Dan Radcliffe, Emma Watson on “Entertainment Weekly” 30 Under 30 Lists

122

Feb 29, 2008

Posted by SueTLC
Uncategorized

Entertainment Weekly has a new feature online, highlighting the hottest 30 actors and actresses under 30. Actor Dan Radcliffe (Harry Potter) made the list, as did Emma Watson (Hermione Granger). On choosing Dan the magazine says:

“He’s utterly charming and managed to do the growing up thing with grace, even with a skin-baring role in a West End production of Equus. Plus, he’s got a teeny tiny fan base, seeing as how the Potter blockbusters have grossed nearly $4.5 billion (movie’s biggest franchise ever!) around the world. WHAT‘S NEXT World domination! No, really, Radcliffe’s got the last two Potter flicks ” Half-Blood Prince is set for release in November, and Deathly Hallows in 2010. Broadway, too, will see his Equus in 2008.”

Noting that this year Emma Watson will be part of the animated short The Tale of Despereaux as well as the upcoming Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince due out this fall, the magazine states: “WHY HER Because she’s matured from a precocious pre-adolescent to a confident young actress, right in front of her eyes. And she’s done it without ever appearing in the tabloid pages.”

143 Responses to Dan Radcliffe, Emma Watson on “Entertainment Weekly” 30 Under 30 Lists

Good for Emma and Dan!

Avatar Image says:

articles like this always make me feel bad for Rupert

this is great news! im so happy there both included… totally love Dan & Emma

Avatar Image says:

your right, i also feel bad for Rupert, being a sidekick in both the harry potter world and in reality

Avatar Image says:

Congrats to Dan and Emma. I also wish more people would recognize Rupert’s talent and contributions to the HP films. The three of them have done an amazing job personally and professionally as they grew within their roles and within the industry.

Avatar Image says:

Congrats, to both! Here’s a thought….I wouldn’t be surprised to see Rupert come into “his own”, in the near future! Keep watching, loyal fans! ‘Ron’s’ on the way, just off stage…..waiting! [not for long, I’m sure of it!] :D

Where’s Rupert? : (

Avatar Image says:

CONGRATS! To Emma and Dan. But like you all say, WHAT ABOUT RUPERT! I mean he was in Harry Potter and part of the trio wasnt he? It wasn’t part of my imagination was it? I mean, correct me if im wrong, but he did grow up like emma and dan, from similar age, same career, and yet, Oh whats this, they forget rupert in the under 30’s list, Did they just delete him from their own minds? WE SURE DIDNT! Next time, give all 3 of them an award for something like this, or none at all! WELL thats just my opinion!!

Avatar Image says:

There’s so many inaccuracies in those articles, they’re really sloppily written. For example, Emma is 17 not 18, and the Tale of Desperaux is an animated feature film, not a short film. Do your fact-checking before you publish, Entertainment Weekly! It looks bad…

Avatar Image says:

And Emma has been in the tabloids TWICE in the past two weeks. Once for Johnny Borell and once for Dan on V-day…both woefully inaccurate.

I still love Rupert. He’s my number 1 under thirty.

Avatar Image says:

Also, Rupert had the most successful non HP movie out of the three. And he gets the best reviews for all of his work.

But EW obviously only cares about fame. I bet Lindsey Lohan is on the list too. Maybe Zac Effron? Both sacks of crap, but popular to boot.

Avatar Image says:

I’m really over Dan and Emma getting all the love.

Dan I can even excuse, since he is Harry and all, but Emma? I mean come on…

Avatar Image says:

I agree with the people who commented before me. It is very sad that they usually leave out Rupert Grint. Not wanting to be nasty, but I think he is also a bit better at acting then Daniel and Emma. Of course this doesn’t mean that I am not happy for the two of them for making it on this list. Congrats!

Avatar Image says:

Eu Simplismente, amooo harry potter .

Avatar Image says:

Critics agree with you, Victoria! I do think that he’ll be raking in the awards more than the other two when they get done.

Avatar Image says:

all or none when it comes to the potter series. but anything else individualy should be recognized to each separate actors/actresses

Avatar Image says:

“But EW obviously only cares about fame. ” As in Entertainment Weekly? Or Emma? Im hoping the former was the one meant.

Entertainment Weekly.

And at least SOME oscar winning but not uber famous performers are on there.

My problem is that Emma and Dan are on there and Rupes isn’t…when Rupes is just as if not more talented than the other two. And critics agree. So why was he not chosen?

Avatar Image says:

I mean to cause no offence to Dan Radcliffe fans but omg what were they thinking! The Phelps twins (fred & george) and Matthew Lewis (neville longbottom) are soooo way much hotter then Dan Radcliffe in real life. They just don’t look great in the movies coz their hair is crap. But if you look at the Dragon Con Convention 2007 and watch the Q&A with the twins and matt, its very hard not to druel over the keyboard haha. H-O-T!! The twins have this beautiful brown hair and look great in their casual clothes and Mathew Lewis is georgous with stubble and his messy hair! Its very rugged and handsome. The way they had neville’s hair in OOTP was utterly awfull! Just because Daniel Radcliffe’s is more famous doesn’t mean he’s hotter!!

Avatar Image says:

Wait…they are talking about ‘hot’’ as in hotness, physical appearence and sexyness right? or do they mean hot as in famous? Emma Watson is also a very attractive young lady, i’ve seen some tabloid pictures of her on nights out and she’s very fashionable and well presented and very pretty.

Avatar Image says:

I meant Entertainment Weekly…but I don’t see my answer to you.

Avatar Image says:

sorry just me comenting again don’t mind me lol they obviously mean acting ability. Which doesn’t make sense, Dan Radcliffe and Emma Watson can’t really act that well (in Harry Potter anway) Rupert Grint has more acting talent in his little finger. I was blown away with his performance in Driving Lessons and i hope he decides to do more roles after Harry Potter. Dan Radcliffe just makes me embarrased to like Harry Potter and Emma isn’t much better…she keeps looking at the dam camera! She’s always thinking about what she has to do next, she’s never in the moment. Neither is Dan to be honest. Oh well, thats just my opinion….I’ve always prefered Rupert. In my opinion he’s the better actor out of the three of them.

Avatar Image says:

Congrats to both Dan and Emma!! But I love Rupert too!! He’s perfect as Ron and his contribution to the films has been just as big as the other 2! You just can’t do HP without Ron, and no one can play Ron like Rupert! :-)

Avatar Image says:

RUPERT, MY LOVE! They’re so mean to not put him on this list. Always Dan and Emma, Dan and Emma. I’m so disgusted ! But whatever. Congratulations Emma. sighs, whatever, roll eyes Congratulations Dan! – I actually mean this one because I like Dan. XD – Rupert should get regcognized for his talents too! AND he’s freaking hot. =]

Congratz Guys…..........

Avatar Image says:

I don’t think Rupert really cares whether he’s in any kind of list…Fame and success don’t seem to be what he really cares about. Congrats to Dan and Emma! I agree, they’re excellent teen-ish celebs.

Avatar Image says:

Kudos to you, Daniel. 2007 was a special year and here’s to 2008 being just as great! See you in NY!

Avatar Image says:

What happended to Rupert?

Avatar Image says:

Franlock, I couldn’t agree more. Rupert doesn’t need to be on a list like this. I know that he shines a lot more than Dan and Emma. He’s really laid back and down to earth, he doesn’t need his name all over the place to prove he’s a star. Let his films do that. The list is very useless and only may appeal to those teenyboppers that don’t know quality when the see it. Rupert is definitely HOT both looks, personality and talent.

I don’t want to sound like a Dan hater. I love him and is very proud of what he has accomplished as an actor but I have the feeling Dan is getting to be somewhat of a prat now after reading his comment about the Steven Speilberg rumor. It sounded like he just wanted to hear himself talk. I don’t know, I never imagined him responding like that to anything. Oh well.

Emma is beautiful and a classy young lady, I’ll give her that but she still needs a lot of work with her craft. I prefer her acting abilities when she was in SS or COS. Later on, she became a little more self conscious and not for the better. She improved a bit in OOTP, but again, still not as natural as Hermione as I would have liked her to be.

So yeah, I’ve with everyone that says enough about Dan and Emma only!! RUPERT ROCKS!!

Avatar Image says:

I agree with Abby, Rupert does not need to be on a list like this for his loyal fans to know how great he is. I have seen all his movies and he is definitely improving with age, talent and looks wise.

I cannot take anything away from Emma or Dan. They are talented as well but I am getting just a little tired of making it seem as if Rupert is worse than the other two. He is a wonderful actor and one day they will recognize him the way he should be.

DA forever!!!! and vote for Leaky on Podcast Alley.

Avatar Image says:

Sooooo….I decided that I needed to express my opinions on EW and wrote a blog. Everyone can check it out if you like. Its entitled “Where’s Rupert?”

I LOVE RUPERT!!!!

Avatar Image says:

I agree with many of you as to how Rupert should also get some attention. However, perhaps they’re basing their selections on looks. And Rupert really isn’t that great looking, in my eyes, at least. Nonetheless, I do enjoy his talent in acting. And although he usually is the side-kick, even they will have their day of triumph. Rupert just needs more time and someday he will be just as great or even greater than the other two, perhaps. Good work, Dan and Emma!

Avatar Image says:

“Rupert had the most successful non HP movie”

Now that sort of comment really gets on my nerves. Why do you people always talk just movies? Have you never heard of TV or Theatre? Those two are much more valid than movies when talking about UK actors and their success. And what has Rupert done since? Driving Lessons is old hat now; how many years ago was it? The reviewers were not raving over it and neither was I. And I notice none of you comment on Thunderpants.

Now I like Rupert as much as anyone, except the most obsessive, but that’s no reason to start slamming into the other two just because they appear on some really stupid list (half of these actors I’ve never even heard of!)

Anne-

Because when talking about the criteria used by Entertainment Weekly for determining talent and success in a way that makes the performers worthy of the list…

Then Rupert does have enough, if not more, credentials than Emma. He had an internationally released movie, which grossed a lot, and got critical acclaim.

Dan has a major theater work that will forever make him credible and worthy.

Emma had a made for TV movie that got lacklustre reviews.

Dan and Rupert get great reveiws for HP, Emma doesn’t.

So how is she on the list and Rupert not?

Avatar Image says:

EruditeWitch, I agree about the Emma versus Rupert bit. I also agree that Rupert should be included and I didn’t rate Ballet Shoes either, no more than DL (it was no worse though). But I don’t like when people compare success just based on movies. That’s a very American thing because the UK doesn’t have a decent movie industry. Actors here (as many adult HP ones) make their name more in the theatre and do more TV work than film.

All of these actors will have to plug it out on stage and TV in their future careers. Some of you may not ever hear of them again, but they may make major reputations in the UK and end up Knighted.
Avatar Image says:

Damn it! The last line said.

Some of you may never hear of them again, but they may still make major reputations in the UK and end up Knighted.

Avatar Image says:

As long as we agree! I don’t really see any talent shining out of Emma yet, but I do out of Rupert.

Personal opinions of DL differ, but the critics love Rupert, and I really wish that counted for more. The only person in DL that got bad reviews was Linney…which broke my heart as I adore her.

Avatar Image says:

the thing is that in the UK critics’ views do (for the moment at least) count for more, more than these silly lists do. That’s how the adult HP actors got their success. So if Dan and Rupert follow their example they will be doing well.

These lists are Hollywood /movie/American biased, which is fine if these actors want to do Hollywood. I have a feeling Emma might, but not sure about the other two.

Maggie Smith said her Oscar counted for absolutely nothing as far as her career went because she’s not a movie actress.

Avatar Image says:

in other words, I wouldn’t worry too much about Rupert not appearing on these lists :)

Avatar Image says:

Well, I adore the Trio very much and I agree that Rupert deserves some love. But that doesn’t mean that we have the right to put down Dan and Emma. All of them are wonderful people! So, yeah, congratulations to Dan and Emma. And to Rupert, I hope you will recognized more sometime in the near future. :)

Avatar Image says:

Well, this is great and all but they’re always on some list or other and Rupert is hardly ever with them – I’ve gotten used to that even though it’s too bad, but maybe it’s because he doesn’t communicate very well in interviews and is quite shy. ((sigh)) But, man, since DH, HP news has been slow. Maybe something about a possible trailer date for HBP could come out soon so we’d actually have something HP to look forward to that isn’t years away?!? :(

Avatar Image says:

What about Rupert this makes me very sad he is such an amazing actor and they never give him any awards or anything! :( im sorry rupert. you are amaing!

Avatar Image says:

Why is Rupert never included in these types of things? The focus is always on Dan and Emma, because he’s the star and she’s the girl. It really stinks sometimes!!! But congrats to them anyways!

Avatar Image says:

I can see why they put DR on the list because he is, after all, the title character of history’s highest grossing movie series, and in the past year (which is what counts in the U.S. movie industry), he has made the news based on his work—whether they be in the theater, movies or TV, he has gotten attention and, to some extent, praise for branching out and taking risks.

I think that Emma’s making the 30 under 30 list is offensive to HP fans because she is 1/3 of the Trio BUT NOT THE LEAD, yet she made it and Rupert didn’t. There is also the somewhat important of her not being a very good actress, and Rupert being better actor. (I don’t know that I’d buy into people saying he is a great actor, but he is definitely not the weak link in the HP series the way Emma is.)

To be fair to Emma making the list, however, it should be noted that the list of actresses under 30 is a LOT weaker than the list of actors under 30 in terms of acting talent. There were at least 3 other actresses besides Emma who made the list not because they’d been critically praised, had been part of some breakout hit (not an established one like HP) or had some buzz regarding their future prospects, but rather just because they were pretty young things (i.e., Jessica Alba, Hayden Pannetierre, Amanda Bynes, etc.) Got to hand it to Emma, though, she seems to be very popular—even if not for the right reasons. She must be doing something right.

Avatar Image says:

Just wanted to point out Ballet Shoes and Emma both got really great reviews. I know we are supposed to hate her and all but the critics really liked her in that film. Give the girl some credit. Don’t take away what she has accomplished.

Avatar Image says:

It really is unfair to Rupert cause I personally consider him a better actor than Daniel, I’m not saying Daniel is a bad actor, but I just think Rupert plays Ron better, more the way I picture him to be from the books.

Avatar Image says:

I’m so excited to watch My Boy Jack on PBS on 4/20!!! I can’t wait to see Dan shine. I didn’t like December boys, but that wasn’t his fault. It was a weak story.

Avatar Image says:

I have to admit that December Boys didn’t appeal to me at all on watching the trailers, so I didn’t see it, the story seemed a bit sentimental for my taste. But I have seen both of Dan’s other projects and was very impressed.

Avatar Image says:

RUPYYY, my love, don´t be sad, for me (and for many people, as we could see), you´re better than both of them!!!!!!!!!!!!!(though I love them too, I just think some of Dan´s scenes are bad, aham, crying scene in POA).

Avatar Image says:

I can kind of see why Rupert never makes it, mostly because the movies always portray Ron in a really goofy way (those faces!). I don’t think people give actors in roles such as that as much attention as they give to actors whose roles are more intense and serious (think emo/all-caps Harry). They don’t seem to get that it takes as much acting ability to be funny as it takes to be sad.

Another reason why Rupert is overlooked is because Dan is the lead guy and Emma is the lead girl, so the fame isn’t split into even thirds. Plus, Dan and Emma have had a lot more attention lately because of their new movies and Dan’s theatre performances, whereas Rupert hasn’t had any new roles lately.

So, I’m not saying it’s right or a fair justification of the treatment to Rupert, but that these are the most likely reasons I can think of for Rupert being overlooked (yet again).

By the way, I find it very interesting how a lot a female fans absolutely loath Emma, just saying.

Avatar Image says:

Well, Rupert did make a list: MSN’s Notable Redheads http://style.uk.msn.com/fashionandbeauty/bebeautiful/gallery.aspx?cp-documentid=5568980&imageindex=15

Avatar Image says:

please people….stop with the ‘what about ruperts??’. the reason for why it’s always Dan and Emma is very apparent, and has been repeated multiple times. I know its frusturating, it annoys me too, but it’s the way that it is, and frankly everytime i see an article like this i can almost hear the moans about why Rupert wasn’t mentioned. I’m sorry to be harsh- but guys, we know its not fair, but do we have to keep repeating it? It’s not going to chance anytime soon, I don’t think.

Avatar Image says:

I think Emma is by far the best of the 3 at acting so far as I’ve seen. She wasn’t in the first film but I think she’s flown right on by both of the other 2(don’t get me wrong, they’ve all improved vastly).

Dan is the big star, Harry Potter, no brainer why he’s on the list whether he deserves it or not. Emma is the only female of the trio and as such it probably garners her more attention from the so-called pundits who come up with this crap(..and I think she deserves it most out of the 3 of them)...soooo…unless Rupert had done something fantabulous, he was bound to be left off…even though he more than deserves the recognition.

Avatar Image says:

I love how EW puts Emma on their list after they claimed her acting was one of the shortcomings of the 5th film.

Avatar Image says:

@anne: I don’t mean to be rude, but I think it’s because Rupert did that as a young kid. Emma didn’t even have anything else to look at before Ballet Shoes. And I’ve never heard mention of Daniel’s appearances in The Tailor of Panama or David Copperfield.

@Lilibeth: Have to agree with you on the “pretty young things,” I mean, Miley Cyrus AND Jessica Alba? Ugh, it’s a nightmare for me. But I think both lists are pretty strong. The best the girls have: Scarlett Johansson, Natalie Portman, Ellen Page, Kristen Stewart, Emily Blunt, Keira Knightley, Saoirse Ronan, Evan Rachel Wood, America Ferrara, Rosario Dawson, Abbie Cornish, and Ginnifer Goodwin. The best the guys have: James McAvoy (robbed of an Oscar), Michael Cera, Gael Garcia Bernal, Elijah Wood, Paul Dano, Joseph Gordon Levitt, Jake Gyllenhaal, Emile Hirsch, Jason Schwartzman, Seth Rogen, Ryan Gosling, and Shia LaBouef.

Avatar Image says:

reality check for the Rupert lovers. He did not get the best reviews for ‘Driving Lessons”. That movie got mixed reviews and Rupert may have fared better actingwise in that movie but it’s still not outstanding to make him noticed by the world and by the media. As for being more successful, lol, both DB and DL got almost the same boxoffice total, which means to say that both films bombed at the boxoffice. rofll…

Just accept it folks, Rupert’s a third wheel. He doesn’t have the looks and the talent to be on par with Dan and Emma. The equality of the trio is a myth.

Avatar Image says:

“Oh, what about Rupert?!?” “It’s not fair!” “He is a better actor by far!” “Totally unfair!” “What’s so special about Emma anyway??” “Ruper is cuter!” “Ruper got more good reviews” “I prefer Ruper!!” “Dan’s scenes are bad!” “Why is Ruper always left out??!!” “unfair, unfair, UNFAIR!!”

Me: (sigh) Oh, man…

I don’t know if I should laugh or cry… Okay, I’ll try and get you out of that pit despair you seem to be in by pointing out some facts….

1) Dan is the lead boy, Emma is the lead girl. So it’s understandable that they are mentionned more often. Stop viewing that as something personal AGAINST Rupert. 2) Rupert’s part is less serious, more “goofy” and goofy characters are less easily considered hot. It’s a fact, a psychological phenomenon. It’s all a matter of image. Cute is probably the most appropriate term but not “hot”. For exemple, Han Solo was hot. Luke was cute. Got it? If you don’t I won’t even bother to explain it further. 3) Hotness has nothing to do with talent. It’s unfair but it’s a sad characteristic of our society. 4) You can’t compare the talent of actors playing such different part. For example, Harry Potter is a part that is much more easy to mess up, because first he’s the main character and that’s a much more emotional and complex part to play. So you might as well compare Rambo with Snow White. 5) You you PLEASE stop the “in my opinion he’s a better actor!” or “I think he’s hotter!”. Guys, when you like someone, you always think he’s better, hotter, sexier or whatever. And I hope you realize it’s not objective. 6) You know, you don’t have to bring Dan and Emma down because they were chosen over your favorite actor/character. Even though such behaviour is understandable, that makes you sound like some jealous children who are put out their fav got less attention. 6) Will you one day stop all those “What about Rupert??” every single time Dan and Emma are mentioned?? This is annoying as hell!! I mean, it’s unavoidable: I see their names and I’m thinking to myself “Oh no, I bet we’ll hear from Rupert’s fans yet AGAIN!!” Have mercy on us!!

Avatar Image says:

@Evelyne I applaud your comment! Exactly the sort of thing I would write if I could be bothered anymore.

@LLMM, actually I wasn’t counting David Copperfield or TofP because they predate HP and they won’t hold much sway in his post HP career. If you read the reviews on Amazon re David Copperfield, Dan (aged 9) gets amazing reviews, is considered one of the strengths of the production. With Thunderpants I was just pointing out that every actor does forgettable things, but fans tend to brush over the embarrassments.

as for DL, I rate Rupert better in it than Emma was in Ballet Shoes; some of her scenes were good but some quite weak, but really she was simply outstripped by her two young costars for most of it (who were fantastic). I had a few problems with Ballet Shoes, insipid production, adult acting lacklustre (except Eileen Atkins). DL by contrast I hated because it was overacted by Julie Walters (who I normally love) and that is my main problem with it.

Avatar Image says:

Evelyne: “Emma is the lead girl.”

And therein lies the root of the problem. Emma should not be the lead girl more than Rupert should be the lead boy. If the movies hadn’t screwed up the trio balance and their roles so greatly, Rupert would be getting the attention he deserves. Maybe we shouldn’t be blaming the media but instead should be blaming the movies for perpetuating this view.

Personally I have no problem with Dan making these lists and not Rupert. He’s Harry, it’s a far larger part and should be. Emma is another story entirely. But as I said above, I blame the movies themselves. I actually think Emma does fine with the material she’s given, but I have my doubts as to if she could handle playing Hermione if she were written in the script as she is in the books. She’s a far more emotional character, for one and Emma’s range is imho limited as of right now. I do think Rupert could handle an accurate Ron though.

saoirse: No. The equality of the trio is not a myth in the books, and I don’t think anyone is saying they’re equal in the movies. They’re not, but they should be and that’s the complaint. As for looks and talent. Mmkay, your opinion is yours. Rupert does get better reviews for his acting though than Emma- in HP and otherwise. DL didn’t get glowing reviews, but in general his acting in it was well commended.

Avatar Image says:

If Bonnie Wright was used in the movies more, I’d say she and Rupert would be your supporting actors/actresses (along with Matt and now Evanna), but Dan and Emma are the leads. Not just for their movie portrayal as strong characters, but they have a natural chemistry together (and is one factor for H/Hr ships). Remember also, this is a press magazine, and who do you usually see doing the press junkets with a lot of energy? No offense to Rupert, but he’s much more laid back and quiet…I remember one press bit with the three of them where Dan was trying to toss things his way and Rupert would give short answers.

Plus, the press would love a good actor love story, and they seem to see something in Dan and Emma, despite the “anvils” that it would be Ron/Hermione. And not just asking about H/Hr, but about Dan and Emma dating (I know Regis at least has asked each of them twice on his show).

Of course, based on all this, you know there’s one DH moment that’s going to make it to the movie…The Horcrux H/Hr Kiss. I can’t see the producers leaving out the one moment where they can get Dan and Emma to smooch on screen. :)

Avatar Image says:

KenM, boy do i ever want to see that kiss! d/e= smokin’!

I agree with the poster who said that the ladies list was weak. I wasn’t familiar with a good number of them but the thing is, there aren’t that many great roles for females, as opposed to the guys- Helen Mirren recently made a comment to that effect. As such, I can see Emma doing roles like Keira Knightly et al. She’s a young ingenue among other young ingenues and such qualified. Rupert on the other hand is among many, many young actors and doesn’t have anything on his plate except a minor role in HP (which was very minor in OotP to the point of being background= to Emma’s role (she also had a very small part -read the reviews, it wasn’t just rupert) . No one is going to consider what he did 3 or 4 years ago, and why should they? It is no longer relevant. The guys listed all had other stuff on their plate and have buzz. There are also a ton of other guys they could have easily listed but didnt’, so crying to the magazine isn’t going to help. As for choosing these guys on the basis of their looks, well, far be it from me to disagree with you tthat Jason Schwartzman and those 2 fat guys are better looking than rupert….oO…okay, remember you said it lol!

Oh yeah, i’m also irritated by these guys who are always raining on Dan and Emma’s parade. I’m calling these guys “Pooperts” Apt, or what!

Avatar Image says:

I think what hurts Rupert is that after DL, things have dried up for him. He’s really done nothing since. Thus he didn’t make the list. Hp is a given, no other projects outside of HP, hurts. Emma just had Ballet shoes where she got fantastic reviews from the critics. Same with Dan, he had My Boy Jack that did well. I relly didn;t like December Boys and it really didn’t get reviewed well, that may have stopped Dan being higher on the list. But my point is, both dan and Emma have other projects outside of HP. Dan as Equus on broadway and Emma Despereaux, which is going to be highly promoted and rumored to be pushed for Oscar consideration. You’ll even be able to get Princess Pea dolls and bedroom comforters. LOL. So yeah, when Rupert does more projects and people know him more than Ron, he’ll get more recognition. But it’s not Dan and Emma’s fault. Congrats to both of them. They seem like two very well adjusted teenagers. It’s nice to see them getting attention more than the attention seeking Lohans, hiltons, etc.

Avatar Image says:

Go DAN and EMMA!!! Next year they’re going to be much higher up on the list! I can’t believe Frodo was higher up on the list than Dan. No way! lol. I love Elijah, but I love DAN alot more!

Avatar Image says:

I agree with your first sentence taz, that Dan and Emma have recent (ie this coming and last year) stuff besides HP and Rupert is lacking both.

but umm, I am completely baffled as to how you ‘push’ something for Oscar consideration before it’s even been made/ released or reviewed! Are you trying to tell me the Oscars are all a fix right from the start!? :o/

okay I knew they were already but you really don’t need to make it so obvious! :)

also where did you see these ‘fantastic’ or even good Ballet Shoes reviews in the newspapers? I didn’t see any, certainly not ones about Emma (the other girls, now that’s a different matter). There weren’t many reviews at all from what I saw, and (before I carry on, I must be fair to the show, the reviewers I read were all men so kind of biased against it from the start) they did sort of dismiss it as a cloying sticky toffee type of affair.

by the way, you are forgetting Dan’s well reviewed run on Equus last year, which EW seems to have noticed in the list.

Avatar Image says:

There are loads of reviews at emmawatson.net. She got some amazing reviews. In fact, didn’t see one that was negative on the net. Some men didn’t like the movie on a whole but whatever. Despereuax is getting a good early buzz, mainly because of the cast and the book is really great and well respected. I’ve even read recently one critic that said if the movie is about as good as the book it should be up for picture of the year. Plus the date it’s being released is obvious. most pics that the studios want for oscar consideration are opened at the end of the year, so they won’t be forgotten by oscar voters. I really looking forward to the adaption myself, one of my favorite books. I would put it over HP as my most anticipated personally.

Avatar Image says:

Despereuax is an animated film. If anything it would win Best Animated Picture.

Avatar Image says:

@anne: I just mentioned those two movies of Daniel’s and compared them to the lack of mention of Thunderpants, because both were such early movies in the two actors’ careers. I think that happens to any actor. For example, I’m a fan of James McAvoy but I definitely don’t know his earlier work as well as I do his more recent stuff. But I get your point. I wouldn’t dream of Daniel going on about Gary Oldman’s performance in The Scarlet Letter (horrible movie).

I agree with you on the whole DL and Ballet Shoes thing. There were some points in Ballet Shoes where Emma was so genuine, and I wish that she could portray that in the HP films. But she mostly overacted, and I agree that her costars outshined her. I think Rupert shows great promise, but he won’t come into his own until the HP films are done. Then he’ll be on his own and fans won’t be able to blame Dan and Emma anymore. He can do it.

Avatar Image says:

I can’t wait to see who’s where of these three in five or ten years. I think it could very well be a very different story. I tend to think Daniel will still be in the movie/theatre business, but I’m not so sure about Emma, if her performances to date are any indication. Rupert seems to be the sort of person who’ll be there IF he chooses to be. Any roles he’s done, he’s done well (his Ron is superb and very canon-based, in spite of the script trying to depict him otherwise). On the other hand, Rupert’s not as much into the superficial glitz and sparkle of the business, so he may choose to live mostly on all the money he’s made in his young life so far, and contribute something more important to the world. Only time will tell, as they say.

Avatar Image says:

@enzie I can sort of see Rupert doing well on UK television dramas and indy films in the future. That doesn’t require glitz but it does require talent. Dan I can see on the stage, even Shakespeare in his 30s, period dramas on TV or indy films. Dan will become more low key like Rupert I think; he’s got an intelligent attitude towards his career and knows the glitz isn’t going to last and that he’ll have to work hard to build a reputation. Emma, I just don’t know.

@LLMM ok, cool, though I wish David Copperfield did get mentioned more as it is definitely a positive in his portfolio. :)

@taz Thanks for the link. But um… I found only three proper reviews there: the FT and Scotsman ones are good; you realize The Telegraph one is tongue in cheek, esp. with the irony at the end? There are negative ones, two in the Times (the ‘sticky toffee’ one plus another), a middling Daily Record, and the almost angry Guardian one. They’re not dreadful, but they’re hardly complimentary. So with that average I’d say middling, not amazing or fantastic. Sorry, I’m not wanting to be mean, I quite enjoyed it and thought Emma had some really good moments; her Shakespeare audition I thought was beautifully done.

I still don’t get this ‘pics that the studios want for oscar consideration’ bit! That just isn’t how award nominations should come about. You don’t plant a movie for consideration. You make a good movie. That makes the American film industry seem really cynical.

Avatar Image says:

At the end of the day, Rupert is a better actor then Dan and Emma combined and James, Oliver and Mathew are all way better looking and are probably better actors then Dan if given the chance. So why oh why were they included in this list?

Avatar Image says:

Kerrie, that is only YOUR opinion, certainly not mine nor others. I do not think rupert is a better actor and I say Dan is the best looking actor in the crew and that includes the women ! Dan and Emma are obviously included in that list because they are among those actors that seem to hae bright futures, other prospects in the future.

Why, oh why should you even say such a nonsensical thing? Obviously, They have done nothing to deserve being on this particular list.

Avatar Image says:

radcakesfan, that is only YOUR opinion, certainly not mine nor others.

(Isn’t it interesting that some people believe their opinion is the only valid one there is, when there are so many more out there?)

Avatar Image says:

why do some of you complain because rupert’s fans point out the obvious. ?not every one is putting dan or emma down because they made “the list”. i’m sure if the shoe were on the other foot, dan and emma fans would be screaming like banshis about the complete lack of recognition. so please don’t cop a holier than thou attitude when it comes to rupert being constantly overlooked. his fans are only making thier voices heard. if it annoys you, here’s an idea, just skip over it.

O here comes Kerrie, the Rupert lover. lol

My dear, at the end of the day that “Rupert is the better actor” is only your opinion. Very very minor compared to the opinion of the great many others, like this website who does not seem to think that Rupert is a good actor . And at the end of the day, it is the opinion of the media and the critics which hold more sway. This site even included some actors I’ve never heard of before. Instead of Rupett, HOw come they’ included Elijah Kelly who is practically a nobody and is just supporting like Rupert? Figure that out…

Avatar Image says:

@radcakesfan: You know what’s nonsensical? Shipping people. (“d/e= smokin’!”) That and HHR.

Avatar Image says:

Am I late on this “Rupert is shafed again” thread? lol. same old arguments…

BTW, I don’t think there is any rank on this list. When I click on the link, it just says photo #1 or Photo#25. THose are not ranks. THey are just the order of the pics. Otherwise EW just gave Scarlett Johanssen the top award – the honor of being the #1 young actress today. which is a laugh because she’s good – but not that good.

And I agree that the Actor’s list is tougher than the Female list. Some of those “actresses” are just there cause they’re popular. Although kudos to them for not including Vanessa Hudgens on the Top Actress list. Or was she?

Avatar Image says:

Maybe these actors were not really ranked and these picturesare just random. But IF they are really ranks, then maybe a good explanation would be because this is an american mag. THe HP actors are almost at the bottom of the list and Rupert, not there at all. Hey, even Freddie Highmore is not there and I consider him one of the best young actors we have today. If they can include Abigal Breskin who’s only 11, why not HIghmore who is 14?

Avatar Image says:

Enzie, you bet there are other opinions out there. Hairy Potter, I agree, why don’t people either say congrats, or don’t read this thread if they don’t like what they read? Complain on rupert sites , not on a thread where congratulations should be offered out. Why spoil it for emma and Dan fans , or the actors themselves? Gen, it’s called on screen chemistry! and canon. evil h/hr DO kiss! and a lot of people can’t wait. (why are r/hr r/e shippers so scared of this kiss?) Jasmine, I agree. it’s not a numerical list, as James McEvoy is quite down on the list as well. Rupert and the other guys don’t belong on this list because they have minimal roles in the last HP movies esp. compared to the Harry role, and haven’t other film work that the world is aware of. If it wasn’t for HP, Rupert would be considered a hasbeen in hollywood terms. At least Emma has/ is studying for her A levels (as is Matt, I believe) and has been working on other projects. I’m sure rupert has been busy golfing or something, but that isn’t going to get him on this list, sad to say.

Avatar Image says:

Congrats to Dan and Emma!

Avatar Image says:

“(why are r/hr r/e shippers so scared of this kiss?)”

R/Hr shippers have no reason to be afraid of ‘this (evil H/Hr) kiss’ because DH, especially the epilogue, tells the world it’s completely meaningless. I agree R/E shippers should get a life and let the actors have theirs, as should the D/E shippers.. But how is that even remotely related to this topic?

Avatar Image says:

Chelsea, I doubt that just because Rupert’s not on the list that means that EW thinks he’s a bad actor and Emma’s great. I mean they put her performance in OotP on their “Ham and Cheese: Performances You Can’t Support.” Quote time:

“I hate to be critical of someone so young, but Emma Watson as Hermione in Harry Potter (pictured, with Daniel Radcliffe) tends to annoy me with all her heavy sighs and eye rolling.”

Yeah, that sounds like a raving review.

Avatar Image says:

@Laura: I think Emma just gets all the hype and all these awards, not because of any possible talent she possesses, but because of her fame. She’s the only girl lead, and she’s Hermione (or as close as we’ll get). Plus, the fact that recently she’s been attending all these glamourous events helps. Dan’s place on that list is qualified, but I don’t think Emma’s is. I mean, Hannah Montana’s on there! She doesn’t do serious acting, she has a large fanbase, and she’s always dressing up to go somewhere. Sounds like Emma. Personally, I don’t think Emma had that hard of a job portraying Pauline in Ballet Shoes, because I think she was just portraying herself. As for Rupert, it’s not a surprise, but I’m not gonna whine about it.

Avatar Image says:

I think Emma wishes to be an a proper actress, but the reality is that she’s just a movie star. I don’t see her becoming a Laura Linney or Emma Thompson. I don’t think Emma got in it for the fame, because she seems to truly love performing, but I just don’t think she’s a natural like Ellen Page. (See Hard Candy, complete opposite of her role in Juno. Now that’s versatility.) I would commend her on her awards if she had improved since Movie 1, like Dan definitely has, but I don’t think she has. She’s just been stuck in the same place ever since.

Laura,

That was sent in by a fan girl to EW. it wasn’t a critics review. If it makes all you feel better to criticize Emma – go for. Opinions don’t matter anyways, Everybody has one. I could point out one actual crtic that said Emma proved herself to be incredibly talented in Ballet Shoes. One said she stepped out of Hermione’s shadows. She got really good reviews. Fact is, people like her. They respect her. That’s why she was on the list. Complain all you want but Rupert isn’t and most likely never will be on this list until he does something to stand out. And if he hasn’t stood out after 5 Potter films, it ain’t looking good.

Avatar Image says:

Regarding this silly bickering about Dan vs Rupert: When Rupert stars in a successful West End play, appears in a critically acclaimed television movie, shows up for an appearance on a hugely popular comedy show, and takes on a role in an indie film that’s released in the same year as all of the above….as well as carries the lead in one of the most successful film franchises of all time….all in the SAME YEAR….then perhaps he’ll be included in a list like this one.

As for Emma…. I don’t know…being in the States, I haven’t had the chance to see Ballet Shoes yet, so I have no idea if she can do anything other than Hermione, which, by the way, I think she’s perfectly fine at doing, although she could be better. But perhaps she was included because the folks at EW see serious potential in her, more than her actual work so far shows.

But all this bickering over why Rupert is never included in these lists…frankly, if he wants to be, he needs to put forth a little more effort. I see that effort in Dan, and to a slightly lesser extent, in Emma. No matter how talented Rupert is-and I think he’s enormously talented-he’s got to do more than HP in order to be considered a ‘hot young actor under 30’ by the media, no matter what the viewiing public thinks of him. That’s the bottom line. It’s not what we think of him that counts, but what the media thinks of him. And if he doesn’t do much of anything…they can’t THINK much of anything.

Avatar Image says:

Sigh. I didn’t mean to draw a line through that statement above…I DO think Rupert is enormously talented. He’s got talent by the bucketload. He just needs to start doing something with it.

@Trix: Did you skim my comment, ‘cos I think you missed this sentence:

“As for Rupert, it’s not a surprise, but I’m not gonna whine about it.”

Avatar Image says:

Oops, meant to say say I agreed with that quote. Anyway, I never said I didn’t like her or respect her. I just think there’s more talented actresses out there.

Avatar Image says:

Rupert did a successful movie. Actually, his was the most successful, got the best reviews, and was the most widely released and critically acclaimed out of all the movies.

I think Dan is amazing, his acting goes above and beyond, and I know he’ll move me in MBJ when it airs on PBS

But Emma? I mean, come on. She’s got enormous potential, but she hasn’t done anything besides be Hermione…for which she gets mixed reviews, and a made for television movie that only those in Britain saw.

She will be great, but doesn’t deserve to be considered best among her peers.

And I think that if EW thinks she deserves to be on that list, Rupert deserves to be on it twice.

It’s not a Dan vs. Rupert vs. Emma thing. It’s a…if Dan and Emma then Rupert thing. He’s just as good.

Avatar Image says:

Why am I not suprised that someone managed to turn this article into a chance to ship HHr.

Avatar Image says:

I’m just gonna throw this out there to remind everyone of some thing.

These kids are all barely or under 20 years old. They have another decade to find themselves on this list which, they probably don’t really care all that much about considering right now (literately right now as I type this at 4pm PST on a Sunday) they are probably in the middle of a scene, in make-up or sleeping (what with England’s time difference and all). Not to mention the fact that between the three of them, for the film they are currently making, my senior year in college could not only be paid by their pay checks…I could pay for the rest of the students going here as well. For the rest of time. I don’t think Rupert Grint is all that concerned because he was left off some blaze list that Entertainment Weekly wrote. I think he’s a little more concerned with making sure he’s got the whole “making Quidditch look real” thing while Dan’s concerned with “making it look like he care’s about Quidditch” thing (Since we all know how much he looooves doing those scenes).

The bottom line is, if these kids (and I do stress KIDS) stop working after Deathly Hollows (which they most likely won’t since Daniel has already signed on to do another film which makes me wonder if the boy actually sleeps or just powers down for an hour a day) they’ll still be forever in cinema history as “the trio”. As far as the Biz is concerned, those kids have already made it. Hell, they made it the second Sorcerer’s Stone came out and that was when…2001? I’m pretty sure that a list, that left off a LOT of people (since if you look at the women side, the most successful under 30 women ever have been the Olsen twins but since they’re just chillin’ (as they should be) they aren’t on it either (and I highly doubt they care)) isn’t really keeping them up at night. And if it is, they’ve got a slew of really rounded, well accomplished actors by their sides to smack them upside the head and tell them to get over it.

I’m sure Alan Rickman will more than be willing to do the job.

Avatar Image says:

I just think Emma Watson is a terrible actress > She's never Hermione > She annoys me so much with her eyesbrown . That’s just my opinion > I'm not Rupert' fan or Dan' fan > I just hate Emma because of her bad acting >,<

Avatar Image says:

Well of course. That’s logical, Beckett. I agree with everything you’ve said.

But I didn’t think this list was about money or success…I thought it was about acting ability.

of course they will become more talented with age…but how are they NOW, which is what the article addressed.

i guess it’s not as bad as having Miley Cyrus and Zac Effron on it.

Avatar Image says:

@EruditeWitch: That’s a perfect summary of how many on this board feel. And I’m starting to find myself annoyed with the “well, Rupert doesn’t have any future projects” or “DL is old news” opinionators. That doesn’t take away from his talent. Before Ballet Shoes was even a project for Emma, I’m sure many of you still believed she was talented and has loads of potential. So excuse us Rupert fans for believing in our guy.

Avatar Image says:

If Rupert wants to continue in the field, maybe he should get:

a) a new agent so that he gets more auditions or scripts; or b) acting lessons (yes, I think he’s talented but he could do better) so that he wins the auditions or scripts; or c) tutoring on how to talk to the media.

Maybe once one or more of these things happen, the press will pay more attention to him and he’ll appear on these lists. While I don’t think these lists are the “be all and end all”, they are a mark of what the people in the industry think. And those are the people who cast movies and give projects attention.

One important thing, though – did anyone ever consider whether he wants to continue in acting? Maybe, just maybe, he doesn’t. I like Rupert – I think he has loads of potential, but maybe this acting thing is not his bag?

Avatar Image says:

While we all speculate about what Rupert is going to do post Harry Potter (I’d love to see him continue but hey I’m just one person) I’d just like to give him credit for being relatively normal.

Yes, he doesn’t have the greatest media skills. But that doesn’t really have anything to do with him not having media training. If you look at his interviews during junkets, he does rather well. He’s just not the type of individual to jump into the spot light. Good for him. It means less people will bug him on the streets when they see him during his off time.

And no, he hasn’t done all that much in between the Harry Potter films. Good for him. I personally can’t believe Dan Radcliff has done quite as much as he has done. I’m rather worried that he’s going to either burn out far to fast for someone who looks like they could be a rather amazing talent, or when it comes time for him to want a real break, get scrutinized for it. Rupert, in my opinion, seems to be taking the time off in between the Harry Potter films to be a normal teen. I rather commend him for that.

The HP films are rather unique in the fact that they take much longer to film than most (October to May is a much longer time period than most, which usually take only about 4 months) and that’s only principle production. These films are intense, grueling and are very physical. They involve wizard fight scenes and these kids are tested with each film. If Rupert doesn’t feel like churning out 13 thousand other projects in the short time he has off in between them, who are we to argue and complain? Quite frankly, I probably wouldn’t want to either. I’d want to chill in my home in England and drive my ice cream truck the same way he does.

After all, he only has a short time where he can just hang around and be Ron Weasley. Afterwards people are going to expect him to either chose to do other projects or do something else entirely. Why not enjoy the break while he has it?

So Rupert, from me to you, rock out. Take breaks, be normal. I like the fact that I don’t know everything about you, that you aren’t at every party and that I have yet to run into you at a club in Hollywood on the weekends.

It’s a nice change from some of the people I have run into.

Article in the Mirror saying Russell Brand wants Dan in his movie

Cool!

Avatar Image says:

@radcakesfan: Actually, Russell says he wanted Daniel, but he thought Dan couldn’t take the alcohol, women, etc.

Avatar Image says:

congratulation!!! that is really great i hope that there will be more project for emma watson and daniel radcliffe but i want them to be together and act as a loveteam or something that is romantic!!!! does anybody know if they are really together??? pls answer my question…..

Avatar Image says:

Gen, I don’t think they’ll use actual alcohol and drugs in the movie! Oy, if they did, it’d probably never get finished. He does say later that he is determined to get all 4 names on board but while 2 have provisionally said yes, Dan has yet to sign on. Anyways they’d need a script first and probably financing/producing stuff to settle. Still he said he wanted Dan and that’s music to my ears! This would be so different from what he’s done. That’s exactly what I want to hear.

Avatar Image says:

I didn’t get the negativity for Zac Efron and Miley Cyrus for being on this list. They are both very hard workers from what I can see, and keeping their noses clean so far. Zac has project after project and until Miley hits her twenties and thirties, she’s probably the go to girl for teen movies. There were quite a few girls on that list that i’m not familiar with at all, but they’re lookers and will have projects because they are young ingenues, like Emma. All of these young kids are getting practice with every project they do, and the trio especially are under pressureto do Oscar winning projects . Those are rare and inbetween and I don’t think the other young stars have such high expectations. They should be able to do little projects and spread their wings, much like these other young people are able to do because they are under the radar. Very few movies are Brokeback Mountain successful. Justy saying.

Avatar Image says:

I really can’t find Dan Rad or Emma special. They really try so hard every moment on screen … really unnatural

Avatar Image says:

Maybe that’s just my opinion! I feel Dan’ character is supported so good but he can’t steal full of it . In OOtp , when he cried, I couldn’t feel any emotion. I feel he just try to act … he’s not Harry!

Avatar Image says:

If Rupert’s fans are fine with him taking his time developing his career, living a “normal life”, if Rupert’s fans love him for being quite, not courting limelight, not putting himself out there, not playing up to the media, then they should also be fine with him not getting much recognition. Rupert is in a very competitive business where actors are here today and gone tomorrow, and talent alone is just not enough. (Also, it’s not as if Rupert is the only talent young actor around). So, if he doesn’t want to put himself out there and his fans are fine with that, then what are we arguing about?, why should the media be taken to task because they notice people who are “out there” more? If your child who sings very well doesn’t feel like going for the singing try-out and you, as parent ,are fine with that, would you blame teachers for not selecting your child for a school play?

This is nothing to do with Rupert, it’s about his fan’s ambivalent attitude.

And the list is up to 30, so for all we know he may be 31.

Avatar Image says:

Ok maybe Rupert’ fans feel sad because he’s always overlooked ==> I don’t think it’ll make a big deal :D

Though I like Rupert a little ==> He’s only actor whom I can stand

Avatar Image says:

” If Rupert doesn’t feel like churning out 13 thousand other projects in the short time he has off in between them, who are we to argue and complain?”

There you have it. So Rupert fans should quit asking for the moon and just understand why Rupert is not on any list. He hasn’t done much and the litle he has done didn’t warrant him enough attention to become part of some lists.

Avatar Image says:

“He hasn’t done much and the litle he has done didn’t warrant him enough attention to become part of some lists”

How about : “He has done many projects but It’s not special. He can still get everything , can’t he????” I don’t think so ==> It’s not the main reason for the truth there re always Dan and Emma … Dan and Emma …

Beckett,

There was a year between OOTP and HBP, and Rupert said he was hoping to do something else (that was from an interview for DL, I believe). It could be that he just wants to chill, it could be that he hasn’t been chosen for projects, or it could be that he doesn’t want to be an actor.

Who knows – he’s not going to tell. Maybe he’ll take some time off and come back in a few years time. But if he doesn’t do projects, he’s not going to be on the entertainment radar.

As for Dan, I hope he doesn’t burn out, either. Apparently, he says he’s taking time off after HBP. I’ll believe it when I see it. :)

None of these kids seems to waste their time on clubs and such (though I’m not sure about Emma – I think she might end up liking the scene quite a bit…). I mean, they have their fun but they try to do it out of the limelight and for that they all deserve credit!

Avatar Image says:

Well Rupert did something between GoF and OotP. Why didn’t Emma? She’s in a competative business and should put herself out there. She did a 6 week project, the equivalent of a Lifetime movie, in between OotP and HPB. Rupes did a bigger project witha bigger audience between GoF and OotP. How is his less? Because he did it two years ago? If you’re going to fault Rupert for not doign something before HBP, then you have to fault Emma for not doing something before OotP.

You see how that’s a double standard?

My problem isn’t about Rupert not getting picked, it’s about an article pretending to gage talent when really they gage fame. It’s all about who looks best in the designer dresses and who captures the headlines.

Maybe they should put up a list of the MOST TALENTED under 30. Rupes would be on that one.

Avatar Image says:

Difference is that Emma was and is a full time student. Rupert got 2 gcses and emma got , what , 11? It’s okay for Rupert to take a year off and do nothing and you razz Emma for taking a summer off when she was doing school , gcses, sports, extracurricular activities ? Rupert is TWO YEARS older, and he has had a ton of free time compared to the other two for the last 3 years. Emma is just beginning to have some free time.

I disagree that that article is about who captures the headlines. I don’t think Britney spears, lindsay lohan or paris Hilton were listed and they are under 30. You cannot compare Emma being on a girls list when there is a difference between the sexes. The criteria are different. In 30 years, there would probably be a different list as roles for older women are few and far between. There are still much better and more roles for men even now for younger men than women and so there are many, many actors to compare. Simply put, show us what rupert has done recently outside of HP to show us he deserves to be on that list. Do not count projects he did 3 or 4 years ago. Current list please. Oh and most talented? That’s a pretty subjective list too. How about a list of those people want to see? still subjective.

Avatar Image says:

And who knows what Rupes was doing with his free time? How is it any less valuable than school? He has a big family, and he’s close with them, maybe he would rather spend time with them in between films.

It’s a very unfair double standard. Emma does school, so it’s okay if she takes time off? But in order for Rupert to even be considered to you naysayers, he must work constantly?

And the fact that Jessica Alba and Miley Cyrus were on that list shows that it’s more about who’s hot, not who’s talented. Yes, there are some greats on that, like Ronan…but it’s not all about talent.

Of course talent would be subjective, but at least then the attention that these people get it more warranted and deserved.

Avatar Image says:

@radcakesfan: I’m just quoting the article you posted:

Russ told us: “I originally wanted to get an actor to play me and toyed with the idea of Daniel Radcliffe.

“But I thought he wouldn’t be able to take all the drink.

“Or the drugs or fraternising with women. So I thought I should do it.”

Avatar Image says:

@radcakesfan: I just want to mention that I don’t think he means the actual substances or women, I think he means Dan’s acting. I think he’s saying he doesn’t think Dan could accurately portray that.

Avatar Image says:

Listen, radcakesfan, I’m not trying to downplay Emma’s accomplishments (‘cos we all know what she’s acheived is admirable), but school is not an excuse. Take Cynthia Nixon for example (she’s Miranda from Sex and the City). She grew up doing loads of projects while still enrolled in high school. Her teacher used to preach to students who hadn’t turned in their homework, saying that Cynthia had and that she doing a project in Europe! She made theatrical history while a freshman at Barnard College in 1984, simultaneously appearing in two hit Broadway plays directed by Mike Nichols. Now, as we’ve all heard Dan say, plays are grueling work. Imagine two! Not only two, but two successes. So if Emma’s the wonder kid we consider her to be, she sure could have done something. I remember reading somewhere that she had auditioned for some projects a year or so before Ballet Shoes, but she was not hired. I’m not trying to compare her to Rupert, I’m just answering this aspect of your comment. But I will say that it still hasn’t even been two years since DL was released (in October 2006).

P.S.-The reason why everyone’s so critical of Miley, Zac, and Jessica Alba is because, yes they are successful, but they’re mediocre. Jessica: I don’t even know what she’s playing at. Miley: is RICH, but definitely does not have an amazing vocal range or impressive acting skills. I’d say Emma’s much more talented than her. As for Zac: just saying his name should be enough proof. Have you seen the boy’s facial expressions when he thinks he’s acting? Compared to the likes of Shia LaBeouf (see A Guide to Recognizing your Saints), Paul Dano, Ellen Page, Kristen Stewart, etc. Or Jessica Alba compared to Reese Witherspoon, Kate Winslet, Chloë Sevigny, Samantha Morton, Michelle Williams, Amy Adams, or Rachel Weisz. They’re nothing special to look at (talent-wise, money-wise is a whole different story).

Avatar Image says:

“I remember reading somewhere that she had auditioned for some projects a year or so before Ballet Shoes, but she was not hired.”

^I just found the comment. It was in an interview with her in the Italian magazine “Donna,” as promotion for OotP:

Emma- Auditions are really hard, and being rejected is always a bad experience. But I’ll keep trying. Interviewer- Who rejected you? For which film? And who got the role instead? Emma- I’m not sure if I can tell… [speaking to her assistants:] Can I tell? No. But it was just a couple of them, not many!

Avatar Image says:

Emma Watson is very laughable for me. She can’t act at all, always try so hard to show her acting. When she cried, It made me want to scream: “What the f**k?”

I think Rupert and Dan are good!

Avatar Image says:

“How about : “He has done many projects but It’s not special. He can still get everything , can’t he????” I don’t think so ==> It’s not the main reason for the truth there re always Dan and Emma … Dan and Emma “

That’s a little confusing for me. lol. POint of fact: when Emma didn’t have any project outside HP (during the GOF time) and Rupert had “Driving Lessons”, she still appeared in more lists than Rupert. THat’s what I meant abut the “little he has done’. That movie went to many film festivals but looks like the critics weren’t impressed enough for Grint to become a household name all of a sudden.

That’s not meant to say that I thnk Emma is a better or a brilliant actress. She’s not. Shejust gets by like Rupert. But it looks like we have a shortage of really good young actresses cause look, they even included BYnes there. And we know she has even less talent than Emma. And MIley Cyrus? he he. The acting qualifications however of the boys are impressive. One or two missteps but fine all around.. Maybe that’s why Rupert is not there. The 30 spots are already filled.

Avatar Image says:

Fairylights, you cannot be serious. “School is not an excuse”???? I was already aware of what Cynthia Nixon did, but Emma did do some kind of dance thing at school, as well as sports and her gazillion courses. I imagine there was a little homework involved in that. She was also doing a little project called Harry Potter during her school years. I am also aware that she admitted to trying out for other projects and getting rejected. So? At least she was honest. Doesn’t mean she shouldn’t be on this list now. I am quite sure that all 3 have tried out for other projects and were probably rejected for one reason or another.

I believe DL came out in the spring of 2006 at the NY film fest and was filmed a year earlier in 2005? while Dan was doing his GCSEs and Emma the exams for the year before that. Ergo, 3 years. Shouldn’t you be wondering what Rupert was doing besides HP in all that time rather than nitpicking on what Emma was doing in what little spare time she had ? That is the reason why Rupert didn’t make the list.

As for whether one considers how talented the disney kids are or aren’t , they are all trying to strike while the iron is hot. I think Miley is rather overworked but hopefully she will not turn out to be a lindsey d’ohan. I agree with digimon where the ladies list is weaker and thus people shouldn’t be complaining what girls made the list and why Rupert didn’t. It is not the same at all, quite frankly.

Gen, about Russell brand, I am not that familiar with him or his autobiography, but if he is getting his contemporay to place his rival, and he himself isn’t that old, I don’t see why he would get someone else to play himself. He’s not dead, after all. He does say he still wants Dan though, so perhaps he wants him to portray himself at a younger age. (there’s a height difference right now too lol) Still, it’s the thought that he considered Dan at all, isn’t it ;D

Avatar Image says:

Oh yeah, i imagine Oxford isn’t exactly Broadway, or even the West End. How many productions at the same time would there have been and would she , with her HP commitments been even taken on?

Avatar Image says:

Just a final thought before I move on from this…

We all seem to be arguing about what these kids do during their time off. Since none of us know baring them coming out with a film, made for tv movie, play or what have you, there is going to be nothing but speculation. However I just thought I’d throw this out there so that everyone can (hopefully) put this to rest.

Just because you aren’t seen in anything doesn’t mean you aren’t being seen by those in the business. I go to a University that has a high ratio of actors and actors children that go here. I was lucky enough to befriend an actor who had just finished filming a very popular long running American television show during last year (I do go to school in the States). He was taking that year off since he would be graduating. When he came to class one day in the middle of reading a film script I asked him what it was, and why, since we had talked about him taking the year off. He told me that since he wasn’t going to be pursuing acting for the next year or so that didn’t mean he wasn’t going to audition. He still was going to be going on auditions for roles (no matter the size) to keep up his appearances so that those in the business don’t think that he has retired (He had been in the business since age 4).

Just because Rupert hasn’t come out with any large projects as of late, doesn’t mean that he may not want to act. He may still be going on auditions that we don’t know about. Heck, auditions happen every day and no one knows who goes out for what part until the cast has been announced and you find out who won the role. For all we know Rupert could be writing a script, novel, or play. Or he could just be relaxing.

Who are we to get all up in arms because he’s chosen to take time off? It’s just a list in Entertainment Weekly. Unless Rupert calls my cell phone tomorrow and tells me that he’s desperately upset about it, I’m not going to fret.

Though I’d still love the phone call.

Avatar Image says:

“I’m not trying to compare her to Rupert, I’m just answering this aspect of your comment.” <-I’m not wondering. The only Rupert comment I made was the following: “But I will say that it still hasn’t even been two years since DL was released (in October 2006).” That was only a correction, not an introduction to a whole new discussion. God, I try and keep it all about Emma, and then your side brings Rupert back into it just to complain about how you want him out. By the way, according to IMDB, the TriBeCa film festival (that NY film fest you referred to) showed DL in April 2006, but the release date of the film in the U.S. (in theaters) was October 2006. You don’t judge by film fest premiere, that would be that a lot more movies have been released a lot earlier (from an avid movie fan). Ex.: Little Miss Sunshine at Sundance or Paris Je T’aime at the Cannes film festival

“I’m not trying to downplay Emma’s accomplishments (‘cos we all know what she’s acheived is admirable).” I know the comment’s harsh (the “school is not an excuse” one), but she’s not the lead (Dan needs more energy than she does) so I figure we as fans must ask. And the comment about auditioning means that she was looking for projects = she had the time, but didn’t do anything.

“Now, as we’ve all heard Dan say, plays are grueling work. Imagine two! Not only two, but two successes.” <-To have to force out the great amount energy each day while still being enrolled in college…that is serious. Especially when many smart and talented girls, like young Reese Witherspoon or young Jennifer Connelly, were so distracted by their projects that they dropped out. Nixon didn’t and she graduated in 1988. I’m emphasizing multi-tasking. But correct me if I’m wrong, school does not run year round over there, does it? I’m not trying to be rude, but Emma does get breaks, right? If she doesn’t get summer off, then I admit you’re right, but if she does…

As for Disney kids, no that’s a excuse (I keep saying that, lol, but it’s true). Jodie Foster was a Disney kid. ‘Nuff said. Oh, and I agree that Miley’s overworked. But there you go again with Rupert. What do the Disney kids have to do with him? I’m just answering this question of yours: “I didn’t get the negativity for Zac Efron and Miley Cyrus for being on this list.” Yeah, they’ll have projects, but so will Paris Hilton. I think Emma’s more talented than the lot of them; Zac and Miley’s talent to me is not notable, it’s just financially in your face.

Avatar Image says:

I just remembered another Disney kid with great talent: Ryan Gosling, member of the Mickey Mouse Club.

Avatar Image says:

digimon: “critics weren’t impressed enough for Grint to become a household name all of a sudden.”

Critics don’t often make household names, people make people household names. Example: Freaks and Geeks, My So-Called Life, Wonderfalls, etc. I could keep going. All these shows were critically acclaimed and all these shows had only ONE season. It’s usually how you predict the death of a show. It’ll most likely get canceled if it’s critically acclaimed. Examples for people: “Entertainment Weekly” 30 Under 30 Lists. Most of the girls on there, the lesser known ones that people on this board kept saying they didn’t recognize, get great reviews. Gael Garcia Bernal on the guy’s side always gets great reviews and isn’t a big star; Edward Norton gets great reviews but people don’t know him like they do George Clooney or Matt Damon. Most people hadn’t known of Ellen Page, before Juno even though she was brilliant in Hard Candy. Until you have great COMMERCIAL success, you aren’t a movie star. You’re just an actor or an actress. Daniel Day-Lewis is an amazing actor, spot on each time, and I could tell you honestly that the smallest percentage of kids at my school actually know him.

Avatar Image says:

Fairylights, what is the point of your comments? Bad shows get cancelled too. Good shows with critical acclaim can get extended. George Clooney didn’t get on any of these lists til he was ancient and had years of doing little things under the radar. Ellen Page is hot right now and is being offered scripts right and left. She just left one project because she apparently didn’t like the script after all. Gael IS on this list, Ed Norton is very well known and over 30 and thus not on this list . What does any of these people have to do with this thread?

Why do you differentiate when DL came out? Rupert’s was done and finished and shown to the public in the spring and filmed the year before. It’s old news. No one cares anymore, except for his fans who hilariously enough, keep trying to revive it in threads elsewhere and everywhere.

Someone was mentioning Ruprt’s need to spend time with his family. Hmmm. Emma has a bigger, younger family- she’s the eldest of 7. I’m sure she and her parents felt absolutely no need for her to spend time with them. Especially since the toddlers live in London. Really , why would she want to get to know her littlest, character-developing siblings? It’s beyond me.

Yes, I suppose Emma shouldn’t be allowed a few weeks holiday after a year of school and extracurricular activities and working on HP . What was i thinking? But hang on, she DID do a project before starting this movie. I believe she did TWO!!! There you go.

You know, I’m not sure why you are harping on what Emma did with her time. She had far, far less time available than Rupert , and we don’t know why she didn’t get them. It is possible that she couldn’t fit it . That seems to be the reason rupert fans claim for rupert’s non shows and he had SIX plus months. That and his need for family time. Pity they don’t extend those needs to others .

What is irritating is for rupert fans to compare what the trio were doing in the same year despite the fact that all three are different ages and in a different stage of life. Rupert quit school at 16 and thus had lots of time to do other projects. Dan and Emma were still attending school . Until they turned 17, they were considered minors and possibly not allowed to make full decisions without their parents consent. Thus Dan and Emma may not have been allowed to do too much during their summers off . Dan only announced Equus after he had turned 17. Same with Emma. She only told us of trying out for different things during the press run for OOTP. Oh and let’s forget that it’s possibly difficult to get into Oxford or whatever university she might be aiming for. pfft. I’m sure it’s a walk in the park to get entry into those. Why try to do your best? Again, fairylights, why do you persist in bringing up what Cindy Nixon did in uni? A lot of people have jobs during University. Not really much difference there. Emma is trying to get into university.

Avatar Image says:

but isn’t this a discussion of star power versus critical acclaim?

Ellen Page is hot right NOW, but she has more than proven her talent to critics long before Juno.

So Rupert isn’t as hot as Dan and Emma, but he has gotten mounds of Critical Acclaim for everything he has done.

And Rupert is really close with his family. I didn’t know Emma had seven siblings, I don’t really know that much about the stars. But I do know that he has said over and over again how close he is with his siblings. So I would not be surprised if he chose to lounge about at home with them.

It doesn’t make him any less talented. Just less famous. And I don’t know about you guys, but fame isn’t really as important as doing your job well.

If you go to the following link, you will find that even the biggest critics from the best tomes in the industry have only nice things to say about Rupert in any project. That’s enough for me.

Avatar Image says:

I think that both Dan/Emma have deserved to be on that list because they have improved much better in acting .

I also think that Rupert has improved himself much better in acting . I really think its unfair that Rupert again is left out he really deserved to be on that list to .

But we can’t do anything about it so we have to accept it.

Avatar Image says:

For goodness sake, Where’s Rupert?!

Avatar Image says:

oddly enough, that’s exactly what his fans were asking while Dan was off filming DB, doing Equus, MBJ, Extras.. That’ s what was mentioned by many a critic regarding his and Emma’s minimalist roles in the last HP.; not Dan’s fault obviously, but due to the constraints of time and plot for the movie. It is also why he didn’t get on this list.

I would mention that this is an american list, so there’s going to be obviously more americans on. If it was a british list, there certainly would have been different girls and boys on that list.

Avatar Image says:

This makes me so mad! I didn’t even know that Emma had won too. Dan and Emma always get awards like this and Rupert is always left out.

He gets ’ Random and Odd ’ awards for him having the best hair…..

REALLY!? WTF!!!

I’m all for his hair, I have a unhealthy obsession for redheads and I think Rupe’s is hot, But come on people!

Now I don’t mean any disrespect to Dan and Emma, they are all wonderful and the Fact that Dan wins Awards back to back shows wonderful potential. And yeah Dan is hot and Emma is beautiful too…

But, hell Rupert’s worth being mentioned too and not just for his Damn Hair!

Avatar Image says:

Rose: This is not an award…It´s simply a magazines list over who they think are the 30 hottest celebrities under the age of 30.

Avatar Image says:

@radcakesfan: I was talking about how critics don’t “make household names.” (I was only responding to digimon’s claim that critics create movie stars.) Like for example, you said you didn’t know half the people on those lists. The unfamiliar ones tend to be the ones with good reviews but no fame. Read comments properly and I won’t have to respond anymore. Gael is not famous; Ellen, when see had great reviews, was not famous until she had COMMERCIAL success (Juno, duh). I mean, honestly, did you just skim my comment? I can quote myself some more, but my comment’s already on this page, it’s not like my language is fanciful or confusing. The whole bad shows being canceled vs. critically acclaimed ones is again referring to my original statement. Bad shows get canceled because critics don’t favor them, ratings are down, and there’s bad acting or a bad script. Critically acclaimed shows have good scripts, good acting, the favor of the critics, but bad ratings (again, people make people household names). It’s not that hard to understand. As for the Rupert/Dan/Emma comments, I’m just letting that go. I’m letting this whole board go; I’ve had my say, and I know I can’t change your opinion.

P.S.-I told you why I brought the Nixon example. Did you skim that, too? Quote: “I’m emphasizing multi-tasking.” That’s it, nothing else to it. Please, don’t respond to this because I have stopped caring. But if you want to respond to the whole critics thing, go ahead. Wow me with your skimming skills.

Avatar Image says:

Uhm, Faurylights – Rupert is part of a huge, commercialy succesful global film franchise. How much more attention do you need? And yet, he is not recognized by both media and critics. Well, he is recognized but not enough to matter. Certainly not enough to be included on any list.

Avatar Image says:

Chanda: “And yet, he is not recognized by both media and critics”

This statement is false. Rupert receives more critical acclaim than I think you realize. Please see my previous post and just read through the OotP and Driving Lessons reviews to see exactly how revered Rupert is among critics.

Avatar Image says:

Some people often think Rupert is not popular as Dan or Emma. I think It’s not true! I were in OotP premiere in LA. You know they yelled Rupert’ name over Dan or Emma. They were carzy when he came!

I think sometimes “media” is not mean “fan” !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Avatar Image says:

@chanda: Yeah, Annie and EruditeWitch said it all. Rupert is famous (he’s in magazines, movies, and TV interviews), unless you’ve been living under a rock. He has a large fanbase, but I know Dan’s is larger and I’m pretty sure Emma’s is larger as well. But Annie makes a good point. I know that when he showed up at FAO Schwarz, in NYC, people went nuts. He was interviewed by the media there and they called it ‘Rupert-mania.’ It was insane. Anyway, my comment about critics was not about Rupert, thus the reason why I separated the topic by saying “As for the Rupert/Dan/Emma comments.” Also at the beginning: “I was talking about how critics don’t ‘make household names.’ (I was only responding to digimon’s claim that critics create movie stars.)” Yeah, I don’t uhm see any mention in there of me arguing Rupert’s uhm fame vs. his critical acclaim, because uhm all the examples are of uhm other people. I was talking about the concept.

Avatar Image says:

“how revered Rupert is among critics”...

lol. Only a Rupertfan could print such an exaggeration. ‘revered” is a superlative word and that’s a word that I would never associate with Rupert. Not that he is lacking in talent but it’s just not enough you see, in a world teeming with talents. The positive reviews he got for OotP and DL are NOT enough for him to become a household name. I don’t see any media or executive producer scrambling all over themselves to give him a job or to feature him in a mag spread. I don’t see any celebrity linking their names to Rupert’s as a future collaborator. As I said, if Rupert is recpgnized at all, it’s not enough for him to make any TOP Actors lists.

And as for the fans’ shouting – lol. See what a biased mind can come up with. I’ve also read a media report (not a fan’s blog) about it too but it’s the opposite. Yeah, Rupert got more scream than Emma but Dan got more than both of them. But funny enough, it’s still Emma who is more recognized than Rupert among American audiences. So what does the shouting mean? Just that Rupert fans are more crazed than Emma’s fans. lol

Avatar Image says:

@ Sonja- I know but still…its not fair they ignore Rupert.

He seems unaware/doesn’t care about it,..I hope so :3

Avatar Image says:

@chanda: You made some points … but I can’t totally agree with you > I think the main reason is Ron's just supported so bad in HP movies ... sometimes he really like a jerk. Look! How DanRad' character is a huge part > It’s always over other actors (Off topic- I don’t think Dan’s good enough to steal full of it!)

In other words, Emma is supported as a leading female > They made her brilliant every moment. Honestly, I feel Hermione is a "Mary Sue" in HP movies. Next, Emma is beautiful and fashionable in real life > Naturally The media love her!

I don’t know that you can get my point ?!! > I'm sorry for my bad English > I come from Japan ^^

Avatar Image says:

@ Chanda: I’m not making the point he’s the most popular. I know he’s not. Rupert isn’t Mr. Hollywood. But you can’t ignore the fact that more than a few reviews on that link I provided that you probably didn’t read call Rupert a “scene stealer” and “Most likely to have a strong career”. Read Rolling Stone’s review of him in OotP to show how even an entertainment magazine sees him as most talented.

My favorite review of his: “Rupert Grint can do more acting with his eyes than most actors can do with their entire bodies”

Also, see his interview with Leonard Maltin. Or read his reviews from Ebert and Roeper.

Critics give him praise. Moreso and Emma, and almost as much as Dan…which is a fete considering how much more Dan does with his time.

Avatar Image says:

Agreed, Chandra! By the time the last movie is out, I’ll bet Emma has a contract with a perfume/jewelry or clothing line. I hope Dan gets one too, he has the looks for commercial ads.

Erudite witch, we’ve all seen him in the movies, and have garnered our own opinions of him. He didn’t pop out at me at all and what lines he had were mumbled or not important. Luna and Filch made more of an impression on me , to be honest.

Fairylights, I’ve been trying to link what you’ve been talking about to this thread. Personally I think critics do help make household names because they end up being the ones being talked about and winning awards,etc. (Gael IS famous, though I haven’t seen any of his work. I don’t some of the other girls because I don’t watch much tv). The public ultimately do make the household name obviously so i guess that means the general public just isn’t interested in ruper and that’s why he didn’t get on this particular list. As for multitasking, I don’t differentiate between what Cynthia Nixon doing a school project in high school from Europe and doing “loads of projects” and Emma doing HP and her load of projects in what is essentially the equivalent of grades 11 and 12 over there. It’s not that hard to understand, is it? Again, what’s the point of talking about multitasking? It seems you’re trying to put down what Emma has accomplished . YOu haven’t , by the way, but you make rupert look even more unaccomplished than ever in comparison to Dan and Emma both. (Dan was multi tasking too, he was getting Aussie speech training for months before DB, and stage training and workouts before equus , both while filming HP and doing school. .

Avatar Image says:

I’m not denying Rupert’s talent. Heck, all three are talented, Rupert probably more so than Emma. But you see, the praise that Rupert gets is just not enough. On a scale of one to ten, it’s just 5 – not enough to land him in everybody’s favorite list. And that random quote from that “critic” is a little laughable. Goes to show how subjective some “critics” can be. I have found Rupert to have dead pan eyes, (the blank look is often funny) and here is one claiming that he acts with his eyes. lol

BTW, Gael Garcia Bernal is a very good example of an actor who doesn’t have BIg commercial hits and yet, the critics exalt and “revere” him. Jamie Bell is also another example. A household name among actors with critical acclaim and yet, no big Hits and even just does supporting roles. Both are included in the list, thank God.

Avatar Image says:

great for both of them…. i am hoping 4 more projects 4 u guys!!!! love yah…. i hope that there would be a movie for both of you as a couple!!!!

Write a Reply or Comment