J.K. Rowling to Host Party in Scotland for Release of "Beedle the Bard"

Books
October 20, 2008, 07:43 AM

The Scotsman is reporting today that Harry Potter author will be holding a tea party at the National Library of Scotland for the release of The Tales of Beedle the Bard. This special book, proceeds to benefit the Children's High Level Group charity, will be released on December 4, and "ten local schools will be asked to bring 20 pupils, aged between eight and 11, to the party."  The paper reports that "members of the public will be able to win tickets for their school through a ballot held by the Evening News next month." UPDATE 2: The Guardian reports that Bloomsbury, Scholastic and Amazon will also be running competitions to give away places at the tea party. Jo will be reading excerpts from "Beedle" to the children at this event at the library, which "has also borrowed one of seven original handcrafted copies of The Tales of Beedle the Bard to go on display for a month." This copy of the book is the one given to her first editor, Barry Cunningham. UPDATE: The BBC reports the book will be on display to the public starting December 5 until  January 4, 2009.

Jo is quoted as saying: "Hundreds of thousands of vulnerable children in Eastern Europe are living in appalling conditions in large, residential institutions. Contrary to popular belief, fewer than 4% of them are orphans, but are in care because they are considered disabled or their families are poor or from ethnic minorities.

"The charity is publishing The Tales of Beedle the Bard to raise money to fund our work in helping these children out of institutions and in to loving families or community care homes. I hope that The Tales of Beedle the Bard will not only be a welcome present to Harry Potter fans, but an opportunity to give these abandoned children a voice. It will encourage young people across the world to think about those who are less fortunate and help change many young lives for the better."

Emma Nicholson of CHL said "We're thrilled to be hosting the launch in Edinburgh, a city synonymous with JK Rowling and the world of Harry Potter, to raise awareness of the plight of young people living not so many miles away.

"We are extremely grateful to the National Library of Scotland and to Barry Cunningham for agreeing to put on a Beedle display, and would like to extend our thanks again to Bloomsbury, Scholastic, Amazon and the various foreign publishers for their support on this very special, charity publication."

The competition to win tickets will begin in the Evening News on Wednesday, November 5.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Books News

deanna

i cant wait to read this book, i have pre-book so i will be sitting by the letter box on the 4th. wish i could b e at the party………..

Posted by deanna on October 20, 2008, 12:22 PM report to moderator
eszti

Aaahh,those lucky schottish people… :) wish i lived there,anyways,can’t wait for the book :D

Posted by eszti on October 20, 2008, 12:29 PM report to moderator
llalala

congrats, JO :)

you still make events for just children. 11 years the most olders!!! great, they were babies when HP1 was published :) you really care about your trully fans.

Posted by llalala on October 20, 2008, 12:33 PM report to moderator
SueTLC

Testing testing, and woo I would surely like to attend this tea party to say the least! :)

Posted by SueTLC on October 20, 2008, 01:10 PM report to moderator
Lily

lol I’m with you Sue, love to go to this tea party hehehe some reason though it reminds me of the mad-hatters tea party in Alice in Wonderland :P

Posted by Lily on October 20, 2008, 01:20 PM report to moderator
Neil in Scotland

I’m a big kid!!! Can I go please???!!!!

Posted by Neil in Scotland on October 20, 2008, 01:28 PM report to moderator
Neil in Scotland

P.s. Hey Sue, was that the pic John took on your mobile after the GOF premier in NY? :-)

Posted by Neil in Scotland on October 20, 2008, 01:32 PM report to moderator
Ginger

those lucky school kids! I didn’t see Raincoast mentioned among the other publishers…I just hope there’s some contest for canadian readers too!

Posted by Ginger on October 20, 2008, 01:44 PM report to moderator
Beth :)

Yay! It’s times like this I am very happy to be Scottish. I probably won’t be able to go to the tea party..but I’m sure it will be fun for whoever gets to go! :)

Posted by Beth :) on October 20, 2008, 01:44 PM report to moderator
emmy

I wish I was 10 and going to a local Scottish school :-( sniff

Posted by emmy on October 20, 2008, 02:10 PM report to moderator
Emma

I live in scotland but unfortunatly im in secondary school not primary :( why oh why am i too old? Also it’ll be in edinburgh which i live no where near so i have no chance of going.

Posted by Emma on October 20, 2008, 02:16 PM report to moderator
Becca

cries Just for kids again! Whyyy? So tempted to go up to Edinburg and loiter around anyway… Damn you university!

Posted by Becca on October 20, 2008, 02:22 PM report to moderator
Graymayne

Hurrah! The fun goes on. Bless you, Jo!

Posted by Graymayne on October 20, 2008, 03:20 PM report to moderator
Billy

I kind of wish it wasn’t such a young age range because I would love to go but with people around my own age…on the other hand it’s probably a nice opportunity for just them.

Posted by Billy on October 20, 2008, 03:31 PM report to moderator
Neil in Scotland

I actually think that it’s totally appropriate that this event is aimed at primary school age children, because the Children’s High Level Group is a charity aimed at helping younger kids. A very nice gesture!

(That said, this 34 year old kid still wants to go!!!!)

Posted by Neil in Scotland on October 20, 2008, 03:59 PM report to moderator

"She's -- she's sent me a Howler," said Ron faintly.[br]"You'd better open it, Ron," said Neville in a timid whisper. "It'll be worse if you don't. My gran sent me one once, and I ignored it and" -- he gulped -- "it was horrible."

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014