David Heyman on "Half-Blood Prince" Delay

Heyman Interviews
Posted by: Edward
October 30, 2008, 12:15 PM

Harry Potter film producer David Heyman is the subject of a new interview on ComingSoon.net in which he speaks more about the decision to delay the "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince" film.  While doing press for his latest film, "The Boy in the Striped Pajamas," Mr. Heyman spoke in the interview to the reasons for the decision, his own feelings as a creative person, the process in which the films are completed, and his sympathies to the many fans upset by the news.  Mr. Heyman is quoted as saying in regards to the decision:
"I think that there was some people... kids were definitely upset, and I'm really sympathetic to that. I would love the film to come out in November; we would have been ready, but the fact is partly because of the writers strike and for whatever reason, Warners didn't have any movies next summer. They had Batman this year which was bigger than they ever thought it would be, so they came to me, and they said, 'David, we want to move it.' Warners has been really good to us. They've given us lots of money and lots of independence. It defies belief how much independence we have on these films. They give us the money, they read a draft of the script. I choose the director, we make the film, they come and visit. We show them a cut of the film, they say they like it, they give us some notes, we make the changes that we want to make. We test screen it once and show it to them, and then the movie is released. They've been so supportive that one has to support... they needed it. It's a film business."
Mr. Heyman goes on to speak further of this decision in relation to the creative process of creating a series films.  He says:
"It's a shame and it's frustrating in a sense as any creative person, it's nice to put what you've done behind you before you move onto the next and this is still lingering over us until July next year, but also, we'll have to take a week off shooting to do publicity, which is a little bit disruptive. It's not ideal but at the same time, I fully support it, because as I say, they give us the freedom to make these films, and they pay a lot of money."
In the last part of the interview, Mr. Heyman confirms that the film is "done," and filming for the final installments of the seires, Parts One and Two of "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows," will not be affected by the "Half-Blood Prince" move.  Filming for "Deathly Hallows," he says in the article, will still begin in February.  Mr. Heyman offers some details on the unique process of finalizing a film in an environment where piracy is a major issue by relating that "We're just mixing and there's a slight tweak we're going to do but actually, if the film was coming out tomorrow, we'd have done it but we have the time. One of the issues that's come up is security so we are not putting a married print together. We're keeping all the elements separate until we start to make the prints, which will be six weeks before the movie comes out. Piracy is such a huge issue."

"The Boy in the Striped Pajamas" is based on the novel by John Boyne, stars actor David Thewlis (Remus Lupin) as a commandant of a Nazi concentration camp, and will be released in select theaters on November 7th.

"Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince" will be in theaters on July 17, 2009.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Heyman Interviews News

Merope

Well, It was pleasant to read what Heyman says about this. But I still don’t have good feelings about this.

Posted by Merope on October 30, 2008, 12:28 PM report to moderator
PeterPanFan

The decision was made almost like a long time ago. I was upset. I moved on. Christmas is near. Merry Christmas, all!

Posted by PeterPanFan on October 30, 2008, 12:33 PM report to moderator
Billy

At least, unlike the Pres of WB, David is point blank and doesn’t beat around the bush about why the film was moved. Ah well, July will be here before we know it and I’m almost glad it was moved because remember, once these films are done, they’re done! There’s no more… :(

Posted by Billy on October 30, 2008, 12:40 PM report to moderator
Linny

David has put it in a much nicer way than the other reports we’ve had.

I think I’ve kind of moved on now anyway, I’ve got lots of other lovely things to look forward to next month instead :)

Posted by Linny on October 30, 2008, 12:46 PM report to moderator
Kiwi Mc I

We have Beedle the Bard. We’re just going to have to wait unfortunately. I think i’ve made my peace with it now

Posted by Kiwi Mc I on October 30, 2008, 12:50 PM report to moderator
Sarah

I suppose it’s better that the films been moved to july now we have something to look forward to.

Posted by Sarah on October 30, 2008, 12:51 PM report to moderator
Sarah Pound

I get the impression tat David Heyman was not very happy about the change of date. I actually imagine he probably got quite angry with WB at the time especially considering he announced that HPB would be the Royal film performance and how good that was just days before the announcment of the change (So he obviously wasn’t in the know). I really like David Heyman and understand that he can’t slag off WB in public as they are his bosses.

Posted by Sarah Pound on October 30, 2008, 01:01 PM report to moderator
Freya

it’s still upsetting but i’ll wait loyally for nrxt july and your right Kiwi we do have Beedle The Bard which i am SO excited about and we have Harry, A History too which is pretty cool… i loved the trailer but it did make me want to see it more again when i was just getting over having to wait…
Fraz
x

Posted by Freya on October 30, 2008, 01:05 PM report to moderator
Freya

Posted by Freya on October 30, 2008, 01:06 PM report to moderator
Freya

Posted by Freya on October 30, 2008, 01:06 PM report to moderator
Freya

oops sorry my browser said my comment wasn’t going but i guess it was =)

Posted by Freya on October 30, 2008, 01:07 PM report to moderator
Abby

I could hear the frustration in David when he said that they would have to take a week off shooting DH to promote HBP. I would too if I wanted to focus 100% on the last 2 movies of the series. I guess I’m over it too but it was the only thing I was really looking forward to this year. It would have been so much better since I am extremely stressed out this time of year that HP was my escape. Looking on the bright side, I’m attending Azkatraz in San Francisco next year and we will have a whole theater to the attendees for the midnight showing so that would be really exciting!! Anyone else here planning to attend?

Posted by Abby on October 30, 2008, 01:11 PM report to moderator
Professor Potter

If David Heyman was a US presidential candidate, I would vote for him regardless of what party it is! Everything he says always seems so clearcut. Very good diplomacy unlike Alan Horn who seriously has to improve his public interfacing. Its also pretty clear what David Heyman says is true. From using a an all British cast (a frightening prospect I’m sure for WB before Philosipher;s Stone!) to giving Rowling a concultancy role for the scriptwriter, to the magnificent films we have been graced with so far, it so clear that WB has treated this franchise with exceptional care by employing the most talented crew and staying out of their way!

As for the delay, I am well over that, many moons ago. We have got a most special Xmas ahead of us with Tales of Beedle the Bard and Harry, A History (which is so far getting tremendous reviews from US folks, I got to wait longer fo UK release though). And books last a lot longer than watching a 2.5 hr movie :)

Posted by Professor Potter on October 30, 2008, 01:13 PM report to moderator
Rhiannon

I think David Heyman was too nice. Of course now that HBP is being released in the middle of DH filming, they will be behind and there is another excuse to delay that release. And for Dan, it will be more than a week for publicity because he goes to all the big premiers IE Japan, UK, USA and Austrialia and he is in every scene.
But oh well, only 269 more days to wait. Continue the WB boycott!

Posted by Rhiannon on October 30, 2008, 02:02 PM report to moderator
H

I understand their decision to move the film to next summer, but I hope they aren’t expecting Batman turnouts again. Let’s face it, many people saw that film because of the Joker.

Posted by H on October 30, 2008, 02:13 PM report to moderator

"Come back, boy!" she shouted, but Neville was rising straight up like a cork shot out of a bottle -- twelve feet -- twenty feet. Harry saw his scared white face look down at the ground falling away, saw him gasp, slip sideways off the broom and -- WHAM -