Audie Award Nomination for Jim Dale and “Deathly Hallows”

351

Feb 06, 2008

Posted by SueTLC
Uncategorized

Actor Jim Dale has been nominated for his audio recording of J.K. Rowling’s Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows at the 2008 Audie Awards. Recognized for his voice work in the category of “Solo Narration-Male,” Jim Dale is nominated along with Edward Herrmann, narrator of The Coldest Winter (David Halberstam), John Lee, narrator of The Long Walk (Slavomir Rawicz), and Jay O. Sanders, narrator of Catch-22 (Joseph Heller). The entire list of nominations is available here (pdf).

Readers will recall that Jim Dale, a past Audie Award winner and a member of the Audie Award Hall of Fame, is also nominated for a Grammy award for his narration of Deathly Hallows, with those awards due to be presented February 10. For those who have not heard Jim Dale’s work on the Potter audio book series, you can hear a sample of his recording from each of the Harry Potter novels, here via Random House. You can also watch this video of Jim Dale at work as he gives a marvelous performance and reads several excerpts of the Harry Potter novels for the Deathly Hallows release party in New York City of last year.

The 2008 Audie Awards will be presented May 30 in Los Angeles, California. Congratulations Jim Dale!

24 Responses to Audie Award Nomination for Jim Dale and “Deathly Hallows”

Avatar Image says:

Congratulations to Mr. Dale! I enjoy listening to his reading so much.

Avatar Image says:

I love my Audio books read by Jim Dale. I find them entertaining. I know there seems to be a thing over who reads them better Jim Dale or the guy who reads the UK version. (Sorry I can’t think of his name right now). I think both men do a fine job but they just do them differently. I love how Jim Dale’s versions seem like plays or those old radio programs. So congrats Jim I hope you win and good luck at the Grammies also.

Avatar Image says:

Congratulations! I hope you win!

Avatar Image says:

Yay this is Brilliant! This made my day! Jim Dale is my favorite person in the world. :) He opened up the world to books to me and I’ve fallen in love with literature because of him. He most certainly deserves this.

Avatar Image says:

I “read” the first five Harry Potter books by listening to Jim Dale’s audio books. The audio book for HBP at the library had a waiting list of 125 people when I was ready for it, so I actually read the book. But I really missed Jim Dale’s voice. I have since bought all seven HP books on CD and listen to them often while I work (Home Office). I shared the series with my son by reading them all to him and I used my best impression of Jim Dale to do it. It was great fun. We were recently discussing what voice we’d rather have on our new TOM TOM auto GPS and we decided that Jim Dale’s McGonagall would be terrific. He’s as much a star of these books to us as Jo.

Contgratulations Jim!

Avatar Image says:

Why isn’t Deathly Hallows available on iTunes?? I bought a Hogwarts iPod and would like to buy DH to put on it, but it’s not listed. I think I’ll be writing to Apple….

Avatar Image says:

Ah, to answer my own question….apparently DH is not coming to iTunes. http://aldoblog.com/2007/08/no-deathly-hallows-at-itunes-store/

Avatar Image says:

I love Jim Dale’s narration. It was easier remodeling my house listening to the last two Harry Potter books. You can tune out of the real world and disappear into the story. Jim Dale deserves the award. He also narrates “Pushing Daisies”, which is an awesome show.

Avatar Image says:

I love the books on tape. I’ve read them so much my eyes hurt, but now I own GoF, OotP, and HBP ON TAPE. Now my husband listens intently because he never ever reads books and has discovered why Im obsessed with the series. Im going out tomorrow to buy DH on tape!

Avatar Image says:

i have to say that jim dale is a hero in all films as for all harry potters books jim has made millions happy with the audio reading. give the MAN a royal crown WELL DONE JIM AND GOD BLESS.

Avatar Image says:

I AM GIONG TO SAY THAT JIM IS A HERO IN FILMS ,AS FOR THE HARRY POTTER AUDIO BOOKS ,WELL JIM HAS ERNED A ROYAL CROWN HAS’NT HE….....

WELL DONE JIM AND GOD BLESS….

P.S I HOPE  MRS ROWLING IS PROUD OF JIM FOR HIS OUT STANDING WORK ON THE HARRY POTTER  AUDIO BOOKS
Avatar Image says:

Congratulations to Jim for his excellent work. I have read all the books until the covers are falling off and then moved onto the audiobooks which I can practically recite along with Jim. His narration is easy and the characters colourful. Well done Jim.

Avatar Image says:

Congratulations! Hearing him read the books makes EVERYTHING easier, no matter what it is.

Stephen Fry is far better

Avatar Image says:

Thanks so much for all the nice words you write about my work. Nice to be appreciated, Best Jim Dale

Avatar Image says:

Well, good for him! This guy deserves it! He’s just….amazing. And I’ve also just recently found out that he was the bad guy in Pete’s Dragon. I love that movie (especially the amusing villain) and I just went insane when I learned that was Jim Dale!!! Ahhh! XD

Avatar Image says:

I wonder why Jim Dale receives all these nominations. Stephen Fry does a brilliant job. He would have deserved an award, too!

Avatar Image says:

Awesome! We first came to HP through Jim Dale’s readings. Once we moved to Asutralia (where only the British readings by Stephen Fry are available) we special ordered Jim Dale’s versions because he is HP to us.

Avatar Image says:

Congratz Jim Dale you are the best reader i ever heard

CONGRATS to Jim Dale!

I have listened from 1-7 three times now, and greatly enjoyed. Recently bought all of the UK versions and now on POA. They are surely different (the two artists) in style, but have enjoyed both. Really could not say one “better:” than the other… both great artists.

Avatar Image says:

I have read all the books and listened to all Jim Dale’s CDs of the HP books numerous times! (I really have lost count!) Jim Dale definitely deserves any award or honor that comes his way … His talent is absolutely remarkable! I especially enjoy the CD books on long car trips! They not only keep me entertained and wide awake while driving, they also make the time pass very rapidly! I haven’t worn out the CDs yet but, I’m pretty close!

Avatar Image says:

Oh and I also wanted to convey my sincere thanks to Mr. Dale. Because of his Harry Potter Audiobooks, my nephew became quite an avid reader. When he was just beginning to read, I got the books and the cassettes for him so that he could read along. It worked very well and in turn he shared the books and tapes with his younger sister and younger brother. They are all amazing, they actually prefer reading to playing video games! Thanks Jim!

Avatar Image says:

I adore listening to audio books in my car on my way to and from work. Each night I drift off to sleep listening to audiobooks and the Harry Books are by far the best. A very generous friend in the US sent me two of the books (Goblet and Phoenix) read by Jim Dale. I already owned the Stephen Fry narrations and my only comment/observation on the difference between the two is in connection with the chosen accents. If Jim really did post a comment here I would like to ask “Why did you give the Centaurs, who live in a forest in Scotland, thick Welsh accents? It is just so non-sensical.”

May I close by saying that anything that brings the world of the written word to a wider audience can only ever be a good thing.

Well done Jim!

Avatar Image says:

That`s great ! :) He’s really good. Although he gave Bellatrix a french accent in OotP !? lol. :D

Write a Reply or Comment