Alan Rickman to Film Deathly Hallows Scenes in Late 2009

Rickman
December 05, 2008, 08:02 AM

Actor Alan Rickman has given a new interview to SCI-FI Wire where he discusses his filming schedule in his role as Severus Snape for Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. In the interview he says he will be filming late in 2009, mentioning working with Ralph Fiennes (Lord Voldemort) for those pivotal and dramatic scenes at the end of Deathly Hallows. Mr. Rickman said: "Well, because they have to get me and Ralph Fiennes together, it means I don't start shooting it until the end of next year, which means I get room now in this coming year," he said. "So it's going to be long. I was talking to Helena [Bonham Carter] yesterday. I think she starts in June, and she goes on for a long time."

Alan Rickman also spoke briefly about the decision to split the filming of the book into two films, noting "Well, it'll be a big finish, won't it?" Rickman said. "That's true, and appropriately. You can feel it now, the size of the undertaking. Watching Daniel [Radcliffe], I saw a trailer for him being on Inside the Actor's Studio, and you think, 'Wait a minute, he's 12! Oh. Perhaps he isn't."

Thanks Wendy and Martha!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Rickman News

Christine

Oh! He is so amazing! I love him. And I cannot waitttttttttt for his scenes. :D

Posted by Christine on December 05, 2008, 08:05 AM report to moderator
wingardium

Its so great that they’re already talking about filming Deathly Hallows, July still seems far away, but its nice to have something to keep us going.

I love Alan….can’t wait to see those scenes.

Posted by wingardium on December 05, 2008, 08:31 AM report to moderator
Professor Potter

Oh man, now I am suddenly feeling old, seeing Dan controlling an audience like that, and Emma modelling (gracefully)!

Poor Alan. I get the feeling he is feeling very old seeing the children become adults in the space of what probably feels like 1 week in Alan’s eyes! He is only 60 for pete’s sake but he was making jokes of soon being in a wheelchair and oxygen ventilator the other day! Snap out of it, mate, lot more great stuff ahead for you ;)

Posted by Professor Potter on December 05, 2008, 08:59 AM report to moderator
sasha

That’s cool,but does that mean that there isn’t a Dark Lord Ascending part to DH1 then?

Posted by sasha on December 05, 2008, 09:50 AM report to moderator
Leif Longbottom

I bet the last one will be the best one.

Looking forward to seeing Nobel Son (starring Rickman) this weekend.

Posted by Leif Longbottom on December 05, 2008, 09:50 AM report to moderator
Siena

This will be amazing – Ralph Fiennes and Alan Rickman together in one of the most important scenes of the whole book !! Nothing against Daniel Radcliffe – I think the guy has grown and is finally living up to his role as Harry – but I fear that Fiennes and Rickman are more than Radcliffe can chew – not to mention swallow … poor Rickman, you say ??? Poor Radcliffe and Watson, I’d say.. the only two young actors who stand a chance against Fiennes, Rickman, Carter are Tom Felton and Evanna Lynch, in my opinion.

Posted by Siena on December 05, 2008, 09:51 AM report to moderator
tiddlywinks

Sasha, remember that both parts of DH are being filmed at once. All of the scenes are not necessarily shot in the order we will watch them. There could very well be scenes about chapters from the beginning of the book that won’t be shot until the end of 2009.

Posted by tiddlywinks on December 05, 2008, 09:59 AM report to moderator
Professor Potter

@Sienna, yeah I look forward to those scenes too! But actually I would say lucky Dan, Emma, Rupert, Felton, Lynch etc, for having such a great opportunity to act and learn from these great talents! And for me, there is no question that they have all made the most of learning a great deal from the experience and will continue to do so. I also think those young actors will always relish future collaborations as have the seniors have done when they were their age. Dan, in particular, I can see would become an actor of great stature and is certainly proving to be quite fearless in his trade, so he will hold his own with Rickman and Fiennes. What am I saying, he already has! But they are all playing off each other, its teamwork, (almost a family!) there is no competing on who’s the better actor. They are also clearly relishing their roles. Everyone was cast in their roles because the casting director saw potential in each one.

Posted by Professor Potter on December 05, 2008, 10:27 AM report to moderator
specgaloop

I can’t wait to see the scene where harry is under voldemort and snape and Nagini kills snape then when harry comes out, snape shows him his past memory with harry’s mother….I was feeling SOOO emotional when i read that….SNAPE IS A GOOD MAN!!!!!!!!

They better put the scene where MacGonagall and snape confront each other and fight for a little bit…I WANNA SEE SOME PROFESSOR MCGONAGALL ACTION!!!!! XD XD

Posted by specgaloop on December 05, 2008, 11:12 AM report to moderator
Cat

Of all the characters that JKR created … Undoubtedly the most complex, conflicted, and strangely charismatic is Severus Snape. And there is no actor living or dead that IMO could have brought him to life like Alan Rickman. Truly a superb actor. And I have seen him in many roles, comedy, dramatic, action, etc… and he has never ceased to amaze me with his extraordinary talent.

Posted by Cat on December 05, 2008, 11:41 AM report to moderator
BellaSnape

Awwww! Hes so cute. And HANDSOME. Actually hes 62yrs old and will be 63 on February 21st. But anyway, this is exciting but very sad at the same time- it means the real end, and death of my two favorite characters. Oh boy! I dont know how I will be able to handle that. I have become attached to them. But we will get to see some happy times before that unpleasant end. I find it funny that Him and Helena talk outside of filming- but Im sure through all the time they are on set they become friends and not to mention they did Sweeney Todd together and are doing a Real Life Alice and Wonderland together as well. P.S. Melissa I bought Harry a History- I cant wait to read it!

Posted by BellaSnape on December 05, 2008, 11:58 AM report to moderator
jain

evanna lynch and tom felton on par with alan rickman!!!! and what evidence is that based on?!

Posted by jain on December 05, 2008, 12:15 PM report to moderator
Debbie

wait, why is Bella getting more filming time than Severus. Thats not how I read the book!!

Posted by Debbie on December 05, 2008, 12:20 PM report to moderator
celia

I bet they’re going to film all the trio stuff first because they’re going to have to ALOT of on-location filming for all the tent scenes and all of that stuff. All of the scenes that involve Snape have all the older actors in them, so I bet they have to make sure they can get them altogether. With 18 months to film…they’re not going to finish filming until early 2010!!!! That’s a LONG TIME! It seems like it would be fun though. I wonder what Emma is going to do about school?!

Posted by celia on December 05, 2008, 12:46 PM report to moderator
celia

@ DEBBIE:

Just because Helena is starting to film earlier doesn’t mean she’s getting more screen time. They don’t film the movie in order…they film it out of sequence. So they’re probably going to do all of the Snape scenes together so that Alan Rickman won’t have to keep stopping and starting. He can just do it all at once. It’s the same way with all the actors. Plus most of the book focuses on the trio, so Dan, Rupert, and Emma will be their primary focus for quite awhile.

I can’t wait to see that sequence when they take Harry away from Privet Drive in the film…that was intense enough in the book, but I bet it will be RIDICOLOUSLY good on screen.

Posted by celia on December 05, 2008, 12:51 PM report to moderator

"If I get caught before I can get to the Stone, well, I'll have to go back to the Dursleys and wait for Voldemort to find me there, it's only dying a bit later than I would have, because I'm never going over to the Dark Side! I'm going through that trapdo