Steve Kloves Comments on WB Worrying over Anticipation for Potter Films ?

Movies
December 28, 2008, 07:50 PM

The serious economic and credit issues facing all of us are hitting Hollywood as well, as noted in this new article from The Independent. The piece focuses on the financial concerns major film studios have regarding large scale big budget fantasy films, and makes mention of the Harry Potter films series. Without quotes, the article states that Harry Potter Screenwriter Steve Kloves has apparently made some new comments regarding Warner Bros and the upcoming Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, and Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows films. The article reads as follows:

Even Harry Potter, the most profitable franchise in film history, isn't totally secure. Its screenwriter, Steve Kloves, said recently that Warner Bros was worried about the prospects for the last three films in the series, since J K Rowling is no longer driving anticipation for the titles by producing new books.

The piece then continues to point out that "Harry Potter Surpassed 'Star Wars' and 'The Lord of the Rings', with $4.5bn (£3.1bn) in sales. Three installments remain. The 'Half-Blood Prince' will be released next year ."  We are uncertain as to when and where Mr. Kloves made these comments and are trying to obtain more on this interview; updates will be posted on this matter as soon as we can.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Movies News

nubiana

Ahh, the HP movie franchise will be fine. No worries mate!

Posted by nubiana on December 28, 2008, 07:55 PM report to moderator
nicole

So, that’s why WB postponed the sixth film…They think we weren’t anticipating the movie enough…So, let’s push it back 8 months…So logical…You have got to be kidding!

Posted by nicole on December 28, 2008, 08:01 PM report to moderator
steph

well maybe if they released the 6th movie when they said they were going to they wouldn’t have so much trouble! people would be more iterested in going to see the next one if they had already seen the 6th!

Posted by steph on December 28, 2008, 08:02 PM report to moderator
mollywobble

Considering they’ll be 5 months into filming DH when HBP comes out, I’m not worried. Besides, if Twilight, which has been panned by critics can break records, I’m not worried about Potter, especially after we saw how many copies of Beedle were sold in the first week. Potter is a well established franchise. If the economy affects the films at all, it will mean DH has a smaller budget. I really don’t see them doing that. Warner Bros. should be more concerned about whether or not Watchmen will be released on time or whether they’ll have to share the profits with Fox.

In terms of fantasy films, Narnia failed due to bad planning and advertising by Disney. Golden Compass and Eragon didn’t have a big enough fan base to really take off. Besides, neither film were that great. Ironman and Dark Knight, though not fantasy films, did so well because they already had an established fan base (see Twilight again).

Posted by mollywobble on December 28, 2008, 08:08 PM report to moderator
Mimblewimble

Warner Bros. should worry about making the best possible movies, not whether or not JKR is coming out with another book.

Posted by Mimblewimble on December 28, 2008, 08:20 PM report to moderator
Michelle

mollywobble has a good point, but let me also point out the fact that The Dark Knight and Iron Man both succeeded, just as the Harry Potter films do, not only on account of the established fan bases, but on account of their quality. If you actually group the fan base into one collective, removing the curious general public, you get a rather small group, technically. The fan base does not power the box office, it’s the curious general public. Harry Potter and The Dark Knight and Iron Man succeed because they look like good movies that anyone can go see. That’s why they make money. They are also decent films. The critics like them too. Did you see the critics liking Twilight. Did you see EVERYONE flocking to Twilight. No. You saw some curious people and then the film failed expectations and slowed quickly. It’s big enough to warrant a sequel but it’s by no means a massive thing. Because the film wasn’t made well enough.

WB is just stupid. Everyone knows studio bosses are brainless warts. Harry Potter isn’t going to die because Rowling isn’t shoving her books down the public’s throat. That’s not the point. The point is to the see the bloody continuance on the screen of the books we love that are already out. But not at the price of lowered quality or anything.

Posted by Michelle on December 28, 2008, 08:24 PM report to moderator
Mr. Blood

I read last night that Disney pulled the plug on Voyage of the Dawn Treader. Considering that Prince Caspian grossed over $400 million (and the film was budgeted for $200 million) it made no sense to me. However, if they can’t scrape up the cash to make the movie in the first place, it makes no difference how much it brings in. Sad.

Posted by Mr. Blood on December 28, 2008, 08:24 PM report to moderator
Luna

I’m definitely not worried. As someone above said, HBP will come out 5 months into filming DH, so that will give them a boost. They want to make the last two films the best they can make them.

Posted by Luna on December 28, 2008, 08:25 PM report to moderator
marypao

I agree with mollywobble. He’s probably worried along with those who saw the article the other day about Disney pulling out from the Narnia franchise. However, Warner Bros has a little less to worry about then Disney since they have two very profitable franchises: Batman and Harry Potter. I don’t think Disney hasn’t been as lucky lately.

Posted by marypao on December 28, 2008, 08:26 PM report to moderator
wilson

Personally, I wish my electric bill was due on the 10th of the month instead of the 6th, so I could pay it with January income instead of December income. Guess how worried I am about the multi-millionaires and the multi-billionaires!

Posted by wilson on December 28, 2008, 08:30 PM report to moderator
Jasmin

Thats pretty smart I guess to push back the date (in a way). I really wasn’t a Potter fan myself until about last month. I’m not sure but I think it also had something to do with twilight, as many fans were greatly anticipating that…

Posted by Jasmin on December 28, 2008, 08:32 PM report to moderator
Dumbledores man through and through!

I agree with Adam, and I really feel bad for u Jasmin, u really missed out.
I h8 WB, they are stupid!!!!!

Posted by Dumbledores man through and through! on December 28, 2008, 09:02 PM report to moderator
Billy

Harry Potter will always do well and we have nothing to worry about. There’s a much larger and dedicated fan base (in my own opinion) to HP than Narnia anyway. Half-Blood Prince could come out tomorrow with no notice at all and it would still make millions.

Posted by Billy on December 28, 2008, 09:21 PM report to moderator
mollywobble

Wilson, I hear yah. I dropped my phone in some water on Saturday, and started to cry when I thought I had to shell out $200 for a new phone (that’s just for the crappy ones). Thank goodness I had insurance.

Michelle, I agree with you regarding quality. Dark Knight was a massive hit because it was one of the best films of the year. Twilight still made $70M in the first weekend though despite it’s “quality.” Granted many of the people who went to see it after that were in it for the “LuLz.” Anyway, Twilight is proof that if you make a cheap enough film, the fandom can make you boatloads.

As you said, Potter continues to shell out big numbers because of the quality. Still it costs hundreds of millions of dollars to make Potter films, which is why the studio may be concerned (also why major studios are dropping fantasy films). So, WB needs to start advertising like crazy for HBP, especially if Watchmen gets crushed. If Fox wins that suit, WB has to rely heavily on Potter and Terminator Salvation to get them through that quarter of the year. They also need a smart campaign for Deathly Hallows to keep people interested. An online diary would be perfect.

Still, we don’t need to worry about Deathly Hallows being canned. If any thing, WB moving HBP to the summer proves how important this franchise is to the studio. They need us. Bad.

Posted by mollywobble on December 28, 2008, 09:40 PM report to moderator
Ravenclaw from Glenn

I think what WB is worried about isn’t that the fanbase will give up on the series for the last three movies, but that the general public will. The general public accounts for a lot of the box office – people who have never read the books – and if they decide to spend their dwindleing descretionary money on “new” movie subjects rather than the continuing story of Harry, that could really be a problem.

Broadway is seeing a significant drop in box office, so much so that big shows like Hairspray and Spamalot are closing. I don’t think that even WB would be dumb enough to cancel the last film because the fanbase outcry would be deafening. But project cancellations are happening. Disney had backed out of the third Narnia film and the second movie in the “Golden Compass” series is probably not going to be made. It’s belt tightening all around.

Posted by Ravenclaw from Glenn on December 28, 2008, 10:38 PM report to moderator

"There you go, Harry!" Ron shouted over the noise. "You weren't being thick after all -- you were showing moral fiber!"