Los Angeles Times on How to Transform Beedle the Bard Into a Film

Books
Posted by: Melissa
December 16, 2008, 06:20 PM

Thanks to reader arkapain, for the link to this article in the Los Angeles Times on how to turn Beedle the Bard into a movie. Suggestions include turning it into Potter prequel using Dumbledore's commentary, expand "The Warlock's Hairy Heart" (and no messing with the ending!), create more than five tales and use them for an animated spinoff, or make the greatest HP DVD extras ever. A lot more on these ideas at the link. Enjoy!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Books News

Celtise

oh i bet WB would find some way to make it a film just for the money…

Posted by Celtise on December 16, 2008, 06:42 PM report to moderator
KB Prez

Hey WB, put your hands up and back away from the Beedle!

Posted by KB Prez on December 16, 2008, 06:44 PM report to moderator
H

If they have to make a movie- if they really, really have to make a movie; they should just do the five stories as they are in the book. But filming the exact story from a book isn’t really Hollywood; so it’s doubtful that would happen.

Posted by H on December 16, 2008, 06:57 PM report to moderator
jenny

I’m still not that into the idea of Beedle as a movie. It’s a really, really fun book, but a movie? Eh.

Posted by jenny on December 16, 2008, 07:07 PM report to moderator
Courtney

If they had to do anything with the stories, I think the best thing would be like, DVD extra features or 5 individual short “movies.” It would be really great if they could somehow incorporate the commentary… but, they’ll probably just do whatever they think will make them the most money so…

Posted by Courtney on December 16, 2008, 07:20 PM report to moderator
hpboy13

Oh, I’m sure WB will wrangle something. I still say FOuntain of Fair Fortune has by far the most potential. Do a movie about Hogwarts trying to put on the show, but in the actual story as someone reads it, and there’s 2 hours for you no sweat!
As to the suggestions here, I don’t find any of them particularly realistic. The first one ahs the mnost merit, of doing an HP “prequel”. Expanding Hairy Heart would be a good idea if it weren’t for hte fatc that HP is supposed ot be a children’s franchise. I would personally love a mini-series, but I don’t see JKR writing ten mroe fairytales upon command. And they’d never make them DVD extras – why waste the $ on DVDs most people will buy anyway (or does anyone see people who weren’t gonna buy it originally buying it for the Tales extra?)

Posted by hpboy13 on December 16, 2008, 07:29 PM report to moderator
Moody One

Courtney I’m with ya. I think the only way it would work would be as a DVD extra. i just don’t think that they should be made into one. Maybe based on one story. But not all five together. Merry Christmas everybody!

Posted by Moody One on December 16, 2008, 07:38 PM report to moderator
Andrew

Well, what i’m thinking would best suit, if they had a character retelling the story. For example, maybe adult harry/hermione/or ron all reading the stories from beedle bard outloud. Obviously, when they read the Peveral brothers, memories from movie 7 could flashback, it would be very dramatic. Or another idea would be to go back in the past when dumbledore first received the book and he read it. While reading it, he took all the other stories lightly until he got to the Peveral story, something would click. Thus setting up the future of the series. Personally, i would like the the Harry/Ron/Hermione story, but that is my opinion lol. :-)

Posted by Andrew on December 16, 2008, 08:15 PM report to moderator
hcaulfield37

I’d love for them to shoot “The Tale of the Three Brothers” in its entirety. That way they could cut to it during the telling of it in Deathly Hallows, and have it as an extra on the eventual DVD release.

Posted by hcaulfield37 on December 16, 2008, 08:20 PM report to moderator
Donna

I don’t trust WB to stick to the book. I agree with most of the comments above: stick the book, do five short stories AS IS, and release on DVD. I also think that if they do the movie the shouldn’t try and HP it up. Just let it be.

Posted by Donna on December 16, 2008, 08:35 PM report to moderator
Eeyore

No, no, no. Please, JKR, make them stop. I love the Tales of Beedle the Bard, well, not so much “The Hairy Heart” — too creepy for me, but they need to stay fairy tales that are read, not watched.

WB, leave it alone, PLEASE!!!

Posted by Eeyore on December 16, 2008, 08:46 PM report to moderator
pottervfd

I’ve seen several stories from the film “Paris, je t’aime” and I think they worked very well together. Although they are each completely different stories, they all center around love in Paris as a theme. There are 8 different stories, each running about 10-15 minutes each, which adds up to an 80-120 minute film. If WB were to make a “Beedle” movie, I think they could learn something from “Paris, je t’aime”. WB doesn’t have to do this, but they could also have a different director for each Tale, like “Paris, je t’aime” did.

Posted by pottervfd on December 16, 2008, 09:33 PM report to moderator
elven*princess221

I think the best way would be to have all five stories in one film and have Beedle as the narrator. I would like it best if it were animated like the Shrek movies. I think it would do well. Not as well as the regular HP movies of course because it would be more for kids than the others, but I still think it do well. And I don’t think The Warlock’s Hairy Heart would be as scary if it were animated, so no worries there. I definitley don’t think they should be released only on the dvds as extras. I think they’re good enough to go on the big screen.

Posted by elven*princess221 on December 16, 2008, 09:36 PM report to moderator
marian

i like the ultimate dvd extra’s thing. it seems like it would be the best adaptation without dragging out the stories or the wait for popular demand.

Posted by marian on December 16, 2008, 10:39 PM report to moderator
margoooo

Just curious, Celtise, but what do film studios do? They don’t do it for the novelty and, frankly, there are people to be paid. I still think it’s funny that people think studios should make films without thinking about money… they’re companies!

Do you guys think McDonald’s would sell Big Macs if they didn’t sell… no. It’s a company.

Posted by margoooo on December 16, 2008, 11:25 PM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014

[i]"Jiggery pokery!"[/i] said Harry in a fierce voice. [i]"Hocus pocus -- squiggly [br]wiggly --"[/i][br]"MUUUUUUM!" howled Dudley, tripping over his feet as he dashed back toward the house. "MUUUUM! He's doing you know what!"