Tales of Beedle the Bard Pre-Orders "Shipping Soon"

Books
November 29, 2008, 07:23 PM

With just four days left until the release of the new book by Harry Potter author J.K. Rowling, fans (including this editor) who have pre-ordered their copies of The Tales of Beedle the Bard have started seeing their order status set to "shipping soon" or "dispatching soon." Very exciting business indeed!
On a related note, the LA Times is one of many papers starting to preview the book which goes on sale this week on December 4, with the paper giving some new details on a time frame for the book and a quote from Dumbledore. It reads:

It's J.K. Rowling's new book of short fable-style stories set in 16th century Muggle society, a time before the wizarding world went into hiding (as they are in the "Harry Potter" novels). Thankfully, Professor Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore puts the collection in context for modern Muggle readers, noting that "Beedle was somewhat out of step with his times in preaching a message of brotherly love for Muggles." (Thursday)

As a reminder, The Tales of Beedle the Bard were first mentioned in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, and are now being published in 23 countries on December 4, 2008. All proceeds from the sale of the new 128 page book will benefit the Children's High Level Group charity. As reported many times previously, Scholastic, the US publishers of the Harry Potter novels, describes this new book as follows:

The Tales of Beedle the Bard, a Wizarding classic, first came to Muggle readers’ attention in the book known as Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.  Now, thanks to Hermione Granger’s new translation from the ancient runes, we present this stunning edition with an introduction, notes, and illustrations by J. K. Rowling, and extensive commentary by Albus Dumbledore. Never before have Muggles been privy to these richly imaginative tales: “The Wizard and the Hopping Pot,” “The Fountain of Fair Fortune,” “The Warlock’s Hairy Heart,” “Babbitty Rabbitty and Her Cackling Stump,” and of course, “The Tale of the Three Brothers.” But not only are they the equal of fairy tales we now know and love, reading them gives new insight into the world of Harry Potter.

The stories are accompanied by delightful pen-and-ink illustrations by Ms. Rowling herself, featuring a still-life frontispiece for each one. Professor Dumbledore’s commentary—apparently written some eighteen months before his death—reveals not just his vast knowledge of Wizarding lore, but also more of his personal qualities: his sense of humor, his courage, his pride in his abilities, and his hard-won wisdom. Names familiar from the Harry Potter novels sprinkle the pages, including Aberforth Dumbledore, Lucius Malfoy and his forebears, and Sir Nicholas de Mimsy-Porpington (or “Nearly Headless Nick”), as well as other professors at Hogwarts and the past owners of the Elder Wand. Dumbledore tells us of incidents unique to the Wizarding world, like hilariously troubled theatrical productions at Hogwarts or the dangers of having a “hairy heart.” But he also reveals aspects of the Wizarding world that his Muggle readers might find all too familiar, like censorship, intolerance, and questions about the deepest mysteries in life.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Books News

Mike

I got my email earlier today. I cant wait!!

Posted by Mike on November 29, 2008, 07:36 PM report to moderator
katie

Woo! Just saw I was charged today =)

Posted by katie on November 29, 2008, 08:20 PM report to moderator
lisa

i am so excited!! who cares about finals? i’ll be waiting by my mailbox!!

Posted by lisa on November 29, 2008, 08:48 PM report to moderator
Liza

Ahhhh, I can’t wait! The collector’s edition will probably be my biggest Potter indulgence yet, and I’m so excited. :D

Posted by Liza on November 29, 2008, 08:51 PM report to moderator
Arka

Oh my Dumbledore! That’s great! I hope I can get the book not too soon after it’s released; I doubt Amazon will ship at midnight though. I totally forgot that the book will have Dumbledore doodles or notes.

Posted by Arka on November 29, 2008, 09:09 PM report to moderator
Celtise

Mine still hasnt changed! though it is UK amazon which may be different. I wish i could wait by my mailbox for it and ignore finals but that wouldnt help cause its going to my other address so i wont get it until xmas eve! sobs

Posted by Celtise on November 29, 2008, 09:20 PM report to moderator
H

Oooooo, so soon! I’m so excited! Let’s have a group squee!

Posted by H on November 29, 2008, 09:48 PM report to moderator
Sophie

Awesome! Got an email telling me this just ten minutes ago ;D Can’t wait!!

Posted by Sophie on November 29, 2008, 09:54 PM report to moderator
bella vita

I haven’t received this e-mail from Amazon yet, but as soon as I saw this post I went straight to check my order status and now it says “shipping soon”! I am so excited for this week! First we’ve got Dan on Inside the Actor’s Studio and Beedle the Bard will be here Thursday then last but not least the Harry Potter weekend on ABC Family with its HBP exclusives! I really do hope that the Collector’s Edition really is worth that $103 Amazon is charging. Still… squee same day delivery! Can’t wait!

Posted by bella vita on November 29, 2008, 10:06 PM report to moderator
Bruce Roberts

I went to Amazon and the regular version shows shipping soon with a Dec 4th shipping date. But the Deluxe edition still says has not shipped and an expected date of Dec 8th. Amazon UK says dispatch date for the regular version is Dec 3rd with expected delivery Dec 13 to 17. I only got the deluxe version from Amazon US but I got both the regular versions as the UK version has a different color and better paper.

Posted by Bruce Roberts on November 29, 2008, 10:15 PM report to moderator
Leanne

I can’t wait until Thursday!!! I’m so excited to read these stories! I really wish I wasn’t a poor student and could afford the deluxe edition! I hope everyone who gets the deluxe will post pictures for the rest of us to be jealous of!

Posted by Leanne on November 29, 2008, 10:51 PM report to moderator
Confederate Lady

I am excited! I won’t be getting my copy, by mail, though! I’ll be waiting, outside ‘Books-A-Million’, waiting patiently [ well, maybe not patiently] for them to open! I didn’t order, from Amazon, but directly at the store. This is going to be such a great addition to an already large collection. Something tells me that this collection is just going to keep on growing! I am totally thrilled!

Posted by Confederate Lady on November 29, 2008, 11:15 PM report to moderator
Moody One

Mine still hasn’t changed yet! OMG I’m panicking!!!!!

Posted by Moody One on November 30, 2008, 12:11 AM report to moderator
josh

i am so excited cause the books out my birthday the 4th the best b day present

Posted by josh on November 30, 2008, 07:14 AM report to moderator
josh

i am so excited cause the books out my birthday the 4th the best b day present

Posted by josh on November 30, 2008, 07:14 AM report to moderator

"I'll make it," Lockhart butted in. "I must have done it a hundred times. I could whip up a Mandrake Restorative Draught in my sleep --"[br]"Excuse me," said Snape icily. "But I believe I am the Potions master at this school."[br]There was a very awkward

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014