Location Filming for “Half-Blood Prince” at Millennium Bridge in London

115

Mar 09, 2008

Posted by SueTLC
Uncategorized

We’ve received several reports and photos of location filming taking place this weekend for the upcoming Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince film in London. This scene, which does NOT involve any of main cast members, involves a shoot at Millennium Bridge in London, England. Reader Milo says they are using extras for a special effects scene in Half-Blood Prince that features the destruction of the bridge, “to be used in the movie as evidence of the war in the Wizarding world.” He writes “they used 120+ extra’s on the bridge plus stuntmen who fell off the bridge into the water. They had a helicopter which filmed the main parts swooping down very close to the water and bridge, and it flew length ways along the bridge. Filming could only be done every 30 mins as that was all that the government would allow them.”

Thanks to Milo and Pottermaniac.net we can see photos of this location shoot here and here, as well as videos courtesy of Pottermaniac here. Thanks Milo and Peeves!

48 Responses to Location Filming for “Half-Blood Prince” at Millennium Bridge in London

Avatar Image says:

AWESOME! I hope they’ll invent some more Death Eater war scenes too!

Avatar Image says:

Wonderful! I wonder…maybe it’ll be used for the collapsing bridge the two ministers talk about…

That scene must be, Gem.

I guess another Daily Prophet montage…lol

But wasn’t it supposed to happen during night?I mean,the destruction.

Avatar Image says:

I don’t think there was any indication that “The Brockdale Bridge” in HBP collapsed at night, John. The discussion of it between the two Ministers took place at night—maybe that’s what you’re thinking of.

Avatar Image says:

Oh heck yes!!! This must be that scene from the book! Sounds amazing, woo hoo! :D But, poor muggles. :(

Avatar Image says:

Can’t wait for the movie to make the theaters. sigh

Avatar Image says:

I wonder is the death eaters will cast a spell to shake it to pieces. That would fit nicely with the history of the bridge. Timeline purists however may complain that the Bridge wasn’t built until after the end of DH (ignoring the epilogue) book time.

Avatar Image says:

WHAT? YOU MEAN THE BRIDGE HASENT ALREADY COLLAPSED?

sorry for the over dramatic caps, but isent that the bridge that had to be closed shortly after being opened because it swayed and vibrated in a very pronounced manor when people walked on it, or a strong enough wind blew down the river?

I think its cool, but how did they film the bridge breaking in half if you cant destory the actuall one? thats what im interested in.

Avatar Image says:

Quite right roonwit, the Millenium footbridge was not constructed until 1998 and the “Brockdale Bridge” was less than 10 years old in 1996 when HBP occurs. No complaints from me though … I am looking forward to the movie.

Also, it seems to be “official” that David Yates will be the director for DH…it’s on IMdb. Please excuse me if I happened to miss an “official” announcement but, I had only heard rumors up to this point.

Avatar Image says:

i was in london yesterday!! as i got off the tube at oxford circus I SAW evanna lynch and katie leung they were getting on the tube! i was starstruck made my day! x

Avatar Image says:

Cat, IMDB should not really be relied upon too often. Its not hard for any random person to start editing information there.

Just because something appears there does not mean the studio put it there.

I can see the Daily Prophet headlines now:

DEATH EATERS USE RESONANT FREQUENCIES TO SHAKE DOWN MILLENIUM BRIDGE! Ministry: “Our magic is no match for their physics!”

Avatar Image says:

By the way, this is a terrific bit of news. Anyone know when principal photography for the film is supposed to wrap? Should be soon, right?

Avatar Image says:

I hope this is the opening of the film… very dark, collapse of bridge, thunderstorms, hurricane in the countryside, then pan into the quiet village of Spinner’s End where there are two women roaming the otherwise empty streets… they knock on a door… enter Snape. They go into his house and discuss the rise of the Death Eaters.

Gahhhh I can’t wait. And as much as I love the chapter “The Other Minister,” it would never work on screen. At least the way the movies have been built up now. If we open with “Spinner’s End” I’ll be perfectly content.

Avatar Image says:

It sounds weird… we all know the book is set in the ‘90s, while the bridge (which is very well-known alla over the world) was built in the year 2000… Couldn’t they have chosen ANY other bridge???

Avatar Image says:

hm…I don’t remember anything about any bridge in the book…I should re-read it. I’ve read HBP one year ago. But I’m so looking forward to see the film. Yates has a chance to correct the mistakes. If I like HBP,maybe I’ll want Yates for DH. For now my vote goes for brilliant Alfonso Cuaron!

Avatar Image says:

It’s a very good sign that they are filming destruction scenes !

I was afraid that the impact of the rise of Voldemort in the muggle world would be left out because in the books there are only reports of the impact.

to finn bv

It should a good beginning, but I image something like a muggle news bulletin. They’ve already done this in Ootp, when the radio guy announces high temperatures in the beginning. But since they find it hard to implement the muggle disasters that occur in that time, it should be interesting to watch these scenes.

Raise your heads, folks! Only 8 months till we see the movie! And the pictures and trailers rush hasn’t even begun yet!

Avatar Image says:

Not that the Millenium Bridge NEEDS much help from Death Eaters to fall down….

Avatar Image says:

I was sure they would not include the “other minister” scene, but now I think I will allow myself 10% hope. This is easily something they can show while Molly or Arthur or anybody is talking to Harry. But I still hold out hope!

Avatar Image says:

I hope that they give more time for the last two movies. I would love to see a 3hr hbp just to get more in.

Avatar Image says:

Well I walked across the Millenium Bridge last year and it was quite sturdy then. I know it had some teetthing problems. You can see a video of these initial problems here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQK21572oSU&feature=related

I agree with andrei that the scene could be included in a Muggle news bulletin possibly coming from the Dursleys telly at the beginning of the film. This might be before or after the Spinner’s End scene. The Muggle PM might also be interviewed for a scene like this on the news bulletin with perhaps Kinglsey standing behind. I think Michael Sheen would make a good PM, he played Tony Blair in The Queen.

Avatar Image says:

The Millennium Bridge is cool, it does sort of bounce a bit when a lot of people walk on it together!

I hadn’t thought about the date being pre2000, but you know in the 5th film they flew COMPLETELY the wrong way down the Thames to get to Islington… because they wanted a shot of the House of Parliament, and nobody complained, so I guess most won’t notice what bridge it is!

Avatar Image says:

As much as this looks like it will be a brilliant and interesting scene, I find one big flaw with this. The flaw is that the bridge didn’t exist when the timeline of the books took place, so David Yates is making a big mistake in doing this.

Avatar Image says:

Well the actual date and time is rarely mentioned in the films, and when they started the films they did not set them in the past, so it could be said in the films that Harry first found out he was a wizard in 2001 in the PS/SS film rather than 1991 that is alluded to in the books. I say ‘allueded’ because JKR does not really mention the years that the events of the Trio and co took place, only leaving us a few clues like Nearly Headless Nick’s deathdate of 31st October 1492 to help work them out. Though the eighteen months between each film throws the dates of each school year off a bit.

I can’t recall any bridges that would be the right age for what the Brockdale Bridge was based on. Yates has changed the bridge attacked from a road bridge to a pedestrian one, but the effect would be the same with people falling into the water. The Millenium Bridge fits for the films because it is about ten years old now.

Avatar Image says:

Of all weekends, I had to choose this one to go into lockdown study mode and not leave my flat :/

Avatar Image says:

YESSSSSS! I can’t wait to see this!!!!

Avatar Image says:

And yeah, the films have never followed the timeline of the books, why would they start now?

Avatar Image says:

This is great! I love it. The videos were fantastic. I love seeing things like this. Makes my heart all aflutter.

I love what they can do these days with special effects. I can’t wait to see what they will do with this scene in the end. I have to agree with some on this post though in saying that it doesn’t quite matter year wise. Though many know that the Millennium Bridge was built in 2000 (though I must say I didn’t but I’m from the States…) it’s a bit easier to fudge a bridge than it is to fudge other things. The great thing about bridges etc, is with special effects they can kind of make it look like they are in other places. TV shows, films are often shot in different places than they are claiming to be but its more cost effective to shot these scenes where they are (For instance, my college campus is usually used as an east coast college campus for many films/tv shows. It has been shown as Harvard, Brown, Yale etc even though its in downtown Los Angeles). It’s also a bridge than many people won’t know that was built in 2000 and a lot of people (the non book readers) don’t know that HP is supposed to take place in the 90s and even for those that do, its not as though they are filming in Downtown Manhattan, where the World Trade Center is supposed to be there for the duration of HP.

It’s easier to fudge these types of things, and with the timeline never being mentioned, its even easier.

I just love getting these little sneak peaks. I can’t wait till trailers come out.

Avatar Image says:

I agree with others that this is mostly like a Daily Prophet montage of some sort. It is probably not its own stand alone scene. As for the inconsistencies in the date, for all we know, the movies take place now, not in the 90s like the books. It really doesn’t matter in the grand scheme of things.

Bandersnatch, I think principal photography wraps up in May.

Avatar Image says:

Perhaps you are right, the films take place now… as in Order of the Phoenix, while getting to the Ministery by underground, we see all the people around Harry and Mr Wealsey going through the barriers touching their Oyster cards (Mr Weasley tries to imitate them using his right hand!), but those cards were introduced only few years ago: they certainly didn’t exist back in the ‘90s! BUT Harry’s birthdate is definitely 31 July 1980, Jo says so in her website, you can still see the date in the “wizard of the month” section”

Avatar Image says:

I hope that this is not a Daily Prophet montage, nor a muggle TV broadcast! I’d love it if this was pure cinamatograph. It would have more of an emotional impact than if it was filtered through news outlets that way.

It’s too bad the videos didn’t capture the stunt people jumping, that would have been cool to see!

Avatar Image says:

I hope that this is not a Daily Prophet montage, nor a muggle TV broadcast! I’d love it if this was pure cinamatography. It would have more of an emotional impact than if it was filtered through news outlets that way.

sorry, spelling

Avatar Image says:

i agree, chrysanthemum. i hope its a beautiful, award-deserving cinematic shot.. but for some reason im having an odd feeling that this scene might resemble a cross between the golden gate bridge scene in x men 3 and the silver surfer scene in ff2. hopefully it will be a new genuine scene by the harry potter franchise, not something ripped off another movie.

Avatar Image says:

Has there been a release date for the new movie??? Somewhere I missed that…if someone could email me the date that would be great!!! I am not able to get online as often as I would like to check out the postings. THANKS!!!

Avatar Image says:

HPB is coming out on november 21st 2008 I CANT WAITTTTTTT IM GOING TO SEE IT ON 3D IMAX AND IN REGULAR I hope they dont rush the movie like they did in OotP They better make the harry/ginny scenes good too

Avatar Image says:

OMG, this is sooo cool, they really seem to be doing this movie as much justice as they can- they would have Im sure done more with OOTP but the book is a whopping 870 pages. But this is great it makes me even more eager for the movie- Im on pins and needles as it is! I loved OOTP and I have a feeling I am going to love HBP even more, the only sad thing is we lose a character in each one- but we find out they sort of come back for the last even Sirius. Cant Wait!!!!

Avatar Image says:

Wow!! This was one of the best books in the series, I’m re-reading it right now, and I can’t WAIT for the movie! They do seem to be working hard on this one, I think it’ll turn out really good!!

And yeah, the timeline thing doesn’t really matter, because the books and the movies have never followed the same timeline, so I don’t think the movies take place pre-2000.

Avatar Image says:

I think it’s this bridge scene will definitely be a Daily Prophet headline with the footage shown as a moving photo. I’m don’t think that the “other minister’ would work well as a movie opener—but as a headline, the bridge attack could be used anywhere within the course of the movie (more likely in the first half, before the raid on the Burrow).

Avatar Image says:

hey Finn BV i loved the way you imagined the first few minutes should be, i was actually able to envision it in my head. You should be a fic writer…

though i think they should also add the ministers conversation, i really liked it. it show’s you how much this war effects both worlds. just like real world effects both sides.

Hmm, interesting.

Avatar Image says:

I dunno why but whenever I read the books (especially the first time round) I always picture events like these (bridge collapsing) happening in smaller more rural areas. When I read the bridge collapsed I never thought of it being a London bridge (well the Millenium bridge woudln’t have been around in ‘96 or ‘97 so that makes sense). I think if they were going to do that they should have used one of the older more iconic bridges (Tower Bridge would have been amazing!) as it would have been around at the supposed date and it’s timeless. I guess they either didn’t get permission, filming would have been trickier or it would have cost more. I’m not sure how I feel about them using such a… London centred bridge. For me they don’t spend enough time around the UK. It’s either Scotland or London (with a diddy bit in Surrey, which is sparse these days anyway as they’ve trimmed down the Dursleys). I’d like to see more effects around the UK of Voldemort’s return. I mean they could have used the Tyne Bridge (I love that bridge!). It’s going to be exciting and big but I’m not sure that’s always a good thing, sometimes they use that tactic to distract from underdeveloped scripts and characterisation.

Avatar Image says:

Yay! Another scene completed (almost)!!! Squeee! eight months, 8 months… just keep saying that people. a few deep breathes would help too. I’m sooo excited!!!!!!!

Avatar Image says:

What a great scene to film! I really find interesting to have an action scene like that. Specially because I like “The Other Minister” chapter in the book. But, (as I was reading in the comments) what are Evanna Lynch and Kate Lieung doing in the bridge location? It doesn’t make sense… On a very different topic, I was wondering How long will last the HBP movie? How can we fans press the director and crew of the film to make them make it as extensive as possible? (I believe that is what we want) Does anyone have an idea of how to do so? Thanks.

Avatar Image says:

I hate to be a pedant but as many people have done so already in this discussion, I might as well.

I would like to respond to moony_lupin who said that Michael Sheen would make a good PM because he played Blair well in “The Queen”. The problem is that the PM scene is set in 1996, the PM at the time was Sir John Major NOT Tony Blair, a completely different character (although some would question whether Major had any character)

Avatar Image says:

Does this mean the movie will include ‘other minister scene’ i hope it will be a feature at the beginning of the film. Roll on 8 months time .

Avatar Image says:

Ok this scene is not in the book. but i cannot wait to see it in the movie!!!!!!

Avatar Image says:

I think that Milo was slightly exaggerating about the filming at the Millennium Bridge. The bridge could only be closed to the public for 20 minutes at a time as the helicopter had to return to reload the camera and for fuel. The councils (City of London and Westminster) agreed to the closure of the bridge not the government. The destruction of a bridge in HBP is on page 1 at the bottom of the page.

Write a Reply or Comment