Aug 19, 2008

Posted by EdwardTLC
Uncategorized

There are two pieces of news online tonight regarding Harry Potter author J. K. Rowling and honors she recently received. First, the Mythopoeic Society, which is a non-profit agency promoting the study and enjoyment of mythic literature, has chosen Ms. Rowling the winner of its Mythopoeic Fantasy Award for Children’s Literature. This award “honors books for younger readers (from “Young Adults” to picture books for beginning readers), in the tradition of The Hobbit or The Chronicles of Narnia.” J. K. Rowling was chosen by society members for this award which nominates and awards authors for their work annually.

On a related note, Ms. Rowling has been included on a list Britain’s best-loved authors. The Telegraph reports that Ms. Rowling came in number three on the list, with authors Enid Blyton and Roald Dahl coming in first and second. This list, created to mark the 2008 Costa Book Awards, polled adult readers on their favorite authors. Authors who made the top ten include: Jane Austen, William Shakespeare, Charles Dickens, JRR Tolkien, Agatha Christie, Stephen King, and Beatrix Potter. The full list of fifty authors can be found via this link.

Many congratulations to Jo!

25 Responses to J. K. Rowling Wins Mythopoeic Society Award; Named Among 50 Best-Loved British Authors

Avatar Image says:

Wow! Third on the list! Surprising to be up there with Shakespeare, Austen, Dickens, Tolkien… WOW! I guess Rowling is noted that HP got more people to read so in a way that makes sense. I always dreaded reading in school especially classics by Shakespeare and Tolkien. I have great appreciation for them now but as a junior high and high school student, they were a pain to read! I envy the kids that got to read HP for their classes!! Ugh! I was born in the wrong time LOL

Avatar Image says:

Woot, second to comment? Sweet Jo you own! I’ll be the first to squee for you jo!!

Avatar Image says:

Awesome. She deserves it.

Congratulations Jo!

Avatar Image says:

oohh two of my favorites female novelists on that list jkr & austen :)

Avatar Image says:

No wonder ‘Harry Potter and The [name one of the 7]’ is on my son’s High School AP English Reading list, this year! He’s a senior, and I was very surprised to see ‘Harry Potter’ on an AP English/Lit Reading List. I’m not surprised, now! Fantastic, Jo. You have not only inspired kids to read, you’ve inspired Teachers to encourage imagination and reading to their students…at ALL levels! Congratulations and thank you, for your sharing of your imagination, with the world! BRAVO!

Fantastic! Congratulations, Jo.

That’s quite an impressive and varied list of authors. It definitely includes some of my favorites.

I was interested to see that the Costa Award was the Whitbread Book Award until 2006. I didn’t realize they had changed ownership.

Pat

Avatar Image says:

I would re-order that list a bit, but yeah, well done Jo. If she’s apparently a better author than tolkien or shakespeare, then I think WB should respect her a bit more….

Avatar Image says:

I think WB show Jo a startling amount of respect actually Pigwidgeon. I’ve never know a writer to have so much power on one of their projects. This is a nice honour and pretty cool that only her and Stephen King are the only living authors in the top 10

Avatar Image says:

Congratulations Jo! Very impressive to be included on the list with those authors. She has definitely earned her spot there. She deserves every award she has recieved and many more, in my opinion.

Avatar Image says:

Awesome. She deserves it.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Avatar Image says:

I don’t know if she deserves it THAT much lol! But you guys are right, it’s nice that she’s got another award to add to her collection.

I guess authors like Shakespeare and Tolkien are only incredible to people who have the patience to read them.

Avatar Image says:

well deserved, but where in the 50 is lewis carroll? where is robert louis stevenson? where the bloody hell is jm barrie? rushdie? joyce? umberto eco? mervyn sodding peake? and WHY is dan brown there? i’m just thankful they haven’t included ian mcewan – then we’d really be in trouble.

Avatar Image says:

There isant alot of news lately.

Avatar Image says:

I agree that Dan Brown is a stretch, but JK Rowling’s style of writing includes major themes used in great literature, and her mastery of plot detail is excellent. The Harry Potter series appeals to children and adults as well. thanks you Jo!

Avatar Image says:

YAY! Go Jo! She deserves every award they giver her for being an awesome writer as well as an amazing person! I’d like this kind of news to get in the view of the general public. That way my teachers and friends would stop looking at me in a funny way when I say JK Rowling is my favorite author. (I was particularly infuriated by my english teacher’s reaction.) By the way, is it just my computer or is Pottercast.com really down?

Avatar Image says:

Linny, I have the patience and reading ability to read Shakespeare, but I have never understood why people think it is so exceptional. The only exceptoinal thing in my opinion is that the works were written hundreds of years ago, which makes them historical. But otherwise many, many people today have a far better writing style, and more interesting plots.

Avatar Image says:

Congratulations on the Mythopoeic Award Jo! And Third favourite Author in Biritain is great! This is a superb list of exceptional Authors and Third place is a great placing!

Avatar Image says:

Wow, you go Jo!!!! I think it’s awesome she made it up there with one of her favorite authors, Jane Austen. That’s just too cool…. She totally deserves it!

Avatar Image says:

YAY!!! YIPPEE!!! YES! CONGRATULATIONS ,JO! YOU DESERVE THIS ONE ANYWAY DID YOU KNOW THAT I AM A BIG FAN OF YOURS? WHATEVER, YOU KNOW NOW . CHEERS!!

Avatar Image says:

congrats Jo, the list is good although id like to have Tolkien higher on the list inthe top 5 certainly with Jo as both HP and LOTR are just that good. i wish tolkien had been in the books i had to read in highschool but alas no, I got the Grapes of Wrath, A tale of 2 cities and of mice and men. For the record i live in the USA so the way school testing is different than Great Britian’s methods to be sure but im sure there alot of hp fans that are moving into highschool would love to have any of the books as book they can read for class. On a side note i like so many others would love to hear Jo speak on the release date being pushed back for HBP, but after careful thought i am not cetain there is anything jo can do about it and perhaps that coupled with not wanting to disappoint her fans by having to say “sorry folks theres nothing i can do” . and besides im sure insisting on one release date over another is not one of the things wb would have given Jo inthe contract for the movie rights she signed

Avatar Image says:

I am so happy for JO!!!! p.s. a TLC note: the leakycon site isn’t working :(

Avatar Image says:

As an English major in college, I greatly appreciate the depth in the books. Just a few examples: A mothers love saves Harry at the beginning, and a mother’s love (Draco’s mother’s love for Draco) saves Harry at the end. Snape agreed to protect Harry because of his love for Lilly. Dumbldore keeps saying that V. will eventually lose because he does not value love. You can write a lengthy essay comparing Harry, Snape, Vold. because they have very simular backgrounds, but came out differently . Dumbledore keeps talking about how our choices define who we are. Vold. took his pain and became so evil that he rips his soul apart on purpose. Harry also has a painful past, but he chooses to value friendship because friendship is his escape from his aunt and uncle.

Congratulations, Ms. Rowling!

Avatar Image says:

Congrats! Joanne this is why i try every day to get my father to read Harry Potter! there’s so much more to it ! thank you jo u inspire me and move me!!! thank you my idol!!

Write a Reply or Comment