Dan Radcliffe Talks “Equus,” Theater, and Acting in New Interview

271

Sep 12, 2008

Posted by EdwardTLC
Uncategorized

Actor Dan Radcliffe (Harry Potter) is the subject of a new, expansive interview from the AP on his forthcoming Broadway debut as Alan Strang in the play “Equus.” The young actor sat down with the AP to discuss this role, expanding his acting abilities, and more in regards to the revival of the Peter Shaffer play which is currently in preview performances and opens officially at the Broadhurst Theater on September 25th. On the character of Alan Strang, which Dan first stepped into last year in London’s West End, he observes that “the brilliant thing about Alan is that you wouldn’t notice him walking down the street… Alan is not academically bright but he has amazing intellect.” For his Broadway performances, Dan feels he is “more relaxed this time,” and goes on to note how his training with a vocal coach over the past three years has strengthened his performance:

“I am a lot more confident about (my voice) being heard now. In London, that was more of a worry. Now there’s room for me to do … to play around with the words and put more color into them, sort of a musicality, to try and give every word its individual identity, I suppose…

“There are a lot of actors who think you can just go on stage and do it ” you can’t. You need to project. You can give the most amazing performance on stage but if the audience can’t hear you, then it’s useless.”

It was his performance as this character that garnered praise from fellow actor and “Equus” co-star Richard Griffiths (Vernon Dursley) who is quoted in the article as saying: “I’m really pleased with him. He’s right at this awful stage of moving from being a child actor to no longer a child.” To this, Dan responds:

“To work with Richard on stage and in a much more intimate way than Vernon in the ‘Potter’ films is amazing. His intellect is huge. But … he is not snobbish with the knowledge he has. He shares it and he wants to talk about it. I find him a real joy to be around. For me, it seemed I would have to be really moronic not to take the part.”

Continuing on in the interview, Dan explains why he chose to take on this project, and expands on his thoughts on acting:

“The stage is much more a test of nerve (than film) and seeing what you are made of,” Radcliffe explains. “It would be very easy to do simple stuff. It doesn’t really interest me that much. Even if I screw up, it’s good to know what my limits are. It’s good to get a sense of what I can and cannot do.

“Every actor has limits. It’s sort of testing out where they are. Luckily, I haven’t found them yet. I suppose the thing I’ve learned is that I think I am more capable than I thought I was,” he says with a laugh.

After performing on stage, Dan has also picked up a few of his own tricks for winding down after the performance. Radcliffe remarks on an interest in watching the History Channel, which he admits, “is what I have been doing the last few nights.” He also comments on the audience, who he feels performers should credit “with massive (amounts) of respect because some of these guys see 50 shows a year.” Dan adds:

“When you are at the curtain call, smile. I really object to it when I am sitting there in the theater, watching actors who are in a great play ” and they come out and don’t smile at the curtain call. I think: ‘You are lucky enough to be in a really brilliant play, now show some appreciation for the fact that you are there. Enjoy it.’ We’re doing ‘Equus’ and we smile. If you can smile at the end of ‘Equus,’ anyone should be able to.”

Finally, Dan briefly mentions the upcoming filming for the “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows” films, which is expected to being after his “Equus” run wraps. Dan says: “I am sure I will be knackered but I adore filming on ‘Potter. I can’t wait to get back there.”

As TLC has reported previously, “Equus” is currently in preview performances in New York at the Broadhurst Theater. Tickets are still available for performances via this link. “Equus” will make its Broadway debut on September 25th for a limited 22 week engagement. More info on the play can be found right here.

34 Responses to Dan Radcliffe Talks “Equus,” Theater, and Acting in New Interview

Avatar Image says:

Anyone know where to get tickets?

First comment! Yes!

Avatar Image says:

Good for Dan I just admire his work ethic and the young man he is turing out to be. Can’t wait for HBP though

i wanna see Equus.

Avatar Image says:

I just saw this amazing performance on Monday night! I got my tickets on broadway.com. They’re $116 each, but it’s totally worth it! Both Daniel and Richard were/are amazing!

Avatar Image says:

Whoa, go to telecharge.com to get tickets. You’ll get great seats for only like 70 bucks a piece. I got mine way back in April. There’s probably not as much available now.

Avatar Image says:

Sindie $116? You have got to be out of your mind!! I want to see Equus since I live in New York but any ideas about Rush tickets? Has anyone here been able to get rush tickets for Equus??

Geez that price is a bit steep for a show! did you have orchestra seats?

Avatar Image says:

For $116 per audience, you better show appreciation to them and smile. That’s a lot of money they are paying you.

Avatar Image says:

This young man is going places, in Theater, and films! He definately has the right attitude and the drive to perfect his craft! You go, Dan….wish I could see ‘Equus’, but I live in South Carolina and can’t hope to go to New York, anytime soon. I can’t wait for ‘Half Blood Prince’ and even more, ‘Deathly Hallows: Part 1 and Part 2’!!!!!

Avatar Image says:

My tickets from telecharge.com were expensive too (I don’t really want to remember how much, LOL), but this is my first Broadway show ever. I figured I might as well make it the most awesome experience it could be! :) Then I looked and saw how much hotels in NYC cost per night, and WOW I almost died. It’s wayyy more expensive than here in Orlando… sigh! ;p

Avatar Image says:

I’ve really enjoyed hearing Dan’s insights on stage acting.

Avatar Image says:

Dan is right about the voice projection thing. In one Equus review I’ve read, the reviewer said that it’s only Dan’s voice he has no trouble hearing.

And so sweet on the beard not making him look older. I think it’s the eyes. Dan’s got big, blue innocent eyes that will forever make him look younger than his age.

Avatar Image says:

Dan missed a line and it was like a dagger to him? wow, looks like we have a perfectionist wizard on that stage.

Nice interview!

Avatar Image says:

$116.00 is (I think) pretty standard for Orchestra seats for a Broadway show. Now, I’ve been to several, and they were all musicals, so that may make a difference. I know I paid that much for Lion King (maybe even more).

Rush tickets… what are they? is that what you call tickets you buy at the TKTS booth? ‘cause I doubt you’ll be able to get tickets there for this show. I’m guessing if you go for seats further back, they’d be a bit cheaper.

I cant wait. I’m going on 9/27 (right after opening night!). I’m glad to hear Dans and the rest of the cast are getting good reviews.

Avatar Image says:

Actually Beth A, I was able to see 39 steps and Wicked for much cheaper than $116 because I got them Rush. I don’t see why I have to pay $116 for Equus. And it’s not even a musical. Musicals are usually more expensive than just shows. Anyway, maybe I will get a student discount from NYU or something. Because I heard after october 2nd, the prices go up and stay up for the holiday season.

Avatar Image says:

Well, I haven’t looked into ticket prices, but, I’m assuming that because Equus is a limited run – only about 6 months – that it might be harder to get the Rush tickets. That could also explain the higher prices, in addition of course to the “star power.” Musicals tend to run over a long period of time, so there are more overall tickets to be had. I’ve seen some e-bay prices for Equus tickets that were very high. For now though, I think tickets through regular channels are still available, but with the good reviews, you better hurry.

Avatar Image says:

Jenbunny, musicals are not always more expensive than just shows from my experience. Especially if celebrities are in the play, for example when I saw Moon for the misbegotten with Kevin Spacey, tickets were same price and even a little bit more than what I would usually pay for the musical.

I mean, I agree that you can get a ticket for a good show from that RUSH booth, I just never know which show will be there and in that instance, I just do not have time to go and see that Equus is not going for discount price, so I bought full price ticket, yes same $116.

And yes it was possible to get cheaper than that ticket from telecharge, just the seats were not as good for the day I wanted.

Alla

Avatar Image says:

I bought my tickets for Equus as soon as they were available for non American Express Gold members. They were $116 each then for the orchestra seats. I got row H and thought that was excellent! Thought it was a little expensive myself but they are definitely going to be worth it. My first time in New York City and I can’t wait! I was totally taken back at the prices of the hotel! They were so expensive! This is a one in a life time chance for me so I know I was worth it! Get to see the play on Sept. 26 and I can’t wait! This is my birthday present to myself and I am going all out!

Avatar Image says:

$116.00 for a night on broadway to see Daniel Radcliffe and Co. sounds reasonable to me. I’ve paid more for groceries in a week. Stop nit picking and support an actor who will be one of the greats.

Avatar Image says:

I live 13 hours away from New York, and I’ve already purchased two tickets for Equus, end up Nov. Cost about 300 for the tickets (orchestra section) and going to cost about 400/500 in gas plus hotel, and I’ve got class Monday morning.

Daniel Radlcliffe is definitely worth it. So excited! Nov 29, Dan, here I come! :)

Avatar Image says:

I went into Manhattan yesterday for a Saturday matinee of Equus. Being an adolescent psychologist, this show has fascinated me for years and while I had read the screenplay and seen the film this was my first time seeing it on stage. Being able to see it for the first time on stage with this cast was indeed a privilege. Daniel is absolutely brilliant as is Richard Griffiths. For that matter, every member of the cast was phenomenal. The choreography, lighting and imagery of the horses and the pivotal scene of the fusion of Daniel as one with the horse – as shown in the billboard ad for the show is stunning – as is the maiming of the horses.

Having been to many a Broadway show, my only complaint was this…Perhaps my mistake was going to the matinee showing and the evening performance would have been different but the audience, or a portion of it, were very unsophisticated. By that I mean, it was obvious that there was a younger crowd there (primarily female based on the sound of their laughter) who, not grasping the seriousness of the piece or the torment of Alan Strang and Martin Dysart, would laugh during inappropriate moments of dialogue not realizing that certain lines were being said not to evoke laughter so much – though there are some amusing lines during the first part of the show – but to evoke silent thought.

Now, I say this not as an old, egg headed, stuff shirt psychologist but as a still relatively young guy in his later-mid thirties who has been working with teens for over a decade. I understand that these audience members are not as emotionally mature as the show requires and are there primarily for Daniel and waiting to see him naked – which is not erotic at all when one considers that the naked body is connected to a very disturbed psychotic mind. It’s also, I think, insulting to the actor when the audience member can’t see Alan Strang because they can’t get past the fact it is Daniel Radcliffe up there on the stage. While it annoyed the heck out of me, I hope it was an isolated incident because I will be going back again. A show that is running for so short a time but is this good needs to be seen at least twice.

Avatar Image says:

Don’t care to pay $116 for Equus. I’s rather save that money and see Madonna in Madison Square Garden.

Would be seeing Equus if it was cheaper though. Just don’t think $116 is worth it. I have seen a lot of Broadway shows for much cheaper.

Avatar Image says:

I also feel that all these younger crowds are spending so much and not getting their money’s worth because they don’t understand the concepts of Equus and are going to see Dan Radcliffe get naked. Spend your money wisely people. If you don’t have the maturity to grasp Equus, then see something else that suits your personality and save the money because if people are going to see Dan because he is naked then they should know that Dan will probably appear naked on screen if not as early as in Deathly Hallows.

Avatar Image says:

I agree, sounds like a lot of younger crowds are popping in just to Dan Radcliffe naked on stage. That is pretty sad and pathetic.

Avatar Image says:

Well I guess i have something in common with dan. I can watch the history channel for hours!!

Avatar Image says:

Wow Nick, I think you will find it disappointing but sadly true that most Dan fans are actually harry potter fans who are not as mature as you and going to see the film simply to see Dan naked. Sad but oh so true.

My cousin went to london last year to see Equus and she was only 17.

Avatar Image says:

sorry, meant on stage not film

Avatar Image says:

I went to see Equus two time on the night show and most of the audience were in their 30s and up, I just saw a few young girls but not many, the same, I have also read different reviews form theater geeks and most of them were surprise that not many young girls or fans were there, most of the audience were in their 30s.

Avatar Image says:

Oh yes by all means save your money to see a 50 year old, way past her expiration date, romping around in cheap costumes, simulating masturbation, hanging on a cross, and croaking out songs. If that’s your idea of entertainment please stay away from broadway.

Avatar Image says:

Nick – I think you are correct that the audience make-up was probably a result of seeing a matinee show. I have read a few blog-type reviews in which the writer commented that he/she was surprised at the make-up of the audience and the sophistication level of the people there. One even commented that they sat next to a gaggle of (seemingly) teenage girls, who were very appropriate in their reactions to the different scenes – chuckling at the right moments, staying silent at others. Many teenagers are sophisticated (like Dan seems to be) and can grasp the emotional turmoil of Equus – and – many (probably the younger ones) cannot. Good you’re seeing it again – hopefully next time is an evening performance. p.s. – I cannot help commenting that I agree 100% with “soledad nevermore” – I never was into Madonna – even in the 80’s (more of a rock, blues, alt and punk-rock kinda gal myself).

Avatar Image says:

blue – Yeah, I hear you and it is to be expected, I just hope it doesn’t happen to frequently. I think what I found most uncomfortable was the fact that (and I say this as a having been a huge Harry Potter fan since the first book came out) here is Dan showing an acting side of himself that he has not shown in any film thus far. The emotions he conveys on that stage and the energy he puts into the character must be on some level exhausting especially on the days he performs the play twice – and all of that brilliant work is rather loudly unappreciated or recognized by the naïve type of audience members I described. But regardless, that 2 1/2 hours absolutely flew by and once it was over, it was like “Wow! I have got to go around again.”

sl – I agree, after talking with others it sounds like the time of the performance may well have been the problem.

Avatar Image says:

$116? No thanks. discounts anyone?

Limited Engagement.