to read, sparked people’s inner creativity, and teaches its readers that love truly is the most powerful weapon to defeat evil. Such an accomplishment is definitely worthy of being recognized. Congrats, Jo!

Avatar Image says:

Stephen Fry must not be available…...

Avatar Image says:

Sorry, I am none to thrilled about this – the award for J.K.Rowlings – yes, I am happy about it. I just get so sick of Madonna working every little angle to get more press and attention. It’s time she’s learns some skills to be more discretion when being a fan of someone else. I just think it’s out of control now. If I was J.K.Rowlings I would feel really creeped out by it – like who is the award for – the one presenting it – or for her?

Please Stephen Fry be available so I don’t have to witness this!

Avatar Image says:

There are my 2 favourite females heroes. But as Luiz says, sounds faketakular!

Avatar Image says:

YAY! You go JKR! Pardon me (my lack of insight is showing) WHO is Steven Fry??

Avatar Image says:

Steven Fry is a well known British actor/comedian/celebrity. He is also the narrator for the UK version of the audiobooks. Look for a picture of him on imdb.com – you will most likely recognize him. His wiki entry is here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_Fry

Avatar Image says:

!!!!!!!! Congratz Jo. you totallly disorved you are the best writer i ever meet. you are the cleaver writer of the age.

Avatar Image says:

Madonna? come on MADONNA?! to present the lifetime achievement award to Jo? Your rite M Jones, Stephen Fry must be filming IQ that week or something!

Dear Confederate Lady -

Yes -as Beth said above, Stephen Fry is all of those things and is also a close friend of Jo Rowling. He is a wonderful polymath and Jo plainly adores and admires him. The recent ITV documentary had film of Jo sitting by as Stephen recorded “Deathly Hallows” back in April, 2007 and then photos of the two thereafter. They have become a bit of a double act over the years and their joint BBC Christmas interview in 2005 was highly illuminating. I confess I was being a bit mischievous suggesting Stephen may not have been available but Jo presented him with an award recently so I thought it appropriate that he do likewise. Some people were hoping that he might be a character in the films but I think he has wisely declined to do so not least because, outside of the US at least , his brilliant reading of the 7 books are regarded as definitive and a film appearance might seem an anti-climax of sorts.

Avatar Image says:

I most assuredly feel that Jo deserves any and all accolades for her monumental accomplishment, success, and her geneousity. In fact the more the better! Her generosity it is well noted by others.(JKR does showboat.) She doesn’t have to, her work and actions speak for themselves!

Now the same cannot be said of Madonna. She never does ANYTHING without doing it for publicity. Her tactics are reprehensible! The only reason that her feeble attempts at writing, were published, was NOT because of her talent but because of her “fame”. Also, it has already been reported that Madonna wanted to get Lourdes a part in the HP movies (because of Lourdes’ love for the books) ... HMMM … is this a ploy to get Jo to persuade the movie makers to make an exception in Lourdes’ case?

This whole scenerio reminds me of the scene from Chamber of Secrets (movie)when it is discovered that Draco made the Slytherin Quidditch team. Hermione observes (now this is paraphrased) “Well, at least no one on the Gryffindor team had to buy their way onto the team. They got on by pure talent.” This seems to be a case of life immitating art.

Avatar Image says:

Congratulations to JKR on another well deserved award!!

Jeers to Madonna for wanting to use the opportunity to gain more attention for herself. You’re absolutely right, Cat, it is reminiscent of CoS. For me, though, Madonna reminds me more of Gilderoy Lockhart purloining other people’s fame to garner more recognition for himself.

Avatar Image says:

Can someone explain why there are two different narrators for each audio book? They are both British. Just curious.

Avatar Image says:

The Quidditch scene was the first to come to mind. But right you are!!!! There are some very close parallels with Gilderoy … Vain, vacuous, opportunistic, narcissitic, self-aggrandizing… yep Madonna Lockhart!

But I shouldn’t let Madonna’s sycophantic behavior cloud what is another well deserved award and appreciation being shown to an incredible talent!

Jensenly -

I have never understood why the US has missed out on what the rest of the world thinks are the defintive audio versions of the books, as read by Stephen Fry. Jim Dale (the US reader) seems OK (I have only heard him read Hallows) but he is no Stephen Fry who, after all, works very closely withe the author to produce his versions. Other than the practical matter of there being some textual changes between the US and UK versions (and I am not referring to the totally unnecessary name change to Book 1, which I feel must annoy our Amercian friends) I can think of no reason why the American market should be deprived of the Fry version. Very strange and unfair IMHO to the market which, after all, funds the films. In fact I would recommend to anyone who has not heard either narrator ,to try and give them both a chance as I rather enjoyed listening to Hallows twice !

Avatar Image says:

FFS I thought this was a Harry Potter site not a Madonna bashing site.

GET OVER IT. If you were ask to present an award to Jo you would jump at the chance whether you were famous or not. I know not everyone likes Madonna but seriously it’s just an award ceremony the point is Jo is getting an award. Would you rather it was J-Lo or Eminem giving it to her.

And if you believe everything you read in the media (ie Lourdes in HPB – which was DENIED by Madonna publicist) then you need to get a clue. This article is from the Daily Mail for crying out loud.

Avatar Image says:

well, I do agree that people should be a bit more respectful, expressing an opinion on Madonna presenting an award to JKR is not, IMO, something that is beyond criticism.

I don’t think Madonna presenting an award to JKR is that big of a deal, but if I had a say in the matter, which I certainly don’t, I wouldn’t want Madonna either (or J-Lo or Eminem, or most celebrity’s either).

Avatar Image says:

Madonna is the Queen of Pop. For 25 years she has reinvented herself. I admire her character, her strength and sheer drive for success and her love for what she does. There are not many female artist who have managed to produce outstanding work over such a long span. She does not need to gain recognition by giving an award to JK Rowling. It saddens me to see that some people have learnt little from JK Rowling’s own books. So here’s a hip hip hooray for Madonna to present and award to JK, and for JK to receive an award from Madonna.

Write a Reply or Comment