ABC Family Buys Rights for “Half-Blood Prince,” OotP

118

Sep 26, 2008

Posted by SueTLC
Uncategorized

Cable channel ABC Family will continue their tradition of broadcasting the Harry Potter films as they have now secured the cable rights to movies five and six. Variety reports that ABC Family now “has cable rights to “Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince” 10 months in advance of its theatrical debut, and [is] making a belated pickup of the 2007 “Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix.”

These airings are very popular with Harry Potter fans, and often rank high in ratings, as the trade magazine notes: “Tom Zappala, senior VP of program acquisitions and scheduling for ABC Family, said the movies have become one of the bellwethers of the network’s annual “25 Days of Christmas” programming initiative, often getting key primetime slots.”

The channel often broadcasts marathons of the films right before a new installment in the series is to be launched, and confirmed plans are the same for the release of “Half-Blood Prince” next summer. “Zappala said he’ll work with Ken Werner, president of Warner Bros. Domestic TV Distribution, to help launch the theatrical release of “Half Blood Prince” in July by running a marathon of the first four “Harry Potter” films. These cross-promotion strategies often draw more people into the multiplexes at the same time as they’re adding to the Nielsen ratings of the older titles on the network.”

34 Responses to ABC Family Buys Rights for “Half-Blood Prince,” OotP

Yay!! :)

Avatar Image says:

Why wont OOTP be part of that marathon? I wonder also, if they will show OOTP with extended scenes as they have done with the first 4 movies?

Avatar Image says:

That may have been a “typo” on Variety’s part…ABC just secured the cable rights to OOTP….I imagine that it will be included. Maybe even a “special” showing of just OOTP, right before HBP opens! Still, a YIPPEEEE! [too bad I don’t have cable, though..:[

Avatar Image says:

Yippee indeed! I have to say though, I was slightly dissapointed with the release of GOF on ABC family, back in July of this year. They did not add in any of the deleted/extended scenes like they did for the first three movies. Admittedly there were only a few to choose from, but they could have extended the Yule Ball scene for instance, when Snape is patroling the carriages outside Hogwart’s main entrance for naughty students ( It was still nice to have the marathon, don’t get me wrong, but I could have just popped in my DVD of GOF and skipped the commercials. I fear this may be the case with OOTP because there were meager extended/deleted scenes from which to choose on that DVD as well.

great! yay! :D

Avatar Image says:

As Ron would say Bloody wicked!!! I love Harry Potter I read all the books.

Avatar Image says:

How about Thailand.. Do we have the chance to see these belove first four films T^T

Avatar Image says:

so wait. they have the film all these months in advance?? why dont we just break in there and get it???

Avatar Image says:

No, they have the rights to it, not the film itself. So eventually, when HBP is shown on TV, it will be by ABC Family.

POA had the least scenes to add in actually. Cuaron didn’t seem to have filmed much that wasn’t used. Too bad. But I was disappointed that they didn’t add in the deleted scenes from GOF, and it would be nice if they added at least the important ones from OP.

Avatar Image says:

i know im wondering why their not gonna show order of the phoenix also???i mean by next summer it’ll be almost two years since ootp was released….lol but im one of the ones that watch the marathons everytime they show it on abc family so either way im happy

Avatar Image says:

Just curious because I don’t watch ABC Family, but are there commercials shown when they show these HP movies? I find it very difficult to watch a movie with commercials anymore.

ww

Avatar Image says:

can’t say this is a surprise, in fact i would have been surprised if they did not get the cable tv rights to OOTP, and HBP and i have little doubt they will snag both parts of DH as well, i would not be suprised to see OOTP added to that marathon, as for added scenes to OOTP, it is entirely possible that there is more deleted stuff they did not add to the DVD. and who knows they may add inthe extra stuff to GOF this time around. ill be watching them, no doubts there :)

Avatar Image says:

That’s awesome. I’m a huge HP fan, and whenever I see the movies on television it’s like watching them for the first time ever especially when my family and I watch them on ABC for 25 days of Christmas. My mom loves Christmas specials.

But I’ve always wondered why they never showed OotP, when they’ve had the first four on (a few months ago) but now they will!

But, wouldn't it be even cooler if they were allowed to show HBP on TV before the new relaease of it in July? I would so love that! But take what you can get, and this kinda makes up for it it guess.
Avatar Image says:

But, wouldn’t it be even cooler if they were allowed to show HBP on TV before the new release date of it in July? I would so love that! But take what you can get, and this kinda makes up for it I guess.

Avatar Image says:

I doubt they`ll play OotP next summer before Half-Blood Prince. It took ages for GoF to finally air on ABC Family. Playing OotP is too soon IMO.

Avatar Image says:

OH YEA!!! I’m ready for a Harry Potter Marathon! I really wish that Warner Bros would release the “Director’s Cut” versions of the movies. Even though I have purchased the first delux releases …. I would still buy the Extended Versions (as I’m sure would many fans)

HEY … Yoo Hooo!!!.... Alan Horn … (waving a stack of bills under his nose) .... More $$$$!!! If you are waiting to release the complete delux boxed set form for MEGA Bucks? You are missing a great $$$making opportunity here -- You could release what you have now and then do the complete delux boxed set, later. Hey release it in a miniature version of a Hogwarts trunk! Fans would pay a pretty penny for that …. save their allowances … go without …

Avatar Image says:

I too was disappointed when ABC Family premiered GOF back in July without deleted/extended scenes added. Hopefully there will be for OOTP. I always watch ABC Family when they show all the films. I still don’t get why if they have the rights to OOTP why they won’t be showing it as part of the marthathon in July with the others, although it does seem to have taken them awhile to get GOF on there also. I mean they just started showing it back in July, but if they are going off the same timeline as they have with the other films shouldn’t OOTP be ready to air by July 2009. I just hope that when they do the marathon in July to promote HBP that they do like they did with OOTP and have cast interviews and extras during the commercials.

Avatar Image says:

If anyone doesn’t know, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire is going to make its terrestrial tv debut on ITV1, 19:10, October 5th!!! I see the channel are still premiering the films on complete random days of the year, usually just before or after the christmas holidays! Would have been so good for New Years Eve!

Avatar Image says:

So what does that me? I know there going to show 1 through 4 of the Harry Potter films. But what does it mean for OOTP and HBP. Are they going to show clips of them between scenes or what. Can someone help me out?

Avatar Image says:

Hey, ABC Family… steal HBP and air it for us in November.. or now…

Avatar Image says:

haha,when i saw this i got all excited and thought that they were actually buying the whole movie and continuing it instead of WB

We could only wish=`(

Avatar Image says:

Guys, the reason why OOTP won’t be airing with the other four films next July is because it’ll still be on HBO and Cinemax. HBO only started airing OOTP this past June (they’ve started airing movies a year past their original theatrical showing, provided they’re big hits), and because of the exclusive deal with Time Warner, HBO gets exclusive first pay-tv airing rights for 15 months.

The earliest time ABC Family can air OOTP is early fall/winter 2009 when HBO’s contract expires—perfect time for WB to start pimping HBP’s DVD and Blu-ray releases during that time.

Avatar Image says:

I love watching the marathons on ABC Family.. I will stop anything i’m doin’ just to watch all the HP movies.. My friends make fun of me but they just don’t understand…

Avatar Image says:

I was so disappointed that the HBP release was delayed…...so i read entire set of HP books once again.. i cant wait for the 25days to christmas…abc;s marathon…. my husband thinks that i am obsessed with HP….. i am actually glad to be…:)))))))))))))))))

Avatar Image says:

I wonder if there will be any HBP teasers like they did with OOTP. That would be worth watching.

Avatar Image says:

So when they say buy rights does it mean they can show them anytime they want? Since OOTP is already out on dvd I think they should air OOTP on air show clips of HBP between breaks. Anyone agree with say yes.

Avatar Image says:

Incase ur wondering I didn’t post the one that says september 27 at 3:32 am. Someone stole my screne name for here. Now I have to find another

YAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAY!!!!

Never too late!!

smart move, abc.

Avatar Image says:

HOORRAAYY! More HP movies before Christmas, perfect timing for spending the night watching TV on cold winter days. Any HP movie is surely good for me (and the fans), don’t care how many times it been shown (or watcheched…by me :) ), I’ll still watch it again. Thanks ABC

Avatar Image says:

“So when they say abc family bought the rights of the movies: they can show them anytime on tv before it hits the theaters or dvd?”

No, they can’t do that. Most cable companies buy the rights to air certain blockbusters 2-3 years before they’re allowed to do so. Companies like fX, TNT and ABC Family buy the network television rights to certain movies all the time—fX bought the rights to air “Batman Begins” before it came out on DVD and bought the rights to air “Superman Returns” year before the latter even came out in theaters! It’s not new.

Big-budget movies are a hot commodity for fX and TNT, which use the movies to lead into their original television shows. Which explains why fX bought the right to air most of Universal Pictures’ 2008 lineup in the next two years (and TNT the same for most of WB’s 2007 and 2008 films), and why ABC Family snatched up the rights to air HBP before it even came out.

Avatar Image says: ghdfgfhAvatar Image says: ghdfgfh