New Tonner Snape,Cho Chang Dolls, New NECA “Half-Blood Prince” Action Figures

117

Jan 23, 2008

Posted by SueTLC
Uncategorized

We have a few bits of news tonight regarding new products tied in with the release of the upcoming Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince.

First, Tonner, the makers of high end collectible dolls, has announced new additions to their Harry Potter line, as new Severus Snape, Cho Chang and Kreacher dolls are due later this year. Molded in the likeness of actress Katie Leung, the Cho Chang doll is dressed in her school uniform, including her Ravenclaw robe and her wand. The Professor Snape doll, which is based on actor Alan Rickman who so memorably portrays the Potions master in the Harry Potter movies, will be “dressed in an authentic reproduction of his signature costume from the film. His costume includes a cotton high-collar shirt, chiffon neck scarf, tunic jacket with mandarin collar and button detailing, matching slacks, socks, faux leather slip-on boots, and full-length professor’s robe.” Of Kreacher, the description of the 10 inch tall house elf doll reads “Kreacher assures his mistress of the house that all the filthy traitors have left 12 Grimmauld Place.” How lovely ;) We will update you once these items become available.

Also, NECA, who hold the North American license for the Harry Potter products, updated their Myspace page with plans to release new Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince action figures and more this fall. Stating again the new Lucius Malfoy, Bellatrix Lestrange and a casual dressed Harry Potter holding the prophecy globe are due to be shipping to stores later this month, reps from NECA also said that five more figures are completed, with work on the new HBP sculpts due to begin soon. In an earlier interview with Toy Fare, reps for NECA said “Just to get people excited, we’ve started sculpting a Kreacher house-elf that may not see release until the Half-Blood Prince assortments. We may pack him with another elf like Dobby, since they’re half the size of a regular figure.”

Thanks to all who emailed!

57 Responses to New Tonner Snape,Cho Chang Dolls, New NECA “Half-Blood Prince” Action Figures

Avatar Image says:

Kreacher for HBP, eh? Do they know something we don’t?

Avatar Image says:

Which means they’ll probably develop a Ginny doll by next year, right? A Luna? A Neville? But eh, those dolls are kinda creepy in pictures, but I saw them in person at the NYC ComicCon in Feb. 2007 and the best one is still Hermione in the Yule Ball gown (it makes the gown actually not look like Hermione’s been shipwrecked and dipped in pink dye, which is the impression I and many friends/family got in the film! lol).

Avatar Image says:

haha i hope they have a ginny doll shes my favorite lol i like her way etter as harrys gf than cho i never didd like her AT ALL

The Cho looks good. :) Hopefully a Neville, Luna, and Ginny will come out. :D

Avatar Image says:

I would love to see Kreacher doing the “won’t won’t won’t” bit at the Dursleys! How that will translate to a figure I don’t know.

Luna. I’d like to see a good Luna in her Christmas Party spangled dress.

Avatar Image says:

I reeeeally want that Bella figurine!

Avatar Image says:

“App. 9.5” tall, DOBBYâ„¢ is crafted in fine resin with jointing at the neck, shoulders and hips; he comes dressed in his pillowcase; includes display stand. Sock not included.”

LOL. Tonner for the win.

Avatar Image says:

Hey, that means that they’re bringing Dobby back for HBP? Did we know this?

Avatar Image says:

sounds pretty cool, and im about to sound like the biggest nonharry potter person ever, but i really am a big fan who hasnt read HBP in a bit, but my memory’s not that bad….we dont actually see cho that much in HBP right? well sorry someone correct me if im wrong, i think we should see ginny like other commenters are saying, besides shes better than cho any day :)

Avatar Image says:

or wait, the cho isnt supposed to be OtP is it? idk, sorry im like exhausted and kinda confused…..but i got to love my urges to go on leaky when i reallly need to sleep for exams :)

Avatar Image says:

Yay! A Snape doll! I hope it’s pretty, because I want it so much! (I adore him.)

Avatar Image says:

I want to have a Snape doll, and I’m usually not into that kind of stuff at all…

Avatar Image says:

How do we have a Cho doll, but no Ginny, Luna, or Neville???

Avatar Image says:

Uh, that’s cool and all but why CHO? Not that I dislike her but she’s not a very important character… and her name is mentionned no more than three times in HBP.

Avatar Image says:

I want a Ginny doll. The Cho doll looks pretty good, though. Also, OMG I want the Bellatrix action figure!

Avatar Image says:

Yeah, what with the pushing of Cho while ignoring more important characters? Maybe I’m cynical, but could it be because she’s non-Caucasian? Of course, by that logic, we would see Lee Jordan and/or Dean Thomas figures…

Avatar Image says:

Um, to be honest, when I read the article title, I thought ‘Tonner’ meant that the Snape doll was made toner, as in more muscley and lean, lol [Yeah, Heath Ledger dying has made my brain all funky today :( ] I agree with ross- Ginny doll please! I also like the ‘casual’ Harry doll, hehe.

Avatar Image says:

You know your famous when you have a doll built after you. I think that when Jessica Alba had one built after fantastic four that is when she realised she had hit the big time.

Avatar Image says:

I have to say that the Cho doll is the most beautiful one so far.

That being said, what? I don’t get why they’re pushing Cho so much merchandise wise. I like Cho, but she’s simply not a popular character at all. I can see not pushing Ginny because her time to shine will be HBP, but why in the world all this Cho merchandise over the fandom favorite, Luna who was so perfectly cast in Ootp?

Avatar Image says:

Why are they pushing CHO’s character so much…. I don’t get it!!! I want one of GINNY, she really does deserve one and she has been there since the beginning.. she is my favourite character and I think she is pretty important too!!!

Avatar Image says:

yeah, i want a ginny doll, and another harry doll. the only harry doll i have was back from chamber of secret, so hes one of the old ones.

and a snape doll, just so i can say i have one haha

Avatar Image says:

Get over it, Ginny fans. Some people like Cho better than the shrieking, bullying harpy and are pleased to see merchandise featuring her (especially since KL is far more beautiful than BW), let us be happy.

Avatar Image says:

Wow, a Snape doll! I wanna see it, it must be awsome! And I would prefer to see a Luna doll rather than a Cho doll, but anyway… these amazing dolls are far too expensive for me :((( If I had spare money, I’d buy Draco, he is so cute =)))

Avatar Image says:

Why are they pushing CHO’s character so much…. probably because the one in charge of merchandising at Warners never read one line of JKR’s books and just glanced at the movie script . Cho Chang was promoted as the “Tah Big HP Romance” before the release of OotP and everybody had to go gusy over “Tah Kiss” , Katie Leung even got hatemail from jealous fans who claimed she was stealing “their” love away The one in charge probably ignored the fact that Cho Chang would become a dead fish in the water with the progress of the story….. don’t know if she is casted for HBP or DH, but who would miss her when not.

You are right, Frea, Ginny is far more important then Cho, but maybe in the eyes or the merchandisers less photogenic. personally Bonnie Wright doesn’t answer at my visualisation of Ginny, maybe the merchandise boys and girls think that too.

Avatar Image says:

I don’t get that gussy over Toner dolls, first the are expensive second they would not fit on the computer screen. third they would only collect dust

when the actionfigures get dusty I can rinse them clean in the kitchensink.

Avatar Image says:

Sorry for my english…..i am italian. But are they bringing kreacher in hbp?

Avatar Image says:

Kamion: I actually do like Cho. I feel like I’m one of the few who does, she gets so much hate. I have to say in the movie though, Harry is sort of the one who comes off as a big jerk at the end. Cho was dosed with verita serum and he never even apologizes to her or listens to her the times she tries to confrotn him? Smooth. I did like Ootp, but I did not like that change at all for the negative impact it had on Harry’s character. Then again, poor Ginny gets a lot of hate as well (who I also love). But I have to say that why is everyone surprised at the lack of Ginny merchandise? She had few lines in the movie, far less than the rest of the sextet. In this film, Cho was more important. If HBP comes around and we’re still getting no Ginny merchandise, then I’ll be frustrated! As I said, it is the lack of Luna merchandise I find puzzling. Talk about not paying attention to the fanbase…

Avatar Image says:

i DEFINITLY want a Ginny doll, but what about old Dumbledore?? HBP is his last horah. Shouldnt he get some respect???

Avatar Image says:

OMG! i want all the figurines. i wander if they will make a dumbledor figurine.

Avatar Image says:

Oh, a Snape doll! AWESOME!! I am so getting that doll when it comes out!! I told my husband a couple of months ago how cool it would be if Tonner made a Snape doll. I have Harry, Ron, and Hermione already, but Snape!! :)

Avatar Image says:

Kelly: I hope i did not say I dislike Cho, to speak with Lupin ” I neither like nor dislike Cho”. I only think that the canon!Cho of the book had a 100% more backbone then the Cho of the movie. And it’s movie!Cho that gots merchandised. She also got plugged as The Girl That Kissed, as this was the big romance in Harry Potter.

However JKR does Love not Romance, honestly she stinks at Romance. She did create a nice foursome of female characters, but among the list Hermione-Ginny-Luna Cho Chang is at the lower end of the foodchain.

And looking at importance in the movie it was Luna who deserved a Toner doll before Cho.

Avatar Image says:

Ha! I just went to website and found this little gem under the description of Prof. Snape:

IMAGE FORTHCOMING AS SOON AS OUR POTIONS MASTER FINISHES SEARCHING THE HALLS FOR MR. POTTER.

Love the sense of humour!

Avatar Image says:

Sooooooooo…..... does this mean certain fans will finally be able to undress certain Hogwarts teachers of our mutual knowledge?

Avatar Image says:

The Cho Chang doll is pretty, but you REALLy need to have a Luna Lovegood doll. Or Ginny or Neville. But most of all, you should have a SEAMUS FINNIGAN DOLL!!!!!! that would be REALLY coo.

Avatar Image says:

P.S. B.J. is the same person as me, Boonie jo, just to let u no and THEY SHOULD TOTALLY HAVE A DUMBLEDORE DOLL!!!! oh ya

Avatar Image says:

The suits at WB seem to see nothing wrong with Bonnie’s looks since they’re keeping her in the role. These are the same people who recast Christian Coulson for “looking too old” so you don’t think they’d recast Bonnie if they didn’t think she was “pretty enough”? She’s VERY pretty, imo, pretty enough to be the love interest of the hero in a billion dollar franchise. Put that in your pipe and smoke it.

That being said I will add my voice to the chorus of those wanting a GINNY doll. :) We’ll probably have to wait until after HBP is out though. Bummer.

Avatar Image says:

Omg. Gotta love that Tonner site. “Picture of Kreacher will be made available as soon as Kreacher has assured his mistress that all of the filthy blood traitors have left 12 Grimuald place.” Yeah, It’s kinda late to do a Cho doll. It would have been better to make one during OotP. I’m sure they’ll do Ginny too when the time is ripe. Oooh! This means that maybe they’ll have that scene in the movie at Privet Drive where Harry finds out that Kreacher is his (and tells him to shut up.) I hope Dobby is in the movie. We have seen so little of my favorite elf!

Avatar Image says:

I finally browsed through the site and I was surprised by how many characters they’ve already done. I’d never seen any aside from the trio in the Yule Ball garb, but they’ve also done Voldy and even Draco. Hopefully, they’ll expand a little and do the other characters (Ginny, Dumbledore, Neville, Luna, and so on). That being said, the hair on the boy dolls make me chuckle. They’re obviously modeled after the GoF appearances if the shaggy hair is any indication.

Avatar Image says:

For people who are curious about how Tonner does things, a little explanation.

For each of their lines they release the dolls incrementally. There’s many lines of dolls they do and releasing everything at once would be too much. There’s the start of the year collection, which is usually released for sale sometime spring. Then there’s mid-year additions which usually adds one or two dolls to the series (possibly Dumbledore or Luna or Sirius maybe, since they have Kreacher?) and then there’s the Holiday season, which last year saw the released of Voldemort. And then there’s the potential for special additions of each doll.

Tonner is not a big huge company. Its a smaller group of people, one man designing the dolls, then the dolls being produced in limited quantities. So for all the ‘why haven’t they released this or that character’ well if they released all the characters you wanted, there wouldn’t be the time needed to get the quality into each of the lines he designs.

By the by, I have my pre-order in for Snape. ^^ A lot of Tonner doll collectors will pre-order the doll with their favorite doll seller as soon as its announced, or have their credit card ready the moment that limited editions go on sale. You might want to take that into consideration for buying these dolls, since a lot of the dolls are totally sold out (you can’t buy Quidditch Draco at all, he was only sold, in a small handful, at a special event!)

Hope this was insightful.

Avatar Image says:

Sirius Black isn’t up there?! He dies and doesn’t even get a doll? Yet Kreacher does… I’d be pretty irritated, were I Sirius.

Avatar Image says:

Kamion: Sorry I never meant to imply you dislike Cho. I was just rambling. Hehe.

Avatar Image says:

Heck, Gin ends up MARRYING the lovely, tanrum-prone Harry Potter, not Cho. Geez. NOOO! No Luna! Sorry. I’m an Evanna Lynch fan, obviously. :D

Avatar Image says:

God almighty, do you people not have brains? They have put out a Cho doll not only because she has had a bigger role thus far than Ginny, but also for the asian markets ie Japan and China etc which is huge. Make no mistake, they will have a Luna doll later as well as a Ginny doll. Stop being so bitter.

Avatar Image says:

What’s this Bonnie bashing? The less photogenic in person thingy? We are talking about the dolls, why can’t you bashers get over saying harsh words about her?

Clearly your day isn’t complete if you’re not doing this to Bonnie.

Tsk, tsk, tsk…you’ll be so sorry…

I also want a Ginny doll! Who doesn’t? The insecure threatened fans. Oh and the jealous fan girls.

Bonnie is beautiful I’m sure her doll will look far better that the other girls’ dolls.

I think these dolls are still from ootp that’s why there is an ugly chang doll. i’m sure come HBP, there are lots of Ginny and no hosepipe.

Avatar Image says:

double post, sorry, jane, kamion and everyone who thinks leung is better looking than Bonnie, is a matter of opinions. it doesn’t explain everything that when you think she’s prettier everybody thinks she is. like in my case, i think leung is UGLY! Nothing in my expectations. UGLY, CANNOT ACT and what else? CONCEITED like Emma.

I agree Ivy. these pathetic people who are still having a hard time accepting the fact that Bonnie is still Ginny and she WILL GOING TO KISS DAN AND NOT EMMA or THEM.

Condolences but Bonnie will soon get all the glory. It is not yet starting so don’t be too happy.

You are so sick and immature. Pity…

Avatar Image says:

I am excited to see Bonnie’s doll as much as I am to read these mental people’s comments when she’s already all over the place, more than the other girls in the film.

You will eat your words!

Avatar Image says:

Its seems obvious to me that there are simply no particular order of importance in which the they are releasing the dolls so its quite amusing reading some of the “conspiracy” comments! As for Kreacher, the very clever script writer looks to be integrating the character which would be a good exposition for his role in film 7. Quite frankly I find much enhancements in many of the changes the film makers made to the books for that movie viewing experience. 5 great films so far, I have faith in the next 2 with all the cuts and new stuff they put in to make for a great movie experience.

Avatar Image says:

“I have to say in the movie though, Harry is sort of the one who comes off as a big jerk at the end. Cho was dosed with verita serum and he never even apologizes to her or listens to her the times she tries to confrotn him? Smooth”

LOL. I like that comment! I think Harry is sometimes a bit of a jerk, and I think that’s great because he’s got to have some base humanity (like Ron, who’s a LOT of a jerk!).

I’m not a doll person at all, so I really couldn’t care less, but I can see why the need for a Cho doll to diversify the market. Ginny will get her moment.

For the record, I see Bonnie as the most attractive of the young women, because she is fresh and natural, and doesn’t go overboard with the stylist and make-up. I also think this makes her a better role model for girls than, say, Emma (and Katie I think is similar to Emma), who is tending more and more towards vanity, to the extent that I no longer find her a ‘naturally’ pretty person. She’s pretty of course, but too concerned with her looks.

It’s good to care a bit about your appearance and to look smart (if you want to) but I think it can be taken too far to the extent that it pressurizes women, gives them complexes, and makes them do unnecessary and drastic things like plastic surgery and constant dieting.

Avatar Image says:

Sorry for unnecessary rambling and for sounding conceited, but I cannot understand why people are getting so frustrated about the actresses’ looks and about other people’s attitude to somebody liking or not liking a particular actress :((( I, personally, do not like how they show Bonnie in the films – in my opinion, she looks much prettier in real life. But this does not mean that I am jealous or something… I just do not like how she looks in the films, that’s all… And Cho is quite OK, I think. But I do not have any problem with this, I just don’t care much about it. The only choice I’m really frustrated about is Helen McCrory. She might be a brilliant actress, but I don’t think she suits for this particular part.

Avatar Image says:

BONNIE is amazing!!!....... END OF STORY. GOODBYE. THE END.

Avatar Image says:

Anne: Right yes, it is true Harry comes across as a bit of a jerk in canon OotP (what with all the capslock raging and all at his friends and mentors who are just trying to help him), but he really came off poorly in the Cho situation whereas in the book he just came across very romantically inept. Since Harry and Cho never had any legitimate problems in their relationship in the film, it seems as if the only reason he broke it off was because she told on the group which turns out to be not her fault anyway. This will only carry over to the next movie where he is snogging another girl without any proper conclusion to his previous relationship (unless they add it in). I just think Harry ends up looking really bad, which he sometimes brings on himself true, but not so much here. As for Ron being a lot of jerk- well… that’s a matter of opinion.

Avatar Image says:

you are grat I love your movies there so good I reley wut the 3th thow and the 4th and i like you a lote your cewt. the last one is so good the 5th well i got to go i hop you get this.

Avatar Image says:

Well Cho is a Tonner Doll. Cho hasn’t been given a NECA doll yet. So far NECA has made 4 different Harrys, Voldemort, 4 Death Eaters, a Dementor, Dumbledore, Snape, Ron, Hermione, Sirius, Lucius, and Bellatrix. It sounds like they have 5 more OOTP figures to ship out that they haven’t announced yet (not sure who to expect here) Then they will start with the HBP line.

Avatar Image says:

You can see a photo of the Snape figure here: http://collectdolls.about.com/b/2008/01/25/severus-snape-cho-chang-and-fawkes-join-the-harry-potter-collection-by-tonner-dolls.htm

Avatar Image says:

I collect both The Tonner and NECA lines and I am VERY excited about these new releases! I at first was also wondering why Cho was being made and not Luna(who is my favorite character). Then I realized this is Cho’s last large role in the movies. So I understand why Tonner is making a Cho. And I must say, she is number ONE on my list of Tonner dolls to get now! She turned out extremely well! And Snape also looks great! Thank you for the link, Royston. I think Ginny will get her time and Cho will fade with the release of HBP. But the Tonner dolls are beautiful and anyone not into the line and are thinking about getting them, do it! They are really great to have!

About NECA, I’m disappointed with them. The new figures are great! But I think they could have done more. The last series had five figures. This new series has only three. They could have easily fit Neville, Ginny, and Luna into this series. But no. OOtP figures are over for NECA. Onto HBP. Spring looks very promising for figures though! The Weasly twins, Moody, Harris Dumbledore, and Movie 2 Harry will be released in spring. Very exciting!

Avatar Image says:

i wonder if they will make a doll of cho and harry kissing.

Avatar Image says:

I used to work in the world’s biggest doll shop, and I’ve met Robert Tonner on a few different occasions.

First, understand that the dolls aren’t meant to come out in coordination with HBP. They’re just a series of dolls for doll collectors and Harry Potter fans alike. Secondly – why Cho over Ginny? Because doll people love having dolls that look different from one another. The fact that she’s Asian probably helped in the decision process.

I can tell y’all that Tonner is supercommitted to making their dolls high quality. Robert was a huge fan of the books and wanted to make a set of dolls even before the first movies were cast. They are totally rad. (I sound like I work for them, yeah?)

Write a Reply or Comment