“Half-Blood Prince” Reportedly to Open with “Big Attack”

114

Jul 02, 2008

Posted by SueTLC
Uncategorized

There is an interview online tonight with new comments from actor Dan Radcliffe and director David Yates, speaking on the upcoming Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. The Sun has excerpts they say are from an interview conducted with Empire magazine and contains a new quote from director Yates on the opening sequence of the sixth Harry Potter film as follows: “We’re opening with a big attack. We’ll bring a major London landmark crashing down.”

While we can not be certain, readers will recall that there was filming on location in London on Millennium bridge (photos here in our galleries) earlier this year. Reports did state the filming on the bridge was for a sequence that would show the apparent destruction of the bridge, to indicate the ongoing havoc the Death Eaters are wreaking in the film.

The UK tabloid the Sun also has an additional quote from actor Dan Radcliffe who apparently is comparing the upcoming Half-Blood Prince to the classic cult hit film Trainspotting as he is cited as saying “There’s a fair amount of sexual energy and drug parallels. We have a couple of Trainspotting moments.” He also seems to indicate the growing intensity and serious subject matter of the new film, as the tabloid sums up by noting “There was just one promise from Daniel ” the dark parts are so dark, they’re black. ” You can also see a new photo of the actor at this link to the story.

Thanks to Mike, and all who emailed!

105 Responses to “Half-Blood Prince” Reportedly to Open with “Big Attack”

I think it’s rubbish

Avatar Image says:

what is Trainspotting? a movie?

Avatar Image says:

oh i see now. the whole story didn’t load before so i had no idea what it was talking about. :-) pardon me, i’m a bit tired from work.

Avatar Image says:

Yea, I would take The Sun’s reports with a pinch of salt. I remember when Richard Harris died and they reported that “they had it on good authority” that he would be replaced by past footage of himself rework and him CGI’d onto the set. Yea – it quite obviously didn’t happen.

Avatar Image says:

Yea, trainspotting is a movie with Ewan Mcgregor and it deals heavly with herion addiction. I just find it really funny how Danial compared HBP to trainspotting seeing as that movie has very….how should i put this? adult theme’s in it. intresting…....

Avatar Image says:

Yeah Man! I like the line its so dark that its black. Snapey Movie dark dark dark, me likey. I believe it. I think that the major London Landmark might be Big Ben, that is the only one I can think of. Of course I live in America- Never been to England maybe there is another one? We dont have to worry about there being too much sexual content because he just said fair amount which we all knew. I just hope it all plays out well.

Avatar Image says:

Perhaps “opening with a big attack” is just saying “opening with a bang.” Though there is the possibility that the opening will skip to Harry and Dumbledore visiting Slughorn, whose house looks like it was attacked. Unlikely, but there it could happen.

Avatar Image says:

I think this is untrue… it seems very unlikely that the movie would be opened with a ‘major landmark’ being destroyed, that’s a bit harsh, don’t you think? Every other movie has been opened with some… subtleness, I guess? The night, the dry landscape, etc. This is from the Sun? I think I read that right… well, we all know how truthful that thing is.

Avatar Image says:

I think the attack report is true.

What better way to show what’s going on in the muggle world. That would correspond with the boardroom as well. They could be seeing it happen.

I think it’s legit. But we’ll see.

Avatar Image says:

what? are they going to take down big ben or something?

Avatar Image says:

Well I wouldn’t be too surprised since this movie SHOULD be dark, but um, I’m still skeptical.

Lolz at the Trainspotting comparison though. ‘me xpecting some house elf to be on heroin now. Lovely.

Avatar Image says:

I think the attack report’s true because Fudge does mention a ‘Brockdale Bridge’ when he’s talking to the PM – it’s very small but on p. five towards the bottom when he’s talking about Amelia Bones’ and Emmeline Vance’s murders and a supposed hurricane in the West Country. It does seem like it could correspond well enough with the books…

Avatar Image says:

Katie’s probably right… I just read that first chapter again last night.

Trainspotting moments? Getting dragged into a pool by Inferi kind of recalls that toilet scene… and I’m curious to see how they handle that sectumsempra scene…

Avatar Image says:

I think “Trainspotting” had tonal moments where it could link to HBP. Big attack has to be the destruction of the bridge in “The Other Minister,” so maybe they’ve kept it, or at least elements of it.

Avatar Image says:

I do think this is true too. All I want to know though, is how they`re going to present that “big attack”. I just can’t play it all in my mind. This movie sounds like it`s almost going to be trainwreck. :( – Which I hope beyond hope it doesn`t!

Avatar Image says:

im in two minds “what a waste of parchment” (letter opening w/ fred/george)

okay, 1, i really dont trust the sun magazine or newspaper, or whatever it is. isnt it a suppermarket tabloid trashy thing? theyve made up HP stuff before, like the thing saying rupert thinks hilton and lohan cant act, which turned out to be bogus. 2, i hightly doubt dan would compare HBP to Trainspotting, with all the sex and drugs stuff. there is NO drugs in harry potter. even the antiharry potter warriors can agree with that. the closest we come to drugs is during OWLS where theyre offered “magical booses”.

but then, theres backup to this story. they ARE working in the bridge thing, so that parts true. but thats about all i believe

i think they decided to mention the bridge thing as “proff” that the rest of their made up story is true. i really hope that it DOES open with a bang, though. vive xe

Avatar Image says:

Then again, it could be scenes of harry imagining horrible dementor babies… ;)

Hmmm….

Interesting, very interesting…

Avatar Image says:

Oh yeah, I`m a little uneasy about the “big attack.” Hopefully Yates will pull through. ;) The dark parts seem so awesome. I`m pumped. I can feel a little Snape/Draco vibe in it. *whoo! I’m so happy. I really am. Remember that corridor picture of Snape & Malfoy? Yeah, that’s what I’m looking forward to. A mysterious and dark conversation between them that makes the audience wonder. AHHH! *dances!

Avatar Image says:

Well I do vaguely remember a quote from way back when stating that HBP would be “sex, drugs, and rock n roll”. Maybe the drugs refers to the Felix Felicis (sp?)

Avatar Image says:

Hmm. I’m not sure how I feel about this. If it turns out to be true, a part of me doesn’t like the sound of the ‘big attack’ I just can’t see them pulling that off right. But at the same time, I loved OotP and I think Yates did an excellent job with it so I trust him to do HBP justice as well, so whatever he does should look great…I’m kind of contradicting myself here aren’t I?

The drugs reference makes me laugh. That’s just a weird comparison. But the ‘so dark they’re black’ thing makes me excited! I love that the movies have taken a darker turn ;D

Avatar Image says:

Dan Radcliffe compared the sex and drugs in “Trainspotting” to HBP??? Not likely. Sounds to me like the usual fiction from that rag.

Avatar Image says:

I think the film will most likely be trash but I will probably see it 3 times. If the put the attack on the bridge I hope they get Tony Blair in to do a Cameo as the Prime Minister. That would just be a laugh making it worth the 9 bucks to see it.

Avatar Image says:

to quote a well known wrock band:

felix felicis makes me feel invincible

there’s the trainspotting parallel

Avatar Image says:

Maybe truth…maybe not..it’s so hard to take a tabloid seriusly…...but then this is taken from an up and coming Empire magazine interview…...interesting the camparison but i can see a little of where Dan is going with it and it makes sense—-though it might be a little exaggerated….And that would be a pefect opening…. Voldemort unleahes his terror on unsuspected victums….perfect!.

Avatar Image says:

it’s so dark it’s black? siriusly?

Avatar Image says:

When I see ‘Quidditch bum for Ron and Co’ under related stories I take this with a grain of salt :P Though who knows, there could be a bit of truth in all this.

Avatar Image says:

Well maybe its not the first thing we’ll see on the screen, but I can totally picture this attack happening at the beginning of the film. It would be an excellent way to set the tone of how things have changed since the end of OotP. As for the sexual tension, that makes sense, now drug parallels? Yeah… none really come to mind from this book (and I doubt the storyline is THAT altered to have the capability of any remote drug parallel), so I’m thinking thats a little story embellishment from the Sun tabloid.

But then again, I’ve never watched Trainspotting (its on my “To Watch” list though).

Avatar Image says:

Interesting…Can we have the teaser trailer now?

Avatar Image says:

I still want Tony Blair as the Muggle PM….no chance of course, but, one can always wish

Avatar Image says:

So i’m gonna have to say that this is not factual reporting..you know UK tabloids… or any tabloids in general. I do love the movie trainspotting, so I find it hard to believe that it would be compared to Harry Potter. Also, drugs have nothing to do with this series at all, why would anyone who read the books believe the movie would have anything to do with drugs? Its not that it would be a bad thing, it just has no context in the Harry Potter series.

Avatar Image says:

I just wonder than when Narcissa and Bellatrix are going to visit Snapes house. I always pictured that as the opening scene. But who knows, if we have a trailer soon we can perhaps put SOMETHING together in our minds instead of this endless pish posh of mubbly guessing. Hurry your butts up WB or I’ll pull a Bellatrix on you!!!!!!!! CRUCIO

Avatar Image says:

did Dan really say it all?cuz it’s the sun..so everyone knows just how unbelievable they are…i’d rather read empire online.if it’s true..i wish-minister opening scene..not a bridge blast..

Avatar Image says:

Only Yates knows if it’s true, and if he does film his own action scenes and keep his editor then we’ll be in for a lackluster opening. I still can’t watch the end of OotP and say happily, “I can’t wait to see DH part 2!” And for the supposed teen angst in this film, you may like to recall the “incredible complex relationship between Harry and Cho” in OotP. We all know how that complex fling (was it even that?) unfolded on the silver screen. If you can’t tell, I am terrified to see how Yates handles HBP. While I’m not quite counting him out, I don’t have much hope. Still, I’ll be there at midnight for HBP, only without the level of excitement from the previous installments.

Avatar Image says:

mubbly = mumbly, cant spell.

Avatar Image says:

If they are opening with a big attack, I’m fine with it, to be honest.

They do need to show what the Death Eaters have been up to that the Muggle Prime Minister needed to have to put up with-for the ones who haven’t read the book but plan on seeing the movie (like my younger sister). So if that’s what they are planning (which it kind of sounds like they are-because it is the only thing that would make sense) then I’m quite okay with that.

shrugs The movie is going to kick-butt no matter what, really. Haha.

-Muggle-Born-Witch

Avatar Image says:

oops… sorry for the cross outs (I forgot that happened) But I don’t really feel like retyping… sorry, then also, for my laziness…

-Muggle-Born-Witch

Avatar Image says:

i highly believe the big attack opening sequence is true… not so sure of the sun’s quotage though (just cuz they’ve not been too trustworthy in the past) but don’t you remember a while back when filming was under-way at millenium bridge in london? yeah, it was reported by that lynch girl (who, in the same quote, sorta revealed the two-part deathly hallows)... i’m sure of that cuz when i went to london i made it a point to visit millenium bridge and take pics because it was to be seen in number six, lol… i’d bet money that it’s a scene exemplifying the influence the death eaters are having even in the muggle world (ahem, chapter ONE of hbp) with the destruction of “brockdale bridge” and what not. i hope this movie is gonna be good cuz it sure sounds exhilerating, lol. better than ootp maybe? please?!

Avatar Image says:

stay tuned for bigger surprises…

[and the teaser being attached to Dark Knight isn’t exactly a revelation, I’ve been exhorting this point for over 2 months now]

and go see WALL*e, it’s a great movie and has a teaser for Quantum of Solace, a movie that’s releasing a few days after HBP

Avatar Image says:

You know what? I don’t even care if it’s true, it’s a news item about HBP and there have been precious few. It is possibly a sign of things beginning to trickle out, so I am happy, happy, happy! :)

Avatar Image says:

!! can you tell us how good, dark and epic the climax will be?

Please, give us some general info about it!

About the article, I do believe that one of the opening scenes will be the destruction of the bridge and I hope that the ominous scenes are going to be that dark but it’s the Sun which means…a grain of salt.

Sounds great.

Avatar Image says:

makes sense if true. Instead of the minister going through the exposition of explaining his problems as of late, the problems can be shown on screen. Plus I think it makes the danger come across more if you see it.

Avatar Image says:

As others say it is The Sun so take it with a pinch of salt for now.

But the attack thing sounds kind of plausible because one of the first things we hear is the muggle PM mentioning a bridge collapsing.

Not sure about the Trainspotting comparison. There is the love potion and the felix felicis… The only thing I can think of in HBP that might compare is the love potion scene compared to Spud’s speed interview, which is one of the funniest parts of TSp].

Avatar Image says:

I wonder what the spell is for bringing down a bridge? Rusto? Rusto maximum?

Avatar Image says:

So did Bill Nighy ever get cast as the Other Minister? If David Yates is good for one thing, surely he was able to swing that. Or did they replace that scene with some lame SFX sequence?

One thing that has to be said, though, is that an attack on a bridge is indeed Canon.

Avatar Image says:

“Big Attack” sounds like nonsense to me. Does the SUn think this is a Michael Bay movie? The whole Harry Potter story is meant to have already happened but oblivious to the muggle world. No landmark was destroyed in London and therefore will snap the audience out of the illusion and immersion in the film’s story. Opening up with Snape, Bellatrix and Mrs Malfoy is what I am anticipating with much excitement.

Avatar Image says:

COOOL!!!!! Eager to see it…. Yes, I need me some true dark moments with a lot of sexual energy… No more kids in Harry Potter! YAY!

:D

I’m just kidding… But I really hope this is gonna be the best so far, and YES, we need dark moments… after all, I think HBP is the darkest book in the whole series. Even darker than Deathly Hallows, because it is so subtle and terrifying in some parts… And for me, opening with a big sequence of mass destroy and London exploding gives EXACTLY the feeling that you have at the beginning of the book, when all the world has gone upside down, and there are a lot of deaths and tragic events. I’m really eager to see it.

Avatar Image says:

Uh, and don’t forget that at the beginning of the book they (Fudge and the other Minister) talk about “a bridge that has collapsed” or something like that… we are talking about HUGE problems in England: Voldemort is not into hiding, he’s acting, and HE’S DESTROYING AND KILLING! They also talk about giants mistaken for tornadoes, so, I think these scenes would absolutely be appropriate. And a great break would be opening with one of these scenes and then passing to Snape at home… hmmm so cool….

Avatar Image says:

OMG!! I have to go and watch Trainspotting right now!! BTW, I bet the big London landmark is the Big Ben or the London Eye.

Avatar Image says:

ZOMG!!! That sounds really interesting. I’ve only seen clips from Trainspotting and it’s really good. I might buy it on DVD. Well this has just made me even more excited for the film (which is saying something).

I don’t know about it being like Trainspotting. I think it will be like a slightly tamer episode of Skins (British teen drama which deals with a number of issues and the teens in the show party a lot).

Avatar Image says:

Haven’t time to read ALL the posts. So if I am saying the same thing, as someone else, forgive me! It would explain all the filming at the Millennium Bridge! It sounds amazing, to me! I’ve only seen the bridge, in question, in pictures. It would certainly open the movie with a “bang”. After all. Voldemort’s back, and wreaking havoc, on the Muggle World as well as the Wizard World. I hope this means either they are cutting the scene, with the Muggle Prime Minister, or at least shortening it.

Avatar Image says:

Just one problem: the Millenium Bridge wasn’t begun until late in 1998 and wasn’t completed until 2000. In short, it didn’t exist until after the end of the Harry Potter series.

Ooops.

Avatar Image says:

|| can’t you tell us a date for this bigger surprises? Just a date ç__ç

Avatar Image says:

I think this is true because they say their source is Empire and it sounds plausible.

I’m not surprised by the quote about Trainspotting from Dan because he always seems to exaggerate his references for the films. Remember he said the Harry was like Henry V (I think it was that one) and they were having a French Revolution and all that comparison? Well that wasn’t quite what the movie portrayed was it? ;)

My guess is, like the book, there is some drinking and there’s the Harry-Ginny sexual tension and of course Ron and Hermione have a ton of unresolved sexual tension and Jo alluded in the book that Ron and Lavender had a pretty physical relationship, so I’m not surprised about the “sexual energy” comment either.

And one thing for sure about HBP the book was that the light parts were the funnest and funniest of the series IMO, and the dark parts were the darkest and saddest and most horrific (thus far). So, that comment is encouraging.

I also agree with the above posters that the attack at the beginning is most likely visualizing what is stated in the first chapter of HBP- the bridge collapsing, the “hurricane”, the murdered officials, etc.

The Sun is a rubbish paper, but I’m inclined not to throw this out since it is most likely a set visit teaser from Empire Magazine.

Avatar Image says:

It makes sense that they would open the film with any attack. It’s not completely out of the question. I am wondering where Spinners End fits in this film time wise, though. Hmm.

As for the Trainspotting comment, I really hope Dan didn’t say it, because it’s a pretty bad analogy. Maybe it would be more like, “Dazed and Confused,” but even that is a stretch. Oh well, not a big deal.

Avatar Image says:

Ok I’m sorry but what drug parallels? Sexual tension, duh, but drug parallels? That part has got to be rubbish, I mean it is the Sun. Only someone who has never done drugs could possibly compare felix felicis and the other potions used in HBP to a movie about heroine addiction like Trainspotting. I don’t think Dan is that thick, he exagerrates a little at times, although how funny would it be if they had him skipping around humming a little tune to himself after taking the felix? Don’t ask, there is just something about the mental image of that, it cracks me up.

Avatar Image says:

I’m surprised it’s Millennium Bridge (aka Wobbly Bridge)—do any of you non-UK people even know what it looks like? If they were going to use a “landmark” bridge to replace the Brockdale Bridge in the book I would have thought they’d have used Tower Bridge. Much more recognisable. But it’s the Sun. Sigh.

Avatar Image says:

Oh come on people…!!! It’s THE SUN, they cut and bend things to their will… on that little quote (that probably have come from much more) Daniel is not comparing HALF BLOOD PRINCE to TRAINPOTTING. I get so sick of it sometimes…. IT IS RUBISH!

Taking a deep breath

Now, the bit about the bridge…. it will be really cool if they start the movie setting the mood, showing how bad things are in the muggle world, in the book there is a particular mention to a bridge collapsing, if I’m not mistaken. Cool… I think it is OK if they don’t show the Prime Minister scene (even thought it would have been fun) because it didn’t amount to anything in the end, did it?

Avatar Image says:

Oh, and the drug parrallels could be in relation to: Ron + Romalda’s Amortentia and Harry + Felix Felicis.

Avatar Image says:

Carol, I agree that it probably is rubbish. But even if Dan did say it, all it is is a bad analogy. I think everyone here has said something in their life and later thought, “oh wow, that made no sense.” It’s not a big deal, but since he is Dan Radcliffe, it will get blown way out of proportion.

Avatar Image says:

Guys it’s true. It’s quoting a yet to be released Empire magazine interview. So even though you may not like what’s being said, it’s true. And frankly I agree with Dan. Sexual energy and drugs refering to the love potions and FF potion – it’s an obvious resemblance.

Avatar Image says:

I just hope they do the scene in Downing Street, with the prime minister. My favourite scene in the whole series! It would follow on well from the Millennium bridge being destroyed, which is a really good idea, in my opinion…. for the film that is, not for real.

Avatar Image says:

Oh, puh-leeeze…Do we really have to go through this stupid “darker” business with EVERY SINGLE MOVIE? Grow up, guys…if you want dark, hit the kinky indie world…there are tons of them. DARK!!!! DARKER!!!! DARKEST!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe we’ll go into the theater and the movie will be so dark we can’t see anything on the screen. That would be, like, so…wow….cooooooool, dude, like squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Avatar Image says:

”...the Millennium Bridge wasn’t begun until late 1998…it didn’t exhist until after the end of the Potter Series.”

If I remember [and I may be wrong], there is not a “definitive” timeline of Harry Potter’s World as it relates to “muggle period of time”. Some “current Muggle architecture” has already been seen, and that would tend to leave room for the possibility of a Millennium Bridge “destruction”. Also, taking the mention of ‘Trainspotting’...[I’ve never heard of the film, and I did read IMDb’s synopsis of the film]. I think it might have been an off analogy of the film. I can see no “heroin addict” moments nor any real “sexual tension”. I don’t think the Ron/Lavender/Hermione thing is that intense…we also have to remember that this is a “scandal sheet” and tends to exaggerate thoughts, by taking off hand comments and putting them out of context. JMHO.

Avatar Image says:

SEX ENERGY?DRUGS?OMFG I CANT BELIEVE THIS! THIS MOVIE IS GOING O BE SUCH A BAD INFLUENCE FOR MINORS AND WILL RUIN THE WHOLE SAA I HATE YATES WHERE IS CUARON OR CLOMBUS PLZ APPEAR!! NOOOOO! GONNA HATE THIS MOVIE

Avatar Image says:

Well the BOOK does open with scenes of BIG ATTACKS!! So why not open the movie the same way? Makes perfect sense to me….

People give it a chance! Remember the books vs movies…hello 2 totally different things….

Cripes!

Avatar Image says:

To be honest I think it’s untrue. The Sun is one of the least reputable newspapers in Britain. Did anyone look at the links/ related articles? Anyone read the one where Dan was demanding 15 SAS trained men to guard himself and his dogs? It’s an old rumour, but it was printed by the same newspaper as this current one. Which should give you an idea of the accuracy of this piece of news. Although a trainspotting-style HP would be a w e s o m e….

Avatar Image says:

Didn’t Dan say in another interview that this would be the funniest of the series?

Wasn’t that interview from the Sun too?

Avatar Image says:

mollywobble, just because you don’t agree with it, it doesn’t mean it doesn’t make sense. I’ve seen Trainspotting and I can see parallelisms between HBP and it. I’m sure most of the people commenting about it here haven’t even seen that movie or read the book. Dan is a very educated person who reads a lot and knows much more about movies than all of us together. Also since he was a kid he has beem surrounded by many talented directors, producers etc so he has learn a lot and he knows what he is talking about. Some people writting comments are very arrogant talking as if their opinions were the only valid ones, and talking as if Yates and Radcliffe didn’t know anything about cinema. They know much more than us.

I know The Sun is a tabloid and most things they publish are rubbish, so even if those quotes are true, I’m sure The Sun are distorting and taking them out of context. Trainspotting talks about sex and drugs yes, but it also talks about many other things that can be compared with HBP. And even in The Sun, it doesn’t say there will be sex or drugs, it says there are “similar moments” and that can be refered about many other things, like the tone and emotion of the scenes. Like when Yates said the movie was about “Sex, drugs and Rock&Roll”, some people were so silly they took it as something literal, thinking there would be actually those 3 things in the movie. Some people just like to take evey quote Daniel says to use it to criticize him, when there is nothing to criticize. I would only critiize the way some people think their opinions are always better than the actors’ opinion, they are HP fans too, and much more humble people than many of the fans.

Avatar Image says:

I really wish Leaky would stop posting stories from The Sun. That rag is all about selling sleaze. It looks like some “journalist” may have heard about the Empire story, probably the bridge attack stuff. Then of course The Sun adds its usual garbage to “fill out” the story.

But come on Leaky. Is it asking too much to just wait for the Empire story?? Have Leaky fans become THAT DESPERATE for HBP news??

Avatar Image says:

@BellaSnape re “mubbly = mumbly, cant spell”...hey, I liked the word “mubbly” ;-)

Seth, nice one re Siriusly.

and just in general: alas, there is no indication that the other minister scene will be included at all, regardless of who we want in the role.

the HBP starts in 1996 (Harry is 16, he was born in 1980, therefore its 1996…). The films however have had only one specific date reference so far (the Riddles’ tomb in GoF), so ‘real time’ is less of an issue than in the books. and we’re dealing with generic Hollywood imagination (among Britons not Californians….), the fact that the Millenium Bridge was not built yet is immaterial…since when has history been accurately portrayed in popular films?

Molly, ConfederateL, and others, hi, good to see ya!

Avatar Image says:

okay, so the Sun has screwed us before, but i just can’t understand why they’d completely make this up…

as for drug references, i don’t think that there’s several of them, but there ARE some clearly evident. somebody mentioned felix felicis making harry feel invincible. and what about when ron eats romilda vane’s chocolate frogs? i think yates could easily set the scene up as a “trainspotting moment.” if the opening scene is indeed the millenium bridge collapsing, then i’m all for it!!! it’s something different, ya know?...

Avatar Image says:

I think they used the Millenium Bridge because they probably couldn’t get permission to film on or around Tower Bridge (which would have been awesome). Wld love to see this as the opening, then the title, then zoom thru (like in OoTP) to Spinner’s End scene.

Avatar Image says:

Maybe they’re gonna push the rating with this one after all. Landmarks blowing up, sex drugs and rock ‘n’ roll indeed. Maybe we’ll see Ron getting Lavender off with his broom? ‘Yeah ooh yeah, Won Won!’ Or perhaps they’ll actually show blood with Draco breaking Harry’s nose (hope that has made the movie) and with Sectumsempra later on.

Avatar Image says:

Trainspotting is one of my favourite films of all time but that comment just makes me laugh. Yeah, British tabloids are really reliable with stuff like that. Maybe Harry will turn into a heroin addict? How about drug withdrawl scenes with babies falling from the ceiling? Yeah I can totally see the connection with HBP.

The ‘big attack’ seems okay, though. We’ve already heard about the filming of the Millenium bridge collapsing.

Avatar Image says:

What is it with this guy and his London landmarks!!!!!

Still don’t understand why people didn’t like Mike Newell. ‘Goblet’ was the only movie that made me feel like I was watching the book.

Avatar Image says:

Nathan, relax. What is with the hostility? I don’t think I said anything to insult Dan? I’m not criticising Dan at all. I think he’s a fabulous actor, and he’s extremely bright and mature for his age. If anything, I was telling people to calm down, because i knew Dan would be criticised for the comment, or worse think it was a litteral comparison to HBP.

I do think the anology is poor, because I don’t think Trainspotting is about “drugs, sex, and rock & roll.” In my mind, it’s about addiction. But more importantly it’s about friendship and growing up, and how sometimes the only way to grow up is to litterally abandon your “friends” and start your life over. Trainspotting is one of my favorite films of all time.

I believe Dan is suggesting that their are fun, light-hearted moments in the film that resemble any teen’s life. It’s why I suggested “Dazed and Confused” as a better analogy than Trainspotting. There is nothing fun and light-hearted in Trainspotting. It’s about a young man destroying his life, and finally realizing that the road to happiness is to mature and leave your past behind you, and as Renton puts it, “Choose Life.”

Once again, I’m not blasting Dan. If anything, I’m hoping people, expecially the media, don’t get worked up over it and take it litterally, because we all say things that don’t exactly come out the way we want them too.

Avatar Image says:

I don’t see what all the fuss is about – this seems like it could be absolutely true (the bridge part). As “djm19” said, the first chapter of the book has Fudge talking to The Other Minister about attacks on muggles (of which they are aware, even if oblivious to the cause, “Professor Potter”), and even a bridge blowing up. They had a lengthy bit of filming on the Millenium Bridge – don’t you all remember the photos? Also, the Millenium Bridge is just a stand-in for another bridge (just like Savannah, GA was a stand in for Boston in the movie Glory, for ex.) – the one in the book Brockdale Bridge(?). It would be a pretty dull opening scene of a movie to have two ministers in an office just discussing the world events. They could start with the Bridge, move to the political talk, and then fade to Spinners End. Also, the quote is taken from Empire Magazine which is legit (even I, an American, know that).

As for the Trainspotting reference – that is more debateable as to the truth. The Sun has had many silly quotes attributed to the actors that just aren’t true. However, I definately thought of drug use reading HBP – Felix Felicis, Love Draughts, the fire whisky (or whatever it is), potions and poisons. They are Wizard Drugs people. Kind of like what alcohol and other commonly used recreational drugs do to us Muggles – make you feel invincible, amorous, uninhibited.

Avatar Image says:

HBP is my favorite book…hope HBP is my favorite film! ;)

Avatar Image says:

I know most of the people on this board are over 21, but it seems some have forgotten most HP fans are not. HP films are geared towards the under-21 crowd whether you like it or not. Warner Bros is not going to produce an HP film that in any way resembles some of those precious moments from Trainspotting. And yes I did see Trainspotting. The HP world doesn’t even use the word drug. Snape doesn’t create drugs, he creates potions. Again, we’re talking to under-21s. To believe that an HP character will be turned into some of the whack jobs from Trainspotting is absurd!!!!!!

But of course if the Sun, that model of great journalism, reports a quote from dan Radcliffe, it must be true!!!!!!

Avatar Image says:

I had a chance to check out Snitchseeker, and the Mirror has a more extended version of this comment:

So, this got me thinking. What if the affects of the potion create interesting visual moments for teh audience. For instance, in Trainspotting, you have several very visually graphic and (for lack of a better word) psychadelic moments. I’d actually really like that idea, and with the new cinemaphotographer, I think it’s possible. So there are definitely different ways of looking at it.

Avatar Image says:

Just to clarify my previous comment about the effect of drugs and alcohol – that is in NO WAY an endorsement – they are also dangerous, addictive and life-threatening. Many wonderful, young lives have been ruined by drugs – don’t forget that!!! That is the point – any invincible feeling is fleeting and quick.

I bet they’re gunna destroy Big Ben! ;c

Avatar Image says:

Oh please! Everyone, calm down about Dan’s comment – even if it’s true or not. You all are making this seem like it’s a life or death situation. Calm down. We will see the movie in November & then we can criticize all this. Geez. Good golly, I`m pretty sure Yates won’t have people naked running around in the common room having sex or something. Really. Or do you all expect Dumbledore to be on crack because he thinks it`ll cure his blackened hand?!?

Avatar Image says:

I too wish Leaky would stop posting stuff (I’m not calling it ‘new’) from THE SUN… Seriously guy!!! PLEASE! If it is a piece of an interview of the Empire magazine, so let’s wait until it comes out!!! I’m begging you!

And I meant ‘newS’

and

guyS

sorry about that.

Avatar Image says:

What are they doing with HBP…?! Trainspotting? Will we see Ginny in drugs…?

Avatar Image says:

Whoa, tomas! Take a deep breath! Let’s not get carried away, shall we? Also, folks, I don’t think that Yates has any “London Landmark ” fixation! LOL! It’s just one of the more recently famous London Landmarks. [Big Ben is tooo obvious!] Hi, budb! Good to “see you” too! :}

Avatar Image says:

I think people really need to reread the book “Half-Blood Prince” now. A bridge coming down is a big event in the first chapter. There has been stories about the film shooting on a bridge. What better way to have the audience see what the death eaters are doing then to show it. A film is a visual medium after all.

The book is loaded with what could be drug moments. Subtle ones and ones in your face. I mean in a way even Harry gets addicted to the HPB. Though JKR’s book wasn’t a drug book and I highly doubt the film will be either. I think it’s about life, our choices and the consequences for us and all thoses affected.

Avatar Image says:

What I find interesting is that when HBP came out the terrorist attacks in London were in recent memory that JKR did not feel comfortable reading the first chapter at her midnight party at the Edinburg Castle. She read about the Weasley’s Wheezes later on in the book instead. I guess the filmmakers decided that enough time has passed to create such a sensitive scene. Although I think this is obviously the better cinematic choice than hearing exposition from some men. I really hope they do this with the end battle also. I don’t want to hear about all the fighting Harry missed from everyone in the Hospital Wing. Hopefully they’ll cut back and forth between Harry/Dumbledore & the chaos inside the castle. I could care less about which bridge and potential drug parallels. It’s the big decisions they make on how to execute this film that will determine our overall experience.

Avatar Image says:

I think it’s true because didn’t they film along the River Thames and the London Bridge

Avatar Image says:

anyone else think the london landmark is the millenium bridge? i mean they were def filming there and they may just replace ‘brocklehurst bridge’ from chap 1 with that. After all it would be more shocking and convey that message of terror sweeping the country better as the millenium bridge is so well known. its logical

Avatar Image says:

I would LOVE the “big attack” to happen. That’s how I envisioned the movie when I read the book. We read about the PMs talking about attacks, but that’s not very filmable. I thought it would be a very appropriate addition for the movie.

I’m interested in the drug references. I thought that was a nice subtle touch in the books, but I didn’t think it’d make it into the movie.

I too am looking forward to more Draco. I was so worried his part would be glossed over.

Avatar Image says:

Wow! After reading through the comments, I’m surprised the drug reference would spark such controversy. There were, in fact, drug dealers and drug users in Hogwarts during the sixth book. They were the “Smart Drugs,” and Hermione chided Harry and Ron for even thinking about trying them, and pointed out that they were probably fake anyway.

Avatar Image says:

I think they could set up the opening very well for HBP with destruction and chaos. It would set up the mood for the movie quiet well. I think, like they did with Order of the Phoenix, they could use the whole newspaper thing and show the Prime Minister reading the article about the object that is being destroyed, and that would make a very nice transition into the first CH. of HBP. I love the fact that they are making the movies darker and more adult, but if they start using drugs I’m not sure about that. AND does anyone know if they have casted anyone for Scrimgeour?

Avatar Image says:

the couple of trainspotting moments, the drug paralles, could well be when harry drinks felix felicis known to make the user “feel invincible”, on top of the world (known effect of many drugs)

and the more obvious when dumbledore drinks the potion in the cave when he’s hallucinating about grindelwald and ariana

looks like to me as if he took some kind of hallucinatory drug

on the bridge subject, i really prefer the movie not tobegin with that loud of a bang, a more subtle sequence would be better off

Avatar Image says:

@erik: IMDb hasn’t put anyone up [as playing Scrimgeor] yet. They are usually “first on the scene” as far as casting goes. At least they have the most complete cast list of any I have seen. They do continue to add “smaller” castings, that are basically “uncredited”...but I’m sure that ‘Scrimgeor’ isn’t one of those! LOL It may be being saved for the “last moment”, as the filming is already complete. Who knows, right? :D

sweeeeeeet

Avatar Image says:

“There’s a great balance. The light parts are lighter than before, and the dark parts are extremely dark.”

Sounds great to me. isn’t the HBP book really like that? It’s lighter than the others because of the romantic flirting but also darker because of the death of Dumbledore. Looking forward to see it in November.

Avatar Image says:

“There is a fair amount of sexual energy and there are some drug parallels. We have a couple of what David Yates, the director calls our ‘Trainspotting moments’.”

Well quoted mollywobbles. Just goes to show people should check more than one source before criticizing soundbites supposedly made by actors. Especially when it is first seen in The Sun, which always takes quotes out of context. This now looks like a totally different quote!

Those getting either critical or defensive of criticism, remember that Dan is most often the actor who is asked for soundbites mid filming, so it’s inevitable that he will a) make comments, b) be taken out of context and c) be criticized more than the others for making comments! Plus, he is the most talkative of the lot, and thank goodness he is, otherwise we’d never hear anything.

Avatar Image says:

come on, remember how they (the ministers) talk about the london bridge being blasted by death eaters and a giant, that could be the big attack they are saying

Avatar Image says:

ok, hmm… i’m a little apprehensive about this film, given what david yates did to the last one. i really hope that the big attack or whatever is properly done, hopefully the millennium bridge gets cleanly cut into half and not crumble from cgi. though the latter will probably occur ):

Avatar Image says: lavidjio