Update: Dan Radcliffe Cricket Rumor Squished

264

Jan 19, 2008

Posted by EdwardTLC
Uncategorized

UPDATE: Thanks to Page from Dan Radcliffe.co.uk who let us know that via his official reps, the story about Dan Radcliffe playing a game of Cricket in LA is FALSE.
Thanks Page!

Sports fan Dan Radcliffe may be coming out to Los Angeles, California this weekend to take part in a celebrity match of one of this favorite sports: Cricket. The Sydney Morning Herald is reporting that organizers for the Australia Week G’Day USA festival have added this event their schedule in hopes to further promote Australia in the United States and have a slew of celebrity talent poised to take to the field. The paper is reporting Radcliffe may appear at the game which is said to include other notable names such as Russell Crowe, Jude Law, Robbie Williams, and Mick Jagger. The official G’Day USA site describes the Hollywood Ashes Twenty20 match by saying:

This event will see Australian and English international cricket legends, celebrities and local players fight for the honour and glory of the Hollywood Ashes. These traditional rivals battle it out in an action packed 20/20 cricket match starting at 12 noon.

Steve Waugh, former professional cricketer and the one overseeing the event, notes that Dan Radcliffe may be the ‘dark horse’ in the match, saying: “I know Robbie Williams is a big soccer fan and I’m not sure about Jude Law, but I know Daniel Radcliffe loves his cricket so I’d say he’d be the danger man.”

Thanks to radcakesfan for the heads up!

40 Responses to Update: Dan Radcliffe Cricket Rumor Squished

Avatar Image says:

That sounds fantastic! It seems like a great event, and I hope we can get pictures. :D

Avatar Image says:

the picture is very cool.

Avatar Image says:

I always thought you need to be Brittish to appreciate cricket, till i saw it played with much fire at Corfu, Greece. funny Dan likes cricket, maybe that explain why he looked so at ease in those Quidditch costumes at the promoshoots for GoF…. the equipment was taken from cricket.

Avatar Image says:

Oooh… I’m just an hour outside of LA… wonder if I should go? I’ll be mighty disappointed if Dan doesn’t show up though!

And that picture made me laugh for way too long :D

Avatar Image says:

That would be so cool!!! We all know Dan loves cricket and Australia. But it’s unlikely because he is filming HBP at the moment!

The thing that made me laugh about the pic is Jude Law’s face lol it’s hilarious.

It would be awesome to see Dan playing with all those actors and legend singers and cricket players!

But I can’t help noticing Leaky doesn’t usually post unconfirmed news, but you always post news about Dan before confirming them, that’s quite disrespectful for him.

Avatar Image says:

Will this event not be aired on tv ?

Avatar Image says:

Who says he cant take a ew days break from filming? If he does the macth, that’d be amazing, and I would watch it if it is televised.

Avatar Image says:

Don’t understand how he can be in LA tomorrow seeing as he is filming HBP. Shouldn’t this be labeled as a rumor?

Avatar Image says:

I don’t know Doobah, Dan has to film almost everyday, and when he is not filming he has to be at the studios anyway doing other things related with the movie.

But I agree it would be great if they could give him this Monday free so he can travel there, play the game tomorrow and return in Monday maybe? He deserves some free time too! And he loves to play cricket!

It would be awesome if is televised! Daniel Radcliffe, Russell Crowe, Mick Jagger, Rod Stewart, Jude Law, Robbie Williams, John Travolta, Kylie Minogue, Harrison Ford, Olivia Newton-John…

Avatar Image says:

He can easily be in LA for a day. When I was at university in London, I flew back to LA for 2 days to throw my mom a birthday party. I didn’t even have to stay for 2 days, but I figured if I made the trip, I might as well stay the weekend and not just saturday.

Avatar Image says:

If it was televised when would it be ?

I think its definatly possible for him to fly out for one day!

!!!

I’d totally go if I knew a) whether or not Dan’ll really be there a b) if he’ll be meeting the fans. I already met him/talked to him for a few seconds at the LA premier but I KNEW they’d actually be talking to fans so…yeah. Anybody have any other info on that front?

Avatar Image says:

I don’t know Ashley, since this is not even confirmed. But some cricket games can last DAYS!! So they can finish too exhausted! But I think this will be just one day, I can’t imagine Mick Jagger playing so long… althought his energy in concerts is still amazing!! :D I guess it depends on security, if there is not much people and it is secure, Dan always spends time with fans. Like when he went to see a cricket match last summer, he signed autographs and talked with fans. ;)

Avatar Image says:

Thomas – This match can’t last days as its a 20 20, meaning its done on a time limit not on a player limit. If that makes sense =]

Avatar Image says:

Yes rose, it does! :) I should have read the entire article before! lol Thanks!

This is all I could find about it: http://www.australia-week.com/la_events/la_cricket.html

Avatar Image says:

The event, I’m pretty sure, won’t be televised. They hold these kind of events all the time and they are almost never televised.

Avatar Image says:

This looks like fun. I’m sure Dan would love it.

I don’t see why Dan wouldn’t be able to participate. It’s not like he is hog-tied to the studio. I am sure that days off for other things are permitted. Any full-time job allows personal days. Sheesh!

Avatar Image says:

...and just because he’s away for a day or two doesn’t mean filming stops. There’s LOTS to film and he doesn’t always have to be there for it.

Avatar Image says:

lol i’d love to see Dan play cricket – i hope its true d’ya reckon he’s a bowler of batsman? Personally i think he’ll suprise us all by being an undiscovered unbelievable spin bowler and will be immediately asked to join the england team, but after half blood prince, so maybe he’ll be there to win back the ashes for england? lol

Avatar Image says:

WB is pretty accommodating…they gave him and Emma a month off for exams…a week is nothing….

Avatar Image says:

Well, I am team manager and player for a small but lively village cricket club in Kingston, UK and would like to officially invite Dan Radcliffe to play for us any time and I will waive his £5 match fee ;-) Yeah, ok, very unlikely but nice to know he loves cricket – he was at Lords at one of the Test Matches last Summer reading Deathly Hallows (well actually he was watching the game but he had the book on him). But if I remember right, Dan is actually not an avid cricket lover but gained an interest in it in recent years from the big buzz of England wining the Ashes of Australia in 2005.

Avatar Image says:

So, if it’s a 20/20 match, does that mean that only people with perfect eyesight can play? No glasses or contacts allowed?

According to Wikipedia, a 20/20 game is when

“Both teams have a single innings and bat for a maximum of 20 overs.”

Not that I know what that means! :-)

Avatar Image says:

Why bother playing cricket in the US? Americans don’t care about cricket and never have and never will!

Avatar Image says:

lol Bandersnatch, I guess I don’t get the joke… anyway, Dan only needed glasses when he was a kid.

Professor Potter, I don’t think the way you become intereted in a sport makes any difference, someone can be an avid fan no-matter how, why or when he became interested in it. For example, I became interested in HP after the 4th movie was released, but I don’t think that makes be a worst fan!

Dan is a huge cricket fan, he brought a cricket book to the OotP premiere so this famous cricket player would sign it for him, which was really cool, and he plays cricket too, so if you invite him, don’t be surprised if he is interested, the surprising thing would be he would be able to find the time to go! ;)

Avatar Image says:

Haha…Dan and cricket….dark horse indeed….but that’s fun…..good luck….I just hope he’ll continue with acting :)

Avatar Image says:

I think Dan could make the time to go over the weekend, especially for cricket which he loves. Notice that the field they’re supposed to play in has NO security fences ,etc and they are expecting some major stars there! IT’s to promote everything aussie, I guess, hey? Anybody who could go should go, this would be fantastic. Even if Dan doesn’t go, you’ re likely to meet those other stars! Incidentally, Dan was signing someone else’s copy of the seventh book, he wasn’t carrying his own at the time. Also he was there for ALL of the five? days of that match.

My last comment- two words …. cricket whites dies

Avatar Image says:

Ok, there were asterisks around the word “dies” lol!

Avatar Image says:

OK, as someone who has been playing and watching cricket since I was kneehigh to a grasshopper a few points:

1. Steve Waugh, former Australian captain and all round good guy (my all time favourite cricketer), is one of the organisers of this match. If he says Dan is going to play, it is almost guaranteed Dan will be there.

2. Yes, test matches can go for up to five days but this is a Twenty20 match – they only bat 20 overs (6 balls bowled in an over) each, so the match only takes about three hours. It’s a very new form of the game, after Test match cricket and One Day Cricket (50 overs each). So Dan only needs to be there for one day.

3. You don’t “suit up” to play cricket, lol. You “pad up” when you go into bat.

4. There may be a few cameras there from news organisations, but I would be surprised if the match was broadcast. It is just a publicity event for the Australian Tourism event, GDay USA, not a properly recognised cricket match.

Avatar Image says:

I played cricket in gym class..its so much fun!!! this is a really creative way to include the “stars” and give us fans something to savor :D

Avatar Image says:

I’d trust that report. The SMH, and it’s partner papers, The Age and The Brisbane Times are the three most reliable papers in Australia, though I’d say out of the three of them The Age comes first. They are not those crap tabloids, they’re real newspapers. I believe that.

Waugh coming out of retirement! He was our previous skipper, and won the real Ashes a few times. CARN THE AUSSIES! (Come on Australians!)

Avatar Image says:

I think that this sounds rather far-fetched, to be honest. They’re reporting it as a “may be.” With the filming schedule as tight as it is, I’d be really surprised that he’d do something like this. If it were in England, yes, but a trip to the west coast of America?? His semi-official website says nothing of this, and I’d think that if he was going to be doing this, this would have been put into his schedule long before and already be well-publicized. This should be categorized as a rumor only.

Avatar Image says:

Yes, but if no one knows about it, how are we supposed to get pictrues and interviews? There is a newswire going out saying when/how to get interviews with the players, so hopefully Dan will be there. He has also said before that he’d drop everything if he ever got the call lol!

Avatar Image says:

“His semi-official website says nothing of this, and I’d think that if he was going to be doing this, this would have been put into his schedule long before and already be well-publicized. This should be categorized as a rumor only.”

It may well be the case he may not be there, but the very fact that Steve Waugh mentions him lends credibility to it.

Also, this is not a Dan Radcliffe event, it is an Australian Tourism event, and Dan is just one of many celebrities who have/may have been invited to attend. Therefore, it is not necessarily something that his publicity people are going to be making a big deal of, it is something he is doing as a bit of fun with a few other celebrities on his own time, not to publicise his career or a charity. His people may see it as a something Dan wants to do in his own time rather than something they need to publicise.

Avatar Image says:

If ALL the American TV Networks (including cable channels like ESPN, ESPN2, etc) completely ignored the Rugby World Cup 2007 last year (not a speck of coverage…not even results)...chances are they will also ignore Cricket completely..

Rugby is tougher and more exciting that most american sports…but during the world cup…the only thing ESPN and ESPN2 were covering were Poker games, fishing, and all sorts of so called “sports”. Good thing a few English Pubs had premium satellite channels and were broadcasting the matches or i would have rioted.

Avatar Image says:

It’s really cool Steve Waugh said that about Dan! If you all say this is a reliable paper then I guess the interview is real, and this person wouldn’t name Dan if it wasn’t true.

I agree with all you said gilyweed , but on the other hand, we all know how famous Dan is and if he will participate I’m sure the people who organized the event would have wanted to publish it a lot. But, at the same time I’ve read this: “The Brits were keeping their line-up under close cover” here: http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,23078250-662,00.html So who knows… But if Dan is LA I’m sure it’s not just to play this cricket game,maybe he is doing something there related with his new proyect Journey.

Avatar Image says:

Security could also be an issue, and well as this could be considered a personal indeavor for Dan and not something he wants to be known before it happens, his whereabouts could be something he doesn’t want publised ;[as someone above has already said].I’m sure there will be lots of people at the event and if Dan is there it will be a major plus for fans but if he isn’t there will still be lots of fun. This could well still be a rumor,[and fun to read about as I do hope it is true] but it just doesn’t sound like something that just sprang out of the head of Zus,that Daniel would be given the time to be there, it was more than likely well planned in advance.

Avatar Image says:

I knew this was bull. We would have heard about it earlier. Ah well!

Avatar Image says:

I love the pic for the article! :)

Avatar Image says:

Ah well, at least it’s just a Twenty20…that’ll be over in 3 hours.

Write a Reply or Comment