Emma Watson Attends Royal Academy of Dramatic Art, Featured in Italian Vogue

280

Aug 22, 2008

Posted by SueTLC
Uncategorized

Emma Watson has written a new message on her official website, where the actress reveals she attended the Royal Academy of Dramatic Art over the summer. The actress, who portrays Hermione Granger in the Harry Potter films, wrote that she took a course at the prestigious academy in London, England where she “made so many friends and learnt so much.” This school is noted for such distinguished alumni as fellow Potter actors Alan Rickman and Kenneth Branagh to name but a few; you can learn more about the Academy via this link.

Emma Watson also wrote that she recently went on holiday to celebrate completing her A level exams (and Hermione would certainly be proud of Emma’s scores which were all straight A’s-Congratulations Emma!)

Finally, the actress let us know she will be featured in the new issue of Italian Vogue, which is due out later this month. The magazine will feature Emma in a fashion shoot that took place just outside of Paris,France, where she was lucky enough to sport Haute Couture for the event. We will update once that magazine has been published.

54 Responses to Emma Watson Attends Royal Academy of Dramatic Art, Featured in Italian Vogue

Avatar Image says:

Go Emma! I hope that you will go beyond the HP series and not end up on those “where are they now?” shows. It would be nice to see you on stage or on the screen some more. ^^

Avatar Image says:

Good for Emma. Yeah, I agree. I hope she does other things after Harry Potter is over. Second comment. Whoooooo. God, I have no life.

Avatar Image says:

Emma is so intelligent and bright, it seems almost a waste if she just did acting!! Its clear her favourite subjects lean towards art and literature but she got 9 grades As in a variety of art, science and maths subjects with distinctions. She is gifted all right and will excel to the top in what ever career she embarks on.

Avatar Image says:

Emma is such a wonderful role model – well, the HP trio is! It’s refreshing to see and hear how “normal” childhoods they’ve all had – as normal as they can have and as their parents can give them. I don’t doubt that Emma can achieve whatever she wants, in whatever field she chooses.

And yes, it’s a bone in my backside to have to wait until summer to see HBP.

Congratulations to Emma. She’s got an even brighter future ahead of her! :D

Avatar Image says:

Wow Emma, congrats on your exams! :)

Avatar Image says:

Wow, congratulations Emma, great job writing so many “Outstandings” in your NEWTs

I wish you a brilliant profesional live whereever you decide to go

Avatar Image says:

right on, Emma! Very well done! She is a wonderful role model for young ladies (heck, older ones too). I’m betting that Chanel thingie gets announced this year too, it’s been mentioned a lot recently with numbers attached lol.

Yay Emma! Congratulations!

Avatar Image says:

Ooh, good for her. prestige of rada + better acting tips = good things all round.

Avatar Image says:

Well, if you have one-to-one tutoring, you should pass your exams with flying colours. I wonder if you would all be fawning over her if she wasn’t as beautiful as she is? I doubt it. What a vacuous world we live in.

This girl is beyond lucky and yes, I am jealous and don’t care admitting it, but it her looks that you all love and shows how looks are the most important thing in this shallow world.

Avatar Image says:

shes a perfect hermionie!

Avatar Image says:

To Julie: Emma might have been so lucky to have had one-to-one tuition – but this does not automatically mean that she would succeed in the way she did. She still had to put in the work and had to focus on her studies, despite being busy filming. Yes, she is a very pretty young woman who dresses well (and I don’t think this ability has anything to do with money, money can’t buy you self- confidence and style. ) But – she isn’t the most accomplished actress, her perfprmance always seems quite forced to me, as if she doesn’t really like doing it, or as if she has to constantly cross a certain barrier to perform. Anyway, Julie, don’t be jealous, why should you ? Emma may have faults you’ll never know of – we’ll never really get to know her anyway. But you do know yourself – and your virtues. Be proud !

Avatar Image says:

I think she’s pretty; more to the point, I admire her determination to get good marks despite acting in one of the world’s biggest franchises. She’s intelligent, articulate, clearly has fun, and pretty much a good role model for kids.

I don’t think she’s good as Hermione, and I’ve never been particularly keen on her portrayal or her acting – which is why some acting classes will help her improve. But I do like her. Sure, she’s fortunate – RADA’s a little more likely to look at you if you’re already somebody, same with Oxbridge, and easier to do well if you’ve got the money to be privately schooled – but most of it she’s got by hard work. Not commenting on her fashion mag work though, because by nature they focus on pretty people, which she’s lucky enough to be. But her looks really aren’t her sole feature.

Avatar Image says:

It’s lovely to see Emma in the theatre! I’m hoping for that!!!!!

Avatar Image says:

I’m happy to hear that she’s taking time to have fun and explore some of her interests now that school is done! Sure, being in HP has afforded all of the trio many opportunities( like one on one tutoring) that wouldn’t be available to most people, but that hasn’t taken away from the fact that they are intelligent, focused, hardworking and I think, genuinely decent young people. And yes, she’s very pretty, but unlike loads of other very pretty people, I don’t think it’ s her defining feature.

Emma, I think, has been the most ambivalent about an acting career because she’s very bright, good at school, good at sports, good at a lot of other things other than acting and I agree with Professor Potter, it would be a shame if all she did was act! Dan has often said he really wasn’t good at anything else and I don’t know if that’s true or not, but I certainly don’t think that’s the case for Emma.

So good for her with the RADA summer course! They’re young and building their careers and trying out new challenges at this point. I think all three of them will be well into their 20’s before we see if their acting careers pan out or not. Even Dan, there are no guarantees for any of them. Just my opinion.

Avatar Image says:

What an accomplishment! All the “one-on-one” tutoring, in the world, doesn’t “guarantee” good grades. Yes, it helps. But hard work, and determination, are the keys! It appears that this young lady has them, in SPADES! Congratulations, Emma. I’m from “across the pond”, so I have no idea what “RADA’S” are. But, being as I have a degree, in Women’s History and Period Clothing Design[and believe me, that was hard!], I can say that it sounds like a prestigious accomplishment! Again, congratulations. You are definitely, a role model for young people, everywhere!

Avatar Image says:

Confederate Lady: RADA= Royal Academy of Dramatic Arts. I congratulate Emma on taking this step and working with a prestigious acting academy. She can refine her abilities, especially in historical British drama, which would be a natural for her. Perhaps she will do Betsy and Naploeon, I don’t think it’s sure yet, but IMDB still has it listed. In any case, for a movie like that to Jane Austen, Wuthering Heights, etc. etc., any period piece in fact, some dramatic coaching is a great idea. For Hermione, I think she just pretty much played Emma, which is ok, but she couldn’t do that in a historical drama, so…..............................

And yes, she’s very pretty, but she’s a movie star, after all. It sort of goes with the territory. I suppose Hollywood starlets are pretty too, in their own way, but most of them don’t have a brain or any moral or aesthetic sense. Emma has it all. It’s important to remember what Emma has IN ADDITION to looks. That’s the key factor.

Avatar Image says:

Good for her! She needs some professional acting lessons. I’m glad she’s actually taking her career seriously now. Hopefully we’ll see an improvement in when she starts Deathly Hallows.

Avatar Image says:

Italian Vogue is HUGE. What a honour! Wow, I’m completely stunned… One of the most prestigous fashion magazines in the world at the age of 18 with no modelling backround and all Haute Couture.

Damn.

And good for her getting training at RADA.

Avatar Image says:

HAHAAHAHA! Maybe she finally learned some acting….. who knows!!

Avatar Image says:

Congratulations to Emma. Considering she could sit back and live off her earnings from the HP movies she is bright and ambitious. She is an excellent role model for young girls and young actors.

Avatar Image says:

:O my sister auditioned for RADA. but she didn’t got in, but she got a course at LIPA (Liverpool Institute of Performing Arts – paul mccartney’s theatre school). and she was amazed to get into that ^ my sister met a girl at her auditions who did get in to RADA, and my sister said that she was absolutely amazing, so you really do need to be that ‘something special’ to be training at RADA.

Agreed with chickit. she’s a great role model. nice to see not all child actresses turn out to be a lynsey lohan type character. (no offence to lynsey lohan (haha), i loved her when she was in parent trap D: )

i hope the trio don’t just dissappear after HP.. although from what we’re hearing they’ve all got great futures ahead of them.

good luck harry, ron and hermione __

Avatar Image says:

How did I know Alan had something to do with that place even before I read it. I truely must be a Snape fangirl. Congratulations Emma, you certainly are Hermione Granger. Sharp and smart. I dont live in England but this place sounds equvilant to some of our big Universitys. Harverd, Yale. Cant wait to see the next potter movie. Literally too. I cant wait 11mos

hello

I LOVE EMMA BICAUSE SHE IS PRETY AND VERY GOOD ACTERSS IN WORLD I THINK I live in iran but i read and see the harry potter book and movie

I love danniel and j.k.roling

I realy like chat with emma or one body who love harry potter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Avatar Image says:

It’s true that one to one tutoring only gets you so far. Dan and Emma both worked very hard to get their grades and it showed. Not everyone got good marks.

Avatar Image says:

Emma needs the training desperately. She is the least accomplished of the trio. Hopefully we’ll see a big improvement in her acting. Dan also got A grades when he did exams, i wonder why Rupert never disclosed his marks…

Avatar Image says:

That’s an intelligent move. She’ll become a good actress even after Harry Potter ! Nice is nice. If she becomes good in acting too, who’ll stop her?

Avatar Image says:

I really like Emma, even though she isn’t quite my idea of Hermione, but she was excellent in ‘Ballet Shoes’. To everyone who is saying she doesn’t deserve to be praised because she is priviliged, yes she does. She has kept her head down, worked hard, and she deserves all this a lot more than most actresses out there. But to everyone who is jealous, you should remember that she is lucky enough to have private tutoring, enough money to buy beautiful clothes, and many people around her to boost her confidence, encourage her, do her hair and makeup etc. If anybody in these comments had all of these things, and worked hard, I’m pretty sure you’d all be just as celebrated as Emma is, and if Emma hadn’t had all these things, she would not. So my point is, don’t be jealous of Emma, you are all just as good, you just haven’t been given the chance to shine yet!

Avatar Image says:

She’s the only one left of the trio that hasn’t been naked on a play or a film yet. COME ON EMMA!!!! SHOW US SOME SKIN!!! I don’t want to watch Dan in hi play or Rupert in his movie. Come on Emma, you can do it.

Avatar Image says:

Way to go Emma! You can succeed at whatever you set your mind to!

Avatar Image says:

She’s awesome! in every point of view! Hermiones brain ;)

Avatar Image says:

You both make a point and miss the point at the same time, Potterhead. Don’t hold your breath about seeing Emma in a nude scene. I don’t think she sees herself quite that way, and that goes to the heart of all the comments that have been made about what a classy kid she is. Believe it or not, displaying yourself in public is not necessarily the end all and be all of an actor’s existence. But I suspect I waste my words in this case…........sigh….................................

Avatar Image says:

wooow congrats emma [haha she’s jsss like hermione] :D italian vogue that is pretty big!!

[btw i wanna c pics of emma as hermione!! (HBP)]

Avatar Image says:

OH, kind of like The Academy Of Performing Arts, out here….only better! Thanks for the info, James.

Avatar Image says:

Actually, want i want is to have Branagh do a good film version of Richard III, one that sticks to the original Shakespeare, with Rickman playing Richard. Imagine that voice giving us “Now is the winter of our discontent…”? Good grief, not only could you have Emma Watson in it, but Emma Thompson (are she and Branagh on talking terms?), Maggie Smith, Robbie Coltraine, and at least half dozen others from the HP films!

Avatar Image says:

Im really happy that Emma is taking such an interest in improving her acting abilities. She is trully wonderful but she has this habit of raising her eyebrows over and over again when she’s trying to convey ainxiety, it gets annoying to watch, atleast for me. Al Pacino said that if one does not seek to improve his craft and gets complacent with his ability then he should quit doing it all together! Thats from the MAN himself, Pacino!

Avatar Image says:

@ I agree budb. I could listen to Alan read the entire phone book. Him and James Earl Jones have the sexiest voices I’ve ever heard. I can Imagine him playing a King. And Emma Thompson and Kenneth Branagh are on speaking terms they attended a orchestral show together. Not together but both were there. Something like that. Alan was there too I believe.

Avatar Image says:

Well, good for her, but I’m really scared this course would make her acting even more melodramatic than it already is !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Avatar Image says:

Shoots in paris?? omggg I was there a week ago!!! And I did see a photoshoot, I remember it was reeally hot and the model was wearing black, poor thing! but it wasn´t emma, I´d go crazy if it was! she´s a great role model, like hermione, my fav character eeever, cos she was the only one who was on harry´s side no matter what!

Avatar Image says:

Am I the only one who´s still extremely annoyed that Jo didn´t tell us what happened right after Voldy was defeated?? we didn´t get so see much of ron and hermione together, it´s so unfair!

Avatar Image says:

I’ve always been more impressed with brains than looks and Emma is VERY BRAINY. I loved her performances in POA and “Ballet Shoes” and I’m glad to see her pursue more formal training as an actor. Tells me she’s not content to be just another pretty face on screen. Emma seems to be serious about improving her skills and I wish her ALL THE BEST.

Avatar Image says:

I must say Emmy, your very lucky, and talented too, your brainy, beautiful, and I’m pretty sure you have a fun personality- I have nothing against Emma Watson- yes, I know most of the time I always comment saying I don’t like Emma’s performance as Hermione- but that is not the point- because HELLO, who else would you see hermione as after 5 movies. Congrats on going to that school, it seems great. And I love seeing her not dropping out of school, since she already has enough money for a lifetime- it’s good to see she cares about her education- kinda brings out the Hermione in her.

Avatar Image says:

Again, she is so posh, she coulnd’t attend a normal academy, it had to be a pretentious one, so she could write about it in her pretentious site. And she had to be in a posh magazine. Italy Vogue is huge yeah ‘obnovioux huge’, it promotes anorexia, skinny models, animal skin made clothes… I prefer more normal teen actresses and actors, who don’t try so hard to have a certain image. And a few summer classes are not enough to improve all she has to improve, she is very behind her castmates, she should do more proyects to obtain more experience.

Avatar Image says:

I LOVE EMMA WATSON!!!!! (not in that way). She’s good at everything. She pretty, funny, polite, SMART, amazing, talented, confident and a great actress. I wish I was like her. I cannot see anyone else play hermione other then her. And she also very like hermione…they are both clever and sharp! Anyway, congrats Emma!!!!! I can’t wait to see you in HBP and hopefully in other movies!!!

Avatar Image says:

She’s so pretty that she should be a fulltime model! Lol. :)

Avatar Image says:

Good for Emma! Congratulations!

Congrats Emma!

Avatar Image says:

see, Bella, we do agree more often than we don’t! ;-) but, wouldn’t a production like that just be superb?

My other “I wish” film would be for Peter O’Toole to do the closing years and death of Henry II….he did Becket, with Richard Burton, he did Lion in Winter with Katherine Hepburn….he should finish that story (with Maggie Smith as Eleanor of Acquitaine?)

Avatar Image says:

YAYAYAYY….....BEAUTY AND BRAINS… that’s our Emma “Hermione Granger” Watson in real life. Way to go Emma.

Avatar Image says:

I’ve seen Emma in everything she’s ever been in, and girl needs all the classes she can get. Emma needs to deliver her best in Deathly Hallows, top-notch and all that, because if those scenes are done right then they could be epic (like the torture scene in the Malfoy Manor). I hope those classes taught her loads, because she’s gonna need it. As for her grades, good job but I’m not impressed. Tutoring might not do everything, but it sure gets you half way there. The Italian Vogue thing is nice, but I wish more actresses left magazines be and let the models reclaim their rightful place. It seems like all actresses nowadays have to balance advertising themselves and the craft, the focus should stay on the latter. Being an actress isn’t about all the stuff Emma usually does-the photoshoots and Chanel parties-it’s, funnily enough, all about the acting. I admire people like Laura Linney and Emily Mortimer. Yes, they appear on the occasional talk show, or maybe they do a photoshoot (though I’ve never seen one of either of them), but they stick to the roots, to the craft. Maybe this is why I have more favorite male actors than actresses. Some of them still remember what it is to be an actor.

Avatar Image says:

I think good for Emma using her summer break to get more acting skills. The course will be just one of those sumer courses that a number of top Universities and Colleges offer to paying customers, so why not? It’s just like Dan doing his voice training to prepare for his stage work or accent training for December Boys. Dan and Emma recognize that they have gaps in their skills base and are working to fill them before their time in the limelight is up. The HP films don’t give them the extensive acting training that most potential actors will have on leaving drama school and they’ll be nearly the same age as acting school graduates when HP filming finishes. I agree with Marie earlier who suggested that we won’t know for sure how any of the HP youngsters’ careers will pan out until they are in their mid20s with many years of projects behind their belts.

Avatar Image says:

Good for Emma on her grades and her class at RADA. Nice to hear about something else besides what clothes she was wearing!

Avatar Image says: whatever flaws they have, whatever "awaits" them... that dont matter much... they are rich, thus can pay whatever training they need. i do adore Emma but all love aside they got extreme lucky from very begining and for us less or no fortunate at all it is not unusual to be jelous... fact is, they are living a dream... so good luck to them.

Write a Reply or Comment