First Look! Young Tom Riddle in “Half-Blood Prince”

113

Jul 29, 2008

Posted by SueTLC
Uncategorized

USA Today has a sneak preview of the upcoming teaser trailer for “Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince” which includes our first look at a young Tom Riddle as portrayed by Hero Fiennes-Tiffin. Director David Yates says of the the ten year old nephew of actor Ralph Fiennes (who portrays the grown up version of Tom Riddle, better known as Lord Voldemort) “His mother (Martha Fiennes) is a film director, and Hero was very focused and disciplined,” Yates says. “The fact that he’s related to Ralph wasn’t the primary reason for choosing him. It was an advantage that he looked very similar to Ralph. Of course that was useful. But primarily I went for Hero because of this wonderful haunted quality that seemed to bring Tom Riddle alive on-screen for us.”

Yates stressed how hard it can be for very young actors to find the necessary dark place to play such a creepy character. “But even though he’s the nicest child you’d ever want to meet, sweet-natured and pleasant, he got the corners and dark moods and odd spirit of the character.”

Fans will also see a slightly older version of Tom Riddle, as a teenager, who will be portrayed in the film by actor Frank Dillane. The other big news tonight is this new look at Professor Dumbledore in the dramatic cave scene (click at link, then on left side)In the heat of battle: Dumbledore (Michael Gambon) and Harry have gone on a perilous journey into a cave filled with dark magic and are attacked by Inferi, reanimated and haunted dead people. Dumbledore creates a firestorm to fend off the dangerous spooky creatures. “It’s almost a biblical image,” says Yates. “He’s a bit like Charlton Heston when he parts the Red Sea.”

As reported previously, the first teaser trailer for the sixth Harry Potter film will debut tomorrow online via AOL, and will also be shown in movie theaters this weekend before the film “The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor.” Of interest is the report that the film has indeed completed the editing process, and will begin rare test screenings next month.

141 Responses to First Look! Young Tom Riddle in “Half-Blood Prince”

Avatar Image says:

Oh wow. What great pictures! =) Young Riddle looks incredibly creepy…and the other photo looks epic! I seriously cannot WAIT until tomorrow…the Trailer is going to be amazing…at least I hope so.

Btw, it has taken me forever to get on Leaky. Is the site being bombarded by fans or what? Haha. =) I know it’s not my computer because I can get on other websites just fine.

WOW!!!

Isn’t he… SCARY?!

How amazing!!! I can’t wait for this movie!!!

Avatar Image says:

Has Dumbledore been out disco dancing?

Avatar Image says:

Yay!!! Hero looks perfect!!

Excelente!!! Primero.!

looks promising!

Avatar Image says:

Yay!!! Hero looks perfect!!

Wow!

WOW!!!

Isn’t he… SCARY?!

How amazing!!! I can’t wait for this movie!!!

Avatar Image says:

Young Tom Riddle looks almost exactly as I pictured him!! Love the glazed, and almost lonely look he has on his face! I also would like to add that Michael Gambon is starting to look more and more like the Dumbledore I imagined as the movies progress. 1st!?

Avatar Image says:

Excellent pictures but will the trailer be online at midnight or will they wait for a specific time to put it up????

someone please answer me

WOW!!!

Isn’t he… SCARY?!

How amazing!!! I can’t wait for this movie!!!

Avatar Image says:

I’M SO EXCITED! does anyone know what time of the day tomorrow the trailer will be coming online?

Avatar Image says:

YAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAAY!!!!!!!....im so excited i could PEE!..lol..he looks perfect for the part..it would seem the Feinnes genetics were destined to play voldermort..at any age!

Avatar Image says:

Young Tom Riddle is so intense I almost missed Dumbledore in the picture. He looks rather 70s though for a guy who was supposed to be in the orphanage in the late 1930s…

The cave scene photo is intense. I look forward to being terrified – even if I know it will all end well.

Avatar Image says:

OH WOW!!!! (squeels in delight) little Tom riddle looks like I imagined him! he looks real creepy and empty. and YAY! in that picture of the fire they made Gambon!Dumbledore looks like Harris!Dumbledore.

Avatar Image says:

the pictures look great. seeing the picture of young riddle gave me chill. it looks really creepy. dumbledore looks great. can’t wait ‘till tomorrow!!!!!!!

Avatar Image says:

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. tHIS LOOKS GREAT!!! Dumbledore looks like gandalf

Avatar Image says:

Wow! Hero, what a great name for this, looks perfect, and spooky. Just how I thought Tom should look. And Dumby looks like he did in my head while reading this part. Oh lord here comes the tears again. I wonder what time the trailer is suppose to show? Maybe I will stay on AOL till midnight to see :)

What great pictures!

You’re not alone Madeline. I’m having trouble accessing Leaky too. It’s hard to get to the first and second news pages. But I thought that Leaky did not have loading issues. :(

Avatar Image says:

Come on, he doesn’t look like young Tom! He’s too… feeble. I figured him as a child with malicious face.

Sweet!

Avatar Image says:

Wow! Hero, a perfect name for this role, looks just like Tom in my head. And Dumby does too. Oh lord here come the tears again. Remembering all of this. Yeah I’m wondering what time the trailer is to be shown too. Maybe I will stay up till midnight on AOL to see :)

What great pictures!

Avatar Image says:

OMGOMGOMGOMGOMG…I CAN’T BREATH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GAH!!! THESE PICTURES ARE BEYOND AMAZING. THEY FINALLY GOT DUMBLEDORE RIGHT!! AND RIDDLE…OMG RIDDLE IS PERRRFFECT!!! I’M OVERJOYED!!

What great pictures!

Wowwww

He’s looks so cute, yet oddly creepy

Avatar Image says:

OMG!!!!! Leaky you have made my night!!!! LOVE the pics!!

Avatar Image says:

Caption for the Dumbledore firestorm pic:

YOUSHALL NOTPASS!!!

Sweet!

Avatar Image says:

Great picture. I think the young tom riddle looks like leonardo decaprio. At least that’s what I think. I wonder where harry is in the picture with dumbledore. Is that mrs. cole in the picture with tom and dumbledore? The lady standing next to dumbledore.

Avatar Image says:

For those of you that have been asking, the trailer will go online at 9PM ET/ 6PM PT time tomorrow. For British fans that means that you will have to stay up late and watch it at 2:00 am on WEDNESDAY morning.

US EAST COAST: 9:00PM TUE US CENTRAL: 8:00PM TUE US MOUNTAIN: 7:00PM TUE US PACIFIC: 6:00PM TUE BRITAIN: 2:00 AM ON WEDNESDAY AUSTRALIA: DEPENDS BUT SYDNEY TIME AT 11:00 AM ON WEDNESDAY

The pictures do look amazing. The orphanage one does look exactly like how I imagined it as well. The cave scene should be epic as well. I can’t wait for the trailer tomorrow. Although I am not a big fan of the mummy, I’ll go check it out on Friday just to watch the trailer. I just love watching it on the big screen.

the pictures are great young riddle looks great icant wiat 4 the movie

Avatar Image says:

YAHOOOOOOOOOOO, finally!!!! Tomorrow can’t come soon enough! Who gets the test screenings? Chicago again? Or somewhere else? (Please say Seattle, please say Seattle… it’s always a secret, though, right?) I cannot WAIT for this trailer and this movie!!

AWW MAN!...SO AWESOME!

AWW MAN!...SO AWESOME!

Avatar Image says:

gibby chill out, we see your messages… no need to spam

Avatar Image says:

Ooooh! Young Tom Riddle looks creepy! Excellent. Dumbledore isn’t wearing a purple suit though . . . or maybe it is. It’s hard to tell. I hope it is :).

Avatar Image says:

Ooooh! Young Tom Riddle looks creepy! Excellent. Dumbledore isn’t wearing a purple suit though . . . or maybe he is. It’s hard to tell. I hope it is :).

Avatar Image says:

seriously gibby… STOP THE SPAMMING! we saw your message! THANKS for the very useful info, but a couple of times of posting it is enough…

yah right…just like the grown up voldemort..like he’s up to somethin bad

Avatar Image says:

Wow, Dumbledore is rocking a 70’s disco Wolfman Jack vibe. Young Riddle looks AWESOME.

*Do the Hustle, Dumbledore!

FINALLY!!!!!!!

Avatar Image says:

*Do the Hustle, Dumbledore!

yah right…just like the grown up voldemort..like he’s up to somethin bad

Avatar Image says:

I want to add that it is so cool that we get to see a young Dumbledore in this movie. How cool is that? It’s always good to see flashbacks of our favorite characters. It’s kind of like the flashbacks in OotP. It felt good to see the characters in their younger days and footage from the other movies. I wonder if Half-Blood Prince will also feature flashbacks. There is always a possibility unless a rumor is denied I guess. If the movie does contain flashbacks, hopefully they are improved upon, if possible. But regardless of other flashbacks, the difference between this flashback featuring Dumbledore (or memory in this instance), and the one in CoS is that this one is in color, not black and white.

Avatar Image says:

*Do the Hustle, Dumbledore!

Avatar Image says:

Nice pictures. Who dares compare Dumbledore to Gandalf? Gandalf is a sissy compared to Dumbledore.

Avatar Image says:

Oh man, the guy looks so creepy! I love it! Its like straight out of the book perfection. :D

I’m so reading to get back in the fandom with this movie, so bring on the trailer! :D

Avatar Image says:

Sorry about the repeats. My computer would not load my comment.

Avatar Image says:

I think Leaky is having loading issues.

Avatar Image says:

THESE ARE FANTASTIC! my favorite pictures relased so far!

Young Tom Riddle looks outstanding and Dumbledore?! OH MAN! AMAZING!

is way too excited

Avatar Image says:

I think Leaky is having loading issues.

Avatar Image says:

Awesome news! But, seriously… that picture of Dumbledore…. omg I thought it was GANDALF!!!! When I first saw it I thought it was some promo for The Hobbit or something left over from Lord of the Rings… weird…

Avatar Image says:

Wow, Hero as Tom Riddle looks amazing. He almost looks as I pictured him. I’m excited to see his acting.

Oh DD looks like Gandalf. :P

amazing.

Avatar Image says:

Yeah I thougt it was gandalf first tooo….. but that photo look great… and what a scary young voldy…

THE MOVIE IS GOING TO BE SO COOL

Avatar Image says:

Yes, Leaky is having serious problems. NO ONE is spamming. My first comment was repeated several times (this one may repeat as well) just like others. I think it’s just all this news coming in…Leaky may be seriously busy or something. It’s okay, though! It just goes to show how popular Leaky is! =)

Avatar Image says:

He looks perfect to play tom riddle !! Can’t wait to see the trailor later :D

Avatar Image says:

He looks scarily similar Ralph Fiennes.

Oh, and Im totally digging Dumbledore’s muggle suit!

Avatar Image says:

Count with me guys. 1 You only have to hit the post button once. The more times you hit it, the more messages will be repeated. Just open Leaky in a new tab if you want to browse some more and let the comment load, or close your window, reopen it, and see if it was posted.

Avatar Image says:

Love the pics! Really looking forward to the teaser (and full trailer to come) but hope not too much is given away.

Avatar Image says:

Ugh…Mugglenet is saying we won’t get the trailer until 9 o’clock AT NIGHT.

Isn’t it usually at 9 AM?

Avatar Image says:

Love the first pic. Hero looksgreat as voldie jr!! A little different to how I imagined but still very good. It’s already tuesday here in Australia so can we please have the trailer??Hahahah I’m joking but still I wish it worked that way! Anyone know what time it will be online? Can’t wait to see it!!

Avatar Image says:

according to mugglenet.com the trailer wont be put up until 9pm EST via satellite feed.

Avatar Image says:

How Amazing! I really like Dumbledore! Really, I can’t sleep till the trailer! Hope it true that trailer will be online tomorrow! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Avatar Image says:

OMG OMG OMG HE’S PERFECT!!! Exactly as he’s suppoused to be, look at the eyes!

Could we all just fast-forward time so we could watch the trailer?!

Avatar Image says:

Okay I have to continue….

Dumbledore in a muggle suite is ace. And the other picture is great(reminds me of the British book cover!).

I can’t get over the kid Riddle. He’s definitely got some scary messed up thing going on behind those eyes. OMGOMGMGO.

The cinematography so far has looked amazing. That is not surprise since Bruno Delbonnel is on charge – one of his major works is Amèlie and everyone who has watched it knows that the cinematography is just out of this world. I’m hoping for an Oscar nod!

I was excited before but I think my excitment level went up to thousand when I looked at those pics. This looks SO promising!

Avatar Image says:

THIS LOOKS GREAT!!!!!!Though does anyone know what time the trailer will be released????????

He looks so cute!!!

9 pm (est) on AOL !!!!!

Avatar Image says:

I love the young Riddle! Perfect! And Michael Gamdon played Gandalf I thought the same thing! XD

Avatar Image says:

Wow, the young Riddle is great! He’s pretty much exactly how I imagined! The Dymbledore picture’s good, too, but does it bother anyone else that he never wears his glasses? It bothers me a lot! but it’s really rare when Michael Gambon has Dumbledore’s glasses.

Avatar Image says:

Its Tuesday! Wheres the trailer??

Avatar Image says:

it bothered me at first that he didnt wear the glasses (i think his eyes look so gaunt without the specs to accent them)...but I notice it less and less as time goes on. It would definitely make sense to not have glasses in the cave scene or on top of the tower.

Avatar Image says:

For those of you who think Dumbledore (in the first pic) is wearing a 70s outfit, look again. It looks like a normal suit. It doesn’t have bell-bottom pants for one thing. It looks like he’s wearing a normal muggle suit, with a scarf on his shoulders and a cloak on his arm.

Avatar Image says:

Mursu, it doesn’t bother me that DD doesn’t wear his glasses in the movies. Mr. Weasley and Percy are supposed to be wearing glasses, because they do in the book, but they don’t in the movies, so it seems like a common thing to not bother with the glasses. Now, if Harry started not wearing glasses, then that’s another story!

Avatar Image says:

Man that Riddle is just PERFECT!,that guys awesome!

mise en scene FTW!!!

Dumbledore looks like Gandalf dressed as Arwen! :P

Avatar Image says:

Brianna, I agree – they are finally working on Dumbledore’s Gandalf personality trait – just proves that Michael Gambon can actually be epic and dramatic .. I can’t wait for the film to start …

Avatar Image says:

Wow. Young Tom looks fantastic. His eyes are completely empty. These are the kind of images I have been waiting for. Yay! Only a few more hours to go!

Avatar Image says:

Brrr, isn’t it 6am or what have you in America yet? It’s ten to one (in the afternoon!) in Ireland….

Trailerrrr please. :-)

Avatar Image says:

OMG!!! Leaky your wonderful!!!

Avatar Image says:

Wow indeed. This is really more Dumbledore heavy news than Riddle but young Riddle certainly has the look of getting want he wants by any means in devious calculated terms, taking whatever opportunity may come his way. Well done to the young actor for portraying that spot on in just a still shot! The fact that Dumbledore is looking rather dapper and “disco” is fantastic. Why? Because he is always eccentric, and fits with that “mild rumour” about him ;) But the fire scene is awesome and yes, does come across very Gandalf but hey, Dumbledore is partly Gandalf but as we all know more than that too. The anticipation and excitement has just taken its first big stride…with the trailer imminent, lets belt up, cos here we go…!

Avatar Image says:

OMG!!!! I just saw the trailer! I cant believe it, its nothing like what I expected, it started off with the WB logo, then some plain clothed wizard started singing “Never gonna give you up”...I think they’ve changed the storyline drastically :)

Avatar Image says:

Prof. Potter, didn’t you hear that Dan Radcliffe was fired months ago and was replaced by Rick Astley? Come on where have you been. LoL.

For all of you wondering, most reports said we wouldn’t see the trailer until 9pm EST. Considering it only 8 am EST now, we have a lot of waiting to do.

Avatar Image says:

young tom riddle is…......PERFECTTTTTTT! omg what a creep i love it! dumbledore on the other hand…sorry i have never liked gambon. he makes dumbledore look too mean. i swear, people that only watch the movies won’t be surprised by dumbledore’s past when it’s in the movies because gambon has acted so mean! it is supposed to be a shocker when we find out about the dumbledore/grindlewald relationship! he is supposed to walk around whistling and very polite, but gambon throws harry against trophies! dumbledore wouldn’t lay a pinkie on harry! i have to stress how amazing little voldy looks!

Avatar Image says:

HOHOHOHOHOOHOHOHOOHOHOHHOOHOHO….OH MY OH MY! I’m in love in that boy!( nothing strange:D). aaaaa…he looks perfect although he’s not so handsome like Jo described him. but he is sooooo The Dark Lord! and younger Dumbledore behind him looks-aaaaaaaaaa-also perfect! and in the cave too! i can’t wait for the trailer,few more hours!

Avatar Image says:

Where are Dumbledore’s glasses? Warner need to pay attention on the details…

I can’t wait for the teaser…!!!!! And young Riddle is really scary…

Avatar Image says:

Guys, they said that the movie had been narrowed down to two or three memories including this one and teenage riddle which may be when he asks Slughorn about Horcruxes and that’s it so most likely either No Morfin Gaunt and no Hepzibah Smith.

Avatar Image says:

Where are Dumbledore’s glasses? Warner need to pay attention on the details…

I can’t wait for the teaser…!!!!! And young Riddle is really scary…

Avatar Image says:

wow AMAZING photos! young tom riddle looks perfect!

Dumbledore…YIKES!!!!!

Avatar Image says:

That kid is perfect!!!! I was worried that the young Dark Lord would be all wrong, but he looks just right!!!! I can not WAIT for HBP to come out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Avatar Image says:

the pictures look GREAT! With each new picture, the movie seems to be getting better and better!! And Hero looks perfect for young Voldemort, just how I pictured him when I read the book! He even resembles the actor who played Tom Riddle in the Chamber of secrets film, which is a good thing. I was wondering how they’d do using different actors for just one character. They have pulled it off well!!

Avatar Image says:

Hero Finnes-Tiffin seems to have a prominent shadow side; just like his Uncle Ralph. shudder

Note: There’s only one letter of difference between “Hero” and “Herod,” yet another famous villain.

Avatar Image says:

I am wondering can you relly watch ot just see pic

Avatar Image says:

That is AWESOME!!!!! Gambon looks perfect…..And Riddle is really evil….

Avatar Image says:

What is really freaking me out is the comment in this post about “TEST SCREENINGS”. Dreadful news! These are screenings to randomly selected audience members (not true HP fans), and then scenes are deleted/added, endings changed, etc., based on what the lowest common denominator of viewers report. I really hope WB back the director, and don’t fold to dumb muggle pressure – or we might wind up with a jolly romp and a happy ending!

Sue, Melissa, we would love more info on these screenings, if you have it.

The Riddle boy looks fabulous – he is not MEANT to look evil. He is supposed to be charming and appealing enough to worm his way into the good graces of teachers and pupils alike.

Re the spamming – I don’t think it’s deliberate, just the site is sooo slow currently that the system hangs indefinitely when you hit POST, and so people are pressing the POST button several times because it looks like nothing’s happening (even though it is ….... eventually).

this is gonna be good.

HE’S PERFECT.

Avatar Image says:

on more thing- Tom looks like he’s in some kind of cell in the Ministry of magic,and not in his room in the orphanage.lol and I see everybody’s compaining about Dumbledore and Gambon.again. drop it. he’s excelent!

Avatar Image says:

Its 2:37pm, Whens the trailer going to be out!!??

HE LOOKS PERFECT.

At first, I thought he looked too… soft and childish and adorable, but then I realized, having a sweet-looking little Tom makes it all the more eerie. And the expression in his eyes is great.

The Pensieve scenes are the bits I’m looking most forward to seeing in the film. I hope they don’t cut them too short, though.

Side note: I still find it a little bit too funny that a guy named ‘Hero’ is playing the villain. If Hero Fiennes-Tiffin were a Dark Lord, he could scramble his name to spell “He is Nero F. Ffinniten” or something.

Avatar Image says:

Matea, I’m one of many many people who are going to have to disagree with you!

Avatar Image says:

I love his haunted look—it’s perfect for a young Voldemort, and the image with Dumbledore in the cave looks fantastic! I can’t wait to see the trailer tonight…!

Avatar Image says:

yay yay yay yay yay! it just finally set in for me that there really may be a HP6 coming out. of course,the trailer would really confirm this suspicion…. where is it?

Avatar Image says:

Hero looks great, but the set?! Not the subway walls from the DOM again!

How hard was faded peeling paint? But no, they had to reuse a highly recognizable set….. you know I’m sure they’re really proud of how hard they work on these set pieces, but they really need to let it go a bit, and make the rooms look like they are described.

Avatar Image says:

What on earth… Dumbledore is looking like Gnadalf.. The kid is good however.

Avatar Image says:

When I read the book that is how I pictured Tom Riddle, sad, caculating and you can see the touch of evil also hate in his eyes. They hit it right on the mark. Its scary just looking at him.

Avatar Image says:

It might just be me but that sure doesn’t look like a purple suit Dumbledore is in…

Avatar Image says:

Today’s news reminded me of the Harry Belafonte song, Kingston Town; specifically the following verses:

...I’m sad to say, I’m on my way, won’t be back for many a day.

You see folks, as you have found out today, editing was finished this past Thursday and so my work on this film is over. Whatever little I could tell you, my friends, I did, and now I think you’ll be very satisfied with what our marketing folks have lined up for you. Right now, all signs point to my returning for DH 1 & 2, so I’ll be of most use to you approximately two years from now :-(

I will leave you with one final tid-bit and some comments that may be taken as a word of warning, or a simple “heads up”. Hope you enjoy the show.

That stuff is up at my blog. I’m not going to link here to avoid spamming. Those who are interested already know where to find it, the others can wait for some time to get all the info from WB officially. Please, do not link to my blog in comments. Thanks.

Avatar Image says:

Not sure if anyone knows this, (havent read all the comments) but the trailer is already out on msn.co.uk, should see a link on the home page

Avatar Image says:

does any of u have l l’s blog..?

Avatar Image says:

Its driving me up the walls

Avatar Image says:

He looks soo creepy and a little like jeremy clarkson. If voldemort didn’t grow up to look so serpentine he’d look like jeremy clarkson, poor guy

Write a Reply or Comment