357

Mar 04, 2008

Posted by SueTLC
Uncategorized

While promoting his new film “In Bruges” actor Ralph Fiennes gave a new interview where he discusses his role as Lord Voldemort in the Harry Potter series. Ralph says he will not be appearing in the upcoming “Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince,” and has not yet signed for “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.” He discusses the fact he “particularly liked” doing “Goblet of Fire” under the direction of Mike Newell. Noting that he was never an avid reader of the Harry Potter book series he says that it wasn’t until he went “to the premiere of the first one I did, I got a real sense of the extraordinary nature of it all.” Quotage from the interview with Ain’t it Cool is as follows:

Capone (of Aint It Cool) Are you even in THE HALF-BLOOD PRINCE?
RF: The one they’re shooting now, no, I’m not in it.

Capone: So it’s just your nephew that’s playing¦
RF: My nephew is playing, I think just for a couple of scenes, the younger Voldemort [Tom Riddle]. I understand that the bulk of the bulk of the backstory of Voldemort is played by another, slightly older actor [Frank Dillane].

Capone: And have you signed on for the final film yet?
RF: I have not yet, no.

Capone: Has it been fun seeing yourself rendered serpentine for the two films your are in?
RF: Yeah, I particularly liked doing the first one. The second one, I think Voldemort is placed more as a sense in Harry’s head, whereas in the first one I did with Mike Newell directing, there was that fantastic scene of his rebirth in the graveyard, which I enjoyed doing. I’ve enjoyed making the movies, but I was never an avid reader of the books. It just wasn’t something I went towards. When I went to the premiere of the first one I did, I got a real sense of the extraordinary nature of it all.

Capone: Were there small children in the audience screaming at the site of you?
RF: Yes! The volume of people and the noise and excitement; it was a huge phenomenon, the whole thing is definitely. And I actually think that the David Yates-directed one, the last one, was particularly good. I liked the style of it; it was grown up. and had an edge to it, the way it was shot and lit. It’s a franchise that could so easily have not developed, but I think just filmicly it has been developed, and the producers have been very smart to keep it alive and present and edgy.

Caution to Parents: Strong language in comments via theentire article at this link. Thanks Laura!

62 Responses to Ralph Fiennes: Not in “Half-Blood Prince,” Has Not Signed Yet to Return as Voldemort for “Deathly Hallows”

Avatar Image says:

Well, seeing as he wasn’t in the book I’m not surprised.

Avatar Image says:

I didn’t really expect it either, but I hope the guy they got to play tom riddle (when hes a bit older) is good. i also hope he’ll get signed for DH…they cant get another one

Avatar Image says:

I just expected him to be in that scene where he asks Dumbledore for the Defence Against the Dark Arts post.. But I’m not surprised either.. I just always imagine him in that scene whenever I read the book..

Avatar Image says:

He better be in DH!!!! No one else can possibly take over the role!

Avatar Image says:

well I didn’t expect him to show in this either.. :/

...though i was kind of hoping..

Avatar Image says:

Well, as he’s so much younger in all the flashbacks, i didn’t really expect him to be in this one. Is anyone else feeling like I am…. just get this one over with because i want to see DH on the screen? I mean, i can’t wait to see Alan Rickman shine in this one, but it all seems anticlimactic. I’m really wanting DH.

Avatar Image says:

Lili: It’s interesting you should say that, because that’s the feeling I got from the book; it had a fantastic finale, and obviously all the romance stuff was fairly crucial, but to me the main narrative felt rather undernourished, as if it was more concerned with doing the heavy lifting for Book Seven than it was with being a complete and satisfying story on its own merits. For that reason, I’m actually looking forward to the film a lot; I’m hoping the fact that this book had a slightly looser feel to it will give them a bit more room to be creative and give us an interesting spin on the whole thing. And of course, THAT climax will be legendary.

As for Fiennes, well, his absence is to be expected, given that, as has been said, he isn’t really in the book; I thought they might use him if they were going to include the flashback to his job interview with Dumbledore, but that was always a long shot. From the sounds of things, though, he’s someone who’s genuinely enthused with the film series and enjoys working on them, so I can’t imagine that he won’t be back for part seven; so much the better, because his Voldemort is fantastic, being nothing like what I had expected, but simultaneously everything that I could want. THAT’s the ideal that the books nailed, and that the films should strive towards; don’t simply give the fans what they want, give them something else, something unexpected, that they never even realised they wanted…

Avatar Image says:

hmm…I thought for sure that they fudge the book a little and put him in the Hogwarts raid sceen in the end. I am not too mad because this is Snape’s book. I am more worried that he is unsigned for DH! He also said that he liked doing GOF, and said nothing about OOTP. If they can’t get him back for DH, then they have problems. I am also sure that the most important flashback sceen(Voldmort asking for the DADA job) has been cut.

Avatar Image says:

What are we talking about here? Ofcourse he is not in Half-Blood Prince! Voldemort is not evem in the book, well not in his “current” form anyway. No surprises there.

And with Hallows not filming untill februari next year, no need to worry. Heyman has all thing under control (well he better have).

Avatar Image says:

It makes sense that some of the actors wouldn’t be signed for DH because the screenplay hasn’t been written. It makes even more sense that Fiennes wouldn’t sign on until they announce if it will be split into two films. I think most of the actors who have already signed for DH are in HBP as well.

If they do split the movie, I think everything will be filmed at once. However, with two different release dates, they’ll make twice the profits (depending on how much it costs to film it). I can’t imagine that the actors whom have already signed would be “okay” with making the same amount of money for one film when its actually 2 films.

Avatar Image says:

The voldemort in the book where he was asking for a teaching position,wasn’t the same ,he was slowing changing into the the Voldemort that we saw in O.T.P

Avatar Image says:

I hope he’s there in Hallows…no one else an be Voldemort now, he’s etched into my mind too well.

I wanted Ralph Fiennes as Voldemort in dumbledore’s office :(

Avatar Image says:

They better have him back for Deathly Hallows. THEY BETTER.

Avatar Image says:

Well, here’s my $0.02….Yes, I think it would be awful, if they didn’t have Mr Finnes, in DH. I really don’t see that happening. However, in the matter of the scene, where he returns to Hogwarts to ask for the DADA job…I can see them having his face obscured by a hood, or even a “younger than Mr Finnes” Riddle. I don’t think they will cut the “Voldemort/Dumbledor” scene. JMHO

Avatar Image says:

NEVER, NEVER, NEVER hit the post button twice! ROFLMAO! DUH!!!

Avatar Image says:

It doesn’t surprise me at all. He’s not in the novel. Them adding the one scene is really enough, I don’t think JK Rowling would let them add him to the novel, he’s really not needed. This novel isn’t about him. Not the current him any ways. Its about learning who Tom Riddle was – not Lord Voldemort.

It also doesn’t surprise me that he hasn’t signed on for Deathly Hollows yet either. Unless you signed a double picture deal (like the trio) they most likely don’t have the contracts done yet. And won’t until after the SAG/AMPTP settle their contract talks in June.

Not to mention, as the current film continues, more and more people are being added to the cast. I highly doubt they will replace Ralph Fiennes. They don’t like to replace major characters unless they really have to, and the only one they have truly replaced (that is a major, everyone knows them and can truly pick them out) is Dumbledore, due to the necessity of my beloved Richard Harris’s passing.

I have no fear that Ralph Fiennes will be back.

Avatar Image says:

It’s normal he’s not in HBP.only deatheaters are. And don’t worry-ofcourse he’ll be back for DH! There’s no Voldemort without Ralph Fiennes!

Avatar Image says:

hell be in DH he just hasnt signed cuz its still away off from filming

Avatar Image says:

Well, others said before: as he isn’t really in the book (only as his younger self), of course he is not in the film. And about DH: Has any actor except the trio signed up for DH? I don’t think they did the casting for the next one yet as it is still one year to go. They will ask him, though. They kept all the actors in as far as possible. So they will keep Ralph Fiennes in as well.

Avatar Image says:

Any reason hinted at ,as to, why he might NOT be in DH..? I mean surely both Mr Finnes and the production comp understand ..that at this point in the HP films ANY recurring character would be expected to be played by the SAME actor..?...I mean its not as if they wont make the last movie so If you sighed up after #3 then you should know you are up for the rest of the movies as long as your character in in it..Other than death..the contract should have stated you should finish the series…this isn’t some American Soap where the viewers pretend its the same person..lol

Avatar Image says:

i hadn’t even thought about the fact that he wasn’t in HPB book… pity…ralph fiennes is a prefect voldy and i like seeing him act….

he’s got to be in DH- they cant change that!!!!!

Avatar Image says:

he better be in DH!!! he’s one of my favorite actors, also I dont think another Lord Voldemort will be as good as him.

Avatar Image says:

“I just expected him to be in that scene where he asks Dumbledore for the Defence Against the Dark Arts post..”

Yeah, same here.

Avatar Image says:

We don’t really see him in HBP, so that’s ok …. BUT THEY BETTER HAVE HIM IN DH!!!! >:o

Avatar Image says:

Bethers – just to give you a heads up, the reason they don’t contract for the whole series is because it would be incredibly difficult to pin down any actor for seven films under one pay rate. They don’t contract for anyone for more than two films when it comes to this series. At least I don’t think. The Trio may have contracted 3-5 in a bundle, but I think that is the largest bundle. A lot of it has to do with money. When it comes to a series like this, when doing a large amount of films, you really can’t contract for all seven films at once, for anyone, due to the fact that you don’t know how much the films are going to make. the films could have been a smash hit (as they are) or a flop. If they had contracted the entire cast for all seven films, Dan Radcliffe would still be making 250,000 pounds for each film (which would certainly be unheard of considering the success). It’s a union thing.

Ralph Fiennes I am sure will be back. There are contract negotiations that are going on Union wise since SAG’s contract with AMPTP is up in June. I’m sure unless they have a contract through Deathly Hallows, no one will have a contract for that film until after the SAG contract is settled. A lot of other big budget films are holding off on their contracts until then as well.

Have no worries, I’m sure everyone involved want RF back. He’s simply amazing as Voldemort. He’s far too freaky in the role to not come back. And as he once said in an interview with James Lipton; he’s not a real fan of Harry Potter, and wasn’t when he came into the franchise. Then again, he didn’t have to be. Children are terrified of him, and thats exactly how Voldemort should be.

WTFNOOOO

Avatar Image says:

If hes not in DH i will be furious!

You cant just REPLACE Voldy! Hopfully they wont :)

Avatar Image says:

“Is anyone else feeling like I am…. just get this one over with because i want to see DH on the screen?”

yes! I keep wanting to watch one of the HP films and the one I fancy watching is the one that hasn’t even been written yet! I wasn’t keen on HBP as a book. I enjoyed the pensieve visits, the sectumsempra, and then from the cave onwards. Really not into the romance stuff at all.

But I’m thinking that I might enjoy the film more.

Avatar Image says:

beckett, apparently they wanted to contract the kids for all seven but Radcliffe’s parents didn’t want to commit him to 10 years just like that (and also didn’t want him to be in Hollywood) and so they refused the offer. So the filmmakers eventually agreed to a one year at a time, filmed in the UK. But that was just for the kids because they wanted to keep them the same throughout.

Avatar Image says:

I am sure that all the reaccuring actors and actresses from the films will be back for the last film even the newly cast people will be back Im sure. But Im not surprised either that he is not in it, it is Snapes book – I pray Alan has alot of screen time, eventhough we find out about his past it still is the book about Harry and the Half- Blood prince.

Avatar Image says:

oh i totally forgot he wasn’t in that one good thing im rereading it! haha! i hope hes in DH he was so good as voldy! ;)

Avatar Image says:

HBP is my favorite book so I’m totally looking forward to the movie. I think they COULD have used Ralph Fiennes even as Tom Riddle. He could’ve easily been in the Dumbledore interview during his transition into Voldemort. That’s what make-up is for, right? I’m REALLY nervous about DH though. One of the first things I thought after I finished reading it was: “How are they going to film this? Especially the wand-lore stuff?” Fiennes WILL return as Voldy in DH! He HAS TO!

Avatar Image says:

I’m surprised and quite disappointed. I have and will always love the book, but movies are (everybody say it with me) a different medium. People who haven’t read the book will probably wonder during the film, “Hey, what happened to the snake guy? Why isn’t he possessing Harry anymore? Is the main villian not showing up in the penultimate movie? Why not?” I would love if they added some darker scenes in the movie and we got glimpses of Voldemort preparing his death eaters. Actually two scenes is really all that is needed. Two short scenes and we get a glimpse of exactly where Voldemort is and what he is doing. By the way, I’m 95% positive they won’t add in the Voldemort DADA interview. To simplify the memories means to simplify DH, which would mean it’s possible DH could be ONE film that is comprehensible for nonreaders.

Avatar Image says:

I like Ralph very much as Voldemort and I hope he will be back on DH.

Now we´ve seen him act V. no other would be suitable.

Avatar Image says:

No problem, guys! It will be kind of weird having no Fiennes/Voldemort for HBP but I really do think he’ll sign on for the last film.

Avatar Image says:

I don’t think it is dire that hes not been signed for DH … no one has been.

Avatar Image says:

Will: In all honesty, I don’t think that’s going to be a problem. It’s not as if Voldemort is going to totally vanish for the duration of the film; frankly, out of all the seven stories, I’d argue that HBP is the one that’s actually ABOUT Voldemort, both in terms of the backstory revealed about him and in terms of the way his presence permeates the whole atmosphere, even if you don;t see him directly. I really don’t think any audience members will feel like he’s missing…

Avatar Image says:

I have to agree, Half Blood Prince is a film where even though the grown Voldemort may not be present I don’t think he will be missed. His acts are being carried out by others and we are finding out what happened to him as a child to create the man we see. I also think the fact that Malfoy is under his watchful eye creates a strong message. I don’t think Voldemort will be “missed” in the sense that the non reading audience will wonder what he is up to. His minions that are in and around the school will take care of that. Voldemort is much more of a delegator when it comes down to things anyways.

I must say though, after going on to read the whole interview (because I just love Ralph Fiennes and wanted to see what else he had going on) as much as I complain about the comments on this board…Man on man they are nothing like the comments on Ain’t It Cool News. I don’t think Strong Language covered it. I’m glad that people here are able to keep it at least clean if not always nice!

Avatar Image says:

aww nutz. i was kinda hoping Fieness would play Tom Riddle asking for that teaching post from Dumbledore

and they’re gonna get Fiennes for DH, he’s just playing the wait-till-they-give-me-more-money game ;-)

Avatar Image says:

I am a girl and I WOULD PLAY TOM RIDDLE AHAHAHA. Anything to get into one of the films!! Warning: Theatrical prosthetics may be necessary, due to obvious reasons, in such case.

I would chop off my hair to a crop if I had to.

Anyway, I had a huge crush on the first Riddle. What a cool name…sigh. Fiennes I really hope will be back for DH, but I trust their faith in Dillane if they choose him instead for both.

Avatar Image says:

It is a bit sick and twisted that I remember this – BUT I seem to remember that Robbie Coltrane and Richard Harris had to sign up for all 7 movies. The reason why it is sick and twisted that I recall this is that I do believe it was a topic that came up when R. Coltrane and R. Harris were with the three kids on the Rosie O’Donnell Show promoting the first movie!!! (I also think that Richard Harris was a little irked that he had to sign it and the kids didn’t)

It is either sick and twisted that I remember this accurately, or sick and twisted that I dreamt the whole thing.

Avatar Image says:

I always pictured Fiennes in that scene in Dumbledore’s office, but yeah, maybe he is a bit too old for it.

I’m pretty sure he’ll come back for the final one. He seems to enjoy it all. I wonder if they’ll show him without the snake makeup/effects after his death. It’s not in the book of course, but it’d be a neat cinematic device.

Avatar Image says:

I have to agree with Mr. Fiennes. He said he liked doing the scene in GoF. I thought he was stupendous in this role. I think personally that GoF was the best movie done yet. Yes of course there were things left out for sure, but you can’t say that it was not a great movie, (especially after the fiasco that was OotP!!!!!). Hope Mr. Fiennes is in DH though. It would be a shame to change actors in mid stride. All of the other actors have been there for all the movies, why break stride. Long live Harry Potter!!!!!!!!! Thanks JK for a wonderful series.

Avatar Image says:

Maybe Ian Hart will play Voldemort. Ralph Fiennes looked more like Voldemort, but Ian Hart sounded more like how I had pictured him. Ralph Fiennes’s voice was just to calm. The high, cold, rasp was just how I had thought Voldemort sounded like: “Ha-Ry-Pot-Ter! See what I’ve become? See what I must do to survive?” And then, we met Ralph Fiennes. He looked much more like Voldemort, but the voice really irked me. The way he said “You will lose…everything…” just sounded to friendly for Voldemort. He’s evil, for Jeez sake! Maybe if they switch vocal chords, and Fiennes returns…

Avatar Image says:

I am working on a Harry Potter fan’s pledge. Along with one other person, I am the only one at my school who likes Harry Potter! Blasphemy! I have decided to make a pledge for Harry Potter fans, and it can come in use here.

HARRY POTTER SHALL LIVE ON! POSERS LIKE ALEX RIDER SHALL DIE! LONG LIVE HARRY POTTER! LONG LIVE HARRY POTTER!

I’m working on it.

Avatar Image says:

Well, he’s not much in HBP anyway. So w/e. But uhh, not signed for DH yet? This is making me worry ….. PLEASE BE IN DEATHLY HALLOWS. PLEASEEEEEEE ! He’s like best actor for Voldy, and plus he’s really good looking. :D

Avatar Image says:

I do not think it would be a problem if he is not in DH. It would depend on who they get to replace him. However i do not think that will happen. I cannot think of one actor who would not sign on to be in possibly the highest grossing movie or movies of all time. They have huge ego’s.and the royalties would be out of this world :)

Avatar Image says:

Gosh, I didn’t even think about that – but it seems obvious that he’s not in HBP, there’s no Voldemort-as-he-is-now in the book. I’m preeeeetty sure he’ll be in DH. They can’t get a new Voldemort just for the last film! The fans would kill ‘em. Well, some of them … including me. :)

He IS Voldemort, right? We’ve never seen anyone else playing him, and someone else might actually be better at the part, but it would still be weird seeing someone else play him. He shall be in DH, I’m sure. :)

Avatar Image says:

I think we are forgetting that Tom Riddle is only in his early 20s when he asks for the DADA job. So no Ralph in the office with Gambon. Think people please.

Avatar Image says:

:( i really wanted to see him in 6 this also means that the scene with the adult Voldemort wanting a job at Hogwarts will be cut and that’s a big bummer :(

Avatar Image says:

They could definately have used Fiennes in “Voldemort’s request” Shame there’re missing out on him!!

Avatar Image says:

@ Erica- did Alan sign up for all seven movies, probably dumb, hes been in six thus far why would he at the very last say , nah get someone else! LOL, I was only wondering cause no one can play Snape like him. Or no one can replace someone once they are casted for that matter. we even notice if little characters are re-casted.

Avatar Image says:

“I think most of the actors who have already signed for DH are in HBP as well.”

Yes. The trio has been signed on for the final two films, and when she signed on for OOTP, Helena Bonham Carter likely signed a 3-picture deal (someone, likely J.K.R., told her she plays a significant role in DH). Timothy Spall signed a 2-picture deal when he signed on to do HBP, so he’ll be back for DH.

I think Maggie Smith and Alan Rickman signed similar contracts (or maybe they signed a multi-picture deal when they first signed on to do SS/PS).

Avatar Image says:

He wasn’t really in the book so at least theyre not making anything else up. Hope he comes back for the 7th with red contacts though (and slits), Voldemort with blue eyes bothers me

Avatar Image says:

RALPH, IF YOU READ THIS, WE NEED YOU BACK FOR THE LAST MOVIE. I am so excited to see HBP, but how awesome is DH going to be? Man! I heard it might be 2 films. That would be good cause the films always cut so much out. I know they have too but they take the personality right out of the flick. If they make 2 then they can touch on so much more and make it a really great film!!!!

@ BellaSnape,

I don’t know about Alan Rickman’s contract… it was a while ago, plus the interview on the Rosie O’Donnell Show that I am recalling only had the three kids, Robbie Coltrane, and Richard Harris.

Boy I missed her show when Deathly Hallows came out – she is a Potter fan (or at least was when the movies first starting coming out. She had JKR on at least twice I think, and she really wanted the Molly Weasley role. Don’t get me wrong – I adore Julie Walters in the role, but I could see Rosie in the role too… if Molly was an American.)

no one should be worried about him not signing for book 7

its his biggest movie and he plays the role fantastically, they’re not just going to get a new one.

Avatar Image says:

Why did they change the older Voldie to a different actor? Was Ralph too expensive to only do short bits?

s

Avatar Image says:

My fear is that at the end of Deadly Hallows and a powerful scene that gary Oldman won’t play Sirus. Would an actor of his reputation play just that one very very potent scene. Voldermort is so disguised that his brother could play that role.

Avatar Image says:

Ralph Fiennes is prefect for Voldemort. I truly hope he signs up for the final ones. He is so amazing and gives a true sense of the character. The final film in its two parts is going to be a landmark in the film world. I am counting down the days.

If the same actors don’t continue to be their characters, I think it’ll be a sad and wrong decision.

Write a Reply or Comment