120

Jun 25, 2008

Posted by SueTLC
Uncategorized

Harry Potter actor Dan Radcliffe, “Goblet of Fire” director Mike Newell and Potter producer David Heyman are among those included on the hot list of nominees for The Hospital Club 100. Described as a “private social professional network for those working in the media and creative industries, The Independent reports this list of nominees for an award this year is “composed of people who have a direct impact, however lateral, within a specific industry.” Others nominated include Dan Radcliffe’s Equus director Thea Sharrock, actor Daniel Craig, author Ian McEwan, singer Amy Winehouse, as well as producers from Dr. Who, BBC Three, ITV, MySpace, and many columnists and editors from the local papers, including the Sunday Mirror and The Sun. According to the Independent, “the top 100 ’ the true stars of London’s creative industries and the powers behind the throne ’ will be announced on Monday 7 July. A party for all winners will be held that evening at The Hospital Club in London’s Covent Garden in association with The Independent Media Weekly.”

25 Responses to Actor Dan Radcliffe, “GoF” Director Mike Newell Nominees on Hospital Club Hot List

Avatar Image says:

It’s good that Dan is being recognised for this award.

Avatar Image says:

david yates is going to direct the 7th film.im my opinion he’s a crap director because in the 5th film he cut out soo much information from the book and hes likely to do that for the 6th movie aswell.we need to get alfonso cuaran or mike newell back, now they are good.

Avatar Image says:

I agree that Dan has very well earned this award, alongside the others that were mentioned! : ) Great job, guys!

Avatar Image says:

I personally have liked all of the movies in there own way but I agree that it could follow just a smidge closer to the actual storyline. That would definitely add the “certain something” directors are looking for to get a larger audience, wouldn’t it? hint hint

Avatar Image says:

Nice work! They deserve it!

Avatar Image says:

David Heyman is also on the list.

Avatar Image says:

I’m sick of people having a go at David Yates, you do realise that the making of a film isn’t just down to the director? The final product is down to the director, screenwriter and the producers, and they all agreed on whatever cuts they made. Also I think that Ootp was the most bloated of the Potter books and deservedly needed a great trimming down, and thankfully they left out the boring Weasley is our King story. Half-Blood Prince looks set to follow the book a lot more closer, in case that’s what’s worrying you, but you guys need to realise that it’s a lot more difficult to film a book like Ootp than it is to film HBP, so give them all the benefit of the doubt.

And it’s great that Daniel has been nominated for Equus, he really did an amazing job in the play and drew a lot of people and publicity to the West End last year while he was on stage. And congrats to Thea Sharrock, David Heyman and Mike Newell. I think it’s a bit crap that Jo Rowling isn’t nominted under “publishing” – biggest selling writer of last year!

Avatar Image says:

Great ! to see Daniel on the long list….he more than deserves it….hope he makes it onto the short list…...it would be very appropreate considering all the attention he helped bring to good theatre last year…..he deserves even more than this…...... and yeah,some of these names on here are rather odd,I think people were allowed to vote for themselves and some did [LOL!]..................OotP was one of THE best films of the HP film series ,David Yates did a wonderful job of a long book and I am SO glad he has returned for HBP :o)

Avatar Image says:

I never knew there were so many awards around… good for them! it is weird though… lol

Avatar Image says:

Miriam, you make some good points and I love OoTP but wouldn’t life be dull if we all had the same opinion (lol). As for the list, i’m sure Mike N ewell deserves high regard but GoF is my least favourite HP movie.

Amy Winehouse? Really?

Avatar Image says:

Scully—I think it has become mine as well

Avatar Image says:

Thank you miriam! Finally, someone has said that! People need to stop saying David Yates is “crappy” or “sucks”. It`s not just up to HIM for the cuts, so just be quiet already. No one wants to hear your BS up here. I know it’s just an “opinion”, but seriously, keep it to yourself. DY has gotten a lot of %#$@ in these comments and it’s getting really annoying.

Avatar Image says:

Congratulations, everyone!* I agree with most on this list (Except for Amy Winehouse) & I’m really happy that Dan Radcliffe & David Heyman made it!*

Avatar Image says:

I completly agree with Christine and miriam! I think David Yates is a realy kick-* director!!! Plus these guys have to think in the audience point of view not a fan’s. It may sound like a load of crap but it’s the truth.

Avatar Image says:

David Yates has been the BEST director of the HP films…..he actually made the characters in the HP films look REAL and not just as characters in aa play set to film. Thank you so much David Yates …........and HE should be on this list.

Avatar Image says:

I just wanted to get in my two cents saying that I love David Yates and was very happy to hear that he was directing DH. He brings a very gritty and adult feel to the movies that is necessary as the story progresses. The cuts from OOTP couldn’t be helped – it was a very long book (although my favorite along with DH). My only concern was that he had said (previous to OOTP) he thought the movies were too long, so I was glad when they divided DH into two movies. I also don’t mean to be negative, but does anyone else think Cuaron’s additions to POA were sort of silly? The Knight bus scene is too much for me in the movie, and the Whomping Willow’s sudden changes seem over the top. I admit I like the choir singing “Double, Double, toil and trouble,” but the ginormous toads? He seemed more focused on the magical than the emotional. Just a thought.

Avatar Image says:

Personally I felt like Cuaron really grabbed me and pulled me in, whereas Yates had me checking my watch.

Avatar Image says:

Why are you commenting on yates? What does that have to do with the topic? I don’t see his name on the list.

Avatar Image says:

ya how did we get to talking abou directors? but i think that cauron was way better he actually stuck to the books. unlike yates who stayed as far away from the books as possible

Avatar Image says:

omg!! Lisa, you took the words right out of my mouth! There was something about POA that I didn’t like and that was excatly it!! Some of the things he did was just silly….

Avatar Image says:

Isn’t this a British thing? Then why did they nominate Shia Lebeauf? Id din’t know he was British.

But good luck Dan! What a great honor. TO be up against Andrew Lloyd Weber, a giant in Theater – is a win in itself. It speaks of the influence Dan has had on the theater world. Less than a year’s stay on stage and he’s already nominated for this.

Avatar Image says:

yeh miriam but GOF was also a big book but mike newell managed and did an amazing job on number 4..my favourite movie of the lot…and for the 7th movie david yates wasnt the first director the producers approached it was mike newell or sum1else they wanted but he rejected the offer and they asked several others before david yates so he was a last resort….and its great you have your opinion on him but no reason to bite my head off

Avatar Image says:

I wasn’t biting your head off, I was stating a defence against the constant (flawed) attack against David Yates. Goblet of Fire was a far easier book to put to screen because it was actually a more action based book than Ootp, which is far more complex and internal – a lot more difficlut to bring out on screen. And to the person that said that Cuaron stuck “closely” to the books – did none of you not notice the liberties taken with the werewolf scenes? I loved what Cuaron did to POA, but I’m perfectly happy having Yates see the films through to the end. And people should stop griping about it so much, it’s happened now, just accept it.

And Newell hasn’t hasn’t been nominated because of GOF for this award, it is for Love in the Time of Cholera.

Avatar Image says:

in terms of acting, along with Cuaron, Yates was the best thing to happen to the series. People could some of you please learn the process of filmmaking, the cutting wasn’t all down to Yates, and I think the cut was a good job apart from the department of mysteries. Making a film adaptation is NOT about retelling the book, then there would be no need for the novel. It’s about changing into a completely different medium. The emotion, depth and development of Harry was tremendously done. Thank you Mr Yates.

Write a Reply or Comment