“Order of the Phoenix” Film Nominated for 2008 Hugo Award

332

Mar 25, 2008

Posted by EdwardTLC
Uncategorized

The Hugo Awards, which celebrate the best in the field of science fiction and fantasy work, have released their 2008 list of nominees which include a nomination for the “Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix” film. This awards ceremony, largely run and voted for by fans, has recognized the fifth Potter film in the category of “Best Dramatic Presentation, Long Form,” naming its screenwriter, Michael Goldenberg, original author, J. K. Rowling, and director, David Yates, for the honor. Competing against “Order of the Phoenix” in this category are the films “Enchanted,” “Stardust,” “The Golden Compass,” and the TV show “Heros.”

The Hugo Awards have been in existence since 1953 and are voted on by eligible members of the World Science Fiction Society. Members of the 2008 committee with have until July 1, 2008 to cast their votes. The awards ceremony will take place at the 66th Annual World Science Fiction Convention set for August 9th in Denver, Colorado.

Congratulations to all at “Order of the Phoenix!”

28 Responses to “Order of the Phoenix” Film Nominated for 2008 Hugo Award

That’s very exciting!

YAY! Go ORDER!!!

Order of the Phoenix is going to blow the competition away! Go Harry Potter! :D

OOTP deserves it.

Avatar Image says:

i really want ootp to win, and it should, but the golden compass has been winning lots of things hasn’t it?? i don’t even like the golden compass that much and everyone else is all like ‘ohh that was so good’ blah blah blah. NO. HARRY POTTER SHOULD WIN EVERY AWARD IT IS NOMINATED FOR CAUSE IT DOMINATES.

Avatar Image says:

Becmajec: Golden Compass was pretty much panned by critics and no it hasn’t been winning lots of things. It won best special effects at the Oscars, but that’s nothing to do with story quality. It was a great book though.

I don’t want to see OotP win. If they can’t be bothered to nominate “Deathly Hallows” in the book categories, than the movies sure shouldn’t be getting an award instead of the last book. Besides, “Stardust” and “Enchanted” were better films imho.

crosses fingers for “Blink” or “Captain Jack Harkness” in the short form category.

Avatar Image says:

I love OotP and it’s my favourite of the movies on that list, but my feeling is that either Stardust or Heroes will win out of that listing.

Still, it’s great to see it nominated :D

Avatar Image says:

Yayy!!!! Keeping my fingers crossed now!!

Avatar Image says:

I think they won’t want to give it to OOTP because it’s a sequel and there are still more to come.

Avatar Image says:

i have just seen stardust…it was really good but not as much as order of the phoenix

Stardust deserves it :)

Avatar Image says:

If it was the book, I’d totally be cheering for OoTP. But the movie was just kind of…ehhh. Stardust was pretty good (better than I thought, at least) and same goes to Enchanted. Golden Compass has been one of my favourite books for a LONG time (nowhere close to Harry Potter, though =)) and I have to say that the movie was average compared to the books. So… Go Heroes!

Avatar Image says:

OOTP is the best in this category! and I hate “Heros”. and “the Golden Compass”-I mean,what the hell are they trying to do? Something like HP books/films???!!! You’re going down!!! HP is and it will always be the best book on big screen!

Avatar Image says:

Congratulations and good luck to everyone involved with the OotP film.

Avatar Image says:

I love Harry Potter, but I agree with Hollie. Stardust totally deserves it. That movie was incredible. Enchanted was also very good for what it was. Heroes is always a favorite for me, as is Harry Potter, but neither were the best Long Form cinematic Sci Fi/Fantasy of the year. And Golden Compass… does being beautiful make a movie great? My opinion is no.

I say Stardust should win.

I think it’ll come down to HP and the Golden Compass

Avatar Image says:

i hated Golden compass book. OOTP WAS MY FAVORITE MOVIE!!

Avatar Image says:

HARRY POTTER AND THE ORDER OF THE PHOENIX WILL WIN, NOT COMPASS, NOT STARDUST, NOT HEROES, NOT ENCHANTED!!! WHAT THE HELL IS HEROES, ANYWAY?

Avatar Image says:

GOO’OOON, HARRY POTTER! KICK THE OTHER FILMSBUTT!

Avatar Image says:

I also want Doctor Who to win a category as well as OOTP.

Avatar Image says:

I suppose winning this award is about all we HP fans can expect, for the time being. The real(Golden Globes, Academy Awards) award nominations have been few and far between. Not even the great Stuart Craig, who is a genious IMO, gets to win an Oscar. It will probably happen for us as it did for “Lord of the Rings”, though probably not to that extent. I suppose we won’t get a single award to be proud of until maybe part two of “Deathly Hallows”. The problem is that there are, I think, too many Academy voters who wait until the last minute to vote for something good. I can just see it now…late 2011…the ballots have gone out…voters see HP on it, realize that there will be no more films, and say, ‘Oh yeah, I guess those movies are pretty good. Think I’ll vote for them.”

Avatar Image says:

OOTP wasn’t even that good. They skipped like everything. Right whooever said it about how Deathly Hallows should win something for books

Avatar Image says:

They are all really good films that have been nominated, but I think Stardust is probably the weakest of them, mainly because of the characterisation and some of the performances (Claire Danes, Sienna Miller and Ricky Gervais made it unwatchable). I hope Order of the Phoenix wins as I thought is was the best Potter film so far.

Avatar Image says:

Sorry, forgot to say that Golden Compass was probably one of the worst adaptations I’ve ever seen, so I didn’t like that at all. And completely agree that Deathly Hallows should have been nominated, but it’s usually more sci-fi books that get nominated for these awards. Plus, DH has won loads of other awards so it’s not too bad.

Avatar Image says:

Miriam: GoF was nominated for and won the award so there’s no excuse for DH not at least getting nominated.

And I disagree about “Stardust.” But either way, there’s also “Enchanted” and the first season of “Heroes.” “Enchanted” was one of the best reviewed films of the year and the most well received. I haven’t spoken to anyone who didn’t really like it. Although “Heroes” faltered in the second season, the first season (the one being nominated) was absolutely fantastic. I simply do not think OotP should win at all, and I’m not going to say it should just because it’s connected to HP.

Sidenote: I thought OotP was the best Potter film since CoS though.

Avatar Image says:

YEA! harry potter deserves it!

Avatar Image says:

IDK OOTP is the best one on that list but the golden compass really comes close to it so its one of the two

Avatar Image says:

desearía que Harry Potter y la orden de el Fénix ganara, pero debo admitir que el trabajo de David yates dejó mucho que desear, realmente me aterra saber que él hará las siguientes películas de Harry, casi lloré cuando ví dicha película,porque la historia de el libro fué cruelmente tasajeada, David Yates no supo hacer un buen resumen de el libro, la película me decepcionó, el libro es increíblemente grandioso, y la escena que yo deseaba ver con más ganas era en la que Harry enfrenta a Dumbledore en su oficina, yo quería verlo furioso destrozando la oficina de el director, entre otras muchas cosas que cortaron sin piedad. Deseo que Dios lo perdone Sr. Yates, porque desperdició sobremanera a un gran elenco como lo son todos los actores de Harry Potter.

Write a Reply or Comment