Tom Felton On Draco in "Half-Blood Prince" and "Deathly Hallows" Films

Felton Interviews
Posted by: Edward
November 04, 2008, 01:33 PM

The third part of an interview with Harry Potter actor Tom Felton (Draco Malfoy) is now online from our friends at Feltbeats.com.  In this interview, Mr. Felton discusses more about his character in the films, as well as his experience while filming of the sixth film, "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince."  In addition to this, Mr. Felton also speaks breifly about the upcoming "Deathly Hallows" film.  In regards to showing a 'more in-depth' Draco Malfoy in "Half-Blood Prince, "Mr. Felton relates his happiness, and goes on to say:

"When David Yates dragged me [aside] at the beginning of it and said, “I have full faith in you,” yadda yadda, and I hope that you’re going to embrace the role and so forth. And I was fairly terrified. We did a read-through with Michael Gambon, and I was petrified at the thought of the final scene.
"But after that, I guess I sort of learned a lot on the set, and David Yates was really my motivation. He was very, very, complimentary of everything he saw and very good with direction. He knew exactly what to say to get the results he wanted. And what the producers saw, they were very, very happy as well. And that sort of spurred me on even further. And, it was great fun. I really, really enjoyed it more than any other film, without a doubt. Sort of, embracing the role, if you will, and making the most of it."

Additionally, he speaks to his being able to show a different side of Draco:

"It was great; it was probably the most exciting thing about playing the character this year. Obviously, he was a little bit two-dimensional in previous films. He was just a rather spiteful git for the sake of it; whereas in this film you get to see why he’s a bit of a git because of his father and his upbringing and so forth. You get to see both sides, really, of his extremes – the side where obviously his father is away and he’s trying to take on the male role and so forth.
"But equally, the pressure will get too much for him, and you’ll see a much weaker side of him. So yeah, it was great playing a bit more versatile character, rather than just two-dimensional."

The topic of the "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows" film is also mentioned in this interview.  He reveals that there are two scenes in particular that he is excited to film ("There’s one in the Malfoy Manor and one in the Room of Requirement,") and goes on to speak of his character's relation to the Elder Wand in the final book:

"It was obviously great fun reading it. And, obviously, you try not to, but whenever you see your name in print your heart starts racing and you think, “Here you go. What’s going to happen here?” So yeah, I’m really looking forward to seeing my house, you know, and sort of being in the house with Jason [Issacs] and all the other Death Eaters that I worked with in this film, because they were all a great laugh. So that will be fun, no doubt.
"And obviously, the big fight at the end, where I lose one of my campadres to the fire, or summat like that. That will be great fun, because it will be like a full-on battle scene which has been long overdue."

This series of interviews leads up to the Tom Felton's upcoming appearance on the ITV2 show, "Jack Osbourne: Celebrity Adrenaline Junkie" on November 12th.  Audio recordings of the interviews can also be found on the website.

Thanks to FeltBeats.com.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Felton Interviews News

K

Posted by K on November 04, 2008, 01:43 PM report to moderator
Professor Potter

I love the way Felton is emphasising on the embracing of the role! Admittedly, up to HBP his character has been rather caricature (entertaining nevertheless) but he wasnt really tested in the acting stakes which clearly is in demand for the first time with HBP. I can picture Yates secretly concerned if Felton can do this but outwardly instils confidence in him. HBP is the big one for him and I have a feeling he pulls it off from the little footage we have seen so far.

Posted by Professor Potter on November 04, 2008, 01:58 PM report to moderator
Slither

Tom is wonderful.
I’m glad Draco won’t be two dimentional in this movie. I want to be able to see how his upbringing shaped him, and all his weak moments and misguided bravado.

Posted by Slither on November 04, 2008, 02:29 PM report to moderator
Moody One

Tom is a wonderful actor. I just love him and how he makes you hate Draco so bad and yet feel sorry for him. Cheers to Tom!

Posted by Moody One on November 04, 2008, 02:47 PM report to moderator
brit

yay 4 tom

Posted by brit on November 04, 2008, 03:03 PM report to moderator
Confederate Lady

I am so happy to hear Mr Felton speak on his role as ‘Draco Malfoy’ as an actor. I’m pretty sure it IS a taxing role. And the 6th movie will really put that to front. I am also glad to hear someone elses opinion on Mr Yates. He is one great director. Even Tom says that David knows how to get what he wants, from his actors, and is very sensitive to their needs, as well. You may not like him, but his actors certainly do. Sometimes, that’s half the battle! I can’t wait to see this movie and ‘Deathly Hallows’

Posted by Confederate Lady on November 04, 2008, 03:24 PM report to moderator
jenn

argh, why did i read this and look through the new pics in the same day, dang it leaky, stop making me so freakin’ excited!! :D

Posted by jenn on November 04, 2008, 03:49 PM report to moderator
iamminerva

I am looking forward to Tom’s scenes in HBP. This film was his opportunity to shine and I hope he took full advantage of it.

Posted by iamminerva on November 04, 2008, 05:10 PM report to moderator
Alyonka

I’m so glad that Yates let Tom to show what he truly can.Tom is very talanted actor and even these couple of minutes when he appears on screen in HP are always excellently performed.Go Tom!

Posted by Alyonka on November 05, 2008, 02:54 AM report to moderator
harrypotter<3me

this is sicked!!! Now im so soo excited for HBP that I dont know what to do! Just wanna jump aorund and scream or something like that, but i’m at a libary so I guess I cant Do that … :/ anyway, tom rocks!! :)

Posted by harrypotter<3me on November 05, 2008, 03:15 AM report to moderator
Siena

Tom is a great actor who really contributes a hell of a lot to the HP films. Draco Malfoy is one of the most interesting characters in the book, showing the boundaries of evil really, he goes along for a certain time but then with a force realizes it’s not what he thought it would be – it’s not about gaining glory and self- respect but it is about war – a cruel war. Tom will master it brilliantly I’m sure – I’m particularly looking forward to his scenes with Rickman and Gambon.

Posted by Siena on November 05, 2008, 12:04 PM report to moderator
Crown Victoria

I really hope Tom steps up in theis movie. I hope we see that depth. Im pretty sure he can do it

Posted by Crown Victoria on November 05, 2008, 04:29 PM report to moderator
Arvie

can’t wait to see him cry!!! Tom is just freakin’ awesome!! i admire his acting! and him as well!!! LoL! xP

Posted by Arvie on November 30, 2008, 11:47 PM report to moderator
tomfeltonrox

wooooooooooooooooo go tom

Posted by tomfeltonrox on January 16, 2009, 09:40 PM report to moderator

"Dumbledore thinks that -- what was [br]it? -- 'to the well-organized mind, death is but the next great adventure.'"[br] "I always said he was off his rocker," said Ron, looking quite impressed at how crazy his hero was.