A Golden Tomato for “Order of the Phoenix”

331

Jan 21, 2008

Posted by EdwardTLC
Uncategorized

More award news comes today from longtime TLC reader Christina who let us know “Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix” received the Golden Tomato award for the best reviewed science-fiction/fantasy film of the year from RottenTomatoes.com. Update: In a press release, David Yates said “On behalf of everyone who worked on ˜Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix’, I just wanted to say thank you so much for this Golden Tomato Award. It’s a thrill to be acknowledged as the best reviewed film in our category, and a vindication of everyone’s hard work in getting the film to the screen.” Each year, the popular movie review resource releases their list of the best reviewed films of the previous year, based on votes from various film reviewers. With an adjusted score of 72.72, the fifth Harry Potter film was ranked above other fantasy films from 2007 such as “Stardust,” “Beowulf,” and “Sunshine.” The complete list of winners in the 9th Annual Golden Tomato Awards can be found right here.

Congratulations to all at OotP!

21 Responses to A Golden Tomato for “Order of the Phoenix”

Hooray!!!

Avatar Image says:

that’s amazing! critics there are really tough, so this makes me really happy. =D

Avatar Image says:

cool. but funny how it says robbie coltrane is the director. looks like they just took the last listed actor and put them in as director for a lot of other movies too. weird.

Rupert Grint is listed as the Director

Avatar Image says:

well deserved, they get better with every installment, and yes I know people are still disappointed that alot of the 5th book got left out, but I think we have to take a realistic view on that. As has been mentioned a trillion times its almost a 900 page novel and its packed with little subplots, so what they did was very good they got the stuff that we needed. I miss Dobby though, and this one scene they filmed of Bella and Sirius dueling and then she kills him. And the young Lily I wanted to see also. I hope after they are all done they come out with extended cuts. ( I am on pins and Needles for the 6th movie!)

Avatar Image says:

Wow I’m shocked that sites critic’s judge extremely hard! Go Order of The Phoenix!! _

Avatar Image says:

I STILL don’t understand how Rotten Tomatoes’ rating system works, but this is good for OOTP. I really think it was one of the best book to film adaptation.

WORST POTTER FILM EVER!

Avatar Image says:

Yeah, they are definitely having some technical difficulties, because Gary Oldman certainly didn’t direct “Zodiac”, either. . .

Avatar Image says:

That’s good news for OotP.

It is interesting to note that it ranks last among the five Potter films at Rotten Tomatoes. For example, both PoA and GoF received 89%-90% ripe tomatoes (good reviews) as compared to the latest film.

Avatar Image says:

What a total and complete travesty. OotP (the movie) was a total and complete travesty and sham. It offered visual snapshots from the book…very pleasant to look at, but the plot totally did not hold together. If you had not read the book, there is NO WAY you would “get” most of the movie…for example, the role of Percy Weasley. Disgusting.

Avatar Image says:

Well Susan, if it makes you feel any better, we were shut out at the Oscars. I thought we’d get a shot at art direction, but I guess they only wanted one fantasy film nominated (Golden Compass).

Avatar Image says:

It was my least favorite HP film thus far, but I’m still glad:-).

Avatar Image says:

You’re being way too harsh Susan. I would like to see you make a better movie. Anyway, the critics liked it good and they didn’t all read the books, soooo… you must be wrong.

Avatar Image says:

wat d hellll…...........Susan!!!!!!! ummmmm…...it definately made sense and i haven’t read any of the books. if it didn’t make sense 2 u den u must hav been sleeping thru it or r realllllly stupid. it was so easy to get! wat d hell….....u thinking!!

Avatar Image says:

Susan, my sister hadn’t read beyond book 3 (still hasn’t) and totally gets the film. It’s difficult for people who have read the books to know just what non-readers are able to glean from the films, but it’s a surprising amount.

Avatar Image says:

Wow, dont get me wrong the HP’s are probably the best Novels ever ( in my opinion they definitly are.) But compared it to previous films such as COS and even GOF it can’t compare in story structure or acting. Take the only part with Seamus Finnaghin, (sry about spelling) the acting was terrible the fight sounded so rehearsed and the effect was dreadful. Harry also came off a bit EMO in the movie always whining about no one beleiving him. I felt the book didnt portray him as that and OTP was a sub par ( with exception from the dueling at the end>)

Avatar Image says:

If you like the book so much, go read it again. The movie was well done. It wouldn’t be getting so much recognition if it wasn’t.

Avatar Image says:

Capp: Harry was more “emo” in the OotP book than he was in the movie. If anything they toned down the anger jmho.

Avatar Image says:

As a fan, I was greatly disappointed that they (filmmakers) couldn’t even follow the simple directions that JKR wrote. For example, there was an educational decree that stated the students couldn’t be in groups. If Bumbrige (Yes, I know, hence the pun) and her merry crew knew where they were and in groups, then they obviously had already broken said rule and could be convicted of the horrible crime. Also, what in hells bells was that flying crap at the ministry? I felt like I was watching a Superman movie. “Oooh, I’m a baddie, let me fly and impress you instead of just fighting!” But you know I could accept all of that if I totally ignored the book and the fact the plot was muddy at best. The one thing that ticked me off to no end was I wanted to see Neville stab McNair in the eye with the wand. That was the beginning of Neville being a total bad ass! I was looking forward to that one thing. Change that, everyone I knew was looking forward to that. This includes my six yr old who HAS read the books. It irritates me to no end that they add things that doesn’t need to be in the films at all and they can’t put general plot points that were in the book into the movie. So help me God, they better have the ENTIRE ending fight scene b/t Harry and Voldy in Deathly Hollows otherwise there will be ppl who miss the point.

Avatar Image says:

congratulations! i’m just grateful how award-giving bodies continue to recognize and appreciate the efforts of the Harry Potter movies. =)

Write a Reply or Comment