Witches Wrock for Breast Cancer

Oct 04, 2008

Posted by Melissa Anelli
Uncategorized

Today and tomorrow I will be taking part in the Avon Walk for the Breast Cancer, a 39-mile walk benefitting research and prevention of breast cancer. In true Harry Potter spirit, a band of wizard rockers have come together to create Witches Who Wrock, an iTunes-exclusive album, the proceeds of which will be donated to the cause. Breast cancer affects hundreds of thousands of women each year and in 2004 had a higher than 20 percent mortality rate in the US, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. One of the disease’s most recent victims was Harry Potter’s own Dame Maggie Smith.

As soon as the benefit album is available we will post it here on Leaky; in the meantime we owe some special thanks here at Leaky for the witches who truly do wrock:

Dolores and the Umbradges
Ginny and the Weasleys
The Moaning Myrtles
Fred and George the Band
Roonil Wazlib
Riddle TM
Romilda Vane and the Chocolate Cauldrons
The Butterbeer Experience
The Gringotts Grrls
The Parselmouths
Tonks and the Aurors

You women are fantastic, thank you! To join in the cause, or if you will do me the honor of sponsoring me in this walk, please visit my Avon page. Thank you!

20 Responses to Witches Wrock for Breast Cancer

Avatar Image says:

Whoot! New CD for the cure! Excellent news. Glad I’m an insomniac.

Avatar Image says:

YAY more Charity Wrock!!!.....must…get…iTunes…cards….

Avatar Image says:

This is fantastic! Such a great cause. Lots of love and hope you have fun Melissa – please tell us how it went in Pottercast

Avatar Image says:

Where do I find it on Itunes? HELP ME!

This sounds fantastic! Can’t wait to hear it =D

Avatar Image says:

Yay charity wrock albums! I love how the wrockers (and other HP fans) are so charitable. Its bloody amazing what everyone does for charity around here, and this is just one more example of it. Can’t wait to get the album!!

Good Luck Melissa!!

My Mum and I thank you for what you are doing!

xx

Avatar Image says:

Way to go Melissa! I will be walking in the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure in Orlando on Sunday.

Avatar Image says:

whee Melissa! she has been talking about this on pottercast for a long time. :)

Avatar Image says:

Are the proceeds going to Avon’s Breast Cancer Crusade specifically?

Avatar Image says:

Good for you and thanks so much to the bands for doing this for us! I just came back a few minutes ago from walking in the Susan G. Komen race for the cure myself! :)

Avatar Image says:

Thanks for the update, Melissa! I knew the walk was coming up, but I wasn’t sure exactly when. Good luck! I’ll definitely be purchasing the iTunes album once it’s available. :)

Melissa,

Thanks for doing this. My mom is a survivor. I donated on the Avon site.

charity wrock = awesome <3

Avatar Image says:

Awesome! Good luck, Melissa!

I will definitely be getting the CD when it comes out.

Avatar Image says:

All of those bands wrock, and for a good cause too! I’m sure the album will be great.

Avatar Image says:

Let us know when it comes out. I love wrock and I love charity!!

(Random thought: don’t hate me for bringing up Twilight and Mugglenet in the same sentence, but if you go to twilightsource.com you can buy a “Cancer Sucks,,,, Twilighters for a cure” shirt. That’s another way to support the fight against breast caner). : )

Avatar Image says:

You people rock ! You totally absolutely rock ! I myself have benefited from the Susan G Komen Cancer Center. I hadn’t any insurance and they set me up for both a mammo and an ultrasound for a scary lump that had been found.

Without people like you all and Melissa walking and charitable events from these great and talented musicians of Witches Wrock I do not know what I would have been able to do.

I’d happily walk with you all if not for a tumor still in my leg, but I am with all of you in wizardy spirit !!

Avatar Image says:

Thanks for doing this Melissa, but don’t forget about us guys, as a 1 year survivor of Breast Cancer myself, we’re trying to get the word out that men need to know they can get breast cancer too. I walk in several different Cancer awareness events (and did so before I was diagnosed) and the more awareness we can get out, the more early detection we can have and the more survivors (not deaths) we’ll have, good luck and way to go Witches (and Wizards) Wrock!!!

Avatar Image says:

I was actually resarching my Halloween costume this year which will figure in with HP & B.C. Awareness when I found this! Absolutly Awesome! I can’t wait to hear the album! I may even figure it in with my outfit for my HP groups Halloween party! And I think you all doing this is awesome! Thank you for supporting the cause! I was diagnosed at 28, I’m now 31, and I am still trying to get past what chemo has done to me. A cure must be found soon! Witches & Wizard Unite! ;)

Write a Reply or Comment