PotterCast 154: 800 Words!

364

Jun 02, 2008

Posted by EdwardTLC
Uncategorized

Tonight we have for you the 154th episode of PotterCast, our Harry Potter podcast, online for your listening pleasure. The entire quartet is back this week and poised to discuss the big news of a Harry Potter prequel written by J. K. Rowling being auctioned on June 11th. Sue brings us the latest news on this auction, what is written on the card, and much more. In addition to this news, we bring you information on the 10th Anniversary Edition of “Sorcerer’s Stone,” the “Half-Blood Prince” filming, and the tragic death of Robert Knox last week. We then have for you the next installment of Phoenix Files where the foursome discusses the next part of the OotP film in which the Trio fights back against Umbridge and takes flight to the Ministry. A new edition of Canon Conundrums follows with further theorizing on the 800-word notecard and what it might contain. Finally, the PotterCast quartet is back with an Acting Troupe update, a PotterCast PSA on safe kayaking, John’s plea for a Disneyland job, and the French word of the week. To listen, just hit the “Play” button on the right side of the page (->), or use iTunes, or direct download.

“800 Words!”

- The quartet discusses Jo’s prequel to Harry Potter.
- John the Insightful.
- The greatest weapon is love!
- The cat chooses the wizard.
- It’s Jo’s own “fan-fic,” how is her handwriting?
- 800 words: The Prequel.
- John needs a job at Disneyland.
- A PotterCast PSA on safe kayaking.

RT: 74:55

Editors: Jeff Gregory, Stede Bonnett and Andrew Garner

LeakyCon 2009: A Harry Potter Conference in Boston
Podcast Alley
Digg
Terminus 2008

Direct download (36 MB).
Direct download low-bandwidth (9 MB).

Remember you don’t need an iPod to listen. Listen easily on iTunes, which you can download and install here, by clicking here to listen, or you can just use the streaming Flash player at PotterCast.com or just on the right side of this page. Discussion of the PotterCast is right here. Enjoy!

43 Responses to PotterCast 154: 800 Words!

Avatar Image says:

yay pottercast so soon! thanks guys. Can’t wait to listen.

I’m listening right now! :]

Avatar Image says:

YAY!!! can’t wait to listen! thanks pottercast peeps! :)

Avatar Image says:

YAY!!!! New pottercast, im listening to it right now!

Avatar Image says:

says it’ll take 2 hours to load grr…

Avatar Image says:

i’m listening! w00t w00t!

can’t wait till HPB trailer!

Avatar Image says:

LOL what’s with the song from Mulan at the end??? xD

CAPTAIN HOT!!!

Just finished. Hilarious!

Avatar Image says:

wow. that seriously was the funniest pottercast i have ever listened to. This is to Melissa: would u mind putting the pic of the hott pool dude in the galleries? :) Thanks!!!!

Avatar Image says:

Great show, guys. Thanks for the laughs!

Avatar Image says:

Although it’s like 4 in the morning where I live, I’m still going to listen!

Im listening right now! THEY ARE SOO COOL ;D

kissis 8))

Avatar Image says:

The song was “I’ll make a man out of you” from Mulan, which was referenced during the Kayaking story, which I know it shouldn’t have been funny, but I laughed, I’m sorry. Glad that everyone is okay. Have fun in the Bahamas Melissa!

June 11 baby, June 11.

Avatar Image says:

Great show guys. The drums at the end lasted forever!!!

Avatar Image says:

What are ‘Phoenix Files’?

Avatar Image says:

I still don’t know why you call it Sorcerer’s Stone when the real title is Philosopher’s Stone. I just read that Dan Radcliffe and other hp actors will attend Rob Knox’s funeral and Dan will present at the Tony Awards in NY next week.

Avatar Image says:

Yay! Downloading now. I don’t care if I have a Biology exam tomorrow, listening to Pottercast comes before revision. Am I right?

Avatar Image says:

No, no. Harry was born in summer 1980 ( we know this from Nick’s death date cake). So three years before that, it’s summer 1977. And in Deathly Hallows it says that James and Lily are born in 1960. So that means that this is going to happen between their 6th and 7th year (in the summer holidays).

Avatar Image says:

YES!!! another PSA!! love them…

Miriam

Its called Sorcerer’s Stone in the US because the publishers didn’t think our brains could handle the word “Philosopher” when relating to a book about Wizards. So to really make a long story short, in the US the title is Sorcerer’s Stone, as well as the Movie, because it speaks to a wider audience who may not know any thing about Alchemy,

Avatar Image says:

miriam, its because that is the title here, in the US.

duhhh=]

Avatar Image says:

Of course i know SS is the title in the US i just don’t know why you guys support the change when in fact it not JKR’s original title, and i think its surprising you admit to being too stupid to know what it means by continuing to use the WRONG title.

Avatar Image says:

@Miriam – no need to be defensive or start some beef up in here.

cool! will listen when I get home :)

Avatar Image says:

jo should put a little compilation of happy moments that don’t make it to the books in the scottish book. that would just make me happy. :) also, does anyone else still get a warm fuzzy feeling when jo comes on at the begining. i love it!

Miriam

I don’t think anyone said that US people were stupid because they use the title “Sorcerer’s” the title “Philosopher” didn’t appeal to the Scholastic people. I know JKR wishes (or I read somewhere) that she wishes that she had kept it the same, and I know (from interviews) that she wanted to keep it the same, it was scholastic’s choice in order to boost sales in the beggining. More people would pick it up if it screamed wizard, though with the power of word of mouth people would have picked it up anyway. But going back to the point the book is called “Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone” in the United States, that is the name of the book, just like it is called “Harry Potter und der Stein der Weisen” in German or “Harry Potter and the Philospher’s Stone” in England in it original format, no one is saying that that isn’t the original title. Just in the United States, we have a different, though slightly, version of the book called “Sorcerer’s Stone” (those words are going to lose all meaning I am saying them so often…)

Avatar Image says:

I just wanted to mention that for ‘Phoenix Files’ you all forgot to talk about the Fireworks scene. I’m listening to the last one and you all stopped b4 and fireworks and this one starts afterwards when Harry faints…unless I missed something?

Avatar Image says:

This card – I think that Jo will tell a humorous tale about James and Sirius (remember Sirius is living with James and his family at this time) sneaking over to Lily’s house late at night and getting caught by a cop. Hijinks to follow!

Avatar Image says:

tping isnt a thing that is a custom here in the UK. I hope it never becomes so.

Avatar Image says:

I love that John refrenced LOST during the kiaking story!!!! hillarious story guys!

Avatar Image says:

Oh my goodness! Frak, please, oh please draw the Bat-Bogey Hex & then post it on Leaky, I want to see it so bad!

Also, Leaky, will you come & give a live show at San Diego’s Comic-Con? I’ll be there & I want to see you!

& I think the Story-Card will be right after James & Sirius graduates, & just fooling ‘round…

Avatar Image says:

Oh my gosh, I have to comment again!* John, you’re coming to California?! Oh goodness! Please, please, please come to San Diego & do a live Pottercast at Comic-Con. Please….

Avatar Image says:

Philosopher’s Stone is a historical legend, Sorcerer’s Stone is fabricated nonsense. It’s not translation, it is pointless substitution. And i don’t see why Americans would embrace the fact they were considered too ignorant to know what the PS was.

Avatar Image says:

What was with the Mulan? xD

Miriam

Get over it, I am not going to continue to try to explain, it because you just want to argue. I don’t particular agree with the title change but that isn’t my call or yours, ultimately JKR agreed to it.

Avatar Image says:

What about James and Sirius getting a ticket, because they were ‘speeding’ on Sirius’s motorbike?

Avatar Image says:

Omg. I think I agree with J.

LOL, them speeding with Sirius’ bike is gonna be awesome!!!

Miriam,

If you don’t realize that it was done for dollars…then you’re not as smart as you think you are.

Avatar Image says:

Is it just me, or is the audio out of whack? Frak starts laughing at things before Jon even says them. It’s happened before too.

Oh, and it doesn’t seem very nice to bring up something (that sounds amusing) that happened in Florida, just to say “We’re not talking about it”. Why bring it up in the first place then?

Avatar Image says:

I think the prequel is going to be fun and light-hearted. There was so much sorrow, loss and darkness in the final book, that I don’t think Jo will write something too deep or dark. I bet it’s going to be some fun story or adventure that James and Sirius had when they were still in their teens.

About the kayak incident…LOL…I laughed like mad while Melissa was narrating that incident! You guys have some good fun,don’ you?! ;-)

Great episode as usual guys!Loved it!

Avatar Image says:

I agree with LisaMarie James and Lilly were born in 1960 this therefore makes them 17 lol not 21

lol im listening now