115

Aug 15, 2008

Posted by SueTLC
Uncategorized

As the fallout continues from the stunning announcement yesterday by Warner Bros to reschedule the release of “Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince” to July 17, 2009, the publicity machine had already been in place, including the upcoming feature on the sixth film that is due in the new issue of Entertainment Weekly. In a lengthy profile that features actor Dan Radcliffe as Harry Potter on the cover, the magazine also contains the first look at Narcissa Malfoy (Helen McCrory) making the unbreakable vow with Snape (Alan Rickman) and Bellatrix (Helena Bonham Carter) during the dramatic Spinner’s End scene. Also of note is word that screenwriter Steven Kloves has turned in the first draft of the script to the “Deathly Hallows” film part one, noting the break in the two films is “not where I originally anticipated.” There are also new interviews with Dan Radcliffe, Rupert Grint (who speaks about Ron kissing Hermione in Deathly Hallows), Emma Watson and more. You can see scans of the magazine, which is due on newsstands today, here in our galleries. (Thanks to ohnotheydidnt Live Journal community)

Other new photos from the sixth Harry Potter film have also surfaced online, showing a host of new images including Snape and McGonagall testing the poisoned necklace for dark magic, Bellatrix in some sort of area that is on fire, Harry Potter with Professor Slughorn at his Christmas party sporting their festive attire, Dumbledore and Slughorn and a meeting of the Slugclub. You can also see these new images via this link to our galleries.

UPDATEEven more new photos have surfaced online, and thanks to Occlumencia who let us know about this new photo of Won Won and Lav Lav, a fanatic Bellatrix Lestrange in the Great Hall of Hogwarts, Harry and Ginny, and Dumbledore and Harry on the way to pay a visit to Slughorn.

84 Responses to First Look: Narcissa Malfoy at Spinner’s End, News that First Draft of “Deathly Hallows” Turned In

Avatar Image says:

wow love we get to see her now and not have to wait till bloody july say it isnt so about movie cutback

Avatar Image says:

Hmm, I wonder where the break is in this script. Also, the Snape pic is fantastic. hehe

Avatar Image says:

You know what, after yesterday’s kick in the stomach, I’m just not in the frame of mind to care about the films right now and the “token make-the-fans-feel-better” publicity. Maybe later when the shock’s worn off…

Avatar Image says:

I DO NOT EVEN CARE! Notice how they are trying to placate us with this crap after dropping that bombshell on us of moving HBP back? Not gonna work, Wb. I don’t even want to see these stupid pictures.

Avatar Image says:

Boycott, boycott, boycott. Don’t buy the magazine, boycott everything to do with WB 100%, films, TV, products, everything. Make them feel it where it hurts, on their bottom line. Petitions alone are not going to force them to change the HBP release date back.

Avatar Image says:

WB should just go ahead and change their name to “MoneyGrubingSackofDung”. I’ve decided NOT to go see any more of the movies. What a bunch of crap!

Avatar Image says:

I don’t care what jingoistic crap WB spout: to warrant a MAJOR rescheduling of the film, there must be problems…BIG problems…the film was due to screen for the studio execs this month – isn’t a little odd that as soon as that happens, the release date is wrenched from Nov to July? And so soon after a teaser was released trumpeting: “November”?

Avatar Image says:

WB should just go ahead and change their name to MoneyGrubingSackOfDung since CLEARLY they are all about nothing but the money. I’ve decided not to see any more of the movies, what a load of crap!!

Avatar Image says:

yeah i love harry potter but pushing the movie back that far makes me sick!! yeah just because im such a nerd i’ll look at the pics and probably love them BUT i know they’ll make me hate wb even more for the push back release date!!! :P

Avatar Image says:

whats going on with narcissa’s hair??????? is that a hat or is the top of her hair brown??

Avatar Image says:

You know, if they continue to throw out pictures from the film at this rate, we’ll be able to put togeter our own movie ‘til july 09.

Avatar Image says:

The movie HAS screened, for the execs, and there will [as I understand it] be no change in the Royal Performance. The changing of the dates had more to do with other studios and the overall repercussions of the Writer’s Strike. I appologise, by the way, for my comment in the ‘Date Change’ thread….It was the Writer’s Guild of America. Unfortunately, it affected EVERY studio’s releases. Now, to the topic at hand! I think the views of the movie, with new pictures and such, are great! I, for one, will NOT be “boycotting” magazines or the movie [when it DOES come out!] We really DO have a lot to look forward to. Leaky, thank you for your prompt report, of this matter [cool that you “scooped” Mugglenet and the others! LOL] Also, for keeping up the pictures and other articles and things, reguarding HB

Avatar Image says:

is narcissa’s hair half brown?? please tell me what you think!!

Avatar Image says:

I don’t see the point of giving us pictures after telling us their crappy news. Warner Bros you suck a lot. I do have a feeling that we will be getting a lot of pictures in the future…a lot of things leaked. I made of a video on youtube about this. It’s on my youtube account – Wierdgirl5834.

Avatar Image says:

Let’s go guys, we can change the world and the stupid decissions of men with expensive ties. WE CAN FIGHT ALL TOGETHER AGAINST WARNER BROS!!! All the fans!! Let’s go. First of all, we can send a lot of emails to: susan.fleishman@warnerbros.com; jayne.trotman@warnerbros.com; desiree.finnegan@warnerbros.com; vanessa@hpfilms.co.uk, and we can send our opinions to different media. IT IS NOT FAIR TO WAIT ANOTHER YEAR!! Jo Rowling, please, could you support us?? And most importantly, one threat: WE REFUSE TO SEE THE FILM IN THEATERS IF IT DOESN’T RELEASE ON NOVEMBER!! We are going to download Harry Potter and Half-Blood Prince by Internet if that doesn’t happen. The only possible date: 21th of November, 2008. Our last word. The Harry Potter fans. Come’ on friends, Are you with me?? It is possible to make an on-line survey??

HELP!

And big kisses to all Leaky Cauldron.org users from Spain ;), of course!

Avatar Image says:

Whoa. But it’s gonna take a lot to satisfy us after the other bombshell.

i love harry potter so SIGN IT

Avatar Image says:

Still mad… What have they given Narcissa to wear??? Alan Rickman is wearing blue. wierd.

Avatar Image says:

I guess all these media outles posting these interviews must be getting really annoy by the WB’s change on the release date – I think yesterday was the day of the media reveling a lot of the interviews done a few months ago by the actors – I won’t blame the media if they don’t promote HBP by July – media outlets like Elle, EW and other publication will loose money for running stories about HBP when the movie is not even close to release!!

Avatar Image says:

I’m so sorry I posted so many times…. My comp would block everytime i tried to post!

So sorry!

Avatar Image says:

I’m so sorry I posted so many times…. My comp would block every time i tried to post!

So sorry!

Avatar Image says:

Ok, I hope no one minds if I highjack the conversation back to the PICTURES, rather than bemoaning WB’s disappointing decision to push back the release date.

Ok, in the new picture stills (the 2nd link), I’m going to go through them one by one (note, if you haven’t read the book, SPOILERS are below)

Well, at first I thought they’d got the necklace wrong, but then I realized that I was the one that had gotten it wrong. The entire time I was thinking “pearl” in my head for some reason, even though it is clearly an opal necklace. I guess I was thinking that opals kinda look like pearls (and some kinds of opals do), but fire opals are certainly the color of the stones in the necklace in the picture. It looks very cool.

I like the slug club scene, with Ginny apparently showing up late. That says to me that there is going to be some tension in that scene between harry and ginny. I can just imagine the entire thing. Oh, man, why july??

Ok, the next picture I really like. It is so clearly the scene in the house where dumbledore and harry convince slughorn to come to hogwarts. If you look very closely at dumbledore’s hand, you can just make out the gaunt ring on his finger.

Not much interesting about the next picture. you can again see the green fabric on the walls. That is on with the book. I like little touches like that.

I’m going to say that the bellatrix picture is during the battle at hogwarts, on the grounds, in front of Hagrid’s cabin after it has been set on fire. Can you see it there in the background? you can barely make it out. I like that they put her there, even if she wasn’t there in the books. It adds a lot of tension to that scene, and builds her up as a bad guy. I can tolerate departure from the book when it makes a better movie and doesn’t conflict with the tone or world of the book.

So sorry!

Avatar Image says:

I’m in on that boycott!! IF they were having problems then THAT is what they should have said so I am taking them at their word that they just want a bigger release. Maybe because Batman broke records? Bunch of crap about this beinging better for the fan! Better for WB…or so they think. I will see the movie eventually but along ways away from the big release that they want. I for one am going to show them the power of the fan versus the power they try to hold over us.

What did i do wrong?

SUCK UPS!

Avatar Image says:

I still don’t understand. I read an article this morning suggesting they’re going to split HBP too.

Did they just have a test screening? Maybe it went really bad. Like worse than Golden Compass bad. Worse than first Hulk bad. Not even bad enough to be good like Starship Troopers or Police Academy. Hogwarts Troopers? No that’s going to be the last movie. Hogwarts Academy? Marion Ramsey as Luna and Bob Golthwait as Peeves but that’s all I got.

If they really are doing it to catch a better opening in the summer, they’re just doing it for the money, it is a corporation with responsibilities to shareholders. They’ll listen to those shareholders but not you.

There are a couple of options though. If Potterheads bought up enough WB stock, we should use that leverage. I have a small stake but not anything I can raise my voice too loud with. Be assured I will none the less.

A petition wouldn’t work unless you were really able to convince them that all the signers will not only boycott the release but the dvd as well. You know Pink Floyd almost didn’t release Dark Side of the Moon because there were so many bootlegs floating around? I don’t want to suggest anyone do anything grossly illegal like that but someone’s bound to get that POed.

As long as they keep filming on schedule (so the kids aren’t 30 by the time the series wraps) I don’t really care. I’m surprised WB has enough confidence they can stay on top of things with a delay like that. Some will lose interest with a wait that long not to mention the fact that the movies at this point only vaguely resemble the saga anyway.

SUCK UPS!

Avatar Image says:

Sounds cool, I’ll have to pick this issue up- EW owes Harry Potter after dissing it in the Twilight article.

Avatar Image says:

Can those saying the delay is because the movie is rubbish (e.g. Yates haters) please help me out. Why has it moved to a more competetive slot?- wouldn’t this lead to an even worse box office? If they’d shunted it to February and banned press screenings (the sure sign of a turkey) I’d be worried. WB also insist HBP is complete and any reshoots would soon leak out. I’m as angry at WB greed as anyone but that isn’t Yates fault – at least wait to see the film before criticising it.

Avatar Image says:

How terrible. It’s all about MONEY, whether you call it the dollar or the pound.I think we should all protest when the movie does come out by boycotting the opening weekend. This would cost WB millions. Sweet revenge!!! We should at least threaten it. But honestly, I think Potter fans would be to weak to do it.

Avatar Image says:

Well done, Leaky, in getting the article and pics up. I love seeing Spinner’s End, and Ginny looks great at the Slug Club (nice decor, too!). Despite the other bad news, I really enjoyed the article and the pics.

Avatar Image says:

These pictures just make me even more sad….. They look FABULOUS… and we have to wait till July…. : (

:sigh:

I guess… it now makes sense why they waited so long for the teaser….. I mean do you think they knew this all along? Who knows… I wish they would have given us the July date… so we didn’t get our hopes up about it….... :sigh:

I suppose we are just going to have to wait it out… Let’s be honest.. we are upset now…. but when the time comes we won’t even remember….

: (

Avatar Image says:

No, Narcissa’s hair isn’t half brown. It’s a hat. Why would it be half brown? Why would anyone think it’s half brown? You may have well asked if Ron’s hair was actually a red bowl.

Avatar Image says:

I don’t even care anymore… that last piece of news was just too much.

New pictures or no, that is inexcusable.

Avatar Image says:

I have to say that we should prove to WB that there are financial repercussions for this move. I think that we should not view any WB movie until they decide to move the date back to something reasonable (I could wait until Jan-Feb) but July 17th, come on. I really would like to see us UNITE and show a major corporation that there are reasons to be loyal to those who have supported such a popular franchise and that they should take a more reasonable approach to the release date.

Avatar Image says:

I’d like to have read all the previous posts before throwing in my two cents worth, but that’s going to be impossible since the site is going so slow. All I want to say is that I am so disgusted by this disgraceful move by WB that I just don’t give a flip about any new pictures or articles. They can shove it where the sun don’t shine.

Avatar Image says:

Well said, Confederate Lady!

Many people commenting are sounding like petulant children. Lord, just read the book again and you’ll get the story. WB isn’t a non-profit organization. Stop touting them out to be some kind of evil emperor set out to make you cry (and, my heavens, I’m worried for you if you cried about this).

Avatar Image says:

We can all say Boy Cott all we please, but the truth is, were hard core Potter fans, and fans of our calibure do not boy cott anything Potter related! If we boy cott the magazine or anything that has Potter in it, it will prove their suspicions that Potter is getting too drawn out and fans are thinning out. DO NOT Boy Cott the magazine, BOY COTT WB MOVIES until HBP comes out! Show them that we DO have power at the box office and they disrespected the wrong fans! Talk about slapping the fan base in the face, they wouldnt do that to Star Wars fans!

Avatar Image says:

Well said, Confederate Lady!

Avatar Image says:

did anyone else notice that dan has green eyes on the cover of the magazine??? maybe they are finally noticing thats a big deal! haha

Avatar Image says:

I love Narcissa’s hair and Bellatrix’s too, it looks less crazy than from OotP(even though she was, lol.) Now what’s this that I read about Harry flirting with a waitress in the opening scene of the movie? That is way wrong!!!

Avatar Image says:

The_Duppy on page 1 has just described perfectly how almost everyone feels. I feel way too numb at present to absorb these interviews/pictures so soon after yesterday shocker. This will take a little time to subside and WB is only rubbing salt into our wounds. Best thing for WB to do is shut the hell up until we our rage subsides.

Avatar Image says:

I DONT CARE ANYMORE, yesterday was the most traumatic day EVER!! and now even if they are trying to calm me down with new pics, I’m still pretty MAD right now, I really don’t think is fair for them to do this, Alan Horn should have thought of this earlier and not now, I think is disrespectful for him to do this in the last minute just because of the money!!

Avatar Image says:

Did anyone notice that the new IMAX 3D date for the 6th movie has been moved to Nov 21, 2009???

WTF! Originally both the regular and the IMAX 3D movies were going to be this nov. 21. Now they’ve moved the regular to july and the imax one to the end of nov!!!! Screw them. What do they want? People to watch the one in July, then shell out another 15 dollars and see it again in 3D? When normally they would pick one, now they will probably watch both.

There is only so far you can push fans. Soon they realise it’s not worth it.

Avatar Image says:

At this rate, and with nearly a year ahead before the film´s release, we´ll have the whole lot of it in stupid pictures…

Avatar Image says:

“We can all say Boy Cott all we please, but the truth is, were hard core Potter fans, and fans of our calibure do not boy cott anything Potter related! If we boy cott the magazine or anything that has Potter in it, it will prove their suspicions that Potter is getting too drawn out and fans are thinning out. DO NOT Boy Cott the magazine, BOY COTT WB MOVIES until HBP comes out! Show them that we DO have power at the box office and they disrespected the wrong fans! Talk about slapping the fan base in the face, they wouldnt do that to Star Wars fans”

kerri,that’s a good idea,so why not start a petition on the petitionspot website?

Avatar Image says:

after change in release date and WB’s such a greedy move, I REALLY DON’T CARE FOR NEW MATERIAL ON THIS FILM.

why they are publicizing a movie which is about to release almost a year after. you know, I really hate WARNER BROS!! WB is such a *hole.

Avatar Image says:

That’s not exactly how I pictured Narcissa in my head for that particular scene…I imagined her wearing robes, like an everyday witch…but I guess this will do, as well. I’m terribly disappointed with WB pushing back the release date. I wouldn’t have minded if it was by a few weeks, but EIGHT months?! I was only pacified when Summit Entertainment announced that “Twilight” will be released 3 weeks earlier, on HP’s original release date (11/21). Go Summit + Twilight! Boo WB!!

Avatar Image says:

I’m not going to open any links to the movie. It’s going to be a long haul to pass the 11 months, but at this rate I’m sure we wil be able to piece all the scenes togetherand make a movie flip book. We could hum sound effects over the top. So, to not spoil the movie when ~I finally see it ~ WB will be unable to win me round with snap shots. Just play the frikkin movie!!!! Folds arms, pouts.

Avatar Image says:

Wow, it’s amazing how I have absolutely no desire, not even the remotest urge to click those links and see these pictures. I’m not even angry right now, I’m just…numb about it all. WB’s stupidity and greed has just switched off all my enthusiasm for the Half-Blood Prince film, it’s quite astounding. Now I feel perfectly fine about ignoring any fresh attempts from WB to recreate the hype. shrugs and totters off

Avatar Image says:

U know, WB, ur a bunch of moneygrabbing freaks. Giving photos out after that kick in the yesterday, that just means ur afraid people won’t come & c the film after such a long wait. WB have other films they can make money with, why don’t u just say there won’t b a HBP film, seeing as u have already done that!!!!

Avatar Image says:

I’ll tell you what’s up with the execs at WB: since the last book has been published, they’ve seen the end of the yellow brick road, and they don’t like it.

Avatar Image says:

Oddly, no one seems interested in the Dh split (lief, the announcement that DH would be released as two movies came months ago). My guess is that the best spot would be “Christmas Day”, after Hermoine and Harry escape Voldy and return to their tent, where we learn Harry’s wand got snapped. That is the “low point” of the book, things don’t look like they can get any worse, etc…and of course everything begins to improve from there.

In order to pass the time while awaiting HBP, I’ve started watching the West Wing series….bought the entire thing on dvd so I can enjoy at my leisure. Last night was an episode from the 3rd season, focusing partly on a fan website devoted to the character “Josh Lymon”, and the obsessive fans that chattered on about him daily….. for those that have the series, you might get a good laugh about the similarities!

and, oh btw…West Wing was a WB product. lots of movies, tv series, etc etc are WB products. so those of you calling for boycotts better be prepared to turn off your tvs, watch no movies, and head to the library for huge stacks of books to keep yourselves busy if you are at all serious.

My only comments about the abrupt change of date: the long wait for the trailer suggested “something” wasn’t right. the announcement delaying the release seems to confirm that. However, the ONLY excuse given is that the movie is projected to make more money next July than it would this November (something I doubt, frankly, especially when you consider the delay translates into lost revenue in the short run). as Laughing Man suggested elsewhere, the entire decision implies there are bigger problems somewhere that WB is not discussing….

My hope is that with the delay the movie will be gone over and over to ensure it is perfect, that all the story line gaps get taken care of so that when we see the final credits to DH2 appear the entire series will make sense.

Avatar Image says:

This scene looks like it was lit with a flashbulb! Dull, flat, boring. I think Harry Potter might have just jumped the shark.

Avatar Image says:

budb: There are no problems with the film. The thing about WB getting a bigger gross in July is just their stupidity talking, they think if they release it at the same time of year as the Dark Knight they will somehow get a much bigger gross. I think they’ve fixed it in their heads that this is the new magic blockbuster release time or something, because Dark Knight was released at the same time in 2008 and did so well. We fans know this is crap, POA was the first (and one only two) HP films to get a northern hemisphere summer release and it was the lowest grossing film. PS/SS is the highest grossing and that film, along with COS and GOF, was released in the northern hemisphere autumn.

No, Alan Horn is not lying when he says he has seen the film and it is fabulous. I’m sure he has seen the complete film and I’m sure it is fabulous. The film is done. There are no problems with it. Unfortunately for them, they didn’t lie about that. If they had lied and said there was a problem with the film itself there actually would have been a lot less anger from fans, surely you get that.

No, sadly and pathetically, the reason WB is doing this is that other reason they gave. They’ve already made loads more than they expected from Dark Knight. So their total gross for 2008 already looks fantastic. But they don’t have any blockbusters lined up for 2009 really, because of the writers strike (which only happened due to their failure to negotiate with writers) apart from the next Terminator film, which they don‘t expect to make nearly as much as Dark Knight or Half Blood Prince.

Therefore, in order to not be criticised by their shareholders for not making enough money during 2009, they’ve knocked HBP into the middle of 2009. They could’ve at least put it in the first few months of 2009, but again, see above, WB is now absolutely convinced that July is some kind of perfect, magical release time. Of course it was the controversy about Heath Ledger’s death and the usual posthumous actor worship that lead to the high gross for The Dark Knight, not the release time.

So we’re left with WB shafting the consumers and licking the shoes of their shareholders. I hope you understand the whole sorry business now. sigh

P.S: I hope this post didn’t sound too patronising, I just wanted to make the things that Alan Horn said as clear and easy to understand as possible for everyone.

Oh, and I don’t have a problem boycotting any of Time Warner’s products for the next year, and I will. I have more than enough willpower and wiles to boycott HBP (I’ll just buy a ticket for a non-Time Warner movie and go into the HBP cinema). Haven’t watched Cartoon Network in 3 years (owned by Warner), barely watch any movies and almost all of the fictional television I watch is produced locally in New Zealand or Australia. So no problems boycotting WB, Time Warner and associates.

Avatar Image says:

Yeah, I know. They really did away with Helen Mccroy. Here hair is insane. You know, I would really hate to be Jessie Cave. It would take a lot of money to get me to be all over Rupert like that. I am still angry about the movie pushback.

Avatar Image says:

Lots of cool info in this article—Rupert Grint cracks me up. This may be a little off-topic, but anyone know what scene they might be talking about for the “opening sequence” where Harry flirts with a waitress? The only thing I can picture is him trying and failing to charm Rosmerta, but why would the film open with them at Three Broomsticks? Is it possible that Dumby picks him up in the first scene and they stop to get a drink on their way to see Slughorn? Or do you think this is at some muggle cafe with his relatives? What are your thoughts, guys?

Avatar Image says:

We understand MattJ. You weren’t patronizing. Yes – Money talks…. But still Bud has a point. Look at the ugly mess Yates made of the unbreakable vow still. It’s the most unimaginative mise-en-scene for one of the most entrancing moments of the books. Snape looks dumpy, Narcissa looks completely different (individual imagination aside) from Rowling’s description and it looks like it was lit by a three-year old. Directors need to protect their actors from looking like this. Not send it out to sites as a panacea. This could have been one stunner of a still. But it’s dull. I understand having an auteur’s vision but this is a disappointing vision. If this is an indication of what’s to come then there might be problems.

Avatar Image says:

YUCK @ NARCISSA’S HAIR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THEY RUINED ANOTHER CHARACTER’S TRADEMARK LOOK YET AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Avatar Image says:

someone was talking about alot of the take outs of the movie in another bulletin like the memory visits with harry, i just want to know how and where the info comes from..

Avatar Image says:

I’m disgusted with WB. I AM BOYCOTTING ALL OF THEIR MERCHANDISE, FILMS, AND OTHER VARIOUS PRODUCTS. I will not see the film, and I will not buy their crap, or see any other film they shoot out at us. This is NOT BECAUSE OF THE WRITERSSTRIKE! WHAT A LOAD OF *t! AND YES, Narcissa’s hair is brown, and Tom Riddles is actually light brown! THANKS ALOT YOU MONEY GRUBBING IDIOTS! and Harry’s eyes, STILL BLUE!

Avatar Image says:

Is that really all we’re worrying about? The fact that sixth installment of the Harry Potter film franchise is not going to be out as soon as some of us would have it? Don’t get me wrong…I love Harry as much as the next person…but really…

Sorry. I’m a realist.

There are more important things happening in the world.

Avatar Image says:

actually, MattJ, found your approach more amusing than anything …not quite sure how you came to the conclusion I had not read the most recent postings and fan responses closely (not to mention several past years’ worth) . but, no matter….

my points remain the same: as a business decision, postponing the release makes no obvious financial sense. the increased revenue from IMAX theatres in July 2009 will not balance the revenues lost bytnot releasing the film as scheduled. plus the loss of “good will”, not just from the average fans like us, but from cancelling out the Royal Premiere. its a remarkably stupid business decision based on the available public information.

and for a WB spokesperson to state so baldly that profit was the primary motive is, well, even more remarkably stupid! Even if true, that was an amazing stunner of a thing to say (imagine a CEO from an oil company standing up and saying “sure, we’re speculating on the price of oil to drive up the cost of gasoline!”).

Now, again, since there are now an extra 11 months, HBP should be gone over to ensure the most important story line gaps that have accumulated in the first five films are taken care of and explained: Regulus Black, the locket at Grimmauld Place, the two-way mirrors….and those are just examples from OotP! Since we have no choice, I’ll be patient until next July, but I’ll at least hope the directing/writing/editing team will review HBP as the continuation of the first five films, as culminating in a two-part DH, and then do their collective best to cover up any mistakes while they can

Avatar Image says:

Writer’s Guild and possibly the release of Twilight.

Avatar Image says:

I was so angry when I found out that I did not want to look at those stupid pictures. However, my friend had a great idea. WB wants money from the Harry Potter film right? So why don’t we boycott all the films that WB releases in the future? They can make all the money they want from Half-Blood Prince but their other films won’t make a cent. That will show them not to mess with the fans. Petitioning isn’t going to really strike them, but I believe this will. So from now on I will not see another film released by WB until Half-Blood Prince comes out.

Avatar Image says:

The sad thing is that my reaction to all of this is m’eh. I would have been thrilled to see new pics a few days ago, but right now it does nothing for me. Pictures should be building to the excitement of an impending release, not trying to placate us. I’m truly surprised how uninspired I feel.

That being said, I do have to comment on the Unbreakable Vow picture. That is one of the best scenes in the whole series, and this looks… well, awkward. The scene should be dark and almost spooky. This looks cheery, as if Bellatrix is instucting Snape and Narcissa on how to do an English Country dance (think Pride and Prejudice). What’s with the wrist grabbing? And Narcissa’s two tone hair looks silly. I know. It’s just a photo, which can’t convey much. Too bad we won’t know if the scene is any good for another year.

Avatar Image says:

Tried to stay away all day. Still pissed. Still boycotting. Don’t care a rat’s patootie about these stupid, day late and dollar short pictures.

Avatar Image says:

I’m quite agreed with budb, if WB thinks it’s that easy to break a promise, than we shouldn’t trust WB at all!

I’m not going to see any WB movies or buy any WB products until HBP is out! I think I’ve already wasted enough money on WB.

Avatar Image says:

Narcissa’s hair looks ridiculous. I don’t understand why they find the need to change things for no apparent reason. In addition to this she looks far too old to be Bellatrix’s younger sister.

In terms of the release date, yes it a shame.

However, what people need to remember is that it’s keeping the franchise alive. As much as I hate to admit it there will be a day where Harry Potter fans will have nothing new to look forward to at all. After spending years speculating, discussing and such we’ll just… know.

And that will be that.

So I say just enjoy the time we have to discuss the unknown elements of Potterdom and enjoy it while it lasts.

I know I will be.

See you all on July 17th :-)

Avatar Image says:

looney bird, I’ll respond to you with a revised part of a post I made elsewhere.

The only thing, the ONLY suitable response to this move, in my opinion, is to NOT BUY TICKETS for Half Blood Prince at all. AT ALL. I am a huge fan, yet I can do this. I have to make a moral stand, even if it means depriving myself of something I really want. We have to do the hard yards. Sorry, that’s the way it is.

Boycotting all Time Warner releases (WB and New Line) and products from all of Time Warner’s child companies is a great addtion to a Half-Blood Prince boycott, but not going to see HBP makes up the meat of the boycott and without doing that, the rest is near enough worthless, you’re still giving WB the massive HBP gross that they are counting on in 2009, which is exactly what they hoped to achieve by making this move.

If you end up going to see HBP, you’re doing exactly what WB expected you to do when they made this decision: be upset with the decision, maybe threaten to boycott, but to end up going to see Half-Blood Prince anyway, because “true fans” wouldn’t or couldn’t bear to miss the movie, or cut off their nose to spite their face, or whatever other nonsense has been said against the idea of a boycott. I am a true fan. I’m certainly a hardcore fan of the books, after all, they came first. The movies are a great and hugely entertaining addition to the fandom which I look forward to, that’s why I will not support WB trashing the hopes and expectations of moviegoers with broken promises and corporate greed.

Prove WB wrong. Boycott HBP all the way to the DVD release, cable release, or the discount (1 dollar or 50c) cinema. Don’t let them mess with moviegoers and snatch longstanding release dates back this close to the release, ever again. Yeah, releases get pushed back now and again. But almost always for more sensible reasons than this. This is a COMPLETED movie.

Avatar Image says:

Cissy’s two-toned hair is ridiculous.

Where is DD’s blackened hand?

Why does WB f-up the most basic character descriptions? sigh

Avatar Image says:

Yo, I’m upset about the date move, and it sounds fishy. They didn’t just realize that the summer release of OOTP made great cash, that has been solid knowledge since it came out. Duh. So I think there’s something else up.

And I just finished rereading HBP so extra-bummed!

On other/related topic, I think the still shots posted from the HBP movie look stilted and uncreative, boring cinematography and scene setup. How many profiles-of-2-characters-looking-at-each-other can there be?? Or Great-Hall table shots with students lined up on each side, with stiff facial expressions? Even the Snape-Bella-Narc photo looks a bit non-actiony. The Slug Club with Ginny coming in at the door looks like a dinner for Prince Charles or something, snooze. And I may be the only one to think that “young Tom” looks pretty cherubic, instead of hollow-cheeked or like he’s lived a bit of a rough life. He looks pretty pampered and contented, maybe too like Damien from Omen, who had a cushy, very loving household and all. The orphanage headmistress looks maternal, warm and caring, not like in the book at all for me. And the orphanage looks much more inviting than I imagined. Young Dumbledore seems to have hit the mark though, esp. considering Gambon’s physical limitations. BUT ~ regular Dumbledore has the SAME ROBE AND HAT he’s now worn for at least 2 movies ~ c’mon, he’s gotta change robes once in a while!

The view outside Slughorn’s house with Dumb’re and Harry does not look creepy, scary, tense, suspicious or any of the feelings it gives in the book. It looks like they’re bleeping-going shopping in broad daylight or something!! Aargh.

So I’m not sure the movie is ready… at least for me the still shots don’t do much to capture what I think is the best of the 7 books. Thanks for listening!

Avatar Image says:

“I really would like to see us UNITE and show a major corporation that there are reasons to be loyal to those who have supported such a popular franchise and that they should take a more reasonable approach to the release date.”

I totally agree Dave! I, for one, will be boycotting wb until HBP. I will also send a strongly worded letter. (But first I need an address. Anyone?) And I’m gonna buy the shirt on www.cafepress.com/WizardsStand. And wear it everywhere.

And MattJ, you didn’t sound patronizing. Thanks for explaining your opinion!

Sign the petition!: http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/harrypotterfilm/index.html It needs more signatures!!!!

WB should know not to mess with Harry Potter fans!

Avatar Image says:

Had a moment to return and catch up on the comments here…

we agree, obviously, that this decision makes no sense, from any viewpoint, including WB’s own financial self-interest. that’s what makes it so bizarre. since it is an illogical decision, that raises the possibility that there were other motives involved.

look, I’m not trying to argue with anyone, its simply not worth my time and energy. but some are unaware of the process of making and distributing films, and perahps a final effort will help clarify some misunderstandings

it does not happen often, but occasionally “completed” films are re-edited, scenes deleted, or added, the score changed, dialogue added as voiceovers, or on very rare occasions even new footage shot (the most famous example of added footage was for the classic ending to Casablanca). i’ve even heard of films being “tweaked” between the first premieres and the general release. does it happen a lot, no. does it happen, yes. Films, even when “completed”, are not marble statues that are unalterable.

now, given the 11 month extension, i do feel it is reasonable to hope (please note word choice, and see below) that there be some effort to ensure HBP is perfect, both as a stand alone film and more importantly as a crucial segment in the entire series. here’s the opportunity for true auteurs (as one response described Yates) to get a film done right (we can have fun debating whether Yates rises to the level of auteur!).

so, that’s my hope…my expectations are far lower: i think that the film will be locked in a cabinet until next July, tho we’ll probably start hearing about bootleg copies circulating at some point.

Avatar Image says:

out of curiousity, did any one see the original version of Star Wars, which was the first of the summer blockbuster movies? I’m referring to what is now “episode 4, a new beginning”, originally released in 1977. Compare that (if you have access to a copy) to the revised version with added special effects curently on the market…

Avatar Image says: I don't think the film has come up to expectations of WB and they're still fiddling around with it. I never go to cinemas anyway so WB are unlikely to get any cash from me from cinema release.

Write a Reply or Comment