Harry Potter “Cover to Cover” Day Today

115

Sep 23, 2008

Posted by SueTLC
Uncategorized

A reminder that the special Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone Read-a-thon is taking place today at the Scholastic store in New York. “Cover to Cover” Day is due to begin shortly at 8am, where people will take turns reading from the tenth anniversary edition of the first Harry Potter novel, and this event will also be broadcast on the net via THIS LINK.

As we told you previously, several special guests are due to take part in the readings, including “KayCee Stroh from High School Musical 3, the academy award winner Marcia Gay Harden, Kurt Loder from MTV as well as Jill Zarin from Real Housewives of New York on Bravo.”

UPDATE Be sure to check out some early photos from the live reading, which is now taking place. We also have some photos here in our image galleries.

Stay tuned!

34 Responses to Harry Potter “Cover to Cover” Day Today

Avatar Image says:

Damn it sounds like fun! Wish i was there instead of being stuck in the UK!!! :( I’ll just read it on my own! :D

Avatar Image says:

I can’t imagine anything I would want to listen to less!

Avatar Image says:

wow Graymayne.. way to be positive.

Avatar Image says:

@gingin, maybe someone pulled his “tail”! Anyway, I wish I was in New York. I guess I’ll have to content myself with my own “celebration” Some of my friends and I are having our own “read-a-thon”..closest we can get, I guess….I can’t wait. And I can’t wait to hear more on the one in New York! Thanks, Sue. [Greymayne, I hope you feel better, soon!]

Avatar Image says:

Actually, I agree with Graymayne…

Avatar Image says:

I agree too. I’m listening to it now.

Hmmm… Jim Dale’s award-winning reading, or someone’s stuttering, stammering recitation? Which would I rather listen to….

Avatar Image says:

well i bet it’s the kind of thing you’d have to be there and be a part of it to realy have the most fun. i bet being in that room would be awesome.

Avatar Image says:

This is awesome! It i so much better than Jim Dale because it is actual fans reading it. I love this…

Avatar Image says:

Mmm… Well, it should be fun. I mean, it’s Harry Potter after all =D. And Book 1 is so fun and worth reading… And lots of excited fans to share…

Damn, I want to be there =(

Hehehe, actually I finished re-reading it a couple of weeks ago, now I’m through Book 3 (Since they moved HBP till next year, I thought it would be nice to read them all again, at least till Beedle the Bard is available =D), and I had just forgotten how nice it is to read all the little details again and Book 3 is probably one of the most detailed books of the series (the way she talks about the Knight Bus, the streets, Florean Fortescue, etc.)

Will they do this sort of even with the tenth anniversary of every book? I’d love to go to the DH one in 2017 =).

DL_Hector – Return HBP to November!

The sound is not good at all.. Its a funny voice.. damn Sweden :8

Avatar Image says:

Melissa was just on. It’s been fun hearing how people interpert Jo’s words. Thanks for the link so we can celebrate 10 yrs.

Avatar Image says:

Melissa and Sam were just on! YAY!!!

Avatar Image says:

It’s really been fun to watch, Ive enjoyed it. Yes Melissa was on, and Sam, and as good as the readings were, I personally enjoyed the fact that M wore a HUFFLEPUFF TIE :)))

I dunno if she will get the chance to read again, and she will prob wear another tie if she does lol, but this is fun :)

Avatar Image says:

@Remus Lonno, the fish and Greymane: You have to remember..this is not for the “sound quality” or the fact that Celebrities aren’t too good at “reading aloud”. I agree, that it is probably more fun, to be there. But it IS Fans, reading and interpreting, in their own feelings and inflections. Of course they aren’t “Jim Dale quality”, but he’s a professional reader. Yay, for Scholastic, Jo and all those participating in this wonderful event…and thank you, Melissa and Sue, for being a part as well!

Avatar Image says:

I am thrilled to see this being streamed online. I love it. Actual fans reading. Kudos! I hope another book is going to be read soon.

Avatar Image says:

The book was already on sale pretty much everywhere last weekend.

Avatar Image says:

Oh no! I finally got a chance to check the site, and they’re on “intermission”! Will this be available to watch later, once the event is over?

Avatar Image says:

I went through the line 4 times and got to read from four different chapters, including “Harry…yer a wizard”...! How great is that! This was a fun event. I hope they do it for each book’s anniversary. Maybe in different towns for each book to give everyone across the country a chance. It was fun to meet HP fans and share “I read it when…” stories. A wonderful “HP fix” since there are no more book releases. The fan-dom is alive and kickin’.

Avatar Image says:

Yes to “Will this be available to watch later, once the event is over?”. A Scholastic communications employee confirmed to me the webcast will be available on the website later for casual perusal.

Avatar Image says:

@ Confederate Lady: with respect, none of the reasons you gave are mine.

Avatar Image says:

I see Melissa, I see her!! squee And now I see Sam. Awesome.

Avatar Image says:

Hi Melissa. I just saw Melissa read. The best part is hearing the lines I associate with “smart” British enunciation being read by kids from the Bronx. Absurdly fantastic when you compare it to the audiobooks. Some of these kids are very good speakers, but the accents are too funny. I have to say they’re better than the ones trying to read in a fake English accent.

Some of them, you can tell, see it as free publicity for their directionless acting career.

Avatar Image says:

It doesn’t work for me! It gives all these weird vices like they’re speeded up and the video doesn’t play..

Avatar Image says:

And that was Kurt Loder wasn’t it? Do they still have Mtv news?

Avatar Image says:

The Scholastic Cover-to-Cover reading has ended.

Avatar Image says:

THey announced at the end that they are going to do it again next year with CoS!!!!!!!!!

Avatar Image says:

I hope they have it up so we can watch it all over again, or at least if they release it on a DVD or something…. though I wouldnt buy that DVD, lol! I couldn’t watch it… I was at work. SUX!! but I’m sure that, though some readings must have been wonderful and some endearing, it would have been boring and annoying after a while with all the switching of people and any troll-level readers. snickers

Avatar Image says:

OMG! did they mark all those books in all those places by hand!!!??? WOW!

Greetings from BlogHogwarts.com

I had the privilege of being there this afternoon. On the way out, they told me that we would be able to get a hold of a clip of the recorded video during the time that we read.

If anybody knows who to call to get the video segment where you read, please let me know at angel.leon@bloghogwarts.com

Avatar Image says:

@Remus Lonno: I meant no offense. I should not assume. Forgive my impertinence. I do hope that everyone has enjoyed the experience, and that none were disappointed.

Avatar Image says:

Why was there nothing like this for the Bloomsbury editions last year?

Sorry to sound like a party pooper, but it’s strange for Americans to celebrate 10 years of Potter when the rest of the western world has had it for 11 years..

Avatar Image says:

@Loz: LOL…I think it’s because we Americans seem to be “anniversary happy” [three week Dating Anniversary, for example] so I guess our stores, etc, seem to take advantge and “jump” on it, before anyone else! Sad, but there you are!

Avatar Image says:

I like Pamela’s idea…”spread the wealth”! Take a “tour” with the idea!

Write a Reply or Comment