Emma Watson to Focus on College Degree Post “Deathly Hallows”

276

Sep 22, 2008

Posted by SueTLC
Uncategorized

Actress Emma Watson has given a new interview to The Telegraph, where she confirms earlier reports that she will be focusing on her education once filming is complete on the films of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. Emma said “I would like to go to university and complete a degree and so that will mean a break from acting. I’ve always tried to balance my education with my acting career, but I just don’t think it will be possible to juggle it with a degree course. I have a need now to study.”

The Hermione Granger actress also said again she is considering Universities here in the US, as the paper cites Emma as noting “There are excellent universities over there and I’m applying at the moment,” she said. “If I stay in this country I will read English Literature, and if I go to America I would do a Liberal Arts programme.”

… Her spokesman denied she is giving up acting for good but confirmed that “any future projects will take second place to University. Her first commitment will be to her course”.

Filming is due to begin on both films of “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows” in Feb. 2009.

50 Responses to Emma Watson to Focus on College Degree Post “Deathly Hallows”

Avatar Image says:

I commend Emma Watson, I think she is a role model for our young girls. She like her character knows the importance to a good education. I wish her all the success no matter where she studies.

Avatar Image says:

I commend Emma’s choice. This girl really has a head on her shoulders.

ALL THE BEST Emma!!!!!

Avatar Image says:

Wow.. they are all adults now, making adult decisions. Absolutely amazing to see them grow up to become smart and talent adults. Congrats, Emma! I hope everything goes well in applying!

Avatar Image says:

good on her, what a role model.

these are the kind of ‘famous’ peope we need, ones younger people can aspire to be like.

Avatar Image says:

these are the kind of “famous” people we need, ones we can aspire to be like, what a role model.

Avatar Image says:

How many people would give up a possible career in acting at any age? I really think she has turned out to be a great role model for children. Plus she does look like she’s trying to model so she’ll probably always will have her face out there, even in college. But I applaud her. Come to think of it, she’ll have two yrs of college under her belt before the last DH is released.

Good luck Emma!!!!

Avatar Image says:

I totally agree, I wish her the best in everything that she does, its always the right choice. She’s not like other young celebs who think that just because they are famous and earn millions they dont need education. She is a fab role model for the younger generation.

Avatar Image says:

I agree, I really look up to Emma as a fantastic role model. I hope she hasn’t given up acting for good though!

Avatar Image says:

I think she’ll do other projects if the timing is right. Plus like I said she had her modelling career. But it won’t interfer with her education. I can’t believe she’ll have two yes of education under her if she starts in 2009 which she has indicated she’s planning on doing. Seems like such a long time! But good for her. She’ll be more respected for it like natalie portman, Claire Danes, and Julia Stiles. Best of luck Emma.

Avatar Image says:

Way to go Emma! You are in such a different class from the burned out Hollywood bimbos that are an embarrassment to the industry. We all admire you and support your decisions. You’ll be out again by age 22, and that’s time enough to do anything you want with film.. Your priorities are absolutely rock solid. Best wishes!

Avatar Image says:

I totally adore her university plans. She could just hang out and spend her money, but she wants to study. I love that. I´ve always figured that studying and filming is a tough balancing act, it is better to concentrate on either one of them. And other actresses have taken a break from acting for their studies, too, Natalie Portman for instance, and then they came back. Which in the case of Emma Watson, a lot of people (including me) would certainly appreciate. :)

Good luck to her

Avatar Image says:

make up your mind, please. lol

Good luck to her.

Avatar Image says:

With the extraordinary qualifications under her belt and achieving them while making HP movies, I’m surprised Universities are not fighting to have her. Surely, she doesn’t need to apply! I have to say that brain of hers would be wasted if she just had an acting/modelling career. But whats important is she do what she will enjoy the most, so good luck to her.

Avatar Image says:

Wow,if she starts uni in 2011,will be the same year I go xD If only I was brainy enough to get into somewhere like Oxford though.

Avatar Image says:

Good on ya, Hermee-oninny! and good luck with those NEMTs.

Good for her. Word.

Avatar Image says:

I love that she has made a consious decision to take a break instead of being pushed into continuing her acting. She’s really thinking for herself, and made a very mature and admirable decision. With all that money you would think she would just want to stop or the opposite, make more movies and more money. But she has really shown that she is her own individual. Plus when she comes out, she will still be young and has the rest of her life to do what she wants, acting, etc. She’s be a very well-rounded person, good for you emma.

Avatar Image says:

YAY !!!!!!! GO EMMA !!!!!!!! she is my Role Model !! i LOVE her , i just wish her all the luck in the world and that she acheives what she wants to , she’s such a great girl and she really does deseve it all !!!!

Avatar Image says:

I am very impressed with this young lady. She is a role model that, I’ll bet, anyone would have for their daughter [or son, for that matter!] University is very important, later in life. I am very proud of you, Emma! You go!

Avatar Image says:

I think Emma Watson is such a great role model for the younger generations. Great job Emma! It’s great that she wants to focus on her education first before acting, and it’s commendable that she is able to take time out from her busy acting career to pursue a degree!

Avatar Image says:

wow thats to cool of her. she really gets it, that fame isnt everything. Congrats emma!

Avatar Image says:

Trust me, she will get into EVERY U.S. university she applies to. Unlike Oxford and Cambridge, colleges here value extracurricular experience as well as excellent exam results – it helps them build a diverse class. She already has the amazing grades and exam results. Being one of the main castmembers of Harry Potter will make her a shoe-in to any Ivy League. Harvard, Yale and the rest will be desperate to have her. Lucky girl :) And she’s smart to prioritize her education.

Avatar Image says:

Trust me, she will get into EVERY American university she applies to. Unlike Oxford and Cambridge, colleges here value extracurricular experience as well as excellent exam results – it helps them build a diverse class. She already has the amazing grades and exam results. Being one of the main castmembers of Harry Potter will make her a shoe-in to any Ivy League. Harvard, Yale and the rest will be desperate to have her. Lucky girl :) And she’s smart to prioritize her education.

Avatar Image says:

Good for her! If she comes to the states… I could potentially end up at the same college as her for a year or two (depending obviously where she/I would be.)... I’ll start in 2013, and she would in 2010 or ‘11 I think. That would be so cool! But anyways, she is so smart and grounded, and I totally look up to her. Go Emma!

Sooo, so awesome!! :D

Sooo, so awesome!! :D

Avatar Image says:

I will be the lone voice of dissent.

Take the money while it is being offered. I never had anyone offer me $5 mil for a one year job.

Come to think of it, I think the sum of all the money I made in my life is less than what she will make for the DH.

She can always go to college later. While I was getting a master’s I met a mom in her late 40’s getting a CS degree. But, I would have to admit, the longer she waits, the harder it will be to get back into it, and the more out-of-place she might feel.

Avatar Image says:

How intelligent and refreshing! Emma’s shown she’s got the academic potential, and seems to understand how valuable a university education is. Especially having been so immersed in the acting world in her formative years, she’s wise to seek other horizons at this time of her life. Acting is great, but there’s a whole world out there! A good college education will expand her mind and open new doors. I applaud her decision and wish her all the best as well! BJ

Avatar Image says:

good for her! and there’s always Footlights when she’s there, the student acting group that launched the careers of the likes of Branagh, Fry, Laurie, Thompson etc.

Avatar Image says:

oops! said that before I read the article. I had read somewhere that she was going to Cambridge. Anyway..

Avatar Image says:

She understands her priorities and that’s good for her…

Avatar Image says:

Good luck Emma…..If she starts her uni courses after filming DH ,as this has stated, she will start in the summer or Fall of 2010…it will take 14 months to film DH and if filming begins at the end of February 2009 they should be complete by May or June of 2010.I’m sure we well see her at the DH Premiere in November 2010 and the DH II in the summer of 2011[probubuly June or July]

Avatar Image says:

She really is the smartest witch…

Great decision Emma.

We are all proud of you ! ! ! ! !
Avatar Image says:

I think the next few years would be important ones for her career, so I give her a lot of credit for being levelheaded and insightful enough to set that aside for now and follow her heart. I think she has other interests, and has always seemed uncertain about pursuing acting full time. Other actresses, Jodie Foster, Brooke Shields, Mira Sorvino, Natalie Portman…they all have Ivy League educations, so it’s not unheard of to take a break and return. Or maybe acting just doesn’t feel right to her. Dan had acted before HP, but I think being cast as Hermione was more of a “fluke” for Emma. It’s impressive to me that furthering her education is her priority, and she’s apparently willing to step out of the limelight a little to pursue it. I really respect the trio, they’re each on different indivdual career paths but they all remain mature , intelligent and focused! So good luck there, Emma!

Avatar Image says:

Good luck Emma, whatever you do. I hope you find the right university and have a lot of fun also.

Avatar Image says:

Least she has a brain in her head, not like other girls in the spotlight that are famous for doing nothing or put men ahead of their own needs.

Avatar Image says:

Good for her!!! I think that’s so wonderful that she’s that devoted to her studies! But isn’t it too soon for her to apply? They still have two more movies to shoot don’t they?

Avatar Image says:

Joining the applause…to my knowledge, only Brooke Shields took the time to go to university before re-entering her public career…..

Avatar Image says:

budb, Actually I believe Meryl Streep also did and so did Maggie Gyllenhaal and Sean Penn. And some other great ones.

Avatar Image says:

budb, anon. Jodie Foster is another one to add on the list and she was seriously brainy – graduated with distinction if I recall. She always looked the brainy sort but I think Emma will eclipse her in that arena but not in acting (though I am one of those who rates Emma highly as an actress).

Avatar Image says:

professor potter, as she is getting better at her modeling, we are hoping that she will get better at acting. She is not completely a bad actress, she is very inconsistent in her acting. Some scenes, emma is very good, others she isn’t. Hopefully she will evolve as dan has done.

Avatar Image says:

Hey Allie, Elyzie, Lyn and others….

When the site is slow, you still only have to click on the POST button once, and then have patience, your comment WILL be posted. If you keep clicking POST over and over – well you see what happens. You post over and over and it begins to look like spamming.

Avatar Image says:

i like to be frienad please

Avatar Image says: Hi Emma! I feel proud 4 u cause u can really balance ur acting career and studies. I hope u will be more sucess in ur studies and in ur career. As a big fan of u I will always support u from back and always hope u will have a wonderful life.... love u EmmA

Write a Reply or Comment