Wizard Rock the Vote!

Fans
Posted by: Melissa
November 04, 2008, 04:35 AM

Today is Election Day in the US, and we'd like to remind you, along with The HP Alliance, to Wizard Rock the VOTE! Get out there and vote, no matter who you are voting for. It matters in and outside America, and it will affect the course of the world.

Here are a couple of links to help:

Google makes it easy to find your polling place and registration information at maps.google.com/vote.

If you aren't registered, but live in Idaho, Iowa, Maine, Minnesota, New Hampshire, or Wisconsin, you can register at the polls on the day of the election (TODAY): click here for more on polling places and other voting info.

You can research the ballot initiatives going on in your state here.

Remember that your vote is important and don't let anyone get between you and your choice!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Fans News

harryfan

I wish I could. too young.

Posted by harryfan on November 04, 2008, 05:18 AM report to moderator
Britt

I don’t see why my comment was deleted. I’m not denying its importance, just saying that it’s ENTIRELY IRRELEVENT to this website.

I just want to read some Harry Potter news. That’s it. That’s why I’ve been visiting this site since 2001. Harry Potter news.

Right. Let’s push an America-centric issue on a news site geared toward children’s novels from a British author. This makes great sense.

Posted by Britt on November 04, 2008, 05:49 AM report to moderator
Katie B.

I’m awake and counting down the next forty-nine minutes until my polling place opens! This is the first presidential election I am old enough to vote in. And to all my fellow young Americans, pleeeease go vote! I know some times it seems like it doesn’t matter, but it does! You live in a democracy, be proud and exercise your right to choose your leader.

Posted by Katie B. on November 04, 2008, 06:15 AM report to moderator
Edex

I am not an american and i DONT CARE TO READ IT HERE.

BTW im for republicans =].. cuz i simply dislike obama.

Posted by Edex on November 04, 2008, 06:45 AM report to moderator
Mary-Ann

Hiyas, am loving all the great features on TLC and the news etc and always have, or I never would have featured u guys so heavily in my articles online. And although I do realise that there is a great problem in getting people to vote in any country, this post does feel rather like the site editors are pushing their own political agenda. Perhaps you could give posts like this a different section heading? I just don’t think that this is something that “All Fans” should be reading. Remember, a lot of your audience is not in the U.S., and while we’re interested in the American elections, this is, still, a Harry Potter news site, first and foremost. Take care & best wishes xxoo

Posted by Mary-Ann on November 04, 2008, 07:07 AM report to moderator
Justin

This is a generic and worldwide topic. I don’t doubt that plenty of dubject specific sites will have something similar to this on their news page. It’s a reminder and a good one at that. If you don’t live in the US or don’t care about it (when in my opinion you should because this affects everyone in the world.) then don’t read it. Simple. It’s a general global announcement and I can’t understand why some of you are freaking out about something that while offtopic, is very important to the world.

Posted by Justin on November 04, 2008, 07:20 AM report to moderator
Justin

And no, please don’t think that I am being the ‘typical american who thinks so highly of himself’ and/or ‘the american who wants to make sure everyone knows that he and his country are better than everyone else’s.’ This day and what it is about are going to have a huge impact, as always, on the world for the next four years.

And I don’t really see how posting this on a subject specific site is pushing any political agenda. They’re not saying ‘Vote Obama!’ or Vote McCain!‘. Then, it would be a little disturbing. I don’t consider urging people to vote for anyone they please and want to vote for “pushing politcal agenda.” Maybe you do, but eh.

Posted by Justin on November 04, 2008, 07:25 AM report to moderator
Confederate Lady

Thank you, Katie B. And thank you TLC and WizardRock….for taking the time to remind us all of our basic rights. If some do not care to read this small reminder[because you are not an American], please. Feel free NOT to read it, and pass on to the next piece of news. This particular event will have an effect everywhere. But especially here. I will continue to have the right to read Harry Potter or any other book I care to. Not necessarily because of who I will vote for. Or who gets elected. But because I have the freedom to choose.

Posted by Confederate Lady on November 04, 2008, 07:33 AM report to moderator
Kami

Please, Please, Please vote! The person you choose affects everyone in the ENTIRE WORLD!

Posted by Kami on November 04, 2008, 07:44 AM report to moderator
Bell

I’m from Argentina, and I think IT IS GREAT they’re doing this. Voting is important. And everything is politics- HP books push their own agenda too- wellfare estate, freedom of speech, equality, respect for human rights. And guess what? IT IS NOT WRONG.

The fact that voting isn’t mandatory for you disturbes me greatly. Voting is not a right, it is a duty, even if you vote a white card. When you don’t vote, you say “I don’t care if politicians destroy my country, and I don’t care if they destroy the rest of the world”.

Please, PLEASE, vote. The results will affect you, and will affect ME.

Posted by Bell on November 04, 2008, 07:59 AM report to moderator
Lillylove

I just got finished saying to my husband how cool it is that TLC & the HPA put out info like “Wizard Rock the Vote.” Harry’s world parallels our own in so many ways. Though some may feel your brief message regarding today’s US elections has no place on TLC, this fan appreciates your efforts to encompass many things that touch the lives of HP lovers. It’s not like you are saying “Harry Potter fans should vote for______!” Folks need to remember it is not mandatory to read every single word within the site if it is not something that interests them. THANKS LEAKY STAFF!

Posted by Lillylove on November 04, 2008, 08:14 AM report to moderator
Neil in Scotland

Well as a Brit who recognises that there important things happening outwith these shores, I say this:

COME ON AMERICA, GET OUT AND VOTE!!! Today is your day and I hope it will be a great day! As Jo Rowling said, and I paraphrase, voting is your right and your privilege, but you also have a great responsibility to exercise that right. You must vote! What happens today will effect the whole world and we are counting on you to bring about change!!!

(Something I posted on another site earlier today.)

I agree with Justin, if you don’t wanna read about it, don’t read it! I do not, however agree with either Britt or Mary-Ann.

Britt, this is not irrelevant to this site because Leaky has always been a site with a social conscience. Also, it’s not as if there is no politics in the books, is there?

Mary-Ann, I’m sorry, but you’re quite wrong. As always Leaky has done a great job of remaining “publicly neutral”, while encouraging people to exercise their democratic right to vote. At no point have they tried to influence what way you should vote (“Get out there and vote, no matter who you are voting for”- see above) and they have not been trying to pursue their own political agenda.

Posted by Neil in Scotland on November 04, 2008, 08:19 AM report to moderator
Rose

I really don’t think that TLC needs to add to the mess of “rock the vote” stuff thats out there already. We all know we should vote so stop acting like we can’t think for ourselves.

And what the heck does this have to do with Harry Potter? I’d really like to know. This post is very inappropriate for the site as a whole in my opinion.

Posted by Rose on November 04, 2008, 08:19 AM report to moderator
Barb Powell

Melissa, thanks for the appropriate, non-partisan Wizard Rock the Vote reminder that voting is important. Everybody who doesn’t like that she took 2 lines to remind people to vote, just consider it a brief commercial. We now return you to your regularly scheduled website …

Posted by Barb Powell on November 04, 2008, 08:29 AM report to moderator
Hedwigthegreat

Wow.

And there I thought there’d be a load of “I voted – woo for me” type comments to this story theres just some childish whiney “whats this to do with HP” comments. Really. Whats this to do with HP? The motions to ban the books? It only takes a Fudge type leader and your rights can go right out the window.

I’m in the UK and i’m following the election, mainly because thanks to the West Wing I understand it – lol – and its important to be interested in this stuff.

So come on – who’s gonna be the first person to say they voted – I’ll save a special “Yay for you” & (mental) chocolate cookie for that person!

Posted by Hedwigthegreat on November 04, 2008, 08:32 AM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Apr. 2014

"Now... those three curses -- [i]Avada Kedavra,[/i] Imperius, and Cruciatus -- are known as the Unforgivable Curses. The use of any one of them on a fellow human being is enough to earn a life sentence in Azkaban."