New Photos, Interview with Alan Rickman at Sundance Film Festival

337

Jan 25, 2008

Posted by SueTLC
Uncategorized

Actor Alan Rickman recently attended the Sundance Film Festival to promote his new film “Bottle Shock,” and we have new photos of the actor here in our galleries. As we reported last November, Alan Rickman was set to begin filming on Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince next month, and in very brief interview with Entertainment Weekly, Mr. Rickman again confirms this. He also mentions why he will not discuss his character of Severus Snape who has a such a pivotal role in the sixth Harry Potter film.

AR: “Before you go any further, I never, ever talk about that character. Number one, because it’s not fair on kids who haven’t read to the end. And for me to say anything ” there’s a bit of it that just should be left innocent. It’s real storytelling, what she’s done, and I’m part of that. So I just never talk about it….

EW: It’s a bigger part for you this time.
AR: “Ahh…. There’s important stuff. [Smiles]

As readers will recall, during the PotterCast interview with Harry Potter author J.K. Rowling, Jo discussed Alan Rickman and his performance as Professor Snape, saying she told him at the very early about key plot points involving his character and “he was the only person who knew that for a long, long time.” You can read more about this (book seven spoilers) via the transcript of the interview, here.

48 Responses to New Photos, Interview with Alan Rickman at Sundance Film Festival

Avatar Image says:

what a class act…I would love to see him play Richard III. Come on, Ken Branagh, in the HP cast you have a ready made shakespearean troupe of the highest calibre!

Avatar Image says:

omg his so good, this is great that he repects us veryy….his a wonderful actor and i cant wait till the 6th movie im reading the books again lol and again lol

anyways love you alll

Love Mrz Potter

Avatar Image says:

I love the way he refuses to discuss his character because it might give away too much for children who haven’t read the end.

Avatar Image says:

Love his acting, response, and everything else. Love love love :D

Avatar Image says:

He’s an amazing actor, and I love how he refuses to divulge too much about his character. It showes a certain respect for both the kids who read the books, as well as J.K. Rowling. It’s…Classy, I guess is the word?

Avatar Image says:

Thank you Leaky for the news and photos of Mr. Rickman. He is not only a GREAT actor, but also a wonderful person. A gentleman in every way. I adore him. Hope there’s lots of Snape in movies 6 and 7!!!!!

Avatar Image says:

OMg…Mr. Rickman looks so cool on those pictures…he’s the coolest veteran actor I’ve ever seen…deep respect and admiration

Avatar Image says:

I echo, every sentiment, here! He’s a Class Act. Respects us, and JK.. He “refuses to discuss his character, for fear of ruining the story, for those who haven’t read it” I love it! You go, Mr Rickman!!!!

Avatar Image says:

OMG…I love Alan Richman…I love his voice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He’s the coolest actor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Eu te amo mt msm!!!!!!

kissessssssssssss

Avatar Image says:

Hey, that’s a genuinely classy attitude, that is. For some reason I had Rickman down as one of the stars that might not take HP as seriously as the rest – probably because he’s such a big star in his own right – but that statement demonstrates a real understanding and respect fr the source material.

Good on you, Alan Rickman!

Avatar Image says:

My husbands so nice isnt he? LOL, anyway enough of my daydreaming! What a handsome, repectful hunk. I am just dying to see him in the next movie and if you have read the 6th book over and over like I have, Then you all know why- see I’m being curtious too. Gee I wonder who that half blood prince is? Ha Ha just messin with ya!

Avatar Image says:

My husband is so nice inst he? LOL enough of my daydreaming! what a handsome and respectful hunk! I am just dying to see him in the next movie and if you all have read the sixth book over and over like I have then you know why- see I’m being curtious too. Gee- I wonder who that half blood prince is? Ha Ha just messin with ya!

Avatar Image says:

sorry for the double post something went wrong!

Avatar Image says:

I would love to have watched that discussion, between Alan and Jo.

It must have been remarkable.

Avatar Image says:

It1s impossible not to love him. :)

Avatar Image says:

I love alan rickman….It’s nice to hear a few words from him eventhough it is really few….......

drools

Avatar Image says:

Brilliant, charming, funny, classy. I adore this man (in an entirely non-stalkerish way, I swear, ahem).

Avatar Image says:

Wow! A tear came down my cheek when I read that. He said that perfectly. Makes sense now why he doesn’t talk about it. He respects it that much. And the ’ real storytelling’. sigh. He knows what a great character Snape is. And he plays him so wonderfully. He is truly a beautiful genteleman. Thank You Alan! Love you always! OX :)

Avatar Image says:

Thanks Sue for the Alan Rickman up-date…..I have to join in the praises of the amazing Mr. Rickman. He is always so discreet in the background – even though his character “Snape” is so important – right after Harry’s! I only hope they aren’t go to spoil it for us in “HBP”! What an ending that movie is going to have….with all the romance going on – and then – right up in the Astronomy tower – Severus Snape fulfills his promise to Albus Dumbledore! I swear, Mr. Rickman will do a wonderful job….as always :-)

Avatar Image says:

First off I finally watched Sweeney Todd last night- brilliant movie! And Pottercasters an Alan Rickman interview would be brilliant!!!!

Avatar Image says:

I didn’t like Rickman in OotP, Snape was supposed to be angry in those scenes they included, and he looked always calm. That worked for the previous movies, but it should have been different in this one, because it was different in the book. And I can not blame the script because in his scenes the script could have been played in the same way it was writtn inthe book. Just because his name is Alan Rickman some people don’t judge his work objectively.

Avatar Image says:

I can’t wait to see Bottle Shock. I looks really good. Hay Sue, John, and Melisa how about Alan Rickman on potter cast!!!

Avatar Image says:

AR: “Before you go any further, I never, ever talk about that character. Number one, because it’s not fair on kids who haven’t read to the end. And for me to say anything — there’s a bit of it that just should be left innocent. It’s real storytelling, what she’s done, and I’m part of that. So I just never talk about it….”

I just don’t get this. Is there really any child out there that is hp fans and hasn’t read the books by now? I don’t think so. And the things about innocent I don’t get either. Actors talk about the characters they are acting as. What do they thing of it, why take the role and etc. So I don’t get it. I love him as snape though. He does great job.

Avatar Image says:

Isn’t he just the loveliest man! He can read to me anytime, anywhere!

Avatar Image says:

Is that a new picture of Snape in HBP on the top right hand side of the sceen? I don’t remember seeing this scene before. It looks like he’s at Slughons Christmas party…?

Avatar Image says:

I knew there was a reason I respected Mr. Rickman-I just find it very classy and very… kind, I guess, what he said about the character and why he doesn’t talk about Snape. Also because of what he said about Jo-“It’s real storytelling, what she’s done.”

Avatar Image says:

He is such a great actor and I love the way he really gets that HP is a truly special story.

Avatar Image says:

Casting Alan Rickman… even though he’s 30 years (!) older than the role… was one of the best moves the filmmakers ever made. What a brilliant man.

Avatar Image says:

Yes -a class act and an object lesson (which some others who shall remain nameless, could follow) of an actor who plainly loves and respects his role and the source material.

Avatar Image says:

AMAZING! A class act all the way…:o) I love that he respects Jo’s entire body of work – and respecting the reader’s on this amazing journey. I had the incredible good fortune to briefly meet Mr. Rickman while he was “up here” in Northern Ontario filming Snow Cake – he was quiet, but outstandingly kind and very giving – again a class act all the way. ( And yes – he’s really that good looking in person!! ) Does anyone know if he’s married, or has children? What a cool Dad….(Severus Snape…) Snape, Snape, Severus Snape…..Dumbledore….:o) Have a great day everyone!

Avatar Image says:

@Bellasnape: I think the problem may be that you are inadvertantly, hitting your enter key twice! I do that when I am in too much of a hurry, and my machine doesn’t go as fast as I think it should! LOL @luna (and anyone else who is “confused”) First off, YES. There are those who, for whatever reason, have not read “all the way to the end”. Maybe, they haven’t read the books (or that one, in particular) and only have seen the movies. Those whose parents, for whatever reason, won’t allow them to read the books. But will allow them to see the movies…(go figure on that) .While that is pretty much “unheard of”, in Fandom, it is a fact of life. Telling what the character is doing/has done/will do does “spoil it” for those people. “Takes away the innocence”. I think Mr Rickman has a lot of class and sensitivity. In ALL the roles he’s played. But this one in particular! It does make sense, if you think about it. He “gets it” and respects this role and the source material involved…(especially this one! *)

Avatar Image says:

He’s so amazing. If only I were older… x] Bless him, I can tell he really likes playing Snape. Of course, no one can blame him. He’s perfect. ^^

Stray thought/comparison

Ever notice that Rickman can steal a scene w/o saying a word? I’m thinking of CoS (a moment when he simply raises one eyebrow) PoA (The Boggart Snape) and GoF (Study Hall proctor) in particular. Then watch Tom Felton develop over the same films and beyond: Felton was already an accomplished young actor when the series began, but I wonder if Rickman has been giving him tips similar to Radcliffe getting advice from Oldman?

Avatar Image says:

thank you Confederate lady for the tip, your probably right I am impatient when it comes to posting, this isnt the first time its happened! and I agree bubd that alot of the HP actors mostly Alan can do a scene really well with just body language! I still find it really cool that Gary Oldman played Sirius Black Harrys Godfather when Dan said that is the one actor he was dying to work with! Unfortunatley Gary will be missed in the rest of the films- if only the kept that scene of him and Bella dueling at the end of OOTPwas kept in, it would have made me happy.

Avatar Image says:

Alan Rickman is such a stylish actor. He is Severus Snape to life, His accent and his way of acting is impossible to imitate.

Avatar Image says:

Wow! I live just over the “hill” from Park City. It’s been six below zero every morning for two weeks. I hope Mr. Rickman has brought his long Johns.

Avatar Image says:

So sweeeeet! No wonder JKR told him the truth so early on… I mean what would one NOT tell him when he’s asking with that-voice??? ::Sigh::

Avatar Image says:

Alan Rickman is one of my favorite actors. I love it that he seems to have so much respect for Jo and the story and the fans that he won’t betray the mystery that she built around Snape’s character. He was so silent about the HP movies for a while that it seemed he didn’t really like them. This interview seems to say just the opposite and that makes me very happy.

Anyone know when Bottle Shock might be in the theaters? (I still haven’t been brave enough to go see Sweeney Todd, and locally they are only showing it late in the evenings. With a forecast of snow, it doesn’t seem like the best time to venture out to the theater, even to see Alan Rickman and Johnny Depp. g)

Avatar Image says:

Good idea! Alan Rickman was bloody brillant in Sweeney Todd!

Avatar Image says:

I’m guessing that maybe Alan Rickman asked Jo why Snape hates Harry so much and she just told him the truth. She probably told him that Snape loved Lily and sees her in Harry’s eyes but hates him because he’s the double of James. I got chills watching PoA recently, the bit where Snape goes right up to Harry at his desk and he’s looking into his eyes. If Rickman knew the truth then, and he probably did, that’s pretty meaningful. Not even Cuaron knew and he was directing the scene!!

Avatar Image says:

That is a very chilling scene. He does all his scenes so well that you just want him to keep going, and he also brings out that mysterious side of Snape so well, and his anger and sinisterness are always to a tee as well. Thats why so many of us have said its like he was born to play this part, hes so good! I cant wait to see the Spinners End scene, especially Helen McCrory as Narcissa – Im just dying to see what she looks like so I can put her and Jason together and see if they would = Tom as Draco.

Avatar Image says:

Alan Rickman is tied two ways for position of my favourite actor. This man is brilliant, and I know he will do the best job that anyone possibly could of this. There is no other actor on earth that I can think of that could be Snape the way he is (by the way…name is 1-not made up and 2-unrelated). I just saw Sweeney Todd a week or so ago, so I’m on a serious rejuvenation of confidence in his acting ability (and singing voice, but that has nothing to do with Snape).

Avatar Image says:

Wow. That’s a good looking man!

Avatar Image says:

alan rickman is what makes harry potter if he was not in the films l would not go to see them . he is the glue that holds it alll together . as far as the rest of the cast is concerned they are ok to a point . l seen sweeney todd it was great alan was brill as l would have expected and jonny will hes also sexy . alan will be in show buiss long after the dan emma rupert and all of them are just a memory.l love alan

Avatar Image says:

I am amazed that a website can provide you o much, its definitely more than what was expected. Thanks a ton. Will definitely look forward to more news about the recent film.

Avatar Image says:

God how I wish he was my teacher! Enough said!!

Avatar Image says:

You wish WHO was your teacher ALAN or SNAPE???

anyway I don’t think i want him to be my teacher.I don’t wish he was teacher at first place.

He simply ROCKS as an actor and it would be a shame if he was a TEACHER.

DON’T YOU THINK SO??

Avatar Image says:

Alan Rickman es fascinante, con 62 años sigue siendo un tipo altamente atractivo, sensual, carismático, fantasía sexual de miles de mujeres alrededor del mundo, su actuación sigue siendo versátil y cautivadora; lo mejor de todo es que a diferencia de otros actores él no se queda en el camino !Qué bueno que siga con más proyectos en camino! así tenemos Rickman para rato. Bien por ustedes, británicos, contar con este tremendo actor.

Write a Reply or Comment